Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? (14075 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / The Scary Thing A Couple Received As Wedding Gift (photo) / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Reelsteel: 10:43am On Apr 19, 2013
egariyi: While it is the responsibility of the man to provide for the home, if the woman earns more, she should automatically take up most of the responsibilities without being asked to do so. The bible stated that the woman is a help meet and that includes finance too. I dont buy the idea of over burdening the man to cater for the home when it is within the reach of the woman to help. That type of mentally is only common with Naija women - the man must provide. It is wrong!! My husband and I jointly run our home, sometimes, I pay the children's fees, does repairs, family vacations etc. I do it happilly without any compulsion. Note, we operate our separate accounts but we have one joint account for project savings.

my dear you are very right
Its funny how a lot of women think in this 21th century where every woman is calling for gender equality, yet you manage to see some woman who still want to remain housewives only to make babies as there contribution to building a family this is typical of the 18th century.
I'm not married but my opinion is that a couple should operate there separate accounts and open a joint account after marriage where certain percentage ,( probably 65% of the man and 35% of the woman assuming the makes much more) of the income would be deposited for the up keep and running of the family(kids school fees, house rent, buying cars, bills, etc). your separate remaining percentage would be for your personal use( upgrading career, helping your separate families, clothing yourself, buying gifts for each other, doing Investments).
I still believe the ma. should put more percentage though.
but thats just one man's opinion.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by mhm(m): 1:14pm On Apr 19, 2013
It really depends on individual circumstances. In my case for instance, I earn much much mire than my wife. So we calculated the total amount required for the month and i transfer to a joint account monthly. she manages this account.

The story would have been different if we earned about the same or if I was unable to meet the financial commitments.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by terrificspartan(f): 1:43pm On Apr 19, 2013
Well like someone rightly stated.. Circumstances vary and situations also change over time
Let me share a story with you... I know a couple, when they got married the guy took care of everything, the lady was a corp member.. Even till the point when the lady was retained and started receiving income, he still bore most of the financial responsibility. He however encouraged the lady to save for the raining day.. They had a joint account which only the guy serviced; the lady never saw the need to deposit money in the Joint Account
The lady knew how much he earned, knew the PIN to his cards.. as far as I know he was very sincere to the lady in all ramifications
However, the guy's stopped working for close to 1 year and he also had an health condition.. Ideally the lady should have assisted with finances etc.. However that was not the case, the lady didn't even help with his medically expenses.. he was on his own. They ran into debts and they lady told everyone it was as a result of the guy being without a job
Fortunately for him, he got a job and he decided to be discreet. Now the lady doesn't know how much he earns and he tries to share the expenses his wife..
Especially for a man it is not good to be a liability of any sort, people could be funny especially when there are challenges.
We need God's guidance in making certain choices and decisions

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by bukatyne(f): 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
terrificspartan: Well like someone rightly stated.. Circumstances vary and situations also change over time
Let me share a story with you... I know a couple, when they got married the guy took care of everything, the lady was a corp member.. Even till the point when the lady was retained and started receiving income, he still bore most of the financial responsibility. He however encouraged the lady to save for the raining day.. They had a joint account which only the guy serviced; the lady never saw the need to deposit money in the Joint Account
The lady knew how much he earned, knew the PIN to his cards.. as far as I know he was very sincere to the lady in all ramifications
However, the guy's stopped working for close to 1 year and he also had an health condition.. Ideally the lady should have assisted with finances etc.. However that was not the case, the lady didn't even help with his medically expenses.. he was on his own. They ran into debts and they lady told everyone it was as a result of the guy being without a job
Fortunately for him, he got a job and he decided to be discreet. Now the lady doesn't know how much he earns and he tries to share the expenses his wife..
Especially for a man it is not good to be a liability of any sort, people could be funny especially when there are challenges.

Sorry but the wife is NOT a 'wife'.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Elai147: 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2013
terrificspartan: Well like someone rightly stated.. Circumstances vary and situations also change over time

I think any woman who does that should be sent packing. I personally will not have anything to do with such a woman never again.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Tobiegal(f): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2013
For us is basically simple.

