Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? (10470 Views)

8 Reasons Why Living With A Boyfriend Won't Lead To Marriage. / 5 Things Your Boyfriend Won't Tell You / Boyfriend Won't Marry Me Because I Can't Be His Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by dstiva99: 3:45pm On Apr 24, 2013
I'm a nigerian born, american raised woman who has been dating this guy on and off for two years now. He was raised in nigeria and came to the u.s. about 5 years ago. We dated for about 4 months and then broke up for a year because he said "he didn't know where his life was going and whether he was going to even stay in the u.s." His life began to get settled and we got back together over the last 6 months. Now that we are back together and solidly for the last 6 months, and since my mom was in town, I suggested that he come by to meet her. He said he would try and he is very busy in a PHD program where he has to study all the time to make sure he is not kicked out of the program so I understood. Then a few days went by and I reminded him that he should come by because my mom was only going to be around for a short while, he said he had forgotten she was around but that he couldn't meet her because he had to go out of town at the last minute for a wedding. I said, wow you are going to a wedding and I wasn't invited? He said he decided to go last minute and he did not bother inviting me because my mom was in town. He said he would meet her next time she was in town and that since we are moving into the same housing neighborhood in a few months, we are going to be neighbors so he was sure he would see her sometime soon. I confronted him for making excuses and said if he didn't want to meet my mom, he should just say so. He claimed that wasn't it, but I'm not sure. He knows how much my family means to me, why would he avoid meeting my mom? Is that a sign he is not serious about the relationship? He is someone I could see marrying but we have not talked about it. Why would he get back together with me after a year, and why would he be willing to buy a house in the same neighboorhood as my house if he isn't serious? I just don't understand his behavior, its confusing and it is something I would like to sort out before he becomes my neighboor, can't imagine him living next door to me and we are not together.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Sapphire86(f): 3:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
My dear, how do I say this gently?

He is nt that into you! Move on!

7 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Adufaye(m): 3:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
The is not really to be yours! Just walk away
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by omega25red(m): 4:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
poster

he is into you don't listen to the movie title these folks keep quoting. The fact is you both broke up before and you have only seriously been dating for 6 months as you said. For some men 6 months of dating is not enough time for them to feel like it's time to meet the parents. especially with our Nigerian culture which sometimes dictates that once you meet the parents you have already made your marriage intentions known.

The man was just trying not to hurt your feelings by say look we haven't been together long enough for me to want to meet your mom. You also know that if he would have said that you would be here crying that he doesn't love you. Anyway be patient with him 6 months is way early to start introducing your bf to your mom. He also has told you he would meet her the next time so just hold him to that promise if you guys are still together then.

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Kgdavid(m): 4:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
dstiva99: I'm a nigerian born, american raised woman who has been dating this guy on and off for two years now. He was raised in nigeria and came to the u.s. about 5 years ago. We dated for about 4 months and then broke up for a year because he said "he didn't know where his life was going and whether he was going to even stay in the u.s." His life began to get settled and we got back together over the last 6 months. Now that we are back together and solidly for the last 6 months, and since my mom was in town, I suggested that he come by to meet her. He said he would try and he is very busy in a PHD program where he has to study all the time to make sure he is not kicked out of the program so I understood. Then a few days went by and I reminded him that he should come by because my mom was only going to be around for a short while, he said he had forgotten she was around but that he couldn't meet her because he had to go out of town at the last minute for a wedding. I said, wow you are going to a wedding and I wasn't invited? He said he decided to go last minute and he did not bother inviting me because my mom was in town He said he would meet her next time she was in town and that since we are moving into the same housing neighborhood in a few months, we are going to be neighbors so he was sure he would see her sometime soon. I confronted him for making excuses and said if he didn't want to meet my mom, he should just say so. He claimed that wasn't it, but I'm not sure. He knows how much my family means to me, why would he avoid meeting my mom? Is that a sign he is not serious about the relationship? He is someone I could see marrying but we have not talked about it. Why would he get back together with me after a year, and why would he be willing to buy a house in the same neighboorhood as my house if he isn't serious? I just don't understand his behavior, its confusing and it is something I would like to sort out before he becomes my neighboor, can't imagine him living next door to me and we are not together.

dunno whether or not he is serious about you sista but if yur account as written above is accurate then yo man lied. if the reason he didnt invite yu to the wedding was specifically because your mom is around then that means he couldnt possible have forgotten that she was around. he lied.

