Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,886 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

The Religion - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Religion (50360 Views)

In Defence Of Religion - Pt 1. [The Necessity Of Religion In Churches And Homes] / Why Yoruba Movies Promotes Traditional Religion Ethics Than Xtians And Islamic? / Teach Yourself The Philosophy Of Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Religion by frank317: 10:02am On Apr 29, 2013
First i want to thank everyone who had expressed their condolence during this worst period of my life. i am still working had to get over it and with you all behind me, i will make it through.

writing this story had helped me also in getting few stuff off my mind. for the first time in my life, i now understand why some people commit suicide, but writing this book had helped me take my mind off some evil things that would not help me and redirect my energy towards something productive.

Chigor, continue to support me from the world beyond just like you have always done when we were together and we will drive this story to become a success together.

amen.

3 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:06am On Apr 29, 2013
All Rights Reserved:

This work exclusively belongs to the author and is
protected under Nigerian copyright laws.
The Title, thoughts, plot, characters, settings,
quotes and all its contents are properties of the
author.
No part of this work; either in parts or in whole
should be reproduced in any format; electronic or
otherwise without permission from the author and
the Administrator of nairaland or the Moderator of
literature section of nairaland.

Reach the author xtfranks005@yahoo.com or 08027410988

The Religion

This book is dedicated to Chigozie Ogu, the girl i loved and lost.

"Death is our greatest fear... the only way to face it is to die"... Frank3.16.

Chapter 1

Monday

Daniel Ikoha looked out of his window; at last the morning had finally come. He stood up and stretched his body. Today was the D day. He had planned it all and today, he was going to execute it. Nothing was going to stop him from taking his revenge.

His head was pumping, he had almost finished the bottle of Red Label he had in his bar last night. He couldn’t wait for the morning to come so he had to soak himself in alcohol. He also didn’t want to evaluate his intended action during the night.

This wasn’t the first time Daniel had planned to do this. In fact this was the fifth attempt. His friend, Dr. Samuel whom he had confided in had talked him out of it at the earlier stage of this plan. But he wasn’t happy with the fact that he still had to live with the consequence of not doing what his heart really wanted to do. The sleepless nights that was filled with thoughts of nothing but regrets and hatred for Benson. The nights of loneliness and pain that made him felt he was a useless weakling who didn’t deserve his wife and kid.

That was why he decided to avoid Samuel; he also decided to avoid the world. They were incapable of seeing things from his point of view.

Then there was that voice, the voice that always discouraged him. This voice was his conscience only that this time his conscience didn’t work in his favour. It usually pops up during the quiet times of the night. It becomes so loud that the neighbors could hear if they listened. It reminds him that what he intends doing was wrong.

But how could it be wrong when the decision of not doing it comes back to haunt him the next day. It devastates him when he sees Benson walking freely while his wife and kids were dead and gone forever!

He was tired of his life. He was tired of being lonely. He couldn’t function normally in the world again. Life was meaningless without his wife and kid.

Life was hell.

But today, it was going to be over. Today he will do what he was supposed to do for the past two years. Today he was going to end it all. Today was going to be the last for both the victim and the offender.

He reflexively deemed his eyes as the light from the white bulb in his room hit his eyes. He tried to shield his eyes with his right hand while his left hand remained on the switch, soon his eyes started to adapt to the light. But the sight of Akudo’s picture weren’t hidden from his shielded eyes. He stopped and stared the picture. She was the most beautiful creature he had even seen. She was the love of his life.

He had had a dream about her last night. In the dream they were finally together with little Ebere standing beside them with her doll. The dream confirmed that he must ensure that he executed his plans today. It had given him the courage he needed. They were going to be together in a couple of hours and he couldn’t wait.

Daniel was determined, his face said it all. He looked around the room, it was shabby and dirty. Everything about him had always been this unkempt since he lost his wife and daughter. Who cares about a tidy room when life meant nothing again?

He should hurry, Benson will be at his office scene by 8am. As far as he was concerned, Benson will never see the interior of his office again. Never! He entered into the bathroom to have his bath; he was going to dress his best. He wouldn’t want Akudo to see him looking unkempt.

4 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:09am On Apr 29, 2013
It was already 7.55am when Daniel got to the scene. He sat in his ash coloured Toyota Siena and waited as he concentrated his stare on the popular Omenka Plaza in Wetheral Road. His mind was blank even as he observed as people of the world walked with seriousness towards different directions obviously going to work or trying to meet up with an early morning appointment. Daniel didn’t care about any of them and he didn’t bother to look at anyone twice. But he had a beggar friend whom he always gave money whenever he came to observe Benson.

This morning the male beggar was staring at him, expecting Daniel to give him something as usual.

For a long time now, his world has been focused on Benson. And now there was a lot he could say about him. He knew where Benson worshiped, where he shopped, ate and even where he clubbed. He had Benson’s daily schedule on his finger tips.

That was why he was sure that he was not already late. He was sure that within the next five minutes or ten minutes Benson will be heading towards his office on foot. The car park was located a few meters from his office and so staff must walk a few distances to get into their office. He had planned it all, he was going o stop Benson from going into the office.

His eyes met with the beggar and Daniel brought out his last 100naira note and threw it at him. That was the last cash on him, he didn’t need it since he was about to die. Then he quickly concentrated his whole attention on his direction of interest.

