Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,983 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies (14995 Views)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Fashola Becomes Minister For Power, Housing And Works: A New Dawn! / Abdulsalami Wins Bid For Four PHCN Distribution Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Goddex: 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2013
Gbawe:

By selling DISCO to Abdulsalami and co with no previous capacity or expertise to operate in the sector? What caused the fuel subsidy scam again? Look, the privatisation of the power sector is a good thing but there should always be the flexibility to give deserving States the chance to craft unique solutions to match their own specific needs. State privatisation should be an option if we are in a purist federal arrangement. This will not be the first time the FG has played politics to impede the progress of Lagos. OBJ even made it virtually FG policy to say an outright No, even before he has considered the argument, to anything Lagos suggested.

Not too long ago on this forum we all praised the coming of legislation to allow States generate and distribute power. Is that not virtually State privatised power solution? Is it then not inane that States cannot submit bids to run Distribution Companies? What is the problem, when legislation is already in place giving States distribution autonomy in the sector, with letting Lagos acquire distribution Companies within it's border?

When has privatisation meant excluding States from bidding meritoriously for considerations that should be open to all? Is it not obvious that this is then no longer "privatisation" in the strict sense of the word? Look deeper and , like the fuel subsidy scam, you will see the same desire for a few to keep their hands in the cookie jar through favoured/selected cronies. Tell me where this rejection puts the thread below where virtually all Nairalanders, including myself, praised the positive effort of the FG. Logically inspected, without sentiments and in view of latest developments backed by legislation, does the refusal of the FG not appear like sabotage of Lagos to you?

https://www.nairaland.com/818599/states-begin-power-distribution-january

Let Fashola provide Lagosians with pipe-borne water.
Public water supply is almost entirely a state government affair.
We are forced to live on "satchet water" we don't know the source.
ACN propagada machine has a way of playing on our phsyche by blaming Fed Govt for every ill and making it look as if they love the people more.

6 Likes

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ShalomNigeria: 3:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
ol2012: 2 answer d bolded, yes d legislation I think prohibits state govts from biding directly 4 DISCOs. If u'v been following d process u'l remember d govts of Ondo, Ekiti, Delta & Edo states actually setup a private consortium together with other organizations 2 bid 4 Benin DISCO. D bid was disqualified 4 2 reasons according 2 d Chairman of d NCP technical committee(Atedo Peterside) overseeing d process. D consortium submitted 2 different bids against d rules & non of d 2 even met d requirements as contained in d bid document. Lagos state govt had d option of patnering wit any of d consortia dat bidded 4 Eko & Ikeja discos since they were well aware of d legislation. I'm not sure they did though.
I hope people have been following your explanation rather than their PDP vs APC/ACN positions. To support your points, The Port Harcourt DISCO was actually won by a consortium comprising of Some Niger Delta states and a technical partner. The truth is Lagos should have been serious then if the state was really interested knowing that the two DISCOS will attracts financial heavy weights because of their prospects. I am praying that the youth of our country (which I believe this forum boost of reasonable percentage)will be more objective in their criticisms of political office holders. We should be wise enough to know that Nigerian politicians are the same and the beautiful ones are not yet born. Or what should we say of the reason given to increase the tenure of local governments excos in Lagos. If they are saying a LG chairman will need a year to familiarized with his local govt (a place that is assumed to be is constituency and already aware of events within), how long should it take a governor and a president to know the state and country respectively? The earlier we let them know we are not ignorant of their deceptions, the better they will all take the issue of accountability in governance seriously.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by superbloke(m): 3:50pm On Apr 24, 2013
ol2012: As 4 ur concerns xpressed in d bolded, d FG is still holding on 2 d transmission segment of d power sector(Obviously d most critical). As such dat shouldn't really be a concern. While I'm not a jonathan admirer, I strongly believe he appears 2 be serious wit dis power issue. Maybe Nigerians just need 2 be a bit patient.
Yea, I'm aware of the FG still being in control of the transmission company. Anyway, seems LASG wanted full control of those DISCOs.Thanks for responding maturely.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Reference(m): 3:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
IOMN:

I cannot possibly understand why in the world solar energy has not been adopted. It absolutely baffles me. It seems like a complete no brainer. It would especially solve the rural access issue. The process is not as intricate as installing electrical power lines either. I think solar is roughly almost 90 percent cheaper to install. I am getting angrier just thinking about it angry. I think the only reason why there is not a widespread adoption is probably because the profit margins are considerably smaller.

