Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,648 members, 7,861,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:12 AM

Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings (27737 Views)

Scriptures Expounded: About Wet Dreams And Human Wastes - Deuteronomy 23:10-14 / Moses Wrote The Book Of Deuteronomy. But Did He Also Write Chapter 34? / Popular Bible Quotations For Memorization And Meditation — Deuteronomy 31:8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2013
MostHigh:
IS APOSTLE PAUL NOW THE MASTER?

WHERE YE BAPTISED IN THE NAME OF PAUL

Lol! grin you missed the point. if Christ did not passed judgement on Apostle Paul for teaching that Christians are free from the mosaic law, i don't see Christ passing judgement on me for repeating Paul's statement?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by brilapluz(m): 6:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
Zikkyy:

Now i understand why you are not happy with me smiley

..and i told you gentiles been eating grasscutter since the time of Noah (possibly)...and the apostles in Act 15 specified the activities gentiles are required to do away with...and grasscutter meat was not on the list. meaning gentile converts can 'carry go' with the consumption of grasscutter meat grin so whether prohibited by mosaic law or not, it is not a problem for gentile converts.

We Know grin Nobody is saying mosaic law is illegal. but remember that Jesus himself taught in Mathew 5 that the mosaic law was not complete.

Lol! grin abeg my brother no vex if you consider my response an insult, i apologise in advance. it just that after reading this part of your post, what came to mind was Fela Kuti meditating with a jumbo size wrap of some heavy stuff grin but am thinking you are just high on the holy spirit, so no wahala grin
hahahahahahahaha..*obadiah777 voice:GUY U GAT JOKES BRUV*...nl 2 much!

2 Likes

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 6:33pm On Apr 29, 2013
MostHigh:
you lie

you support the removal of the truth

Where? How? When what truth?

MostHigh:
wherever there is sin there must be law

okay smiley

MostHigh:
you say you have grace so you dont need the law

Correction; it's the mosaic law i don't need.

MostHigh:
what about those that are not as strong as you ?

how are they to address the everyday evils in thier lives?

More reason why they should do away with mosaic law, it is not for those with a weak heart. The law was never successful as an enabler. They need to move on to the next level; allow the spirit to lead them. if they find that difficult to achieve, let them think/breathe/eat love.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 29, 2013
Zikkyy:

Where? How? When what truth?

okay smiley

Correction; it's the mosaic law i don't need.

More reason why they should do away with mosaic law, it is not for those with a weak heart. The law was never successful as an enabler. They need to move on to the next level; allow the spirit to lead them. if they find that difficult to achieve, let them think/breathe/eat love.

What spirit should lead them if i may ask?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 6:39pm On Apr 29, 2013
ifeness:

What spirit should lead them if i may ask?

even when you know i cannot be referring to sango or orunmila spirit okay na holy spirit. are you happy now?

1 Like

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 10:40pm On Apr 29, 2013
Zikkyy:

Lol! grin you missed the point. if Christ did not passed judgement on Apostle Paul for teaching that Christians are free from the mosaic law, i don't see Christ passing judgement on me for repeating Paul's statement?

na wa for your reasoning o

please can you clearly tell us the difference between the law you speak about and the mosaic law?

what are the ordinances of this new law/order
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
Zikkyy:

Now i understand why you are not happy with me smiley

..and i told you gentiles been eating grasscutter since the time of Noah (possibly)...and the apostles in Act 15 specified the activities gentiles are required to do away with...and grasscutter meat was not on the list. meaning gentile converts can 'carry go' with the consumption of grasscutter meat grin so whether prohibited by mosaic law or not, it is not a problem for gentile converts.

We Know grin Nobody is saying mosaic law is illegal. but remember that Jesus himself taught in Mathew 5 that the mosaic law was not complete.