He waited

The minutes rolled by as the time drew closer.

Daniel saw him… good. He turned the ignition as the car came to life.

He was startled by the sudden presence of a frantic lady on the passenger window. At first he thought it was Akudo, and then he relaxed a bit when he noticed it was a different person.

“Help me, please help me!” she pleaded as she beat the window with her palms.

Daniel didn’t know what to make of this. He quickly looked towards Benson and noticed that he had already gotten to the G spot, the spot where he was supposed to jam him with his car. He had intended that the hit would be fatal enough to kill him.

Now this lady had appeared from nowhere and had distracted him. What does she want and who was she? Before he could finally decide on what to do, she had already opened the front passenger door and entered. Daniel realized that the central lock of his car was not on and instinctively switched it on.

“Who are you? What do you want from me?” he asked, actually thinking that she was a mad woman. With that, he took a good look at the strange woman who just entered her car.

He had not felt threatened by her presence because she didn’t look dirty or wild. She just looked confused and it was obvious she was in need of help. But he wasn’t just happy with her presence. She had greatly disrupted his plan and he was angry about it.

Somehow she reminded him of Akudo, of course a lot of women had reminded him of his late wife since her demise. She had very dark natural hair; it was obvious she just retouched it. She was light complexioned with plain large eyes, small pointed nose and her lips were thick with a line that seemed to divide the lower lip. He judged that her age should be either 25 or 26.

“I need your help! They are trying to kill me!” she yelled.

“Wha… who is trying to kill you?” he asked in a state of utter confusion. He had forgotten that the car was still steaming.

“I don’t know who they are, they just attacked me at the…”

Who are you? Look woman I…”

“Please!!” she screamed. She looked towards the direction she came from. “Oh my God, here they are. Over there, those two men, they are coming for me. Please take me out of here I beg you” she was really scared.

Daniel couldn’t still understand. He wasn’t even ready to drive out to anywhere. “Why are they trying to kill you? Why don’t you go to the police?”

“I know I should, but look, they are after me. I have to be alive to go to the police, please!”

There were two of them; their ages should fall between 27 and 32. They looked like cultist, mean and determined in their sparkling white T-shirts. Daniel wondered what she had to do with them. Why would such men want to harm this young woman?

They were being discrete, looking around them and ensuring that they didn’t make any scene. They were walking towards the car rather than running.

Poor Miss. GodKnowsWho didn’t look strong enough to run for her dear life. They knew it and were taking their time in following her. Daniel watched them, wondering what they were up to. He didn’t really want to get involved and he felt the open public wouldn’t allow them to take any action. This wasn’t just how he planned his day to be.

The first thug approached the car and without stopping for a second to think of his next move, he stretched his hand to open the door. It didn’t open, he pulled is forcefully but it didn’t budge.

“What is it you want?” Daniel shouted from inside the car. His car windows were all rolled up, but he felt they would hear him.

The lady continued screaming frantically.

The men were obviously more determined than Daniel thought. The first guy had already pulled out a metallic short axe from his pocket and started to smash the window.

Daniel became alarmed. Everything was happening too fast. The screaming, the smashing sound, and the obviously mad men was more than he could bear. The car engine was still alive, so it was easy for him to quickly drive the car out of the scene.

The men were left behind as they watch the car drive away with regrets.

“Who are you? And who are those men? What did you do to them” Daniel asked as the distance between his action spot and his car increased.

“I don’t know… Oh my head” she touched her head with both of her hands. “I have no idea who they are. I didn’t do anything to them and I have never seen them before.”

“Woman, I am going drop you off whenever I get to somewhere safe. I don’t know what you have with those crazy guys and I don’t care, look at my window for God’s sake.”

“Please don’t drop me off. I really need your help.” She pleaded.

“Help with what? I don’t know who you are and I am not interested in h…”
“I don’t know who I am.” She cut in.

“What? What do you mean by you don’t know who you are.”

“I can’t remember anything about me. The last thing I remember is waking up this morning in a hospital bed and these men trying to kill me. I escaped and here I am with you.”

Daniel tried to look at her face for a second before returning his gaze back to the road. He wanted to be sure she was serious and really sane. At least she was serious, but he wasn’t sure if she was sane.

He remained silent and continued to drive to nowhere in particular.

7 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:11am On Apr 29, 2013
will post more this evening before going to bed. your comments will be highly appreciated, thanks.
Re: The Religion by honeeyplum(f): 10:26am On Apr 29, 2013
Great start.....following
Re: The Religion by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 29, 2013
Oga franko, u don start ds wonderful story. Me dey ur back wella.
Re: The Religion by oyestephen(m): 3:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
Once again...sorry frank for the loss
I love this story...reminds me of a similar novel....
Re: The Religion by frank317: 3:11pm On Apr 29, 2013
Nice to know u are following @honey. I will try not to dissapoint u.

@Damexx, I have gone more than half way so I decided upload and see what people will think about it. This will inturn make me decide if I will rush to finish it or not.
Re: The Religion by frank317: 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2013
oyestephen: Once again...sorry frank for the loss
I love this story...reminds me of a similar novel....

I see u Oyestephen. Similar story?... I bet u, this is going to take much defferent direction. well, I just hope I will end up intriguing you beyond ur xpacetation.
Re: The Religion by MaziOmenuko: 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2013
Subscribing sharp-sharp!!!