Are you talking about micro or macro generation scales because the only advatage solar power has is scale (you can generate any amount of power you wish). The downsides are just too many. If it was that attractive carbon-fuels, nuclear and other renewables will have gone extinct by now.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by lastpage: 4:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
ShalomNigeria:
I hope people have been following your explanation rather than their PDP vs APC/ACN positions. To support your points, The Port Harcourt DISCO was actually won by a consortium comprising of Some Niger Delta states and a technical partner. The truth is Lagos should have been serious then if the state was really interested knowing that the two DISCOS will attracts financial heavy weights because of their prospects. I am praying that the youth of our country (which I believe this forum boost of reasonable percentage)will be more objective in their criticisms of political office holders. We should be wise enough to know that Nigerian politicians are the same and the beautiful ones are not yet born. Or what should we say of the reason given to increase the tenure of local governments excos in Lagos. If they are saying a LG chairman will need a year to familiarized with his local govt (a place that is assumed to be is constituency and already aware of events within), how long should it take a governor and a president to know the state and country respectively? The earlier we let them know we are not ignorant of their deceptions, the better they will all take the issue of accountability in governance seriously.

Good Points!

I think that as we discuss issues and exchnage ideas, we should all get to a point were WE CAN SUMMARIZE and reach a sort of "position" on critical issues that affect us and our children's future.

In that resepect, taking into cognizance the public's fear of Tinubu acquiring every Govt structure in Lagos (To be honest, he has a history of these type of shennanigans, using cronies) and the situation where Lagos is being crippled by the lack of adequate power supply, the prospensity for Govt-run business to nose-dive and gulp money unnecessarily, the penchant for "some" individuals to connive with the likes of El Rufai, to buy National assets for PEANUTS, only to strip it bare and profit from such (instead of developing, building and nurturing it as intended... and their are glaring examples of these, so no arguments needed),....

We MUST articulate a position which counters all these "negatives" while emphasizing the "positives"

What we need is SOLUTIONS WHICH SOLVES THE PROBLEMS.
We cannot continue to toy with our country's future, while playing dirty politics.
The Politrick-cians already stole us dry and they are laundering the money by using it to buy states assets (they learned that from Russia, me thinks) and turning themselves into overnight Multi-Billionaires!
This is not good for the country, North, South, East or West.

The arguement given in respect of the local Govt issue is purile, to put it mildly!
Its nausaeting to read.

Anyone that needs a whole year to 'aclamatize' to office, in an environment where they live and are considered 'grassroots' is NOT FIT for that office. SIMPLE.

Otherwise, let every 'aspiring' LGA Officer FIRST do the aclamitization (whatever that means?) before venturing for elective office.

As for power, no one wants to leave the "chain-process of his business" in the hands of others.
What l mean is that, if l invest a lot to generate electricity and l have to depend on another company for its distribution (entirely), then l am supsceptible to the whims and caprices of that other company becaue without them, l cannot sell my product and l may suffer loss, if and when they decide to "arm-twist" me.

For this reason, a business person or venture financier would love to be in total control of the "chain of process" of its products, from Generation to Consumption.
But be as it may, by having SHARES in such down-stream sectors of the business, these fears may be allayed.

We need honest and open-minded people who are not led by filthy lucre and party politics.
Nigeria is our country and what we make of it is our responsibility!

Where is our sense of Patriotism naah?
I know we've been lied to, misled, neglected and abused but. ....

Hey we cant give up on our own country?

My Take.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Reference(m): 4:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
ceejay80s: When will FG sell 3rd mainland bridge?