Lol! grin abeg my brother no vex if you consider my response an insult, i apologise in advance. it just that after reading this part of your post, what came to mind was Fela Kuti meditating with a jumbo size wrap of some heavy stuff grin but am thinking you are just high on the holy spirit, so no wahala grin

I WAs referring to the sermon on the mount and yes its real heavy stuff

try read it again.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2013
brilapluz:
kep deceiving urself wit dat 'broken record' on an expired equipment..reprobate..reprobate..reprobate..guess U r out of vocabs 2 call me..lol..try sumtin else...hahahahahahaha..i dey laugh..

try lawless on the flip side
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by brilapluz(m): 11:01pm On Apr 29, 2013
MostHigh:

try lawless on the flip side
U r one funny fella...tot U liked dat 'reprobate..record'...now its 'lawless'...hahahahahahahaha...hope it doesnt turn out 2 b a 'crackd cd' soon...gues U hv exhausted ur vocabs bruv..lol
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 9:36am On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:
what are the ordinances of this new law/order

so this is the reason you've been calling me reprobate grin you are thinking new set of law grin

MostHigh:
please can you clearly tell us the difference between the law you speak about and the mosaic law?

I will try grin

1. Christ law is perfect (complete) -- Mosaic law incomplete wink
2. Christ law applies to everybody -- Mosaic law was given to the Jews wink
3. Motives for practicing differs
Christ law - motive for adhering/obedience to Christ's law is love.
Mosaic law - Fear being the motive for compliance (ask the regular tithers grin),
3b. Christ law - Being based on love, it is no longer a burden and much easier to obey
Mosaic law - Because it is by force, it became a burden for the those subjected to the law.
4. Mosaic law focused on external acts. (the reason one can say he has satisfied the command not to kill even when there is hate in his heart)
Christ law - obedience comes from the mind/heart. actions are based on the state of the heart.

My brother check yourself o! if your response to the law is based on fear, then you are old school (the mosaic school grin), For Christians that respond to Christ law (the law based on love), the mosaic law is irrelevant wink

1 Like

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

anybody subjecting him/herself to the law of Moses does not have Christ. simple.

True, but then if anyone has Christ, his life will not contradict the law of Moses, will it?

2 Likes

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by brilapluz(m): 11:02am On Apr 30, 2013
Ihedinobi:

True, but then if anyone has Christ, his life will not contradict the law of Moses, will it?
surely and dat is y followin d christ-like way is d best 4 us as christians(christian-christ-like)..all U need is LOVE,dis is wat made d law complete..so u dont need mosaic law,all U need is LOVE-romans 13:8-10
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 11:18am On Apr 30, 2013
brilapluz:
surely and dat is y followin d christ-like way is d best 4 us as christians(christian-christ-like)..all U need is LOVE,dis is wat made d law complete..so u dont need mosaic law,all U need is LOVE-romans 13:8-10

You are right being Christ like is living in love

Yashua ibn joseph quoted from the book of Deuteronomy more than any other book in the torah
And Deuteronomy as we all know is a reminder of the LAW.
It is also very clear for any pure hearted to see that the Sermon on the Mount is PURE LAW.

But also remember that Yashua ibn joseph lived a life full of examples of how we should live

Remember also that this way of life was emulated by all the apostles including Paul

This love you speak about is a way of life, as it is written I am the way and the life

When you read the Sermon on the Mount Christ is speaking to peoples both back then and now

Where do you stand?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 11:19am On Apr 30, 2013
brilapluz:
U r one funny fella...tot U liked dat 'reprobate..record'...now its 'lawless'...hahahahahahahaha...hope it doesnt turn out 2 b a 'crackd cd' soon...gues U hv exhausted ur vocabs bruv..lol

copycat.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 11:21am On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

so this is the reason you've been calling me reprobate grin you are thinking new set of law grin

I will try grin

1. Christ law is perfect (complete) -- Mosaic law incomplete wink
2. Christ law applies to everybody -- Mosaic law was given to the Jews wink
3. Motives for practicing differs
Christ law - motive for adhering/obedience to Christ's law is love.
Mosaic law - Fear being the motive for compliance (ask the regular tithers grin),
3b. Christ law - Being based on love, it is no longer a burden and much easier to obey
Mosaic law - Because it is by force, it became a burden for the those subjected to the law.
4. Mosaic law focused on external acts. (the reason one can say he has satisfied the command not to kill even when there is hate in his heart)
Christ law - obedience comes from the mind/heart. actions are based on the state of the heart.