5 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by remecy(f): 4:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
To be honest, where you are aiming at in the relationship is not his direction at all. Coming over to see your mum is a commitment he is not ready for right now. If you think time is not on your side please move on, cos i don't see him settling down anytime soon.

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Coldfeet(f): 4:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
Op come closer!! You see in my own opinion he came back to eat some more of YOU!! What could be keeping him from taking the next step with you if not that he has come back to keep you single a little longer for himself? You guys have been together long enough for him to know you well! so he shouldn't shy away from meeting your mum o! He is just not into you so MOVE ON ABEGI!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by jnrprof(m): 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2013
He's too busy with his PhD programme to come and see your mum, but he can create time to attend a wedding outside town.............that says a lot. Seeing your mum is not a priority for him, hence his lame excuse about forgetting that she was around. The issue with confronting him is that you may end up looking like a lady desperate for a husband. I'll say you should calm down a bit, be more observant and look for more subtle hints that could be the deciding factor as to whether he has serious plans for you or not.

3 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by greedie1(f): 4:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
Kgdavid:

dunno whether or not he is serious about you sista but if yur account as written above is accurate then yo man lied. if the reason he didnt invite yu to the wedding was specifically because your mom is around then that means he couldnt possible have forgotten that she was around. he lied.

tot im d only one dat saw dat....

erm op, i think he thinks 6 months is too early to meet ur mom. he isn't ready now, doesn't mean he won't be. if u want to be wit him, by all means go ahead but.don't think of wedding bells for now.

now, i don't think its a good sign dat he lied, i mean he can meet ur mom and still be just ur friend ryt? so sit him down and ask him wat his plans are and where d relationship.is headed, don't speculate, hear him out and decide for ursf

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
dstiva99: I'm a nigerian born, american raised woman who has been dating this guy on and off for two years now. He was raised in nigeria and came to the u.s. about 5 years ago. We dated for about 4 months and then broke up for a year because he said "he didn't know where his life was going and whether he was going to even stay in the u.s." His life began to get settled and we got back together over the last 6 months. Now that we are back together and solidly for the last 6 months, and since my mom was in town, I suggested that he come by to meet her. He said he would try and he is very busy in a PHD program where he has to study all the time to make sure he is not kicked out of the program so I understood. Then a few days went by and I reminded him that he should come by because my mom was only going to be around for a short while, he said he had forgotten she was around but that he couldn't meet her because he had to go out of town at the last minute for a wedding. I said, wow you are going to a wedding and I wasn't invited? He said he decided to go last minute and he did not bother inviting me because my mom was in town. He said he would meet her next time she was in town and that since we are moving into the same housing neighborhood in a few months, we are going to be neighbors so he was sure he would see her sometime soon. I confronted him for making excuses and said if he didn't want to meet my mom, he should just say so. He claimed that wasn't it, but I'm not sure. He knows how much my family means to me, why would he avoid meeting my mom? Is that a sign he is not serious about the relationship? He is someone I could see marrying but we have not talked about it. Why would he get back together with me after a year, and why would he be willing to buy a house in the same neighboorhood as my house if he isn't serious? I just don't understand his behavior, its confusing and it is something I would like to sort out before he becomes my neighboor, can't imagine him living next door to me and we are not together.
This guy aint into you and trust me you're probably not the only girl he's got. I'm sorry but truth is bitter.

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
Wahala dey sleep nyanga go wake am.

Op nawa to you.

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 24, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Popowaa: 5:21pm On Apr 24, 2013
Adufaye: The is not really to be yours! Just walk away

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by dstiva99: 5:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for all of the comments, being in the relationship, I feel that he does want to be with me but is not ready to progress the relationship forward in the same way I am. I am planning to sit him down and ask him for his intentions. My parents may be in a hurry to marry me off but the honest truth is I'm not. I think it is more important to find out from him WHETHER he see this relationship progressing and not WHEN he sees it progressing. Time is always of the essence for women, I guess, but I am willing to wait IF i know he wants to be with me long-term, guess the only way to find out if he is, is to ask him, which I will.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Sapphire86(f): 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
dstiva99: Thanks for all of the comments, being in the relationship, I feel that he does want to be with me but is not ready to progress the relationship forward in the same way I am. I am planning to sit him down and ask him for his intentions. My parents may be in a hurry to marry me off but the honest truth is I'm not. I think it is more important to find out from him WHETHER he see this relationship progressing and not WHEN he sees it progressing. Time is always of the essence for women, I guess, but I am willing to wait IF i know he wants to be with me long-term, guess the only way to find out if he is, is to ask him, which I will.