They can and perhaps they should. Afterall Lagosians are comfy with paying road tolls.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by karlmax2: 4:16pm On Apr 24, 2013
ol2012: D power project being promoted by d Rivers state govt is a GENERATION & not a DISTRIBUTION company. All distribution companies unbundled from PHCN were offered 2 d private sector with about 10% stake(not sure) reserved 4 govts of their host states. The power sector reform act makes provision for every interested investor(local/foreign)as well as govts(federal, state & even financially capable local govts) 2 invest in d power GENERATION segment of d emerging power market.
they never did they were busy criticising the process that it was never going to work.that it was a fraud .
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Chinom(m): 4:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
I would rather it goes to pure private companies. Lagos state govt may not always be the way it is now. Besides Fashola has just a few more years to go. State govts could destabilize DISCOS and WE Lagosians will suffer it.

We want REAL privatisation.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
ZUBY77: Dear Lagos state,
The federal govt is trying to privatize these things for effective management. Why would it sell it to another govt establishment?
Govt regimes are bound to change every four or eight years in every state. How do you plan to transit from the current govt to the future one especially when it comes to these structures. No, we want it in the hands of individual companies .

I will not be surprised when the bigots turn this into ACN vs PDP
The part of the constitution the exclusively leaves the distribution of electricity in the hands of the FG is killing the economy. While states can generate power, they are constitutionally empowered to distribute, as it is not in either the concurrent or residual list.
On the planned sale of the National Theatre, I ask, is the FG broke that it wants to sell the national edifice that is reputed to be largest in the world? If the FG sells it to Lagos State Government there is no problem because it will still be owned by government, though not the FG.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Reference(m): 4:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
BetaThings:

No, I cannot imagine. I have 3 lines, all of them are the same, govt or no govt.
I am sure that you might be thinking of moving from MTN to Glo while your hubby is porting from Glo to MTN
I was thinking that NCC will allow us to Port to Verizon or T Mobile

Ha, ha. No chance. Bring those chaps in and they'd get lost in our jungle.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by slimfit1(m): 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2013
Let fg sell it to a reasonable company Lagos state don't and should nt have any business in this kind of area regulate it if u could shekana
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
If Lagos State is serious, they should rather invest in GENCOs and not DISCOs, who will generate Power for them to Distribute. This is Greediness, Federal Government should not sell any DISCOs to Lagos. When other States were building IPPs, Lagos was busy building Toll-Gates.

2 Likes

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ocelot2006(m): 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2013
Those clowns in Lagos are not serious. So the FG refused to sell the DISCos in Lagos to them, big whoop. Did they ever consider the possibility that another conglomerate/coy with better technical skills and bigger pockets outbidded them? And why don't they build their own distribution system? Afterall, the FG via NERC already granted states the authority to distribute locally.

Finally, since when did the LASG have a say on the National Theatre? Last time I checked, it was the SOLE PROPERTY OF THE FG, not partially owned by the FG and LASG. The FG Has every right to so whatever they want with that facility without consulting the state as it's non of the later's business.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 5:06pm On Apr 24, 2013
Billyonaire: If Lagos State is serious, they should rather invest in GENCOs and not DISCOs, who will generate Power for them to Distribute. This is Greediness, Federal Government should not sell any DISCOs to Lagos. When other States were building IPPs, Lagos was busy building Toll-Gates.

Olodo, Lagos built the first IPP in Nigeria and it was sabotaged by the same useless and incompetent bad bele people aka your cassava bread abuja uncles..

Lagos state built and is currently generating and distributing power via underground cable as we speak. Building IPP today means nothing to the people of the states involved in terms of 24/7 power supply because their IPP is a free gift to the obsolete national grid.

The so called private investors are in it to make money and if stripping and selling off the plants is more profitable from their business point of view, you'll end up with nothing including zero power and you can not do a damn thing about it.

All these internet school kids sef....
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 5:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Goddex:

Let Fashola provide Lagosians with pipe-borne water.
Public water supply is almost entirely a state government affair.
We are forced to live on "satchet water" we don't know the source.
ACN propagada machine has a way of playing on our phsyche by blaming Fed Govt for every ill and making it look as if they love the people more.