My brother check yourself o! if your response to the law is based on fear, then you are old school (the mosaic school grin), For Christians that respond to Christ law (the law based on love), the mosaic law is irrelevant wink

My response to the law is based on obedience

obedience to the end

Just like yashua ibn joseph

he too was obedient to the end as scripture confirms

which one come b your own?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by brilapluz(m): 12:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:

copycat.
hahahahaha...really..i wil take dat as a compliment..1-1*wink*.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 12:35pm On Apr 30, 2013
brilapluz:
hahahahaha...really..i wil take dat as a compliment..1-1*wink*.

Try to be yaself all the time

dont try being someone else you go miss road
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
Ihedinobi:

True, his life will not contradict the law of Moses (i believe we are talking about the 10 commandments). because elements of the mosaic law is found in Christ's law. But what the law of Moses failed to achieve can is achieved in Christ. so why go back to adopt a life based on the mosaic law, when you have a more effective law in Christ. Doing that amounts to rejecting Christ cos one cannot live by both laws at the same time. The response or approach to obedience differs.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by brilapluz(m): 12:42pm On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:

You are right being Christ like is living in love

Yashua ibn joseph quoted from the book of Deuteronomy more than any other book in the torah
And Deuteronomy as we all know is a reminder of the LAW.
It is also very clear for any pure hearted to see that the Sermon on the Mount is PURE LAW.

But also remember that Yashua ibn joseph lived a life full of examples of how we should live

Remember also that this way of life was emulated by all the apostles including Paul

This love you speak about is a way of life, as it is written I am the way and the life

When you read the Sermon on the Mount Christ is speaking to peoples both back then and now

Where do you stand?
atleast tank God u agree dat livin christ-like is livin in an atmosphere of LOVE! And dats wat U need nothin MORE..no stories,or permutations..LIVE A LIFE FILLED WITH LOVE..where i stand?..i stand in d law of christ which is LOVE..hope dats not 2 hard 2 grasp?..lol
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 12:56pm On Apr 30, 2013
brilapluz:
atleast tank God u agree dat livin christ-like is livin in an atmosphere of LOVE! And dats wat U need nothin MORE..no stories,or permutations..LIVE A LIFE FILLED WITH LOVE..where i stand?..i stand in d law of christ which is LOVE..hope dats not 2 hard 2 grasp?..lol

So there is no need to do exactly as yashua did?

Or more pointedly

live exactly as yashua lived his life
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:
My response to the law is based on obedience

Response to both laws (Christ & Mosaic) is based on obedience. The difference? Obedience to Christ law is driven by love while obedience to mosaic law is by force wink True Christians don't obey mosaic law, they obey Christ law. So where do you stand. what laws are you keeping? Christ or Moses?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 1:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

Response to both laws (Christ & Mosaic) is based on obedience. The difference? Obedience to Christ law is driven by love while obedience to mosaic law is by force wink True Christians don't obey mosaic law, they obey Christ law. So where do you stand. what laws are you keeping? Christ or Moses?

Wrong

Christ obeyed the mosaic law willingly and not through any coercion
Which one come be your own?
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 2:58pm On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:

Wrong

Christ obeyed the mosaic law willingly and not through any coercion
Which one come be your own?

