Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,409 members, 7,850,452 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:38 PM

Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On (1590 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
OK I know this topic has probably been discussed countless times - but honestly I need to ask

PARENTS IN LONDON WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE KIDS

I ask this cos after reading the story of the boy killed at Victoria station 3 years ago and hearing about the death of the boy stabbed in Highbury this week (think he is Ghanian) i'm wondering why the hell are all the kids who have been convicted of most of these stabbings and other crimes (like the 18 year old that raped the 11 year old) nigerian?

are nigerian parents not bringing up their kids properly or is there something else going on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15310015
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by biolabee(m): 2:37pm On Apr 25, 2013
Tragic article
Another life lost needlessly

Such a handsome young man

Samurai sword?! shocked shocked

Looking at some of the names they are British of Nigerian parentage

Feral youth of britain

RIP Sofyen

Note is your interest in nigerian parenting or just general parenting in the UK
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 25, 2013
to be honest my interest in African parents in the UK

i was brought up in London and just don't get this, when I was growing up u never heard of Nigerian kids doing this, what has happened??

the way some of these children act these days in alien to me.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:29pm On Apr 25, 2013
So, those brought up here or the whites dnt commit crime?
Lame thread!
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by biolabee(m): 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2013
cotton101: to be honest my interest in African parents in the UK

i was brought up in London and just don't get this, when I was growing up u never heard of Nigerian kids doing this, what has happened??

the way some of these children act these days in alien to me.

they may be of nigerian parentage or 2nd generation but they are now british and thus will be influenced fully by their environment either gun, knife, drug culture

It is reminiscent of the 70/80s children of the Carribean immigrants that moved in the 50s - 60s

These are kids of those who moved over to Jand in the 80s/90s
Just history repeating itself
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 25, 2013
SLIDE waxie: So, those brought up here or the whites dnt commit crime?
Lame thread!

where did i say white don't commit crimes - i am talking about OUR children that are now getting lost in the CPS system.

i am not white so cannot comment on how they bring up their children - i am just reflecting cos i know how i was brought up and i feared my parents more than the police so i wouldn't have even dreamed of staying out late after school with friends.

the point of the topic is for people to comment as to why they think these kids are doing this.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by MMotimo: 1:15am On Apr 26, 2013
I don't live in the UK but the issue is common.

A common thread is lack of parental supervision, parents that don't have time to monitor their kids' behavior, friends and activities. Some parents work almost all day, these kids have time on their hands to do all kinds of evil and their parents have no idea. Same parents cannot/will not invest in extra curricular activities that would keep their kids out of trouble, a lot of them would rather invest in aso ebi and keeping up with the Olowolayemos.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by damiso(f): 8:14am On Apr 26, 2013
MMotimo: I don't live in the UK but the issue is common.

A common thread is lack of parental supervision, parents that don't have time to monitor their kids' behavior, friends and activities. Some parents work almost all day, these kids have time on their hands to do all kinds of evil and their parents have no idea. Same parents cannot/will not invest in extra curricular activities that would keep their kids out of trouble, a lot of them would rather invest in aso ebi and keeping up with the Olowolayemos.

Spot on.On a thread i said something about some older aunts moaning about going to parent evenings cos it would eat into their 'hour's.I understand that the whole school meetings sometimes is an inconvenience but common its often just once a term.A term is 13 weeks so its not that bad.My parents were both working and they still came for Parent evenings.I hated them going and wished they were one of those parents who could not be bothered but it made me sit up.As MMotimo has said failure to afford or look for extra curricular activities(strangely some of these activities are not soo expensive esp if you look at the local authority funded ones not even as expensive as some aso ebi you might never wear again),working all the hours God sent to be able to build 5 houses in Nigeria.Building houses in Nigeria is not a bad thing but balance is needed.Some people though have to work very long hours though just to make ends meet esp those who are lone parents so won't generalize and disparage all who work long hours cos i know my husband parents worked long hours in the 70's but i guess the difference here is they went back to Nigeria in the 80's.

In all may God help us all in this parenting business.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by coogar: 12:38pm On Apr 26, 2013
cotton101: OK I know this topic has probably been discussed countless times - but honestly I need to ask

PARENTS IN LONDON WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE KIDS

I ask this cos after reading the story of the boy killed at Victoria station 3 years ago and hearing about the death of the boy stabbed in Highbury this week (think he is Ghanian) i'm wondering why the hell are all the kids who have been convicted of most of these stabbings and other crimes (like the 18 year old that raped the 11 year old) nigerian?

are nigerian parents not bringing up their kids properly or is there something else going on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15310015

majority of these kids are from broken homes caused by selfish parents especially the women. 7 out if 10 divorces are initiated by the women and 9 out of 10 marriages are also initiated by women. women don't really know what they want.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 26, 2013
coogar so what are you saying?

that single mothers are the cause of this - you know it would be easy to put the blame all on women - except I know plenty of women who have brought up children alone and the kids have turned out well. I also know a family where mother and father stil together - 2 of their sons are in prison.

yes in a lot of the cases it can be blamed on the lack of a strong responsible male role model - but if thats the case where are these men.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by coogar: 2:15pm On Apr 26, 2013
cotton101: coogar so what are you saying?
that single mothers are the cause of this - you know it would be easy to put the blame all on women - except I know plenty of women who have brought up children alone and the kids have turned out well. I also know a family where mother and father stil together - 2 of their sons are in prison.

there would always be an exception to the rule but more kids have ended up in prisons in a broken home situation than the ones that have turned out well. it's not easy for a single parent to raise kids in this country. it's hard enough for married folks, how much worse single parents?

yes in a lot of the cases it can be blamed on the lack of a strong responsible male role model - but if thats the case where are these men.

the men have been kicked out, abeg!
the gender bias in the court system makes divorce an inviting idea to nigerian women. why wouldn't it? women tend to keep the kids, the house, the dog, the car, and half the property. considering the fact that many of these naija women were shipped from nigerian villages where such freedom is mere fantasy, they tend to make use the advantage here in the UK. there's a huge financial benefit to be gained when a wife kicks out her husband.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by freecocoa(f): 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2013
Ehen coogar, as usual blame it on women angry.