We share most of our expenses and yes, we have our account until recently when we needed to embark on a "House-Project".

We have since opened a joint account to be serviced by both of us at varying percentage depending on the total cost.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by MMotimo: 8:34pm On Apr 19, 2013
@ terrific

Yorubas would say he married his enemy

"O ti fi ota se aya"
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by ironben(m): 7:14am On Apr 20, 2013
nairaman66: The lady should be stingy with her punnano, in other to avoid too much babies!! undecided
nwa bingo
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by ironben(m): 7:19am On Apr 20, 2013
Kzinne: is it ur business? people come here to ask all sorts of questions- how to go to the toilet, how to eat, how to toast a girl, how to get a husband- and yet the jobless mods wud put it on frontpage
if yu've got nothin to learn from or add to this thread other than being a destructive critic, pls zip it and park well sir.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
If u are not married its best to keep separate accounts. Of u are married or in a legal partnership it's best to allocate who pays what and wen depending on the income each of them make. So long both parties receive income monthly/weekly they should contribute to the household expenses together, you can have a joint account strictly for the maintenance of household expenses and keep separate accounts for money used for other purposes
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by andyanders: 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2013
It all depends on couples. To me, I prefer my wife keeping our money in her account. I transfer my money to her account and this has made us to always plan things together. We do budgeting together and we go to the bank and she withdraws. She has never collected any money without my consent despite my advise that she can take money for any little thing she wants to do for the family. We plan and budget ahead by providing household needed items that lasts for about 3 months ahead.
We go to the bank together though we do not have joint account. I hate keeping money as I can give out my last to anybody in need.
Since my wife keeps the money, any amount I go out with, I spend within my limit and this has helped for us to carry capital projects and executing them without pain.Personally, I do not know how to hide money from my wife. I open up to her whenever any payment is made to my account, I transfer same to her account for safekeeping.

In fact, when couples carry themselves along, you wouldn't be having much problems planning and trusting each other.
It has worked for me and I believe that couples planning together will help in building up trust.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by charlsecy(m): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
@jagabanban @egariyi @Reelsteel @mhm @andyanders
The foundation of a marriage lies in being the right person yourself, and marrying the right person too.

I don't believe in the so-called separate accounts for couples. They should be signatories to all the accounts they keep money in so that the other partner doesn't run into legal bottlenecks in accessing the funds upon the death of one of the partners.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by charlsecy(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
Sweetapple007:
woman helps if she feels like.
If the wife earns, she must contribute.

Sweetapple007:
do u expect a woman after passing hell in child birth, nursg, ad house chores to give u all her money, do ur part ad forget womans money.
What if she is barren?
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by ibechris(m): 3:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
jummy05:
it is the husband's responsibility to make provisions for the whole house even if the wife is earning income.....chikena

In this economy,pray let this archaic thinking not put your into trouble.

Talk is cheap,first marry and see.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by ibechris(m): 3:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
Elai147:

I think any woman who does that should be sent packing. I personally will not have anything to do with such a woman never again.

I am with u.
That is horrible!
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by ibechris(m): 4:18pm On Feb 16, 2022
Any woman that sees helping her husband as a taboo must be a wicked woman.
What is there,how should one man take care of the house for 30 years while the working class woman would see nothing wrong in her actions.

I don't collect my wife's money,despite the fact that her salary is times two of my own,but my investments together with my salary is time 4 of what she earns yet we have all our savings in mutual funds account.

She contributes her quota adequately without me telling her. But I detest any woman who feels a womans money is not for the family,then what is it then for.
For buying of inconsequential right?

Nigerian woman make una get sense small.

90% foreign woman contribute their salary down to mortgage,school fees and u name it. And in old age,u will still see them living well and healthy,but here in Nigeria,the man will suffer and die and the same wicked woman would be claiming landlady as if she played any role in the man's life.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Doesn't Like Sex....wat Do I Do / Between Husband, Lover: Court Orders DNA Test Over Paternity Of 3-yr-old Boy / My Wedding Date Is Fixed, But I Have Just N100,000.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.