You mean the people of Lagos state and Nigerias do not deserve electricity until the state government give everybody water to drink? Is this your own warped idea of good public policy and administration?

Have you asked yourself why they still have water problem in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria?

1. Let's confine this to lagos state. The major reason why they are having water problem in Lagos state is because of the same power problem we are talking about, you need electricity to power pumps needed to get the water to the public 24/7 and you can not get water without power to power the pumps and in this area, your rubbish remains another ignorant and misplaced rubbish, your federal government is responsible for a major chunk of water problem in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria because of lack of 24/7 electricity.

2. Because the federal government's incompetency and corruption regarding power generation and distribution, Lagos state government end up puting up the resources to build IPP to power the 2 main water works for constant pumping of water, but the other water works across state are still at the mercy of the worthless federal eletricity.

3. Lagos state have built nothing less than 15 water works and to my knowledge, your useless and incompetent federal government is yet to build.

I've never seen a government elected and paid by the people work so hard to suppress and deny the same people growth and opportunities and you cheerleaders cheering them up are the even worse because for some dumb and re.tarded reasons, you people thinking prosperity and progress in Lagos state is not for every Nigerian or it's downfall wont touch every Nigerian.

You people and too sad and anti progress and humanity to belong to any sane society.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Rossikk(m): 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
thoth:

How do our people buy into this sort of reasoning? The Federal Government with its foreign neoliberal backers are trying to sell off every asset of interest to these financial vampires and that spells doom for Nigerians, in the name of privatization; Nigeria (meaning all the peripherals that marks its sovereignty) will be sold off, imagine where your federal government refuses to sell to the state but PREFERS a private investor, are you not alarmed ? how on earth can you link efficiency with private ownership ?

It worked for telecoms.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 5:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
Rossikk:

It worked for telecoms.

What telecoms? The telecom comps invested in and built their own infrastructures from bottom up, they didn't buy anything from the FG, unless maybe you are talking about Nitel which we all know how its story was written and how it was defrauded through the same bogus and corrupt privatization scam...
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by pssword: 5:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
They are refusing to sell to Tinubu lipsrsealed
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by iykak47: 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
Billyonaire: If Lagos State is serious, they should rather invest in GENCOs and not DISCOs, who will generate Power for them to Distribute. This is Greediness, Federal Government should not sell any DISCOs to Lagos. When other States were building IPPs, Lagos was busy building Toll-Gates.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by phantom(m): 5:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
thoth:

How do our people buy into this sort of reasoning? The Federal Government with its foreign neoliberal backers are trying to sell off every asset of interest to these financial vampires and that spells doom for Nigerians, in the name of privatization; Nigeria (meaning all the peripherals that marks its sovereignty) will be sold off, imagine where your federal government refuses to sell to the state but PREFERS a private investor, are you not alarmed ? how on earth can you link efficiency with private ownership ?
you must have fallen from the moon...no offence!
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by phantom(m): 5:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
IOMN:

I cannot possibly understand why in the world solar energy has not been adopted. It absolutely baffles me. It seems like a complete no brainer. It would especially solve the rural access issue. The process is not as intricate as installing electrical power lines either. I think solar is roughly almost 90 percent cheaper to install. I am getting angrier just thinking about it angry. I think the only reason why there is not a widespread adoption is probably because the profit margins are considerably smaller.
i am not an engineer but i have this feeling that the 'solar power' thing is not as easy as you think it is.there is a missing puzzle.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 6:02pm On Apr 24, 2013
phantom: you must have fallen from the moon...no offence!

The fact that you are too dull and lazy to articulate a suitable response to his points doesn't mean you have to spew the dumb and ignorant trash
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by phantom(m): 6:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
eko ilee:

You mean the people of Lagos state and Nigerias do not deserve electricity until the state government give everybody water to drink? Is this your own warped idea of good public policy and administration?

Have you asked yourself why they still have water problem in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria?

1. Let's confine this to lagos state. The major reason why they are having water problem in Lagos state is because of the same power problem we are talking about, you need electricity to power pumps needed to get the water to the public 24/7 and you can not get water without power to power the pumps and in this area, your rubbish remains another ignorant and misplaced rubbish, your federal government is responsible for a major chunk of water problem in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria because of lack of 24/7 electricity.

