Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,574 members, 7,816,412 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? (9268 Views)

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? / Mini Importation Business, Am I Going Crazy Or What? / Saving Money Techniques! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 4:05am On Apr 15, 2008
Almost every book I read is on investments and money management.

I dream and breathe savings.

I could watch  suze orman and Dave Ramsey for hours on end

I don't have much fancy and expensive jewelry like most ladies.

I don't shop like most ladies do

I probably don't own more than 7 pairs of dressy shoes and 4 handbags(there could be more in the boxes in my attic but I don't miss them)

I only do my nails for ocassion (but hair is a must do)

I'll rather have the money in stocks and mutual funds.

I drive a modest  Toyota Camry even though I know I could easily drive better.

I plan and budget all my expenditure.

What gives me the greatest high is watching our savings and investments grow even though the stock market has been depressing lately.

My home is modest but superbly furnished,I could afford to live in a richer neighbourhood but would rather save the difference in the mortgage.

I hope to retire megarich  cool before 50 and by his grace I will.

I do vacation at least once a year but I pay cash. and hate to owe.

I save more than 25% of my gross income

I have no credit cards.

I never buy designer clothing unless they're on sale

I have no Louis vuitton,no prada no gucci and have no interest in them

ninewest is my idea of top of the line cool

My friends all call me for financial advice  even though I have no formal training in the subject.

The most expensive thing I own is my engagement and wedding bandset and as you guessed,I did not buy them.

I will not order room service in hotels because of the charges even though my oga doesn't mind,I feel guilty.

But I want to know if I should just relax,spend and enjoy myself a little bit more.

Are there nairalanders like me or am I alone?
Am I cheapskate or just an intelligent consumer? grin
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by tRoOE(f): 4:27am On Apr 15, 2008
Yes you are a cheapskate lol just kidding

Well that's cool, you are very good in money wise wise, lol I wish am like that but don't get me wrong I do save but damn am addicted to shopping.

I don't have a problem spending, as long it makes me happy or regret it afterwards

Most of my things are designers, sometimes i buy them on sales, or regularly prices or my mom gets them for me(my mom loves making us happy, she will rather spend all her mom on us rather than herself)

If i see something i like, i will buy it and not think about the price, that is just who I am

Am trying to curb my addict of spending but every time I tried to,it never works embarassed embarassed

In a week i spend over 100 bucks, i know it's stupid

Thank God I have a wonderful mom because she pays my credits, phone bills and some other things, but that doesn't mean i don't take care of myself, i pay my apt apt and things like that( my parent just believe it their responsibility to take care of us until we get marry)

Have tried the budget thing but no result

And let not forget osis you are cheappppppppp cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 15, 2008
lol.
omo eko you are one fashionista
I hope your bobo is ready wink

I'm yet to own a plasma or LCD
I'm waiting for the prize to fall fall fall then I get one. cool

I just got a camera phone last year after my regular cheap looking flip phone fell into the loo lipsrsealed
My first flip phone was in 2005 lipsrsealed
I had the old fashioned type for a whopping 6 years.

I always loved the digital cameras but happily used the disposable kodak cameras till Christmas 2004 when digital cameras became affordable to every tom di'ck and harry then I got one for a little over 100 bucks cool

am I really cheap or just a contented female ?
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Crownvilla(m): 5:59pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Nwando,

In my opinion, you seem pretty clued up with your finances.

Keep at it, but you may wish to spash out on yourself every now and then. This in itself does not have to be extravagent, just look for the best deal/bargain out there and spoil yourself a bit.

Meanwhile, keep saving/investing till you clock 50 and then you can reap the rewards of your savvy financial strategy. grin grin grin
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Seun(m): 6:33pm On Apr 15, 2008
but you may wish to splash out on yourself every now and then.
When I want to 'splash out' on myself, I buy chocolates and ice cream. You don't have to spend much!