And if you make me beg for updates. . .I will. . .
Re: The Religion by indrija: 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
Nice one...pls upload like 10times @once.
Re: The Religion by Uniquexty(f): 5:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
Frontseat tinx. Following. Great write-up. Over subscribing.

1 Like

Re: The Religion by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Subscribing sharp-sharp!!!

And if you make me beg for updates. . .I will. . .
hmmm, oga maxi, u re also a very wonderful writer o, just finished ur part 1 and 2 of ur nysc story. Nice one, but i dont know why ur fans dont learn anytin apart of se.x part o.

@oga frank, ds is typical of u, u re a writer who likes writing a killing story line, and thus why we like and love you.

1 Like

Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2013
Mazi, i will try not to make u ask me for updates, no worry,

@indrija, 10 times!!! i must b in trouble...

nice to have u here uniquexty, lets go there
Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
Chapter 2

Being the first day of the week, Mondays was usually the busiest. This was evident in the pattern of behavior of citizens in Owerri. There was obviously no time to socialize as everybody focused on the business of the day each according to their plans.

To Chidi the routine for Monday morning was the same for every other week days. He would normally wake up by 6am, jog for 2hrs, work out in his small gym for 1 hr, take his time to prepare himself a mouth watering breakfast that would surely replace lost calories and prepare for work. All these activities would make him get to work on or before 10am on daily basis.

Today he got to work at almost 10.30am. He wasn’t in a hurry because he has successfully repaired most of the problematic cars yesterday before leaving for the state gym; going to the gym every evening was a routine to him. As an experienced mechanic, Chidi was already used to all the pressures that went with the work. So he had devised a strategy that would ensure that he was always calm. That was by being truthful at all times and making sure the work was done. Thanks to his involvement in body fit exercises, where he had learnt how not only to keep the body fit, but the mind too.

Something was not right at the other end of the street where the love of his life lived. He was quick to notice the hysterical behavior of the people around that end immediately he got to work.

“What is happening over there? He asked one of his boys who had come early and was already busy on one of the cars.
“I heard Nkiru’s elder sister didn’t come back last night. Nkiru has been making a scene all morning. She seems very sure that something bad has happened to her.” The young lad replied to his boss.

“But what is so worrisome about Adanna not coming home for just a night? She is a big girl and Nkiru should wait till the day ends before getting herself worked up.” Chidi complained as he tried to make out her figure from the growing crowd. Seeing her every morning had a way of energizing him to work better. The sight of her was also his good luck charm, he believed.

“Well she has been complaining that her mobile phone is not reachable and it is unusual.” Chidi’s boy replied.

“Have they contacted the police?”

“Yes, but the police told them that they will have to wait till 24hrs elapses before taking necessary action.”

Chidi instantly wished he could help but didn’t know how. He had once tried communicating with Nkiru but didn’t succeed in saying anything meaningful. He had lost his composure when he noticed her starring at his dirty and oil stained cloth disgustingly. She had maintained a civil look which didn’t encourage him to go on talking in anyway. She had quickly walked away and leaving unspoken words hanging on his mouth. He was glad he had chosen a discrete scene and moment.

But he never stopped loving her. She was the girl of his dream despite having so many girls flocking around him. But he didn’t know how to go about making Nkiru understand how he felt about her.

Sometimes Chidi wished he was a graduate. The only certificate he was able to get before becoming a full time mechanic was just a Diploma in mass communication. This was something a lot of people didn’t believe was true considering the fact that he communicated fluently in English and coordinated himself like a gentleman with formal training. Well, he was making good money with his present business, he would console himself. But he hated the society for allowing people without formal educational training to be treated like second class citizen especially in social gathering which he attended much as a result of his likeable nature. He was also sure that his educational status was also a hindrance to him having a meaningful relationship with Nkiru. He wasn’t sure she would want to date a half educated mechanic like him.

He was friends with Adanna but couldn’t just get along with Nkiru. What was it about his feelings for her that made communicating with her very difficult? He always wished Nkiru was as friendly as her sister. The two girls were the opposite sides of a coin. Though both girls were pretty but Adanna was warm and accommodating while Nkiru was cold and always kept to herself.

He hoped Adanna was safe. Chidi decided that he would talk to his police friend when he gets to the gym this evening.

Chidi was a mechanic in the day and a boxer trainee in the evening. This in fact summarized his daily activities. And this was why he was a heavily built young man with strong legs that stood firm to the ground. His broad shoulders always got the girls stealing multiple glances especially with the fact that his tummy was flat, thereby giving an admirer the impression that the packs were tight and complete. Chidi was 30yrs old with an athletic agility of a 24yr old man.

He was his own boss after fifteen years of experience and hard labour. His workshop was big enough to accommodate 20 cars and he had 5boys working for him. He was good at his work and had earned customer’s trust with his ‘no lying to please you’ policy.

He couldn’t wait for the evening to reach so that he could speak with his police friend. Perhaps he could give him one or two information that would help. He just hoped nothing bad had happened to the ever friendly and kind hearted Adanna.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2013
Benson got into his office and sat down heavily on his office chair. He was just returning from the high court where he had defended a notorious politician who was accused of embezzlement. Today was the final session of the hearing and Benson had once again come out victorious for his client.