2. Because the federal government's incompetency and corruption regarding power generation and distribution, Lagos state government end up puting up the resources to build IPP to power the 2 main water works for constant pumping of water, but the other water works across state are still at the mercy of the worthless federal eletricity.

3. Lagos state have built nothing less than 15 water works and to my knowledge, your useless and incompetent federal government is yet to build.

I've never seen a government elected and paid by the people work so hard to suppress and deny the same people growth and opportunities and you cheerleaders cheering them up are the even worse because for some dumb and re.tarded reasons, you people thinking prosperity and progress in Lagos state is not for every Nigerian or it's downfall wont touch every Nigerian.

You people and too sad and anti progress and humanity to belong to any sane society.

cock and bull ! And for the person that liked this post, i can get you free psychiatric consultation.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by phantom(m): 6:22pm On Apr 24, 2013
eko ilee:

The fact that you are too dull and lazy to articulate a suitable response to his points doesn't mean you have to spew the dumb and ignorant trash
not surprised you didnt understand my reply.if you did, would have been shocked to my bones...lol.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Gbawe: 6:41pm On Apr 24, 2013

Is there no limit to the lies your sort will tell here just to support/oppose a Party/State/administrator? When I call you all losers you get angry and throw childish tantrums but you forget all the times your fraudulent submissions and blatant lies here mark you out as nothing but losers because you are overly sentimental and never work with facts and on-the-ground reality. How can you being that way then ever predispose you to winning in life? You can hate people but don't lie about them or their effort because you cross over into wickedness doing that.

Lagos State, with its proactive leadership seeing it now nominated as one of the most innovative cities of the world, has always exemplarily led the way everywhere. Whether it is PPP, security, efficient tax collection or the methodical approach to securing the greatest IGR increment seen in Nigeria, Lagos has always led the way. Same holds for IPP and people like you only display ignorance and a penchant for wickedness and bad belle mischief with your lies.

Some of us, always effective at critical thinking even if we have traditional bias and affiliations, know precisely what we are talking about when we say the FG has always deliberately attempted to undermine the progress of Lagos State. People like you should be ashamed of yourself and how you find it expedient to speak in support of the condemnable practice where an indolent FG acts as if a Nigerian State is its enemy merely because said State is controlled by the opposition. I am ashamed to be called a Nigerian with people like you because, through the grace of God, I am privileged to see first hand how effort is complementary and genuinely National in most countries of the world whereas Nigeria, as usual, must remain aberrant. Stop coming here with lies you are not bright enough to get away with while those who deal with facts are still members of this forum. You will only get discredited and shown up for the liar and ignorant hack that you are. Only God can forgive hateful, wicked and totally amoral liars like you.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/power-again-lagos-sets-the-pace-in-ipp/

Power: Again, Lagos sets the pace in IPP
on JUNE 15, 2011 · in FEATURES
12:00 am

By Yemie Adeoye and Charles Kumolu

Before 1999, the National Electric Power Authority,NEPA, had the sole monopoly of power generation and distribution in Nigeria. While there were suggestions on how to break that grip, Lagos State became the first state to do so with the initiation of Enron Power Project on August 1, 2009.

Consequently, the Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration, Yinka Folawiyo Power Limited and Enron Corporation of the United States signed an agreement for an Independent Power Plant, IPP, with the Federal Government as the guarantor.

The barge-mounted electricity generating plant was to be located adjacent NEPA’s Egbin Power Station, Nigeria’s biggest power plant.

This idea later became contentious following claims that the power generated was being transmitted to the National Grid for the use of the entire country, instead of only Lagos and this bordered on alleged failure by the parties to honour contractual and business obligations.

Despite the controversy surrounding the Enron power project, the Federal Government accepted the wisdom in breaking the monopoly of NEPA, which has since rechristined itself the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN. Hence the massive construction of power plants across the country and the planned privatisation of the ailing utility giant.