Asking "am I obsessed with saving money" is like asking "am I obsessed with success?" Why not?!
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by awonboiz: 7:04pm On Apr 15, 2008
@SEUN

Jedi jedi go finish you ooo, lol grin grin

@nwando

I kinda love ya stylee, wished I had some1 like as a wifey, but it might do you good as well if u can loosen ya grip a little bit on your purse cos i know u can afford more than one vacation in a year wink
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Lady2(f): 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2008
@nwando

hun don't worry you're not the only one o.
I too will be considered a cheapsake, but you can't really tell by looking at me.

My honey tells me I'm very cheap, he even goes so far as to force me to get expensive things, as long as he's paying, I don't turn them down, but I'm beginning to because I can see myself with him for life and I want to make sure that we are very comfortable when the time comes.

There's nothing wrong with being a cheapsake, you get the same things as others but pay less for it. I call it discipline. Keep it up.

What's your occupation by the way?

The current book I'm reading is called Automatic wealth for GRADS, or anyone else just starting out by Micheal Masterson
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2008
@nwando,

Your actions may be hurting the US economy grin. Please spend more, please.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by tRoOE(f): 8:59pm On Apr 15, 2008
For God so good he gave sent someone that fit my life style grin
He will spend any amount on me/himself and still have more saved up

osis it won't hurt if you spend on yourself sometimes oh
Go for a shopping spree someday, treat yourself well, and trust me you won't regret it

LOL who still use disposable camera, abeg the digital isn't that expensive anymore, you can get one for 100

I like changing my phones every year, I haven't gotten a chance to get a new one this yr sh (lol money plenty for my hand ) the proverb my mom use when she's broke

Come on plasma TV are always on sales especially in sears, or go after thanksgiving when they have that black Friday sales
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by dremoney(m): 10:43pm On Apr 15, 2008
Nice moves (recommended),
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by bigbumper(f): 10:47pm On Apr 15, 2008
nwando:

The most expensive thing I own is my engagement and wedding bandset and as you guessed,I did not buy them.

RichyBlacK:

@nwando,
Your actions may be hurting the US economy grin. Please spend more, please.

ROFLMAO, you guys are nutters, I have not laughed like this in a while, my side hurts.grin grin grin.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 2:51am On Apr 16, 2008
~Lady~:

@nwando

hun don't worry you're not the only one o.
I too will be considered a cheapsake, but you can't really tell by looking at me.

My honey tells me I'm very cheap, he even goes so far as to force me to get expensive things, as long as he's paying, I don't turn them down, but I'm beginning to because I can see myself with him for life and I want to make sure that we are very comfortable when the time comes.

There's nothing wrong with being a cheapsake, you get the same things as others but pay less for it. I call it discipline. Keep it up.

What's your occupation by the way?

The current book I'm reading is called Automatic wealth for GRADS, or anyone else just starting out by Micheal Masterson

Praise God I have a sister on nairaland.
do you also sneak in your own diet coke into the movie theaters lipsrsealed
when I dress up and knack my sunglasses I bought at ross for $9.00,I blend right in with omo eko and her $300 Gucci shades cool
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 2:55am On Apr 16, 2008
tRoOE:

For God so good he gave sent someone that fit my life style grin
He will spend any amount on me/himself and still have more saved up

osis it won't hurt if you spend on yourself sometimes oh
Go for a shopping spree someday, treat yourself well, and trust me you won't regret it

LOL who still use disposable camera, abeg the digital isn't that expensive anymore, you can get one for 100

I like changing my phones every year, I haven't gotten a chance to get a new one this yr sh (lol money plenty for my hand ) the proverb my mom use when she's broke

Come on plasma TV are always on sales especially in sears, or go after thanksgiving when they have that black Friday sales

ah ah
I said I got digital camera in 2005 when the price became affordable.
As for plasma TV,I'm waiting for when they become dirt cheap by God's grace in 2 years.
Hopefully there'll be a special
"Buy a 42 inch plasma and get an Ipod  and blackberry for free" ROFL
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 3:13am On Apr 16, 2008
awon boiz:

@nwando

I kind of love ya stylee, wished I had someone like as a wifey, but it might do you good as well if u can loosen ya grip a little bit on your purse because i know u can afford more than one vacation in a year wink

Thank you dear.
May God grant you a wife as frugal as Nwando smiley
may all those high maintanance chics trip and fall over before they get to you.

