Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (150366 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
grin ;Dhanhan simsaly and efosa... its okay pls lets go back to the original intent of this page,,no quarells pls..
@onari pls will be waiting for your post ohh i m so happy dt i wont be using p[atterns ;Dhanhan simsaly and efosa... its okay pls lets go back to the original intent of this page,,no quarells pls..
@onari pls will be waiting for your post ohh i m so happy dt i wont be using patterns, i av folded my material into two has u suggested with d bust measurements
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
@my bust is 39 using ur calculations earlier will 2YARDS MATERIAL BE ENUF FOR ME..

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 4:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
@ favour- it'll be enough. I've compiled the 'cut' so would post it on my way home...
If you want you can even add an extra 2 inches to the total sum you got from your calculations to b on a safe side.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:17pm On Aug 06, 2013
simssaly: @ef0saval- i'm not here 2 quarell but to enjoy ths sew along. I dont knw what it is wth u,u just seem to be really forward.hav u been nominated class prefect or sumn? Chillax ds is meant to b a fun thingy even tho it's obvious u here mostly to recruit students fr ur school. It shldn always b bout wts beneficial bizness wise.onnari doz thz things t help as u can see frm all her threads and blog.
*my 2 cents*
All ds c0s 0f a machine-i hate 2 argue on s0cial media n jst j0ined nairaland cs 0f d sew al0ng as i stated earlier.later guys.

I shall pretend i did not see some of the things you posted dear.but let me make this very clear.................... i am doing this becouse i love to, also because i can help others. So you cant stop me from having fun here at all cheesy

(Why on earth would you think am only here to recruit students....... and wetin bring beneficial business wise talk..? Coz i dont get u undecided ) Class captain jist, from the onset of this post i indicated that i would volunteer to co -instruct with onnari which she said was cool .why are you know talking as if i am out of line.

i want to remind you that when this thread was almost dead about a month ago i was one of those that kept posting to make sure that this thread stays on.......so now that the thread is now back on it is me that help to keep it alive then that is killing the fun for you now.........habaaaa!

I rest my case wink

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Dressmaker(f): 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
Hie, I am new here. How do I participate? I can sew to an extent. I am just lazy about it and not quiet self-motivated. So I feel I can get some motivation from here- making dresses simultaneously with other designers.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by simssaly(f): 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
Lmao! ur deluded o! ur keepn d thread alive.i actually had 2 visit previous threads 2b sure. Hw did u manage2d0 that plz? i think thats insultn 2 the 0wner 0f this thread. anyways, i liv it at that. u sim too p0wer hungry2me. if u were the thread's originator......only G0d kn0ws!

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 06, 2013
We are all here to have fun,I believe.@ efosa,honestly, you and onnari, have being doing a great job,business recruit or not,I'm coming to that your school when I finish serving.I know the basics of sewing, would have loved to join in,but no machine for me to use here sad.
@simsally,life is much easier,if we don't just hate,and recognise help.let's just have fun please.no bickering. We aint bitches. wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
mZ sleeq: We are all here to have fun,I believe.@ efosa,honestly, you and onnari, have being doing a great job,business recruit or not,I'm coming to that your school when I finish serving.I know the basics of sewing, would have loved to join in,but no machine for me to use here sad.
@simsally,life is much easier,if we don't just hate,and recognise help.let's just have fun please.no bickering. We aint bitches. wink cheesy

Oshe...........dear cheesy na God go bless you.I understand where the wind is blowing from,grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
Dressmaker: Hie, I am new here. How do I participate? I can sew to an extent. I am just lazy about it and not quiet self-motivated. So I feel I can get some motivation from here- making dresses simultaneously with other designers.