The impetus for this must have been the sustained calls for uninterrupted power supply in the country. Indeed not a few Nigerians have become impatient with the government over this highly embarrassing subject matter and this anger can only be felt with a short walk through the streets of major cities and towns across the country.

Angry mobs have attacked PHCN (the nation’s power utility company) stations in the past; some have waylaid and attacked official vehicles and personnel of PHCN, some have even killed staff of the utility company over electric power interruption during football matches. The list is endless.s

Faced with a situation that has seemingly defied every proposed solution, even as they keep paying for non-existent electricity supply they can only vent their anger on these innocent government workers who apparently are also experiencing incessant power outages in their various homes.

Assurances by the Federal Government at different times of planned improvement in the nation’s power generating capacity have all ended on a note of disappointment. Lanre Babalola, a doctorate degree holder was saddled with the responsibility of overseeing the Ministry of Power under the late President Umaru Yar’Adua administration. The very articulate, soft-spoken minister told the nation that there would be available to Nigerians before the end of December 2009, 6000 megawatts of electricity. That was never achieved before he got the boot after the demise of the President. Now the Goodluck Jonathan-led Federal Government has assured Nigerians of 13,000 Mw by 2013. But if the prevailing feeling is anything to go by, only few Nigerians have any confidence that the promise in this respect will ever come to fruition.

But the Lagos State government under the leadership of Governor Babatunde Fashola has decided to join the fray by embarking on an ambitious independent power project, with a targeted delivery time of about 18 months. According to the Governor, the target time frame “makes it the fastest ever executed Independent Power Project in Nigeria”.

The project which was done in conjunction with the Negris group immediately puts out of use a minimum of 30 diesel generating sets of between 100–1,000 KVA each, eliminating the inevitable pollution, noise and carbon monoxide caused by generators.

Speaking during the commissioning, Governor Fashola noted that the regulatory framework in the country had earlier made it difficult for state participation in such projects. “As you may be aware, the regulatory and statutory framework until recently restricted the involvement and participation of state governments in the provision of electric power. This constraint extended to both generation and distribution of electricity. Happily, as from the enactment of Electric Power Sector Reform Act, ESPRA, state governments and private investors alike may now partake in the business of provision and supply of electricity.

“With the change in the legal order we are able to use our innovative abilities to discharge our responsibility as a government to provide an enabling environment for the advancement of quality life style, trade and commerce, law and order, essential social services and the growth of small scale businesses, a crucial limb to the continuous development of any economy.

“In Lagos State today, industrialisation and general improvement in income and living conditions have resulted in increased demand for electricity. Recent date reveals that the power requirements of Lagos today is estimated at about 10,000-12,000 MW. This is in sharp contrast to the less than 1,000MW available to Lagos State from the national grid.

“The death of electricity has propelled our citizens to self-help, compelling them to be generators of their own electricity, resulting in emergence of all manners of domestic power generating sets. This has resulted in very high cost of electricity which unfortunately accounts for 30 per cent of operating costs of any business.

“This has many adverse social costs that are almost limitless in their dimension, erosion of disposable income for fuel to provide power, frustrations, health hazards, security failures, unemployment and so much more. Unfortunately, the provision of electricity and the management of power remains regrettably a matter of responsibility for the Federal Government which it is yet to discharge satisfactorily.

“As a Government that cares, we have refused to fold our arms. We have constantly kept to our promise to deliver; to continue to provide for the needs of the people of Lagos State. It is in keeping to this promise and the necessity to provide a platform for the promotion of the socio-economic well-being of the people that we commissioned the construction and development of this power plant,” he said.

[size=18pt]An elated Governor Fashola further informed that this was the third Independent power plant following the 270MW at Egbin, and the 12.5MW at Iju that the Lagos State Government is undertaking.[/size]

“As the bedrock of any development agenda, this administration has always considered the provision of stable power supply as being of the utmost priority. The provision of potable water, functional telecommunication services, security operations, traffic management, healthcare and education are all dependant on the availability of constant and stable electricity.