Crownvilla:

@ Nwando,

In my opinion, you seem pretty clued up with your finances.

Keep at it, but you may wish to spash out on yourself every now and then. This in itself does not have to be extravagent, just look for the best deal/bargain out there and spoil yourself a bit.

Meanwhile, keep saving/investing till you clock 50 and then you can reap the rewards of your savvy financial strategy. grin grin grin

You've made my day.
Now I really know I'm on the right track.
I know I should probably loosen up a bit but I don't know if it's my modest upbringing by 2 hard working civil servants that's stopping me.

My hubby and I went to disney world sometime ago and I would not let him book the disney resorts.
No way.
Why should we stay in some resort with palm trees for a whopping $325 a night for 3 nights not including food and park and show tickets when there is a residence in by Marriott for a fraction of the cost. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Do you know how many stockfish I can buy with the difference?
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Scopium: 7:28am On Apr 16, 2008
[size=13pt]There's absolutely nothing wrong with your lifestyle as far as it works for you. You don't need to spend so much to be happy. You may not have control over your income but control over your expense is what matters most.[/size]
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by outlaws(m): 7:33am On Apr 16, 2008
cool

Cheap stingy people rarely get rich. Some people are always worrying about money. They can’t just buy something without mentally debating with them selves. For example, before they get gas or fuel, they will roam around the whole city looking for cheap gas not knowing that they are wasting money roaming around.

1 Like

Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Dividends(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2008
Guess Ur upbringing (which is similar to what I had) contributed to the way U handle money. Thanks for starting this thread. Now I know I'm not "too thrifty."
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by SENATORJD(m): 8:45am On Apr 16, 2008
there aint anything bad in buying stuffs for ur self, but it all comes down to moderation, "buy what u need not want u want". dnt buy a new ride cos u want it buy cos u need it. apply this to allmost all stuffs and u'd find out u'd save some xtra cash, kapish
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Sholeyb: 10:39am On Apr 16, 2008
@nwando

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your attitude, infact we need more people like you. I am a lawyer who represents people who have housing problems, which has been brought on by debt. Usually my clients have rent/mortgage arrears and other debts, and believe me there are a lot of people in debt.

The only caveat to you is to watch your attitude closely, if it is becoming an obsession, that you cannot even part with money to give to others or God, then there is a huge problem. My other advice is to start to support a charity of your choice, or even better to sponsor a child.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by clemcykul(f): 10:44am On Apr 16, 2008
i concur with all your views.

Nwando ure not stingy or thrifty in my opinion, ure disciplined with ur finances. buy the necessecities and ones in a while indulge ur self. extravagant life styles never leave u content with yerself. prudence with finances should be the epitome of our lifes.

just imagine urself earning 30thousand a month and u buy a cloth and shoe worth 30thousand isnt that stupidity?
cut ur clothes accordn to ur material/size.

my views though. wink
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by shushu(f): 11:36am On Apr 16, 2008
hey nwando,
you are not alone.
I wear the same clothes for 5years and people cannot comprehend it,they just say i am stingy, for me if the clothes are in excellent condition, why not
.I calculate the price of items by the ml when we go shopping etc.In fact when my husband and i go shopping, i am always like this is good business if we have a market for it .
My first gold was also my wedding band and subsequent other pricey gifts have been from my husband 9which i would never buy for myself) .
but i guess i am better than before as i tend to give more now.
I dont think people like us are strange,its just different strokes for different folks.
cheers
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by naijacutee(f): 11:37am On Apr 16, 2008
You are not obssessed, you are gifted. Some people have to go to school (Myself not excluded) to do what comes naturally to you. And we still fail miserably. . .
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by kalmebad(f): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2008
@Topic

