Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,414 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? (3355 Views)

Help !!! Speedometer Reader/needle Not Moving When I Am Moving / Help!!! Odometer and Speedometer Stop Working / Your Speedometer: How Often Do You Check It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Originalsly: 10:53pm On Apr 26, 2013
80kph/50mph is what it is ....but when it comes to speedometer readings why does it vary so much in trucks, cars made for the North American market and cars made for the Japanese market? eg..if a Toyota Corolla from the US and one from Japan are both clocking 100...the one from the US would actually be pretty much driving faster. Am I wrong? If not why is this so?
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
There are variations, not based upon the country they're sold in, speedo's tend to over-read. These are deliberate error margins built into the automobile.

So we have actual speed, and indicated speed. For example, When the speedo's indicating 70 mph, the actual speed is between 63 and 66 mph. The error margin increases the faster the automobile travels. So the error margin is smaller at 20 mph and greater at 155.

Fitting different size wheels will alter the error margin, either + or -, depending if the replacement wheels are smaller or larger than the factory offerings.
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by sultaan(m): 12:18am On Apr 27, 2013
Originalsly: 80kph/50mph is what it is ....but when it comes to speedometer readings why does it vary so much in trucks, cars made for the North American market and cars made for the Japanese market? eg..if a Toyota Corolla from the US and one from Japan are both clocking 100...the one from the US would actually be pretty much driving faster. Am I wrong? If not why is this so?

Because 1.6km=1mile

So 160km/h = 100mph

100km/h = 60mph
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by yungboss(m): 5:27am On Apr 27, 2013
Siena: There are variations, not based upon the country they're sold in, speedo's tend to over-read. These are deliberate error margins built into the automobile.

So we have actual speed, and indicated speed. For example, When the speedo's indicating 70 mph, the actual speed is between 63 and 66 mph. The error margin increases the faster the automobile travels. So the error margin is smaller at 20 mph and greater at 155.

Fitting different size wheels will alter the error margin, either + or -, depending if the replacement wheels are smaller or larger than the factory offerings.

I dnt know how true the GPS is, i've actually checked my speed at 140km/h and 160km/h using the cruise control setting of my car. It was exactly the same as the GPS numbers measured...i think there's a level of accuracy with the speedo...
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Originalsly: 6:22am On Apr 27, 2013
@Siena...I hear you on the margin of error and if the wheel size is changed. But my confusion is with the indicated speed....brand new car...Toyota Corolla... from the North American market and brand new Toyota Corolla from the Japanese market...if driven side by side at the same indicated speed the NA version would be travelling faster. I am now thinking the NA cars have larger wheels.
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
yungboss:
I dnt know how true the GPS is, i've actually checked my speed at 140km/h and 160km/h using the cruise control setting of my car. It was exactly the same as the GPS numbers measured...i think there's a level of accuracy with the speedo...

Legislation decrees error margins are built into production automobile. Larger wheels will bring the actual and indicated speed closer.

No production car indicated speed will tally with actual speed all through the speed range, from 10 - 155 mph.
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 27, 2013
Originalsly: @Siena...I hear you on the margin of error and if the wheel size is changed. But my confusion is with the indicated speed....brand new car...Toyota Corolla... from the North American market and brand new Toyota Corolla from the Japanese market...if driven side by side at the same indicated speed the NA version would be travelling faster. I am now thinking the NA cars have larger wheels.

Depends on the scale you're reading - km/h or mph.
Re: Speedometer Readings...are They The Same? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
Most speedometers have tolerances of some
±10%, mainly due to variations in tire diameter.
Sources of error due to tire
diameter variations are wear, temperature,
pressure, vehicle load, and nominal tire size.
Vehicle manufacturers usually calibrate
speedometers to read high by an amount equal
to the average error, to ensure that their
speedometers never indicate a lower speed than
the actual speed of the vehicle, to ensure they
are not liable for drivers violating speed limits.
Excessive speedometer error after manufacture
can come from several causes but most
commonly is due to nonstandard tire diameter. European Union member states must also grant
type approval to vehicles meeting similar EU
standards. The ones covering speedometers. are similar to the UNECE regulation in that
they specify that:
The indicated speed must never be less than the
actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to
inadvertently speed because of an incorrect
speedometer reading.
The indicated speed must not be more than 110
percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at
specified test speeds. For example, at 80km/h,
the indicated speed must be no more than 92km/h. Source:en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

(1) (Reply)

General Announcement To People With Fake Or Lost Duty Papers. / Toyota Or Honda, Which One Is Better? / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Hyundai Accent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.