Are you Jesus? grin
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 3:01pm On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

Are you Jesus? grin

He is my close friend and brother

And from the statements you are making it is clear you know him not

But paul you have proven to be your master you are ever willing to quote his words.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 3:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
Goshen360: @ Ihedinobi,

This writing is gonna be a bit long but I will like to just make it brief as I can. We have a discussion on Romans 7 & Galatians 4. I will deal with Romans 7 aspect now and will return to Galatians some other time. Now, when Christ came from eternity, he needed a 'body' that will represent many things. Hence, the body that Christ bore, is physical though but it represent many thing which I will point to you from scriptures.

1. The body of Christ represent SIN - 1 Peter 2:24. That's why when Christ died on the cross, we also died to SIN and no longer alive to SIN. Romans 6:2, 11. The church is the 'body' of Christ and he being the head, when the natural body of Christ died on the cross, the church, spiritual body also died to sin.

2. The body of Christ represent the LAW of Moses - Romans 7:4. When the natural flesh or body of Christ died on the Cross, the law of Moses also died and was abolished. By that act, we are also dead to the law of Moses and alive in the Spirit of Christ. Romans 7:6. By the representation of the body of Christ, when it died on the Cross, we also died to the law or are dead to the law, of Moses. Also, when the body of Christ died on the cross, the law of Moses was abolished through or by his body, Ephesians 2:15.

3. The body of Christ represent SACRIFICES. Hebrews 10:5; 10. That's why the greatest sacrifice was paid by the death of his body and we no longer offer all those Mosaic sacrifices no more.

4. The body of Christ represent the COMMUNION. Luke 22:19; 1 Corinthians 10:16.

5. The body of Christ represent the OLD MAN or NATURE. Colossians 2:20; 1 Peter 4:1-2; Romans 6:7.

There're many but I will stop here for now since I have pointed out the one that will lead me into the discussion of Romans 7 and Galatians 4. I will continue again. Stay tunned. God bless you.

Goshen, I would have quoted all the Scriptures that you referenced here, but it's too tasking for me to do so, so I won't. But we both know what they said.

Now when we say that something represents something else, we mean that the latter can be replaced by the former. Can Christ's body replace sin or the law or any of the other things you mentioned in any context? I don't think that we can reasonably say that it can.

That He bore our sins in His body is that His body served as a vessel or container or transport for our sins not that His body is our sin. I hope you understand.

That by His death, He cancelled the law's enmity against us is not that His body is the law that we died to but that the death of His body is the means by which we were set free from the law.

And so on and so forth. There is only one thing which the Scriptures consider the same as the body of Christ and it is the Church. Whenever Christ's body is mentioned in the Scriptures, what is said of it is applicable to believers of every era and place.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Goshen360(m): 3:53pm On Apr 30, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Goshen, I would have quoted all the Scriptures that you referenced here, but it's too tasking for me to do so, so I won't. But we both know what they said.

Now when we say that something represents something else, we mean that the latter can be replaced by the former. Can Christ's body replace sin or the law or any of the other things you mentioned in any context? I don't think that we can reasonably say that it can.

That He bore our sins in His body is that His body served as a vessel or container or transport for our sins not that His body is our sin. I hope you understand.

Hmmmm, ^ well, I can't laugh that much. You know as much as I do that "simile" is different from "metaphor" right? You're still looking at the 'body' of Christ as mere flesh like we do have as human. Yes, it is but it represent many things, just that one 'flesh' or 'body'. Look at it here,

New Living Translation (©2007)
That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer. Hebrews 10:5

Here, that body is SACRIFICE AND\OR SIN. Hence, he who knew no sin BECAME sin.

Ihedinobi:

That by His death, He cancelled the law's enmity against us is not that His body is the law that we died to but that the death of His body is the means by which we were set free from the law.

Oh, so now you agree that His body is the means by which we are set free from the law? Why then do you still teach adherence to the law to Christians if you believe they are set free from it by the body of Christ? Again, Romans 7:4 says, "...that you might belong to another..." which is not the same as the one that died to the law in order to fulfill the law. You need to digest that verse very well. That's like the analogy of baptism by immersion. The old man is buried and another man rises up when we are raised with Christ.