You are welcome dear.you can perticipate by getting your fabric first and joining the sew along train,the fun thing here is that you would get to see other people post their jobs or ask questions while they sew along. So do feel free to shear you sewing fun or issues with the group.wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 10:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
onnari :
Sory bout that, I didn't go through that because I'd gone through it earlier. And don't apologise for asking questions-that's what this whole experience is about - learning/sharing.
1. Take your bust measurement-in this case 33".
2. Divide by 2 - making 16.5"
3. Add seam allowance(in this case 1.5" on both sides making 3" right?)
4. Add bodice gap (u know the cut that's shaped like a triangle?) That's 2" when folded so we make an allowance of 4".
5. Add them up: 16.5+3+4 = 23.5
And that's the width of the fabric when folded so you then begin your markings. You could try this out on paper or underlining so you master it first. When understood and used repeatedly you'll be amazed how easy and flexible it is. You can also use it while cutting dresses,jackets,...etc
Note that I didn't use shoulder measurements yet, later today I'l be making a post about cutting the shoulder,armhole etc and after that post, we cut the back bodice.
Onnari,Onnari,Onnari--how many times did I call you! You be correct gal. I dey send cyber hug as I dey type.
This explaination makes it so much clearer

3 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Ima2: 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:30am On Aug 07, 2013
Sorry about the late post-had a long tiring day.
All the drama and tension...it's OK! This isn't a political rally! @ efosaval-just try to ignore ok?it's no big deal @ simsaly- please don't feel excluded or upset, not just one person but every contributor is helping to keep the thread alive which I'm thankful for cos my work routine is hectic and really demanding,it's a miracle how I make time for online activities that aren't very work related.
@dressmaker and Ima you're very much welcome, the more the merrier!
To post your photos:
1-click 'reply' underneath the recent posts
2-click 'browse' or 'choose' tabs to locate your photos on your hard drive.
3.Select you photo from where it"s stored.
4.Click 'submit' but try not to leave the message body empty and photos can't exceed 200kilobytes.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:40am On Aug 07, 2013
This post shows how we shape the front piece of our bodice.
*again,forgive the picture quality-these are phone camera photos*
1. Measure and mark out or make a notch your shoulder- as you already know,I'm using 13" so folded, I'm at 6.5" (I added a half inch because of the armhole hem so the half inch acts as hem allowance)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:47am On Aug 07, 2013
1. Measure and mark out 3" from the center fold for neckline width(if you're on the big side e.g size 16 and above, or you just want a wide neckline like a boat neckline or something feel free to make your width wider)
2. Measure and mark out your neckline depth (here I'm using 5" so I marked out 4" to leave room for shoulder seams when joining the front bodice to the back as well as when sewing in my neckline with interfacing.
3.Cut out

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:53am On Aug 07, 2013
1.At the shoulder tip, make a one 1" mark downwards and cut slanting downwards from your neckline tip.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:00am On Aug 07, 2013
In cutting the armhole, you can use this method if you don't want to make do with a french curve.
From the top of the shoulder I.e your neckline tip not the shoulder tip, mark out a depth of 7"(or 6.5 if you want a really high armhole, please note that the more busty you are the 'deeper' the depth so to be safe, you can stand in front of a mirror to see what works for you and measure, OR make reference to your sleeveless clothes for armhole depth)
- mark out according to your armhole measurement from depth to shoulder tip(note that when I say shoulder tip I mean the ball of your shoulders)
-cut out.

**my armhole ends at the chalk mark so you don't think it's as wide as that!! *grin*

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:15am On Aug 07, 2013
Now mark the following points:
-Apex (here 9" but I marked at 9.5" to leave for shoulder seams)
-Empire (here 12" but I marked at 12.5" to leave for shoulder seams as well)
- Waistline(normally 2" above the navel, here this is the point where we join to the band. I made mine 2" below the empire which is 9" making 11"- and yes I've trimmed the length. #yesterday I mentioned leaving the full bodice length to better explain the princess seam cut)
1. At these points mark out according to your measurements. Now the way the princess curve is cut, I made room for the *boobies* when cutting as you'll notice the rise at the apex so, for this bust of 33" I'm using a measurement of 17" for the front and later, 16" for the back. This gives a better fit as opposed using equal measurements for the front and back.
2. Make room for seam allowance. Here I used 1.5" seam allowance
3. Cut out
4. At the bottom, make a little slant upwards from your princess seam as you see, it slants downwards. Don't leave it that way at all!!! Lol

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:19am On Aug 07, 2013
And voila! You're done! Easy eh?