@Topic, It is really sad, what baffles me more is how a teenager can have the heart to look a young child like himself in the eye and still go ahead to stab him to death.shocked

I wanted to cook around last week and the chicken was not yet killed, I was home alone so I picked up the knife, held the fowl on the neck, as I was about placing the knife on its throat, a look at the face of the chicken and I couldn't go through with it, I just dropped the knife, it was as if the fowl was pleading, how much more a human being that talks, who would definitely be pleading for his life.

I honestly don't get how people kill other people, its just so strange to me.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by coogar: 2:39pm On Apr 26, 2013
a teenage girl bought the knives they used to kill. like 30 school kids chased the boy into a crowded train station and stabbed him 8 times.

women should take full responsibility of this....a broken home = a broken society.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by MMotimo: 3:40pm On Apr 26, 2013
@ damiso

We are used to being the only blacks and most certainly, the only Naijas, at some of these extra curriculars.

These activities are good even for the future. If your child enjoys playing the violin or piano, that could be a summer job when his mates are flipping burgers. A strong swimmer can teach swimming, and the list goes on.

Like you said, the costs are often affordable, if people bothered to investigate and dedicated more time to their kids.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by biolabee(m): 4:00pm On Apr 26, 2013
coogar: a teenage girl bought the knives they used to kill. like 30 school kids chased the boy into a crowded train station and stabbed him 8 times.

women should take full responsibility of this....a broken home = a broken society.

However true this may sound, fathers too also have abdicated their role

Coogar has highlighted the common symptom though the root causes are deeper.- the breakdown of traditional marriage as we know it

Sorry if it is not PC but that's the way it is
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
MMtimo what's wrong with flipping burgers ( or even dishwashing for less privileged ones ) while his mates were busy dealing dopes and panhandling ?

My family is used to being the only blacks everywhere it's ridiculous.

@Damiso, you're right there's city organized curricular activities at very low price as the matter of fact they offer subsidies for single parents and low income families here. I hope our people gets it sooner than later that it's not a waste of money to dance, swim, be a gymnast , sports and many more. Swim instructor's little helper position at YMCA starts from grade1 ( mostly in baby class).
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by MMotimo: 6:03pm On Apr 26, 2013
Nothing wrong with flipping burgers but if you'd rather be teaching others something you're good at and that you enjoy doing isn't that better.

Extracurriculars offer the opportunity to gain certain skill sets while having fun
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by damiso(f): 9:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
jidegirl12: MMtimo what's wrong with flipping burgers ( or even dishwashing for less privileged ones ) while his mates were busy dealing dopes and panhandling ?

My family is used to being the only blacks everywhere it's ridiculous.

@Damiso, you're right there's city organized curricular activities at very low price as the matter of fact they offer subsidies for single parents and low income families here. I hope our people gets it sooner than later that it's not a waste of money to dance, swim, be a gymnast , sports and many more. Swim instructor's little helper position at YMCA starts from grade1 ( mostly in baby class).

I personally feel that an idle mind is the devil's workshop.If either mummy or daddy can't be there when am back from school or any other suitable adult,no curfew,no activities to keep you busy its only normal to roam round with your peers.And if i remember clearly being a teenager,being accepted is important to them.There is this feeling of invisibility when acting as a group and i dont think every one of those 20 teenagers is actually a monster.My husband's barber is the Victoria Osoteku's girl cousin and her mum was in shock that the child she knows at home could do such a horrible thing.

My daughter's godmother's kids are teenagers and by Saturday they are exhausted from all the extra curricular that they just want to sleep all day.One of them is looking to become an Olympic swimmer by Rio 2016 if possible as she is competing nationwide at the moment.

I dont wholly agree with Coogar though on the Single parenting thing being mainly the womans fault.I agree the whole system makes it attractive to consider divorce at the littlest marital issues BUT i believe alot of blackmen have abdicated the role of fatherhood.African men are even more responsible than their carribean counterparts though they still need to do alot more because of our future generations.

We need more positive male role models.And as UNPC as biola pointed out it may be,married parents create a more enabling enviroment for kids to thrive.Not always the case but single parenting is really not doing black kids alot of good.Even if you are no longer with the mother of your kids,i think a man should desire to be in the life of his kids.
Re: Gang Murdered Boy During Rush Hour - Nigerian Parents In London What Is Going On by Originalsly: 12:56am On Apr 27, 2013
Stop living in the past.Nigerian or not...there is only so much a parent can do as kids are more and more exposed to violence and immorality.When you were growing up adult strangers would scold you...now you are an adult try scolding a teenager and I can guarantee you will make the news all battered and bruised. Times and people have changed.

(1) (Reply)

Mistress Writes House Wife / Why Are The Second Born Always Stubborn / Can A Two Months Pregnant Woman Embarke On A 6hour Journey Via Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.