Ihedinobi:

And so on and so forth. There is only one thing which the Scriptures consider the same as the body of Christ and it is the Church. Whenever Christ's body is mentioned in the Scriptures, what is said of it is applicable to believers of every era and place.

NO! You're wrong. The communion is also the 'body' of Christ represented in spiritual things, Luke 22:19.

New International Version (©2011)
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

Just like the church is not the physical body of Christ but typified spiritually and Him, Christ being the Head. So, just like the church is represent in the body of Christ, the same is the communion, also sin which we also die to, same is sacrifices offered by his body and same is the law, we can't keep it, the whole so he did on our behalf. What is left for us is to lean on that His finished works and be righteous by that, not by trying to do what he had already done.

1 Like

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

True, his life will not contradict the law of Moses (i believe we are talking about the 10 commandments). because elements of the mosaic law is found in Christ's law. But what the law of Moses failed to achieve can is achieved in Christ. so why go back to adopt a life based on the mosaic law, when you have a more effective law in Christ. Doing that amounts to rejecting Christ cos one cannot live by both laws at the same time. The response or approach to obedience differs.

The point is that if a life modelled after Christ does not contradict Moses, then when one finds himself going contrary to Moses, he must realize that he is also going contrary to Christ.

This is not necessarily the same as putting oneself back under the Law. Under the Law, we are obligated to obey God, under Grace we're not. But in both cases, the things that please God are made known to us and those things are spiritually the same under both conditions.

Therefore, when I find myself in contravention of Moses' law, I shall also find that I am in contravention of Christ for God does not change in what He wants, there is no shadow of turning with Him.

The Law is useful to us Christians to understand what God, by His Grace, has made us for the Law describes the man who pleases God. Its enmity against us was in demanding that we become that man which we could not by any means. This enmity is what Christ removed by being that man and offering His perfected Life to us to replace the one that the Law had irrevocably condemned.

In accepting His Life, we accept that the Law was right and that we deserved to die. And we do submit to Death everyday that we may live in newness of life everyday.

Thus you see that the Law is a type of the Cross saying an invariable NO to all that is not exclusively Christ in us and bringing all the curse of the law to bear upon such things in order that only that which is Christ and thus fulfills the Law of the Spirit of Life may thrive.

You see, this is what Galatians 2:20 and 5:24 as well as Paul's "I die daily" mean.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 30, 2013
Goshen360:

Hmmmm, ^ well, I can't laugh that much. You know as much as I do that "simile" is different from "metaphor" right? You're still looking at the 'body' of Christ as mere flesh like we do have as human. Yes, it is but it represent many things, just that one 'flesh' or 'body'. Look at it here,

New Living Translation (©2007)
That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer. Hebrews 10:5

Here, that body is SACRIFICE AND\OR SIN. Hence, he who knew no sin BECAME sin.

First of all, a sacrifice or offering for sin is not the same as sin itself.

Second, yes, the Scriptures say that He who knew no sin was made sin. However, I do not need to interpret it myself since the Scriptures themselves have interpreted it in saying that He bore our sins in His body.

Oh, so now you agree that His body is the means by which we are set free from the law? Why then do you still teach adherence to the law to Christians if you believe they are set free from it by the body of Christ?

For me, it is a matter of course to tell the uncircumcised to pay attention to what I'm saying and what they are saying when we argue, but it is a disappointment to have to do so to another of the House of God. Edit: Where have I disagreed that the body of Christ is the means by which we are set free from the law, my brother?

Do you really consider it teaching adherence to the Law to tell the man who claims that he has been born anew and has Love within him that the proof of the truth of this claim lies in how he treats himself, his neighbor and the world around him?