Benson was the best criminal lawyer in town and so was under the payroll of all the corrupt politicians and businessmen in town and beyond. Benson was also born into the most notorious family in Owerri. The Omenka family was highly dreaded by all; even the police ensured that they did not get involved in any case with them.

Notoriety ran in the blood of every member of the Omenka, starting from their grandfather who was now late, to Benson’s offspring who were the youngest in the family tree. Negative connotations like murder, ritual killings, drunk driving, cultism elections rigging, street fighting and blatant oppression were always associated with the Omenkas. But the Omenka’s majored in drug business. This was the source of their massive income and they would do anything to do away with anyone who tried to become a hindrance to the success of their business.

The fact that Benson was a 39years old criminal lawyer did not make him a gentleman. Once, his car got hit by a police road warder popularly known as ‘Yellow Fever’ who was trying to control traffic. He had given Benson signal to stop at a junction, which had no traffic light, for adjacent cars to move but Benson had refused to stop. The road warder had angrily hit the E-Class at the back causing Benson to stop. Benson made a call to his notorious brothers asking them to come while he made a scene by asking that the policeman must get into the boot of his car so as to spend the rest of his day there. This event almost stopped the economic activity in Owerri as it resulted to heavy traffic for over five hours. It took the intervention of the police commissioner to resolve the matter.

As he sat on his office chair, he continued to stare at his cell phone. He was expecting a call.

The family purse has been going down lately causing them all to cut down on their extravagant life style. This had not been going well with them all.

Suddenly, the phone rang.

“Hello,” he spoke into the phone.

“It’s been done. Chief Orji is dead.” Came the reply from the other end.

“Thank you.” Benson replied. He was about to cut the call when the caller spoke up.

“Papa said I should remind you of the family meeting this evening.”

“I will be there, don’t worry.”

He cut the line and smiled. Foolish Chief Orji had vowed to be an obstacle to the progress of one of his clients. The Chief had claimed to be a man of justice and would never overlook corrupt practices just as long as was in a political position that would enable him air his view. This has slowed down the business pace of Benson’s client hence the poor flow of income into Benson’s purse as well as his family’s.

He was glad the fool was gone. This will put fear in the heart of all intending obstacles. The Omenka family now has hope after all.

He quickly stood up and looked around his luxurious office. He ensured he didn’t forget anything before leaving the office for an urgent afternoon meeting.

How would Benson have known that a helpless amnesiac lady had unknowingly saved his life from the hands of a vengeful Daniel this morning?

1 Like

Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:51pm On Apr 29, 2013
“Look, I don’t know who you are and I don’t care. If you feel your life is in danger, go to the police and leave me the hell alone.” Daniel rudely said as he drove to nowhere in particular.

This lady from God knows where had stopped him from carrying out him plan. How was he going to go through another night knowing that Benson was still alive! He was very furious. He had no plan of being alive today; he never looked forward to today.

She had fainted in his car just after they had escaped those thugs and reviving her had been a different issue on its own. He had stopped the car just after the Control Roundabout and sought the help of a woman with a retail outlet nearby. She had come around after fifteen minutes and was just looking well enough to speak.

“Please sir, I am sorry for barging into your life. I really don’t know why you are angry but I didn’t mean to upset you. I was in danger and I believe God used you to…”

“God used me to do nothing! Instead he used you to ruin my plan. He does not ask for my opinion before using people in my life. But he did nothing to help my helpless wife and daughter in their time of extreme need.”

The confused lady couldn’t really understand why this man displayed so much anger. He had saved her life and she was nothing but grateful to him. She had seen what those two killers had done to three nurses at the hospital and was sure that it was a miracle she was alive. But how could she show appreciation to a man that was acting angry for even helping her. She wondered what issues he was going through that was making him act this way.

The head ache returned once again. It was unbearable and she supported her almost bursting head with her hands as she began to feel dizzy once again.

Daniel noticed she was in pain but he was sure that he was feeling worse than whatever she felt. He prayed she doesn’t faint once again.

“The best thing for me to do is to drop you at the police station so that you can explain your confused self to them better or I take you to the hospital where you can be treated of whatever is wrong with you. “He said.
“I just feel safer with you.” She weakly said.

“With me?” this was unbelievable. “You don’t even know who I am. How can you feel safe with me?”

“I don’t know. I also don’t know why those men wanted to hurt me. I don’t believe I have done anything wrong with them.” She thoughtfully gazed at the side mirror through the cracked up window, “I don’t even know why I was at the hospital in the first place. How and why did they locate me? Who are they? Who am I?” she said to herself but loud enough for him to hear.

He didn’t want to but he found himself feeling pity for her. But that wouldn’t change anything. Her life seemed so complicated for him to handle because his was over.

It was almost twelve noon and he was beginning to hear his stomach rumble. He just remembered that he had not eaten anything all day.

He decided to drive home to get prepare himself something to eat, he didn’t have any money with him here. Neither did he have money anywhere. But he was sure he could get something to eat at home no matter how little it was. Then he will really relax and think of what to do with this strange lady and Benson.

He stretched his right hand and turned on the radio, it could help him get his mind of the present situation. The news at noon was about to be read.