Enjoy your wait but if he ends up disappointing you, dont come back here o!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by dstiva99: 5:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
also, would him buying a house next door to my house be a "subtle sign"? not sure how to take that. He asked me about the house i recently bought and I introduced him to my realtor, then all of a sudden he decides to buy a house in the same neighboorhood and we later found out that it is the house next door to mine. I asked him if he had a problem living next door to me and he said no, why would I have a problem with that, its a good investment for us to both have houses. Not sure what to make of that?
jnr prof: He's too busy with his PhD programme to come and see your mum, but he can create time to attend a wedding outside town.............that says a lot. Seeing your mum is not a priority for him, hence his lame excuse about forgetting that she was around. The issue with confronting him is that you may end up looking like a lady desperate for a husband. I'll say you should calm down a bit, be more observant and look for more subtle hints that could be the deciding factor as to whether he has serious plans for you or not.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by numericalguy(m): 6:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
Those who say he's not that into you might not be correct. You say he is a PHd student, maybe he wants to take his studies to level before meeting the inlaws, because with your type of person once he meets your mom, the next thing you start nagging him that your mom wants him to hurry up and legalize the relationship and if he's not completely ready for that it might usurp a lot of things for him.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
Kgdavid:

Intelligent observation!

1 Like

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
He knows how you girls behave and trick us men, first is meet my parents, next is marry me ..

Na by force to meet your parents? , free the dude why should he meet your parents/mother?
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by emeraldtopaz(f): 8:09pm On Apr 24, 2013
Seein ur mum doesnt mean comitment.he could c ur mum today n dump u 2moro.just relax n enjoy ur life,u r nt goin 2 die weda he comits or nt,so chill
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Allegory(f): 8:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
Meeting the parents is a really big deal for some guys especially if they like you and don't want to blow it. Maybe he's just not ready to do it yet, just get on with your relationship till the day the opportunity would naturally present itself. A guy who wants to play you, would meet your parents and still dump you, forget what the books say.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by troy20(m): 9:20pm On Apr 24, 2013
HotNaijaBabe: From the little you have said..Your man moves at his own pace. It doesn't matter if u want to get married tomorrow, u just have to keep to his pace or let go. The point is, being a woman, u may want to speed things up a lil, but your man would drag his feet until he's comfy enough to move on to the next stage..I know his type, whatever u say, however loud you scream, he won't budge...(I usually see this as being selfish).
Only you knows if he truly loves you...

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by AZeD1(m): 10:57pm On Apr 24, 2013
Its funny how some people here conclude that the guy is not "into her" because of her refused to meet her mum.

OP i can't speak for the guy but i believe its no biggie.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by GboyegaD(m): 11:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
OP,
I suppose he is still trying to define the relationship well and feel it isn't yet time to see your mom. Just relax and don't fret.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by 190: 11:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
if a guy refuses to meet your peeps or family then know u are simply sailing at the middle of a desert

cant u ladies use your common senses these days or do u want Lord Elijah to come down from heaven and knock sense into

your head

damn

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by dstiva99: 11:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thanks guys for your comments, I am definitely going to talk to him as some have suggested. I am not trying to rush him or seem desperate but I do think I at least deserve to know where this relationship is headed. I have known him for 2 years and we have broken up and gotten back together now for 6 months now, when you look at it that way, I feel I should know whether staying with him is leading to marriage, particularly now when in the present relationship he DOES NOT have a lot of time to spend with me because he is in school. IF I did not think we had a future together, I would not be with him, because there are plenty of guys who would have more time to spend with me in the present but because I think we have a future together, I have stayed. That said, him not seeing my mom has made me doubt whether we have a future together and as some have suggested, it is better to know than to think, so I will ask him.
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by free2ryhme: 2:49am On Apr 25, 2013
you are failing to read the writings on the wall ... Don't say you weren't told
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 4:27am On Apr 25, 2013
dstiva99: Thanks guys for your comments, I am definitely going to talk to him as some have suggested. I am not trying to rush him or seem desperate but I do think I at least deserve to know where this relationship is headed. I have known him for 2 years and we have broken up and gotten back together now for 6 months now, when you look at it that way, I feel I should know whether staying with him is leading to marriage, particularly now when in the present relationship he DOES NOT have a lot of time to spend with me because he is in school. IF I did not think we had a future together, I would not be with him, because there are plenty of guys who would have more time to spend with me in the present but because I think we have a future together, I have stayed. That said, him not seeing my mom has made me doubt whether we have a future together and as some have suggested, it is better to know than to think, so I will ask him.

