Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? (14084 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / The Scary Thing A Couple Received As Wedding Gift (photo) / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Kzinne: 7:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
omiobo:

Mr man get off this thread. It is a genuine question.

no wonder u were deported from afghanistan. idiot
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by cbi24: 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
for me joint account is the best..... cool
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Petbuk123(m): 7:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
Tel us more
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by sizzlers(m): 7:32pm On Apr 18, 2013
jummy05: it is the husband's responsibility to make provisions for the whole house even if the wife is earning income.....chikena
thank your god you are not close, I for give you a heavy knock
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by omiobo: 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2013
Kzinne: no wonder u were deported from afghanistan. idiot

gringrin
Stop kiss an older b*tch's as$. Get a life!
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by dayokanu(m): 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2013
We can see the post of several women who are born to be leeches already on this thread

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
Pampers: . That's y its just best to marry ur friend.

#tru
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2013
sizzlers: thank your god you are not close, I for give you a heavy knock

LMAO grin. grin grin
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by topmostg: 8:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
Ok ooo.
#learning#
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 18, 2013
Like some people say it depends on the couple...Example::: if your wife has a masters in accounting but you still want to control the house finances because you are the man of the house....then you are a silly man of the house.....who ever is good with the money should take care of finances...my wife runs a business and shes good with money so she takes care of all our money...if the money was left to me i can spend it on so many things...because to me I have a lot of good business ideas...that i would waste it on....but her...shes very good....she pretty much just let me know how much we have...and it works for me....
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 18, 2013
You got it.... cool
Mr knowitall.:
Like some people say it depends on the couple...Example::: if your wife has a masters in accounting but you still want to control the house finances because you are the man of the house....then you are a silly man of the house.....who ever is good with the money should take care of finances...
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by j4jj: 8:48pm On Apr 18, 2013
Temismith: A good Budget does it.

Budget? You must be an accountant! I am single and I earn an average working class income ( 100k & 150' per month) bt I foot the bills of my Parents and younger ones (2). I've tried a monthly budget several times but wouldn't work.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by j4jj: 8:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
cbi24: for me joint account is the best..... cool

I bet she has another bank account unknown to you smiley
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 18, 2013
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
Good plan....
xynerise: Even our baby has his own account which is like a fixed deposit until he is eligible to operete a bank account.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by j4jj: 9:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
sanb: Maybe you might need to look at the budget again and critically look at your income and expenditure. Also, do you put certain things as need or want as that can make a difference…

Not all the time bt more often expenditure is always over income! Whenever I try a sustaining a cash budget! I see it as punishing my Parents which I don't like! I'm not a spend thrift neither am I a womaniser. Is just that there are certain basic expenses you just can not do without like tithes & offering, food, transport e.t.c. Though, in all this I always ensure dat my little savings are always intact.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 18, 2013
I agree; indeed there're certain expenses you can't do without....
j4jj:

[quote author=j4jj] Is just that there are certain basic expenses you just can not do without like tithes & offering, food, transport e.t.c.

The best plan; cos you never know when the savings would come in handy..and that's why you have saving for a rainy day......
j4jj: Though, in all this I always ensure dat my little savings are always intact.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by swtcharissa(f): 9:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
I don't work,but my hubby is a civil servant n Biz man,I KϞ0w his basic salary as in take home,,he is a good giver but not so much a good saver,so what I do is I always save cash when he gives me and d kids excess,of which he doesnt KϞ0w,funny enough I left my ATM card with him,n he is always proud T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ KϞ0w that his housewife always bails him out of his financial stréss

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by chiteny(m): 9:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
ONE MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S DOG! cool
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Sormeh: 10:11pm On Apr 18, 2013
It's a norm 2 say the man should shoulder d responsibities but it should be a sane practice at the same time 4 the woman 2 contribute at least 30% since they are now clamouring 4 support in the chores et al. Here it's like a 90/10 thing 4 finance & 30/70 chores etc...
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by DukeNija(m): 10:46pm On Apr 18, 2013
Sweetapple007: Did u marry her because of her money? A man is the head of a family, family responsibilities re f men, woman helps if she feels like. Or do u expect a woman after passing hell in child birth, nursg, ad house chores to give u all her money, do ur part ad forget womans money.