“An unknown patient at City Hospital Weatheral had escaped this morning after killing three nurses. She is believed to be suffering from a form of psychotic disorder and is considered dangerous. The public is thereby asked to be conscious of…”

“What?” he quickly slammed the break and stared at her. He was heading towards his house at Area N in World Bank Housing Estate. But with the latest news, he sure wasn’t going to take this lunatic to his home. “You killed three nurses? With what? How did you…”

“I don’t have the slightest idea of what they are talking about. Those men killed the nurses before coming for me,” She desperately explained.

“And you didn’t think it was necessary that you tell me?”

“I have not really had the time to discuss anything to you” she cried feeling her head thump again.

“How did you do it? How were you able to kill three nurses and escaped from those men? Who the hell are you?” he was almost screaming.

How could she explain to him to stop shouting?

“look, I don’t know who I am, I can’t remember why I was at the hospital, I don’t even know how I got there, but one thing I can assure you is that I didn’t kill those nurses.”

“Then why the hell are you being accused? Why can’t you even remember anything?” he asked.

“I don’t know alright? I don’t know why I am having serious headache, I might have hit my head or something because I feel pain on the top left side of my head.”

He continued to stare at her for some seconds, “isn’t it possible that you might have killed those people without remembering? Don’t you think those men were just trying to restrain you?”

“Didn’t you see them? Have you forgotten how desperate and dangerous they looked? Besides, do I look capable of killing anyone? Look sir, I saw these men kill those nurses. You need to believe me.” She maintained.

“But why couldn’t they get you? I mean how did you escape?” He probed.

“I… it wasn’t like they wanted to kill me, they wanted me alive, I saw a chance to escape and I did.”

Daniel shoved his head back helplessly, thinking of what next to do.

“I really need you right now more than ever. I need your help. The police are after me, some unknown men are trying to kill me. I can stay in your place and use it as a hideout until I can sort things out and decide on the next thing to do. Please.” She pleaded.

He remained silent for a few seconds that seemed like forever to her and then started the car engine and drove off.

1 Like

Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:57pm On Apr 29, 2013
alright guys, next update will b coming tomorrow, thanks

1 Like

Re: The Religion by VanTee20(m): 10:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
You are doing a great job Mr. Frank. I just hope you won't mind editing the very few typhos in the first post, like author for arthur, religion for relgion etal. Anyways I dey follow you like twitter. Keep the good work up sir.smileysmileysmiley
Re: The Religion by frank317: 11:12pm On Apr 29, 2013
VanTee20: You are doing a great job Mr. Frank. I just hope you won't mind editing the very few typhos in the first post, like author for arthur, religion for relgion etal. Anyways I dey follow you like twitter. Keep the good work up sir.smileysmileysmiley
thanx... but i still de vex for u, what happpen to ur own update? i hope u will post something tonight
Re: The Religion by VanTee20(m): 11:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
frank3.16:

thanx... but i still de vex for u, what happpen to ur own update? i hope u will post something tonight
No vex my oga, I go try post the update tomorrow, my head still dey hot for that exam wey I write.smiley
Re: The Religion by oyestephen(m): 11:49pm On Apr 29, 2013
Very nice, apart from a few typographical errors, and punctuation here and there
Re: The Religion by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 30, 2013
VanTee20:
No vex my oga, I go try post the update tomorrow, my head still dey hot for that exam wey I write.smiley
oga frank no mind dat ancient roman guy call van, him write jamb, imo no wan give us update. I go write letter 2 oga dibu now,if u dont update@van
Re: The Religion by VanTee20(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2013
Damex333: oga frank no mind dat ancient roman guy call van, him write jamb, im no wan give us update. I go write letter 2 oga dibu now,if u dont update@van
My bro, nor let us derail oga frank's sense making thread. I go try update my tori todaysmileysmileysmiley.
Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:39am On Apr 30, 2013
Chapter 3

Priest already knew that his men wouldn’t be able to get her. He had once again allowed his emotions to have the best of him. He mustn’t continue to make a fool of himself; it was time for him to start using his sixth sense. He must stop thinking like an ordinary man and allow his spiritual self to take over. Adanna must die with the next three days or he would face his doom.

She was his nemesis, his archenemy, even though she was not aware. In fact her ignorance was his greater doom.

Priest believed in the significance of opposites, Black vs. white, dark vs. light, good vs. evil and God vs. Devil. To him, just as God has the devil as his enemy, we all have our assigned enemy, but since we are still humans, our enemies are also humans like us. Unfortunately most religious bodies make people believe God’s enemy was their enemy. Adanna, Priest believed, was his assigned enemy.

Priest was a 32 years old delusional but brilliant founder of a group called ‘The Religion’. According to him, humans all are gods on earth, a belief that had its origin from early exposure to the bible. Priest was of the view that our main purpose for being here on earth was to face it off with our earthly enemy. This is the only way we can be transformed into Gods of our own world after death. Yes once one of two rivals on earth wins, he or she becomes a God in a very new world while the loser becomes the devil; the rivalry continues there but with the winner ruling endlessly with dominance over the loser.

The universe, according to him was an endless space which defines the true meaning of ‘forever’ and can contain zillions upon zillions of worlds. That means the citizens of our new world after death are also required to become gods of their own after death. This process continues to infinity.

This was why his preaching was centered on identifying your earthly enemy and killing him. They were a brotherhood that looked out for each other and helped each other kill off their enemy. Apart from preaching about love for one another, Priest’s special function in the church was to help members identify their enemies. He, in his sermon made them understand that their enemies could be their friends, neighbors or even clients at business areas. And one thing was certain, ones enemy was never too far away from him for a long time.