Again, Romans 7:4 says, "...that you might belong to another..." which is not the same as the one that died to the law in order to fulfill the law. You need to digest that verse very well. That's like the analogy of baptism by immersion. The old man is buried and another man rises up when we are raised with Christ.

Who was said to have died to the law? Us. By what means? The death of our Lord Jesus Whom the Scriptures declare is our Substitute.

I was not there, not even born two thousand years ago when Jesus died. And even those who were alive then did not get on the Cross with Him. So, why would the Scriptures say that I died when I was not even born? It's God's Own Principle of Substitution that treats one thing or person exactly as though it were the thing that it represents.

Thus Jesus was substituted for me in death to the law that condemned me as unfit for relationship with God. In God's eyes, it was I who died not the Lord Jesus. It was I who died to the Law that I may be joined to the Lord Jesus.

So the thing that changed by death was me, not the Lord Jesus Who only served as a means to kill me and create another me that the Law could not condemn.

Therefore, how is the text in red not your addition to the Scriptures?

NO! You're wrong. The communion is also the 'body' of Christ represented in spiritual things, just like the church is not the physical body of Christ but typified spiritually and Him, Christ being the Head. So, just like the church is represent in the body of Christ, the same is the communion, also sin which we also die to, same is sacrifices offered by his body and same is the law, we can't keep it, the whole so he did on our behalf. What is left for us is to lean on that His finished works and be righteous by that, not by trying to do what he had already done.

The only thing I picked out here is that the communion is the body of Christ and you think that that proves me wrong. Well, the believers are the communion of saints, do you remember?

About leaning on His works and being righteous by that, you have only agreed with me. We are not now under the Law which tells us that we must do this and that if we want to have God, we are now willing, eager and desirous to do this and that because we have God.

If really we have accepted Christ's righteousness as ours and His works as ours, then we will be producing that righteousness and those works in our daily living. In those parts of our lives where we are failing to produce them, the Spirit is witnessing to us that we are rejecting His righteousnesz and His works. And in those places, we place ourselves under the Law for nothing which is contrary to Christ is anything but beneath, under and condemned by the Law.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 30, 2013
Zikkyy:

Evidence that you don't understand what am talking about smiley did i quote Paul as saying the law was abolished? see my post below:

From my post, you can see the law is still useful for checking the activities of the lawless. so am not quoting Paul as saying the law been abolished. No! the law book was not burnt, it still exist in some temples or churches. it is still very much available for people like you; the type Goshen refers to as 'judaizers' grin What Paul meant was that the activities of those that found a new life in Christ are no longer a response to the requirement of the mosaic law. They been freed of the bonds of the mosaic law. Now they live by the law of Christ or law of the spirit grin

Take some time to understand my post before you say am quoting out of context grin

For you to understand what it means to be free of the law, i will try to illustrate using the recently promulgated Lagos State traffic law. According to the law driving against oncoming traffic is an offense (including making phone calls or eating while driving). Then consider zikkyy as somebody that will never drive against traffic even if it was allowed because it would amount to putting the lives of road users at risk. It is a principle i live by based on my love for doing the right thing and protecting the lives of other road users. even in the absence of a traffic law, i still will not drive. For me i am not subject to the traffic law because law or no law, zikkyy will never take a phone call while driving. Now let's consider Bidam; always causing problem for other road users; have a habit of making calls while driving at high speeds on very busy roads, will not hesitate to switch to the oncoming lane on sighting heavy traffic on his lane. With the promulgation of the traffic law your excesses been checked. You don't call while driving because you don't want to be arrested. even though the law is not really successful in making you a responsible citizen because you would make that call when there is no law enforcement officer in sight and still drive against traffic when there is an opportunity to do so.

Bidam and zikkyy are then two different people. Zikkyy does not live (or act) based on the requirement of the traffic law. to do that would mean zikkyy rejecting or doing away with his principles. It therefore mean i now obey traffic rules because the government says i must i.e. i will not act responsibly on the road in the absence of a law designed to check my activities.