Women like you should be housewives!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by MMotimo: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2013
The issue of finance is so hard for my people, it really shouldn't be undecided
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
@op we hv diff accts.hubby don't even want to no my pin numbers. He earns more than me and still give me pocket money aside house money. So I virtually do nothin with my own money but every now and then I buy things and foot some bills adamantly!maybe I can save and build a house wit my own money one day! Dat will be nice!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by flyforall: 12:58am On Apr 19, 2013
It depends on the both parties involved i believe.
A man should provide food, shelter, education and clothing for his children
Any other thing can be split by both parties or paid by anyone
who is earning more. Money is a means of exchange and shouldn't
define happiness in a relationship.It should be spent and saved prudently.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by jagabanban: 7:22am On Apr 19, 2013
We operate separate accounts but know what each other earn.

Each has an allocation for other expenses. The rest of her income is spent on household related expenses while mine go on the investments.

If there's gonna be any deviation, we talk about it and take a decision.

Sounds easy? Not at all! You'll be surprised at some of the arguments that ensue if we are unable to reach a compromise on an issue.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Gistben: 7:48am On Apr 19, 2013
Am not married yet but longing to contribute by next year after my weddin jumbileeeeeee....... Mmmmmmm can't wait........
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by 2legit2qwt: 8:49am On Apr 19, 2013
jagabanban: We operate separate accounts but know what each other earn.

Each has an allocation for other expenses. The rest of her income is spent on household related expenses while mine go on the investments.

If there's gonna be any deviation, we talk about it and take a decision.

Sounds easy? Not at all! You'll be surprised at some of the arguments that ensue if we are unable to reach a compromise on an issue

Interesting what money can cause. Some interesting ideas so far, i know this thread is gonna be useful someday
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Jarus(m): 9:05am On Apr 19, 2013
She has business (clothes, jewelry) , I do 8-5.

We opened an account for family use, but we dont fund it. I make monthly remittance into her personal bank account (or cash sometimes) for home upkeep. That's all, except some obligations come up that require me to drop additional money.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by egariyi(f): 9:36am On Apr 19, 2013
While it is the responsibility of the man to provide for the home, if the woman earns more, she should automatically take up most of the responsibilities without being asked to do so. The bible stated that the woman is a help meet and that includes finance too. I dont buy the idea of over burdening the man to cater for the home when it is within the reach of the woman to help. That type of mentally is only common with Naija women - the man must provide. It is wrong!! My husband and I jointly run our home, sometimes, I pay the children's fees, does repairs, family vacations etc. I do it happilly without any compulsion. Note, we operate our separate accounts but we have one joint account for project savings.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by etochi11(m): 9:40am On Apr 19, 2013
jummy05: it is the husband's responsibility to make provisions for the whole house even if the wife is earning income.....chikena
cry cry cry
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Elai147: 10:03am On Apr 19, 2013
I have been married for over 6 years now and during this period I have been the one handling all our family responsibilities from buying of baby diapers, food, etc to our investments. During the first 5 years of our marriage my wife was not working due to circumstances but we have been operating a joint account- an account solely funded by me. I was even responsible for whatever monies that she sent to her dependant siblings. Now that she is working, do you expect such wife to be keeping a separate account and spending the money the way she likes? That's definitely not going to happen.

I have read a lot of posts here and was amazed. Apparently most of the people saying the wife should support if she likes aren't even married. I mean, this is not a boyfriend/girlfriend affair. We are talking about a lifetime affair here and I think this is a thread for married couples only.

I believe there should only be a joint account with the man as the financial overseer as has been ordained by God. This is my opinion oo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Doesn't Like Sex....wat Do I Do / Have You Seen Kemisola Uthman Ogunyemi? / My Wedding Date Is Fixed, But I Have Just N100,000.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.