All these knowledge he acquired through listening to his inner spirit; the small ‘yet to manifest’ god in him likewise every other individual.

“We couldn’t follow them when the car drove off, we are truly sorry for failing my Lord.” Chinedu pleaded.

Chinedu and his partner, Jack, were Priest’s special executioners, they also sometimes partook in crime together with Priest. Priest had met Chinedu in the prison on one of his evangelism while Jack was introduced to him by an old time criminal friend. They were Priest’s best choice given their intelligence and determination. Further they were both ruthless and took their calling seriously.

Like every other member of The Religion, Chinedu and Jack respected Priest and saw him as a god whose mission was to make gods out of them. He made them feel special.

Chinedu had succeeded in killing his own earthly enemy, a 23 years old final year student of Federal University of technology, Owerri. She was the daughter of his family neighbor who never liked him. Jack was yet to find his enemy but believed in Priest’s words; that he should have faith.

Right now, killing Priest’s Enemy was their utmost important mission.

Priest was smiling. His executioners think it was their fault that they couldn’t kill Adanna. He was wearing his normal white robe. Priest never associated himself with anything black except something he can’t help, like his skin and hair colour. The slim, average heighted and energetic preacher also dark in complexion. All his cloths were white, religious building was painted white even the chairs and all members must be dressed in white. If they were at their normal places of work, they must have something white attached to their work dress code. White was what they represented. It symbolized victory and to be victorious was their mission on earth.

“I knew it wouldn’t be possible to kill her so easily. Don’t stress yourself. In fact I should be blamed for allowing you to go out there to waste your time. I should have known better. Please forgive me.” Priest was a slow talker and his voice sounded like they were coming from a pit of intelligence. One can’t help but listen just to savoir its penetrating effect. “But I wouldn’t count your mission as a loss yet. Right now, I want to believe that there were details you got about here that could help us know her where about.” Priest was a very intuitive person and most times made right guesses. He wasn’t bothered with the fact that three nurses had been killed in the mission.

“Yes my Lord. We were able to get the registration number of the Toyota Siena that drove her off.” Jack quickly said.

“Ok, give it to me and allow me to ruminate over what next to do. I will need the whole day off, please inform all visitors that I will not be available for the rest of the day. Thank you.” He said and quickly walked into his inner chamber. He needed to make sure Adanna was dead within the next three days. Priest was convinced that if Adanna does not die before then, he would lose his own life. He must speak with his inner spirit. He will definitely find answer to his problem.

4 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 9:51am On Apr 30, 2013
“Yea, take a punch! Left! Right! Again! Good, good!” Chidi’s trainer screamed to his ear. “Okay, that’s enough for now, well done.

Chidi continued bouncing in the ring. He felt good. His trainer said he was improving and he was happy with the news. He jumped off the ring to join Inspector Bassey who was waiting for him. Chidi had earlier asked Bassey to wait for him if he finished his training before him.

“You are really improving, I can see you are not joking with your desire to become a boxer,” the policeman said as he waited for Chidi to clean himself up and get dressed. He had been observing his friend throw off some punches.

“It’s not that I want to become a professional boxer, I just enjoy the sports.” Chidi said as he led the policeman towards the exit of the sports centre. “Hows work?” He asked. Chidi intended to convince Officer Bassey to pick interest in Adanna’s case. He was aware that she had not been found all day.

“This city is getting crazy man. This is the only place I can locate my sanity. Chief Orji was murdered in cold blood on his way to his home at the early hours of the afternoon. And I guess you heard of a crazy young woman who murdered three nurses before escaping from City Hospital this morning.”

“Yes, I heard about Chief Orji, what a shame… he was such an upstanding man.”

“That’s what we are facing my friend. The work is not an easy one, especially with the likes of the Omenka family making the job a real hell for us.” Bassey complained.

“Mhn, I don’t envy you my brother. But how far have you guys gone with the investigation on Chief’s murder? Any lead yet?”

“Well, I shouldn’t be telling you anything about the case for now. But as my friend, I can tell you that the arrow points to the Omenka’s. And that makes the investigation a more difficult one. You understand what I mean?”

Chidi understood quite alright. Bassey never stopped complaining about the Omenka family. They were really a threat to his profession. “How about the case of the three dead nurses? Any information on her where about?”

“None yet, and the difficult part is that no one knows her identity. Nothing about her was known before she left this morning because she was obviously not in touch with reality yesterday when she was brought in.” Bassey replied hopelessly.

“I agree with you, the town is indeed going crazy,” Chidi thoughtfully concurred. “You know my neighbor at my workshop has been missing for almost 24hours now?”

“Wow, male or female?” the cop asked.

“Female, she is the elder sister to Nkiru, my crush.”

“Ahh, ok, but are you sure she is missing? It could be one of these girlish trips. Have the situation been reported?”

“No… Yes but the sister was asked to wait until 24hours elapses. I am a little bit surprised myself; she isn’t the type that makes such trip without her sister’s knowledge. Besides I heard she actually went to the saloon to retouch her hair on Sunday evening. It has been confirmed that she actually reached the saloon but never got home,” Chidi explained.

“That is weird… okay, just give me her description, I will open a file once I get to the office right now.”