“Without recourse to any scientific analysis, it is without doubt that the demands for all of these services have tremendously increased in Lagos State, although we have had to improvise to provide power for their services. We have therefore by necessity become the laboratory for evolving home-grown solutions, through thinking and planning for our domestic challenges.

“We thought through the problem of powering critical public facilities like court houses and hospitals. We searched diligently for practical solutions. We subsequently found and collaborated with a reputable independent power producer. The result of that partnership is this 10MW electricity generating facility, the Island Power Project.

“The initiative of this project was induced by the necessity to consolidate the Justice Sector Reform agenda of the Lagos State Government. It was originally designed as a scheme which we tagged, “Powering Justice” proposed to supply electricity only to the Lagos State Government Court facilities in the Lagos Island axis, that is: High Court (Igbosere and Annex at TBS) and JIC Taylor Court House at Igbosere. The project was subsequently expanded to accommodate government health facilities and street lights on 20 streets along that corridor.

“This facility, built to highest global thermal operating plant standards will now provide 24 hours constant power supply to public facilities within the Lagos Island axis. The project, which includes an 18km dedicated underground distribution network, will supply power to the General Hospital (Lagos Island), the High Court, High Court Annex (TBS); JIC Taylor Court House, Igbosere; Maternity Hospital and the State House (Marina).

“The power plant will also provide electricity for the street lights on Broad Street, Tinubu Square, Bamgbose Street, Igbosere Road, Lawson Street, Moloney Street, Strachan Street, Okesuna Street, Hawley Street, Catholic Mission Street, Ganiyu Smith Street, Glover Street, Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Street, Brook Street, Joseph Street, Campos Street, Campbell Street, Ajele Street, Odunlami Street and Kakawa Street. In order to achieve this, the street lighting furniture on all of these 20 streets has been refurbished. The plant is powered by gas engines with diesel engines as backup.

“The commissioning of this plant immediately puts out of use a minimum of 30 diesel generating sets of between 100 – 1,000 KVA each, eliminating the inevitable pollution, noise and carbon monoxide caused by generators. This plant also has a vast cost-saving component to the state government of 46 per cent over project whole life cycle.

“An obvious benefit of the Island Power Project is its ability to drastically improve the reliability of power supply to the above mentioned government facilities from 35 to 100 per cent with the corresponding reduction in the operating costs and increased efficiency in this government facilities. It will also significantly improve the delivery of essential social services to the people of Lagos State.

“In a study recently carried out in the United Kingdom, it was demonstrated that street lighting is a more effective strategy of crime prevention as compared to CCTV. We expect therefore that since street lighting is an essential ingredient for improving security of any society, those streets covered by this project will only become more secure. The underlying advantage, however, is the improvement of law and order and the rejuvenation of night life economy in the axis.

“Cumulatively, the Island Power Project will be powering over 230 street light installations, 40 court rooms, eight operating theatres, a 153 chamber mortuary, 16 clinics/centres which include two HIV/AIDS clinics, two emergency centers that harbour three fully-equipped Lagos State emergency ambulances and a special babies unit.

“This project from conception to its commissioning today was undertaken in less than 18 months. This makes it the fastest ever executed Independent Power Project in Nigeria. It is also a further demonstration of the appreciation and commitment of the Government of Lagos State to the procurement and provision of infrastructure using the Public Private Partnership model.

“An interesting innovation of this project is that it comes with a 24 hour dedicated call centre for street light queries. This will ensure the immediate attention of relevant officials to issues relating to the street lights leading to the optimum utilization of the infrastructure.

“The people of Lagos State have been deprived of one of the essentials of decent living: constant, uninterrupted, affordable and clean electricity power supply for too long. This problem has its roots, amongst other things, in the lack of accurate data as to the actual power/energy requirements of the people of Lagos State. It is in view of this that the present administration in Lagos State has now embarked on a comprehensive state-wide power audit programme.

2 Likes

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2013
phantom: not surprised you didnt understand my reply.if you did, would have been shocked to my bones...lol.

Go away you Dumbo, my comment was too generous sef...