Everyone has contributed wisely to this topic leaving me to learn one or more things
Well it is a wise thing to invest, good to make the hay while the sun shine
We all r' different in our ways, tots, life, expression, attitude, perception and philosophies
Lets all not forget that this life is only once, haven't seen a person who has had chance of reincanating
I have alwaz embraced good life, i don't have so much to live on, but the little i make, i go for the best i can afford within my limmit
Live/death does not lie in our power, live today as if 2m never exist
No one knows what the furure holds or how long we live on earth, so why don't u make the best beacause thats the much anyone can offer herself/himself. When we die the living go scampring /loothing what we left behind
I save wisely and same time am expensive and that's y guys in my office keep saying it will be hard to manage my account, grin grin. Who cares .
When death calls, i die a happy person
I can't stop looking good, hasn't been my nature, and too late now
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by delejames(m): 2:30pm On Apr 16, 2008
hmmm, with all this obsession i'm seein from different posters about saving money,i hope u guys remember life is so short.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by oluwdashmi(f): 3:54pm On Apr 16, 2008
Thank god I have a twin sister grin

I used to wonder if I am the only one cos pple won't just understand when I say I am being myself

I can't just pay for a hotel booking of thousands of naira per night that some pple wouldn't mind doing a million times.

buying expensive cloths makes me go crazy a times and I see opportunity in every business.

I sometimes ask myself what will become of the wealth I dream of, and i just resolve to tell myself that I will support humanity with it.

Even if pple condemn me, I can't change cos it is my natural way of life, I didn't learn it from anybody.

There was a time my dad told me that I had to adjust a bit cos whenever anyone sent me something, I would cut the price to the minimal not knowing the price of the product may have increased grin
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by SENATORJD(m): 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2008
hmmm interesting,, once again i say buy if its a need and dont if its a want
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 16, 2008
Sholeyb:

@nwando

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your attitude, infact we need more people like you. I am a lawyer who represents people who have housing problems, which has been brought on by debt. Usually my clients have rent/mortgage arrears and other debts, and believe me there are a lot of people in debt.

The only caveat to you is to watch your attitude closely, if it is becoming an obsession, that you cannot even part with money to give to others or God, then there is a huge problem. My other advice is to start to support a charity of your choice, or even better to sponsor a child.

Thanks for your advice.
By God's grace my hubby and I believe in giving and I know God has blessed us financially by giving to our Church and members,charities and other
worthy causes.
We also do sponsor a child at "feed the children" and another charity.

I'm asking God to bless us immensely so we can be blessings to others not just to be self sufficient.
I dream of having boreholes dug at my village so that people can have clean water at no cost and I know that will happen in the near future.
That is the cause dearest to my heart.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 16, 2008
I am excited to know that there are many who also think of the rainy day and save save save.
@ all your contributions have been awesome.
Like someone earlier said,there are many people in heavy debt living from pay check to paycheck and I refuse to be one of them.
The same people riding the latest Mercedes and lexus and living in opulence are the same ones calling to borrow money.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by 4Play(m): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2008
If only Nwando was younger than me and unmarried. . . . .she will make a good wife. lipsrsealed
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by minute(f): 4:09pm On Apr 16, 2008
i save a lot too.
LOL.Now that i know that im not Weird i can heave a sigh of relief.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by yomicious2(f): 4:11pm On Apr 16, 2008
D best 2 b is 2 b frugal.i ve always liked pple that kw how to manage resorces.Im like that too.Always countin my gains before undertakin any project.PPLe like us neva get broke.instead we serve as savin grace to others especially in our places of work.so its gd.keep it up all nairalanders with this kind of spirit.These days our type is really rare.
Re: Am I Obsessed With Saving Money? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2008
4 Play:

If only Nwando was younger than me and unmarried. . . . .she will make a good wife. lipsrsealed

LOL
You should have just said If only Nwando was unmarried.
Spoilt married a younger man, it's actually in vogue

minute:

i save a lot too.
LOL.Now that i know that im not Weird i can breath a sigh of relief.

Thank God there are many like us that choose to live below our means.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

23 Super Tips To Get The Kind Of Results You Want In Freelancing / Egypt Leads Africa In Foreign Direct Investment In 2020 / Finally Revealed: How Pastor E.A. Adeboye Got So Rich!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.