Chidi quickly gave his police friend Adanna’s description. They reached Bassey’s car. “That is okay, I will see what I can do and I will definitely give you a call once something comes up.

“Thank you very much. See you tomorrow.”

Chidi quickly walked up to his Toyota Camry, got inside and drove off. He couldn’t help but pray that Adanna was alright.

2 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:13am On Apr 30, 2013
“Hello, can you hook me up with Doctor Samuel please?” Daniel spoke into his mobile phone. He was sitting in his comfortable brown leather seat that stood distinct in his shabby apartment. The strange lady was sleeping on his bed in the bedroom which was equally shabby.

They had gotten home and Daniel had quickly prepared the last Indomie Noodles that remained in its carton; something he had overlooked before leaving house this morning with intention of never to come back.

He had been keen enough to observe her reaction to his unkempt home, but something happening in her head needed more attention than the condition of his home.

She had laid down on the bed obviously suffering from a severe headache and had barely stood straight to eat the meal he gave her.

He was sure she needed immediate medical attention, and the only person he could remember was his Doctor friend, Samuel. He prayed that Samuel would forget his actions in the past and come to his aid.

“Please who should I inform him is calling?” Came a smooth female voice which Daniel guessed was his secretary.

“Tell him it’s Daniel, Daniel Ikoha.”

“Alright, please hold while I inform him.”

Daniel didn’t have to wait for long. Samuel came online within forty seconds.

“Daniel, how are you?” Samuel asked. The surprised note in his voice wouldn’t go unnoticed even for a deaf person. “You remembered me today.”

Daniel had avoided everyone he knew in recent times. He had avoided concerned friends who had tried their best to help him get over the demise of his wife and daughter. Samuel was the closest friend he had and he had taken more of the heat. Daniel started seeing him as a hindrance to his delicate plan only because he had confided in him. This had caused a friction between them.

“I seriously need your help now,” that was the only thing he could mumble. He couldn’t just apologize for avoiding his friend all these while.

“Are you okay?” the doctor asked in a concerned tune this time around.

“I have a sick lady here in my house; I will need you to examine her for me.” Daniel replied hastily.

“Why don’t you bring her to my clinic? From the way you sound, she must be in a critical condition.”

“Yes, but for some reasons, I can’t bring her to the clinic. Please, I will explain when you come around.”

“How do I locate you then?” Samuel asked, remembering once again how Daniel had avoided him. He had been unaware of his friend’s current home address after he had moved out of the house he shared with his wife and kids after their demise.

“House 192, Areal N, World Bank Housing Estate.”

1 Like

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:15am On Apr 30, 2013
Daniel stood by his side and observed as the doctor examined the female patient in his house. He asked her few questions and allowed her to continue lying down while he motioned Daniel to join him in the sitting room.

“You know this environment is not healthy for you right?” Dr. Samuel said. Looking at his friend, he could see that he had actually changed. There was an uncomfortable hardness that surrounded his eyes and they spelled nothing but determination. He was quite lean which wasn’t surprising to Samuel; he was sure Daniel wasn’t feeding well. He felt both concerned and pity for his friend. And now he wondered what Daniel was doing with the sick lady.

“What is wrong with her?” Daniel couldn’t look his friend directly in the eyes. He also didn’t have anything to say about his shabby home. All his concerns for now were for the lady in his bedroom. She had suddenly become a burden to him, something he had not prepared for but somehow couldn’t avoid seeing her as his responsibility.

Samuel sighed deeply. Another change he noticed in his friend was his new found taciturn nature. This was really unlike Daniel of the past. “She is suffering from amnesia. Something traumatic happened to her which had led her into a state of memory loss. After close examination, I am sure her situation is as a result of a recent hit on her head. The bruises are obvious and this is responsible for the constant headache.” He explained.

“Is she in danger of any kind?”

“She definitely needs medical attention. She could be bleeding inside. I mean, if the hit was hard enough to cause her memory loss, there could be other damages that are not observable except we run some test… who is she?”

“I don’t know who she is. She was escaping from some hoodlums when she ran into my car asking for help. I helped her and now she is stuck with me.” Daniel said.

“Well, you can help her further by bringing her to the clinic. Staying here will do her no good.” Dr. Samuel was the owner of ‘Our Saviour’s Clinic’ a small clinic along MCC road.

“She made me promised not to take her anywhere. The fact is that she has been accused of killing three hospital staff and now she is wanted by both the police and the hoodlums.”

“Why are you allowing yourself to get into this? This could be too dangerous for you and you could get yourself into trouble with the law.” Samuel explained. “How are we sure that she is innocent of what she’s being accused of? I heard the news this morning.”

“She is not guilty, I saw those two men chasing her. They looked more dangerous than anyone I have seen lately.” He paused, “I have decided to help her.”

“Then do this by bringing her to the clinic, you mustn’t also get involved with the men who tried to harm her.”

“Tell me about amnesia, do you think there is any chance she could regain her memory soonest?” Daniel inquired, not wanting to be persuaded by the doctor to do anything she wouldn’t like.

Samuel sat up straight in preparation for a long speech, “there are two main type of amnesia, the retrograde amnesia which is the inability to retrieve information stored in the brain before the date of accident or trauma. Then there is anterograde amnesia which is the inability to transfer new information from the short-term memory into the long term memory. Sometimes these two types could occur together. I think your lady friend is suffering from the former.