You've done well, now Keep this aside and on the next post, we'll tackle the back bodice.
*wink*

Ps. Note that you can deepen your armhole but just a bit. And do you notice the bulge at the apex? That's why I made use of the 17/16" measurements for front and back. The bigger the bulge/cup the larger the difference between front and back.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:23am On Aug 07, 2013
yodiyokun:
Onnari,Onnari,Onnari--how many times did I call you! You be correct gal. I dey send cyber hug as I dey type.
This explaination makes it so much clearer

I don receive ur cyber hug o! Thanx dearie :-)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 3:50am On Aug 07, 2013
onnari :
@wizb it doesn't change anything.u just install ur zipper in ur seam allowance

@onnari, thanks a lot. Despite your tight schedule you still find time to teach us here. God bless you.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 6:57am On Aug 07, 2013
Weldone Onnari.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:57am On Aug 07, 2013
Yea supper job onnari.....for real,it very detailed.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:07pm On Aug 07, 2013
Thnx lots...
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
These are my pieces
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:31am On Aug 08, 2013
wizb: These are my pieces

I no see any thing o. cheesy
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ogaronye(f): 1:06am On Aug 08, 2013
very iteresting!!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 1:06am On Aug 08, 2013
onnari :
Now mark the following points:
-Apex (here 9" but I marked at 9.5" to leave for shoulder seams)
-Empire (here 12" but I marked at 12.5" to leave for shoulder seams as well)
- Waistline(normally 2" above the navel, here this is the point where we join to the band. I made mine 2" below the empire which is 9" making 11"- and yes I've trimmed the length. #yesterday I mentioned leaving the full bodice length to better explain the princess seam cut)
1. At these points mark out according to your measurements. Now the way the princess curve is cut, I made room for the *boobies* when cutting as you'll notice the rise at the apex so, for this bust of 33" I'm using a measurement of 17" for the front and later, 16" for the back. This gives a better fit as opposed using equal measurements for the front and back.
2. Make room for seam allowance. Here I used 1.5" seam allowance
3. Cut out
4. At the bottom, make a little slant upwards from your princess seam as you see, it slants downwards. Don't leave it that way at all!!! Lol

Onnari... you are a genius. everything you posted was clear up until this part. Do you mean that we are marking out the circumference at the bust, empire and waist and cutting the side seams? If we do this wouldn't the rise of the bust affect the marking. Last question, why are you doing the upward slant and what is the measurement?

other teachers, when should we expect your posts?
other students - has anyone of you started yet? please post pictures of your progress.

I am going to try on a test garment first before I cut my real fabric.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:49am On Aug 08, 2013
yodiyokun:

Onnari... you are a genius. everything you posted was clear up until this part. Do you mean that we are marking out the circumference at the bust, empire and waist and cutting the side seams? If we do this wouldn't the rise of the bust affect the marking. Last question, why are you doing the upward slant and what is the measurement?

other students - has anyone of you started yet? please post pictures of your progress.

Yodiyokun..................what a name grin cheesy
My post is next......am waiting for onnari to give the go ahead coz that would indicate she is done with her part the bodies.

I done cut my whole cloth sha.....just waiting to post wink
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 7:27am On Aug 08, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

I no see any thing o. cheesy

Lol! The pix no gree upload. I've been trying to upload it since yesterday. I'm using a fone so I can't resize it. I will try it on a PC later.
I thought of lining it and using a fabric stay, how do I do that?
Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:26am On Aug 08, 2013
yodiyokun:

1. The cup of the bust wouldn't affect your markings cos you'll take into consideration I.e don't flatten It,let it 'rise' just as it is and then let the tape measure lay over it. If for example your bust measure is 36", you can make the bust measurement for the front bodice 19" and the back 17" etc
2. The upward slant is to prevent a funny sloppy look after you join the bodice to the band. As per measurement, you can use a half inch from the bottom, and then just cut upwards.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:29am On Aug 08, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Yodiyokun..................what a name grin cheesy
My post is next......am waiting for onnari to give the go ahead coz that would indicate she is done with her part the bodies.

I done cut my whole cloth sha.....just waiting to post wink

I was even thinking that you'd post yours to speed things up, that way, participants can just keep some fabric aside for the bodice and waist band. I'l be uploading my second post this evening/night though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply)

Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Lingerie! A Must Have! / Hack - Game Of War Fire Age - GOW Hack MOD Apk Android Tested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.