6 months is enough time for a grown man to know whether he wants to be with you or not long term. Lets call a spade a spade, the idea that naija men dont want to meet parents because it signifies an intention for marriage is false now. Times have changed, men now know they can meet parents and not marry you in the end no big deal. the point is that a man who really sees you as a potential would be grab a chance to get to know your family... PARTICULARLY as it gives him a chance to understand you from another perspective (the eyes of those who know you the best).

If i like a woman yes i would meet her family, it doesnt mean i will marry her next week. It simply means i am serious enough about her to get to know everything about her, her family included. Marriage should not be a commitment made in a vacuum, i dont need to wait until i am sure i will marry her before meeting the family. Making sure that the family is one that i will be comfortable being around is a big part of making that decision.

Mr man is dodging your mother because he has no interest in being with you long term. You are just a nice hold-over until he finds the real woman. If he truly loved you he would value the things that are important to you... your mother included. If my gf told me she forgot my mother was in town after i must have mentioned it 30 times then you best believe it is good bye from my end.

Buying a house close by you means nothing to a man. It simply means he has you at his beck and call... obviously you would be spending more time at his place cooking his meals, cleaning his home and playing wife. Why buy the cow when the milk dey free comes to mind.

2 Likes

Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Nobody: 8:56am On Apr 25, 2013
davidylan:

6 months is enough time for a grown man to know whether he wants to be with you or not long term. Lets call a spade a spade, the idea that naija men dont want to meet parents because it signifies an intention for marriage is false now. Times have changed, men now know they can meet parents and not marry you in the end no big deal. the point is that a man who really sees you as a potential would be grab a chance to get to know your family... PARTICULARLY as it gives him a chance to understand you from another perspective (the eyes of those who know you the best).

If i like a woman yes i would meet her family, it doesnt mean i will marry her next week. It simply means i am serious enough about her to get to know everything about her, her family included. Marriage should not be a commitment made in a vacuum, i dont need to wait until i am sure i will marry her before meeting the family. Making sure that the family is one that i will be comfortable being around is a big part of making that decision.

Mr man is dodging your mother because he has no interest in being with you long term. You are just a nice hold-over until he finds the real woman. If he truly loved you he would value the things that are important to you... your mother included. If my gf told me she forgot my mother was in town after i must have mentioned it 30 times then you best believe it is good bye from my end.

Buying a house close by you means nothing to a man. It simply means he has you at his beck and call... obviously you would be spending more time at his place cooking his meals, cleaning his home and playing wife. Why buy the cow when the milk dey free comes to mind.
Well said jare
Re: Boyfriend Won't Meet My Parents, Why? by Chinwem(f): 9:11am On Apr 25, 2013
jnr prof: He's too busy with his PhD programme to come and see your mum, but he can create time to attend a wedding outside town.............that says a lot. Seeing your mum is not a priority for him, hence his lame excuse about forgetting that she was around. The issue with confronting him is that you may end up looking like a lady desperate for a husband. I'll say you should calm down a bit, be more observant and look for more subtle hints that could be the deciding factor as to whether he has serious plans for you or not.

What other SUBTLE hints do you want her to look for again? shocked
The writing is on the wall o jare
Time for plan B
The fact that it disturbed her peace of mind enough to come on here and share it with us is SIGN enough
Gosh........if this was your sister would you be telling her this or rather introducing her to better/ serious minded suitors?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Girls Are More Attractive In Clothes Than Naked / Lady Sexually Expose Herself In The Name Of Photo Shot. - Pics / Without Make Up Most Women Are Ugly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.