Cassava bread dullard...
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Smooyis(m): 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
ewet: WHEN WIL WE SEIZE TO PLAY POLITICS WITH EVRY THNG IN THIS COUNTRY.IF STATES SEE THE NEED TO TAKE POCESSION OF INSFRACTRUCTURE IN THEIR DOMAINS FROM THE FG SO BE IT.IF ANYTHNG GOES WRONG WE WILL KNW WHO TO BLAME.

I KNW THE LASG WILL DO A WONDERFULL TRANSFORMATION TO THE NATIONAL THEATHER BY MAKING IT AN EDIFICE OF WORLD REPUTE.AND ON POWER THE LASG WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE EFFICIENT POWER FOR THE STATE AND BEYOND IF THY ARE HANDED THIS POWER COMPANIES.

But they control water corporation. Do you get regular water supply in your area? For many areas in Lagos we depend on boreholes and wells. So it is better power distribution is giving to the private bidders for efficient running of the sector.

1 Like

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by Smooyis(m): 7:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
ewet: WHEN WIL WE SEIZE TO PLAY POLITICS WITH EVRY THNG IN THIS COUNTRY.IF STATES SEE THE NEED TO TAKE POCESSION OF INSFRACTRUCTURE IN THEIR DOMAINS FROM THE FG SO BE IT.IF ANYTHNG GOES WRONG WE WILL KNW WHO TO BLAME.

I KNW THE LASG WILL DO A WONDERFULL TRANSFORMATION TO THE NATIONAL THEATHER BY MAKING IT AN EDIFICE OF WORLD REPUTE.AND ON POWER THE LASG WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE EFFICIENT POWER FOR THE STATE AND BEYOND IF THY ARE HANDED THIS POWER COMPANIES.

Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ewet: 8:15pm On Apr 24, 2013
Omexonomy: this is how fash and tinubu took over badagry expresway from fed govt and the expresway as now turn into something else. Only for them to start blaming fg again.
You do not hav the details of wht transpired btw the FG and the LASG.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ewet: 8:19pm On Apr 24, 2013
taharqa: This is d MOST IGNORANT comment on this thread, in spite of there bn many more of such comments here.... Plz keep yr Mouth SHUT wheneva you dont hv a clue about a tin. Just sm advice

And you tht hav a clue abt all. can you please tell me wht the FG is stil doin with the national theater or the national stadium lagos?

The FG is in control of so many thngs thy shuld not hve any control over.
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 8:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
Smooyis: But they control water corporation. Do you get regular water supply in your area? For many areas in Lagos we depend on boreholes and wells. So it is better power distribution is giving to the private bidders for efficient running of the sector.

Ode. You need power and uninterrupted power supply to pump out water non stop. No power, no water.

The blame for your water nonsense still belongs to your federal government...
Re: FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies by ekoilee: 8:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
INVESTIGATION] The Massive MDG Fraud (2): How Nigeria’s water ministry steals billions, then leave the taps dry

Rather than help this country of 150 million people move closer to the MDGs, our investigations have shown that officials in government ministries, including that of water resources, are simply pocketing billions without executing projects for which they were released.

The water resources ministry (and the agencies under it) alone has mismanaged a huge chunk of the N320billion allocated to it to provide safe water for Nigeria ns and help the country attain the MDGs.

Water for MDGs

Provision of potable water is directly related to goal one of the MDGs and indirectly related to goals four, five and six. Potable water helps to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger while it also helps to reduce incidence of water borne diseases.

Due to the importance of potable water to the achievement of the MDGs, the Office of the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Millennium Development Goals (OSSAP-MDGs) chose the Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR) as one of the 10 beneficiaries of funds meant to achieve the MDGs

http://weircentreforafrica.com/2012/08/09/investigation-the-massive-mdg-fraud-2-how-nigerias-water-ministry-steals-billions-then-leave-the-taps-dry/

^^^^^^^^ For all the losers talking about water... That's your federal government for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Accredited Anambra Election Observers Arrested In Owerri, Imo State / Suicide Bomber Dies Near A Mosque In Maiduguri / President Buhari's Christmas Message To Nigerians: 'Better Days Are Ahead"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.