Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148135 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by lizzyify1: 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2013
hi everyone, luv dis thread. Onari nd Efosa God bless u both. @ Efosa pls can we have d drawing illustration for the back bodice.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:13am On Aug 11, 2013
@ cheries- once you've mastered the front bodice which I believe you have now by making use of the above methods, the back is cakesmiley its basically the same,proportions and all the only difference is this:

Back Bodice:

1.The width @ the center top isn't as wide as that of the front bodice cos u don't have boobs @ ur back to 'cup'. The wider the width @ the center top, the more curve you get on the bust.
*at the back you don't need to make use of the bust and underbust curve as such and your princess curve can even end up at the shoulders and you'll still be ok.
2. For those using a back zip, u'l have to leave your zip allowance, I used 1.5 for mine.
Note: IF AFTER CUTTING,your side piece is pointy where the bust is assumed to be, you can trim off the pointy paRt of the side pieces just a little, just a tiny piece so you can smoothen it out otherwise it would give you a little bulge after you join together.
@ wizb-hope it wouldn't be too late to post your request on the side zip back piece on monday?haven't had the time to work on the sew along dress owing to the fact d@ I'v bn doing some public speaking/training. It ends monday so I can post then.
You all are doing great.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:34am On Aug 11, 2013
wizb:

Thanks, I get it now. Pls what is the lenght of your bodice?

I typed out the measurements earlier. Also specified that I was making use of the full bodice for illustration purposes only and you are to stop at bout 2" after ur underbust where your band is to begin.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:54am On Aug 11, 2013
jadareese: What measurements are you working with? Post
your bust, and waist measurements.

I'm workin wt dis; bust: 38.5/38/35.5
waist:39

Based on ur measurement I got about 28" for ur fold, that can't go around your circumference. Remember that your front bodice is meant to be bigger than your back bodice cos of your bust cup.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:06am On Aug 11, 2013
TIP: After you've made pleats for the skirt,apply some fabric stay at the edges of your pleats(on the inside) so it stands and has this 'stiff' look especially if you're using ankara which would get a bit soft after washing. This tip can also apply to other soft cotton fabrics.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 6:48am On Aug 11, 2013
onnari :

I typed out the measurements earlier. Also specified that I was making use of the full bodice for illustration purposes only and you are to stop at bout 2" after ur underbust where your band is to begin.

Thanks Onnari.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:08am On Aug 11, 2013
Princess curve tip:
From the top of the fabric to the apex(the highest peak of the bust) you measure the length of your shoulder to your apex, and from your apex to your empire or underbust, you measure the length of your shoulder to your underbust (you don't have to measure the distance between your apex and underbust), and for the bodice, you just measure the length of your shoulder to your belly button.
So based on my measurements, gap between top of fabric and apex- 9", gap between apex and empire - 3",gap between empire and bodice - 6" it's all arithmetic and proportions!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Topsymyyear(m): 9:03am On Aug 11, 2013
pls can anyone give me website where I can order for unisex fashion catalog . thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:24am On Aug 11, 2013
www.next.co.uk also try victoria's secret.
Although the catalogues r sent for you to make orders though.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
onnari :
@ cheries- once you've mastered the front bodice which I believe you have now by making use of the above methods, the back is cakesmiley its basically the same,proportions and all the only difference is this:
1.The width @ the center top isn't as wide as that of the front bodice cos u don't have boobs @ ur back to 'cup'. The wider the width @ the center top, the more curve you get on the bust.
*at the back you don't need to make use of the bust and underbust curve as such and your princess curve can even end up at the shoulders and you'll still be ok.
2. For those using a back zip, u'l have to leave your zip allowance, I used 1.5 for mine.
Note: IF AFTER CUTTING,your side piece is pointy where the bust is assumed to be, you can trim off the pointy paRt of the side pieces just a little, just a tiny piece so you can smoothen it out otherwise it would give you a little bulge after you join together.
@ wizb-hope it wouldn't be too late to post your request on the side zip back piece on monday?haven't had the time to work on the sew along dress owing to the fact d@ I'v bn doing some public speaking/training. It ends monday so I can post then.
You all are doing great.

Monday is ok with me. Thank you
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yemmylastcard: 7:17pm On Aug 11, 2013
Hi everi1 am yemmy n am new here am so happy to see something like ds happenin here pls I sew aliitle my problem is wit armhole always too wide or has excess fabrics dt wrinkles or bulge out pls do help me out
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
Onari please why did you cut the band across?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2013
melissaray: Onari please why did you cut the band across?

For wide bands such as in the yellow dress, it's advisable to cut on the cross grain rather than straight as it sits better on the waist. You can try both methods(straight and across) and see the difference :-)
After you done cutting, remember to apply your fabric stay
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2013
yemmylastcard: Hi everi1 am yemmy n am new here am so happy to see something like ds happenin here pls I sew aliitle my problem is wit armhole always too wide or has excess fabrics dt wrinkles or bulge out pls do help me out

You're welcome! Your armholes end up being too wide cos you probably don't use the right measurement for your armhole. How do you take measurements for your armhole? Do you add a few inches to you actual armhole? And again the depth matters. Note that you don't use the same armhole measurements for a sleeveless garment and a garment with sleeves. A garment with sleeves normally requires bigger armholes.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:03am On Aug 12, 2013
onnari :

You're welcome! Your armholes end up being too wide cos you probably don't use the right measurement for your armhole. How do you take measurements for your armhole? Do you add a few inches to you actual armhole? And again the depth matters. Note that you don't use the same armhole measurements for a sleeveless garment and a garment with sleeves. A garment with sleeves normally requires bigger armholes.