Now, amnesic patients have been discovered to have suffered damage to their medial temporal lope or specific areas of the hippocampus. The fact now is that I can’t determine the extent of the damage without running important tests.”

“Like I said, hospitals are generally ruled out. Can’t you just prescribe a drug that can help reduce the headache and even help her recover her memory soonest?” Daniel was already feeling that the lady’s case was beyond help given the long explanation by the doctor.

“I can prescribe general drugs but that’s no guarantee that she will recover her memory soonest, it is also not a guarantee that she will be in good health, hence her life may still be at risk. Most amnesic patients take time to recover; some never even recover at all. This is not eliminating the possibility of a short term recovery. But taking patients to areas familiar with them have proven to be helpful in most successful cases.”

“Wow, I don’t even have idea of areas or anyone she is familiar with.” Daniel cried.

“Yes you also run the risk of losing her to internal bleeding or having her brain damaged if professional treatment is not given to her.” Samuel injected.

‘No! She is going nowhere.”

Samuel was taken aback by this outburst. “Alright, I will try the best I can to help the both of you. Give me a piece of paper.”

Daniel quickly tore out a piece from a note book lying carelessly on the floor and gave it to the doctor.

Samuel brought out his pen and wrote down the names of required drugs. “Buy them and make sure she takes them this night. It will help reduce the headache, but if there are further damages to her brain that could be life threatening, I honestly don’t know. I will come and check her up in the morning.”

“Thank you very much,” Daniel said and stretched his hand to collect the piece of paper. They both stood up. “Can I ask you for a favor?”

Samuel stopped

“I will need some money, I don’t have anything on me now so…”

“That is okay,” Samuel dipped his hands in his pocket and counted five thousand naira. “This will do for now, I will get you some more tomorrow. He couldn’t hesitate lending his help despite the loss of communication for sometime because both have come a long way. They were good buddies and he wouldn’t wish even his enemy what his friend had passed through two years ago.

Daniel thanked the doctor as he left. He closed his door and walked into the bedroom.

She was sleeping peacefully.

Daniel stared at her for some time. She might be in trouble with the law or whoever, but there was a calmness about her that intrigued Daniel.

It was peace.

Then he admired her features. She was beautiful or at least admirable with full lips that reminded her of Meagan Good’s, a lady he had seen in a foreign movie that he watched recently and admired. Her sleeping face reminded him of a well decorated hotel room with her neat dark hair like the beautiful expensive roof a luxurious mansion.

Why would anyone want to hurt her?

He looked at his wrist watch. It was almost 8pm. He’d better rush off to the chemist and get the drugs for her. Quickly, he dashed out of the building.

4 Likes

Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:20am On Apr 30, 2013
Chidi couldn’t help but wonder what might have happened to Adanna. And the imagination of Nkiru’s pain was almost unbearable for him. How will the poor girl cope in such a terrible situation?

He had just finished doing 50 pushups which had cause his biceps to swell and thicken making it difficult for him to stretch his hand and take the can of star beer in the fridge.

His two bedroom apartment was immaculately furnished with expensive up to date furniture. The touch in the room was the handwork of one of the best interior decorators in Owerri, a touch that had a special appeal to his visitors, especially the ladies.

He had asked one of his flings who wanted to spend the night with him not to come again, lying that he wouldn’t be coming home tonight.

Nkiru was worried and so should he. To him, spending the night with another lady despite her pain was quite unfair to her. She didn’t need to return his love for him to feel their hearts beat simultaneously.

A movie series was showing on DSTV but Chidi couldn’t concentrate.

He decided he would go to the police station first thing tomorrow morning and ensure the missing person case is looked into in the early hours of the day.

He was almost dozing off right there in his sitting room when his mobile phone rang. Startled by the sound, he immediately stretched his left hand and picked up the mobile phone. He picked the call without checking the caller ID.

“Hello,” he mumbled.

“Chidi, you sound like you’ve been sleeping.” The caller said.

Chidi immediately came back to life. Bassey’s distinct cop voice was all he needed to be wild awake. “Don’t mind me, I will have to cut down on excess food, it is making me get lazy.”

“Well, I have news for you. The description of your crush’s sister fits that of the lady accused of killing three nurses this morning. Thought I should tell you because we will be talking to Nkiru tomorrow morning. We will need to get more information about her sister.”

“Adanna? That can’t be possible. Adanna cannot hurt a fly. Are you sure the description match?”

“As sure as I am that I am a man. We will talk more in the morning. Take care.”

What a strange information, Chidi thought. He was almost sure that his police friend had gotten some things mixed up somewhere.

Well, with this info, he was going to approach Nkiru and make some enquiry before the police speak with her in the morning.

He finished up the remaining can of beer and went straight to sleep.

2 Likes

Re: The Religion by oyestephen(m): 10:22am On Apr 30, 2013
Just like "cyber lover" this story has a touch of "spiritualism"....keep it up
Re: The Religion by frank317: 10:22am On Apr 30, 2013
all right guys, thats all i gat for today and tomorrow, nxt update comes in on Thursday morning. abeg make una tell me say i try, if una feel say i try.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Collins Oscar Wedding Dress (Pictures) / My Childhood Life With My Spoilt Neighbours- SEASON 2 / Did you Know and Great Inspirational Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.