Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148134 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 4:09pm On Aug 16, 2013
Here is my top version of this dress.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 4:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
cheesy told you mine would have sleeve and the lenght would be short............there you go....... grin

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 4:38pm On Aug 16, 2013
hmmm..@efosa.really nice and replica!!!
dis is mine tho.bt had little tweaks here n there.hopefully wil post a pix when itz tried on
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 5:29pm On Aug 16, 2013
jeez!!! seriously laughing at myself atm.m sure u guys noticed my mistake too....here's wat I wanted to post.don't mind d quality of d pix.fone cam ain't so great...

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:48am On Aug 17, 2013
jadareese: jeez!!! seriously laughing at myself atm.m sure u guys noticed my mistake too....here's wat I wanted to post.don't mind d quality of d pix.fone cam ain't so great...

I'm going to laugh with you. Its a learning process. I wish there as someone here who could take my picture when I was fitting my bodice...the bust was just too funny!!!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:57am On Aug 17, 2013
@efosa/jada- ur pieces are lovely!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2013
Hello

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 4:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
@ wizb,you really tried and your dress fits well not minding the flaws at the bust seam. Am sure U are not a learner.Good job.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:30pm On Aug 17, 2013
I'm back! Didn't get enough time to admire wizb's dress. Find it difficult to believe you haven't been sewing for long! The dress is on the way to being perfect dearie just refix the buttons on a flap, and adjust the puckering at the armholes, that's all. Great job!

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2013
Forgot to mention,the back view is perfect! *wink*

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2013
thumbs up for u @wizb.ur dress is really cool especially d skirt part.jus a bit more practice at fitting n ur done!!! welldone gurl.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ababng(m): 11:39pm On Aug 17, 2013
JUST WANNA SHARE WITH YOUsmiley

ARE YOU A DESIGNER or ARTIST( PAINTER, SCULPTOR, SKETCHER), MAKEUP ARTISTE

THis is aN OppoRtuniTy for You To showCase YouR CollEctions to guest in the Fashion, Art , Music, Telecommunication, Banking, modeling and other sectors/Industries in Nigeria and International GueSt/Scout

Over 20 professionally selected models will showcase your collection...ABAB MODEL CONTEST/FASHION ART MUSIC SHOW 2013,

BENEFITS.
1. Your Brand will be projected at interval during the event.
2. Free Invites for your customers/fans.
3. Media Hypes (social Networks) pre event.
4. Availability of our models for your look book/publicity (terms and conditions applied)
5. Advert Placement on our event catalog ((terms and conditions applied).
6. Your brand may choose to be Official Wardrobe Sponsor(designer) to the winner of the Model Contest.
This are the benefits your brand will get showcasing in our event.

For More Info contacT

Tessy Abab
+2348083222422
@ababng
Ababng@gmail.com
www.facebok.com/ababevents
KINDly REbroadcast You miGht be HelpIng Somone.....

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 1:58am On Aug 19, 2013
@temitayor, I'm still a learner o! smiley thank you.
@ Onnari, I'm blushing o smiley I will fix the buttons again and adjust the armhole. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
@jada, I'm still working on my fitting, infact I'm looking for a fashion school. Thank you.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by zaliya(f): 1:33pm On Aug 19, 2013
hi onnari, do you do pattern drafting or freehand? for now I'm learning by free-hand.I hope to 'DIY' Pattern drafting. pls recommend good books. tanks.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:02pm On Aug 19, 2013
onnari :
Hi all! I know most of us are done or almost done but I thought to post photos of how I fixed facing as it might be useful to some.

I'm at the zipper/facing stage and I have a question. From your pictures, you put the neck facing both front and back before inserting your zipper. How did you finish the top of the zipper?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
zaliya: hi onnari, do you do pattern drafting or freehand? for now I'm learning by free-hand.I hope to 'DIY' Pattern drafting. pls recommend good books. tanks.

Onnari, I'm interested in your recommendation as well. I checked a few books on amazon.com over the weekend. I have not ordered yet but I will soon.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:07pm On Aug 19, 2013
Duplicate post
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2013
onnari :
I used the same technique used in making a bow i.e with a little slash for turning sake!
Onnari, How did you attach you flap to the main dress. I guess you sew the buttons on the flap but I,m not sure how you attach the flap? thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yemmylastcard: 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2013
I want to post pic of wot I did pls hw do I ?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:38pm On Aug 19, 2013
zaliya: hi onnari, do you do pattern drafting or freehand? for now I'm learning by free-hand.I hope to 'DIY' Pattern drafting. pls recommend good books. tanks.
I employ both methods although I prefer freehand better (that's just me) would post a short list of good books on pattern drafting tomorrow
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2013
yodiyokun:

I'm at the zipper/facing stage and I have a question. From your pictures, you put the neck facing both front and back before inserting your zipper. How did you finish the top of the zipper?

I didn't insert the facing before the zipper. I placed the facing on the neckline so you could see the cut. If you go thru the pics again you'll see that the zipper was fixed before the facing was pinned and stitched to the neckline.
After sewing the facing to the neckline,you won't have a problem with finishing the top of the zip cos it'll be sewn in along with the facing

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2013
yodiyokun:

Onnari, I'm interested in your recommendation as well. I checked a few books on amazon.com over the weekend. I have not ordered yet but I will soon.

Would post some helpful ones mrrow.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:49pm On Aug 19, 2013
yemmylastcard: I want to post pic of wot I did pls hw do I ?

Click 'reply'
Type a message in the subject field
Click 'choose file' to select your pics
Click 'submit'
Be sure your pics altogether don't exceed 200mb though
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:55pm On Aug 19, 2013
yodiyokun:
Onnari, How did you attach you flap to the main dress. I guess you sew the buttons on the flap but I,m not sure how you attach the flap? thanks

You could either-
1. Fix button holes on the flap and sew buttons on the dress
2. Just pin down the flap at the edges and middle to the dress, and use the buttons to hold the flap down to the dress.(this is least stressful and time saving)
Or
Leave the top and bottom of the flap open and sew in along with the band at the top and at the bottom.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 2:15am On Aug 20, 2013
onnari :

You could either-
1. Fix button holes on the flap and sew buttons on the dress
2. Just pin down the flap at the edges and middle to the dress, and use the buttons to hold the flap down to the dress.(this is least stressful and time saving)
Or
Leave the top and bottom of the flap open and sew in along with the band at the top and at the bottom.

Onnari, Thanks for clarifying and explaining. I appreciate it a lot ooo.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 4:18pm On Aug 20, 2013
Here are some really good books I knw of:
Make Your Own Dress Patterns by Adele P. Margoli
2-Modern Pattern Design by Harriet
Pepin
3.Make Your
Own Patterns by René Bergh.
4. Pattern making for Fashion
Design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong) you can get the 5th edition
5.Building Patterns by Suzy Furrer
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Anuoluwap(m): 4:33am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:00am On Aug 21, 2013
Anuoluwap: IS THIS THE LATEST TREND IN FASHION?
www.nairaland.com/1404370/latest-inventions-nubrella-funny-looking-hands-free#17568721
Stick to the thread's topic please

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.