Onnari...thank you for clarifying this. Is there a way to know the difference. I used a sleeved dress armhole to compare with my dress. So that's a no no. This s a useful tip for when I cut out a new dress.
I think I'm going to change my fabric. It has stretch and I won't be able to cut out my skirt in the same direction as the blouse.
I hope to find something in my stash.

I'm back at home so I should start sewing tomorrow afternoon.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:40am On Aug 12, 2013
yodiyokun:

Onnari...thank you for clarifying this. Is there a way to know the difference. I used a sleeved dress armhole to compare with my dress. So that's a no no. This s a useful tip for when I cut out a new dress.
I think I'm going to change my fabric. It has stretch and I won't be able to cut out my skirt in the same direction as the blouse.
I hope to find something in my stash.

I'm back at home so I should start sewing tomorrow afternoon.

Is your sew along dress sleeveless? What's ur armhole measurement?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 10:05am On Aug 12, 2013
onnari :

Is your sew along dress sleeveless? What's ur armhole measurement?

Yes it is sleeveless. IIRC, my armhole measurement is 18.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 9:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
Where is everyone...I thought we'll have more pictures by now.

Onnari, I don't want to do princess seam at the back if I can avoid it, can I just do a dart. How high should the point of my dart be.

Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
Beneath ur bust wld be ok. Can't post any photos tonight,had a looooong day :-) bear wimme guys and please send in yours if you can!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
yodiyokun:

Yes it is sleeveless. IIRC, my armhole measurement is 18.
Since it's sleeveless, it should be same 18" after sewing meaning 18" excluding seam allowance.
For sleeves, you could add an extra one or two inches, it all depends on what kind of cut it is actually and for a jacket you can do an extra 2 or 3 inches (especially lined jackets)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
But wether ur doing a curved or straight dart, be sure to:
Begin sewing from the wide point to the tip and make the last few stitches right at the fold, leaving the threads long enough to tie a know so you DON'T backstitch @ the point to avoid bubbles. If ts a double pointed dart, pin and work from middle to end and middle to end.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yemmylastcard: 11:19pm On Aug 12, 2013
Tnx I wl take to dt
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:32pm On Aug 13, 2013
@wiz B- here t'is.the way you cut the center back if you want a cut down the center back along with a side zip. Its easy though,all you need to do is taper it down the center back from about an inch above ur underbust down to the bottom at a half inch.

Again fabric width is this wide for illustration purposes.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
Then stitch together

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
Final step: the way it looks folded after stitching

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
Have a good night guys.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by tinamba: 3:27am On Aug 14, 2013
Onnari do u this profeSsionally or its just a hobby- went to your blog. It's more of a fashion do it yourself/sewing blog?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:02am On Aug 14, 2013
I own a fashion line which produces ready to wear and bespoke pieces primarily for women and secondarily(frgive my choice of that word :-) kids. Asides that, styling services.interior designing and a girl empowerment team where young girls are though to equip 'emselves with mental and vocational tools to be independent young women.
The blog is just an outlet to share stuff I'm passionate about and helping others to learn to create @ no charges @ all with the basic/simplest of tools and objects.that just about sums up what I do.

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:59am On Aug 14, 2013
onnari :
I own a fashion line which produces ready to wear and bespoke pieces primarily for women and secondarily(frgive my choice of that word :-) kids. Asides that, styling services.interior designing and a girl empowerment team where young girls are though to equip 'emselves with mental and vocational tools to be independent young women.
The blog is just an outlet to share stuff I'm passionate about and helping others to learn to create @ no charges @ all with the basic/simplest of tools and objects.that just about sums up what I do.

Very cool.......may God bless the works of your hands dear. wink

So sorry i have been away from this thread,been very busy, last week it was a wedding , this week its been inspection from federal Governent for recognition , Appraisal, and thus Approval of our Fashion school,so i really had no spear time at all,but now that that is out of the way i am back and ready to help.also i must add that i am really grateful that you guys appreciate our collective effort on this thread i pray that as some of us here have found financial benefits from doing what we love fashion designing wink so also will you guys expecially those just starting .i would like to say here that keep at it.............consistency is the key to success wink

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Very cool.......may God bless the works of your hands dear. wink

So sorry i have been away from this thread,been very busy, last week it was a wedding , this week its been inspection from federal Governent for recognition , Appraisal, and thus Approval of our Fashion school,so i really had no spear time at all,but now that that is out of the way i am back and ready to help.also i must add that i am really grateful that you guys appreciate our collective effort on this thread i pray that as some of us here have found financial benefits from doing what we love fashion designing wink so also will you guys expecially those just starting .i would like to say here that keep at it.............consistency is the key to success wink

Congrats luv! 2013 hugs from me, this is so ur year IJN !
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yemmylastcard: 1:05pm On Aug 14, 2013
Congrats!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by justsmile(f): 1:45pm On Aug 14, 2013
Hi Onnari, I must confess....this thread is great. I like the way you explain things! Would really like you to coach me...just that am not in the same town with you. I stay in abuja. Can you pls recommend a very good fashion outfit where I can learn? I want someone as good as you o! Pls, I want a good training from scratch. Am passionate about fashion. I have sooooo many creative ideas and designs in my head but I can't execute them cos I lack the skills. Wish I could fellow you guys here but I sincerely don't understand some terms and technicalities here. Pls I need ur recommendation ASAP. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.