It is the same for those in Christ. If the only reason you are not killing is because the Mosaic law says thou shall not kill, then you don't have Christ in you. The true Christian will not kill or acquire his neighbors wife even if that law was deleted from the mosaic law. For that person, the mosaic is irrelevant. You cannot claim to be in Christ and still subject yourself to the requirement of the law, it is not possible. So check yourself, if you still find yourself responding to the OT laws then you have a problem.

I believe you now have a better understanding of what have been saying.

This is a very lovely way of saying it, Zikkyy. This is what the Gospel is: that the law is no longer above us demanding and threatening, rather it is within us as righteous desires. It is now our nature, no longer obligation, to do the things that are right and please God.

The right use of the Law for the Christian is to ensure that he is not breaking with his true character. For instance, however prodigal the son of the rich man was, he was not a pig. And when he started eating swine's leftovers, there was that (edit: within him) which said, 'NO, something's not right'. That thing was the reason he lifted up his head and returned to his father's house and is analogous to the Law which is now within us.

It is not the right use of the law to tell a Christian that this or that is required of him for him to have anything of God. It is the right use to tell him that seeing that he has God, it is expected that he should naturally do such-and-such. As I said, the Law only described what the Christian naturally is, it does not demand that a Christian be or do this or that.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by MostHigh: 5:07pm On Apr 30, 2013
Ihedinobi:

This is a very lovely way of saying it, Zikkyy. This is what the Gospel is: that the law is no longer above us demanding and threatening, rather it is within us as righyeous desires. It is now our naturr, no longer obligation, to do the things that are right and please God.

The right use of the Law for the Christian is to ensure that he is not breaking with his true character. For instance, however prodigal the son of the rich man was, he was not a pig. And when he started eating swine's leftovers, there was that which said, 'NO, something's not right'. That thing was the reason he lifted up his head and returned to his father's house and is analogous to the Law which is now within us.

It is not the right use of the law to tell a Christian that this or that is required of him for him to have anything of God. It is the right use to tell him that seeing that he has God, it is expected that he should naturally do such-and-such. As I said, the Law only described what the Christian naturally is, it does not demand that a Christian be or do this or that.

On point.
Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 7:21pm On Apr 30, 2013
Ihedinobi:
This is what the Gospel is: that the law is no longer above us demanding and threatening, rather it is within us as righteous desires. It is now our nature, no longer obligation, to do the things that are right and please God.

You should understand that when you make the transition from the text in red to the text (blue), the text in red is no longer relevant to you. If you continue to hold on to it, then you can never fully transit to that state where doing things you find in the law becomes a nature. If you are successful in making that transition (doing away with text in red), you are no longer living by the mosaic law. You should understand that it is no longer the Mosaic law that is within us as righteous desires that we now obey. The mosaic law is (using your words) 'demanding and threatening' and you cannot change it.

Ihedinobi:
The right use of the Law for the Christian is to ensure that he is not breaking with his true character.

This amounts to going back to your vomit. Using the Lagos traffic law example, this will be me using the requirements of the Lagos traffic laws to ensure i am not compromising on the my principle of ensuring the safety of other road users. The day the Lagos traffic law begins to shape/influence my behavior on the road is the day i decide to do away with my principles.

Ihedinobi:
The right use of the Law for the Christian is to ensure that he is not breaking with his true character.

when i begin to measure my Christian behavior using the mosaic law, then the law written in my heart will be rendered redundant/irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: Deuteronomy 28 Is Not For Christians; Ephesians 1:3 Is Our Key To Blessings by Zikkyy(m): 7:22pm On Apr 30, 2013
MostHigh:

On point.

This man, you still dey here grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Pope Francis Will Consecrate Russia And Ukraine To Our Lady Today. / Fornication:is It A 'necessary' Sin? / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.