Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,367 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School (15067 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 12:36pm On May 05, 2013
Check this out (it shows that you can't just go and get any piece of land or water and start building on it) https://www.nairaland.com/1272995/fashola-revokes-governors-consent-lekki
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by wesley80(m): 12:37pm On May 05, 2013
naptu2:

But how do you know that won't happen?

Every society needs order. Rules and regulations are enacted to create that order. The people must follow these rules and regulations so that there will be order. Therefore, the first question is, did the builders follow the rules and regulations?

Secondly, even if the government will eventually dialogue with the builders and provide an alternative, the government must make the point that people must follow rules, otherwise people will go out and build all kinds of structures and demand that they should also be given exemptions. The result will be chaos (the type of chaos we witnessed in the '80s and '90s when military governments ignored planning laws).
Oh come on! What rules are we talking about in a city with one of the most expensive real estate in the world where thousands still have no choice but to live on shacks built on lagoons and drinking from same water they poo on? What rule permits the existence of that kind of inequality?
Someone steps in the gap trying to do what the govt. ought to be doing and its termed illegal simply because Fashola is trying to build a city that PRETENDS not to have a poor populace and you think you can justify it? Come on now!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 12:39pm On May 05, 2013
wesley80:
Oh come on! What rules are we talking about in a city with one of the most expensive real estate in the world where thousands still have no choice but to live on shacks built on lagoons and drinking from same water they poo on? What rule permits the existence of that kind of inequality?
Someone steps in the gap trying to do what the govt. ought to be doing and its termed illegal simply because Fashola is trying to build a city that PRETENDS not to have a poor populace and you think you can justify it? Come on now!

Even when you want to do something good, you've got to do it right. Everybody knows that you've got to get permission before you build, so the question is, why didn't the builders do that? That really is the question.

See here https://www.nairaland.com/1272995/fashola-revokes-governors-consent-lekki
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 12:43pm On May 05, 2013
It's more or less an appeal to sentiments, but government is not about sentiments. I'm sure that they would have even gotten support from government if they had done things properly, but you can't be lawless, even if you want to do something good.

Is it ok to carry guns and go and rob a bank because you want to feed beggars on the street? What if someone dies during the operation? It would have been a simple matter if they had gotten proper documentation, so the question is, why didn't they?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by fuckluv(f): 12:51pm On May 05, 2013
naptu2: Actually, I don't think it's an issue of rich vs poor. Infantino Private School here in Lekki, had to stop operating from their premises (off Durosimi-Etti Street) because it contravened Ministry of Education rules about school premises.

Developers want to convert the former Federal Secretariat in Ikoyi into luxury flats, but they can't because they've not got planning permission.

Reconstruction works at the 1004 Estate on Victoria Island was delayed for months because the developer contravened planning rules. It was only resumed after the developer regularised their operations.

So the question is, did the builder obtain permission to build that structure and was it approved by the ministry of education?
The only sensible response ve seen so far. Keep it up
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 12:58pm On May 05, 2013
fuckluv: The only sensible response ve seen so far. Keep it up

Thanks.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by slimfit1(m): 1:41pm On May 05, 2013
It's about town planning you don't just put anything anywhere without planning and considering health and safety issues. To create jobs you have to think about the elite. Poor people don't create jobs. Lagos is very complex thousands come in every day. Lagos can only develop when other states start to develop and create jobs for their people. Lagos is carrying a lot burdens for this country.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by tomber(m): 2:08pm On May 05, 2013
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 05, 2013
If it had been GEJ, this thread would have been filled with curses and abuses but as far is the Saint fashola no one bothers.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 05, 2013
Go Fashola! Hmmm! Go Fashola! Hmmm! Destroy all those useless makeshifts. They are eyesores.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by joeyfire(m): 3:19pm On May 05, 2013
While it is necessary for there to be order and the organizations that built the school should have obtained permits from the LASG I have something against high handed authority that always seeks to flex muscles at every given opportunity.

I can understand zero tolerance for a luxury housing estate but when you consider the lot of the people in makoko, you check the priceless value of education especially for kids who ordinarily cannot attend school because of conditions I can't fathom why the state government should arrogantly step on the project.

Abeg fashola should embrace such endeavours and discourage LASG officials from suppressing initiatives that can only make his state better.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by samfibby(m): 3:40pm On May 05, 2013
I think it's hi-time we define or re-define what proper building is in Lagos. This BRF's govt has never hidden its hatred and disdain for the poor that make up the masses. A project of this nature should be cheered by all individuals of the society irrespective of their status. This project would get approval by the govt if it had been proposed and developed by its cohorts and associates.
To say the truth, this govt hasn't really embarked on a project that directly impacts the life of the very low, especially as it claims to ensure there is housing for all b4 2020.
BRF, wherever you are, let this project be for the sake of the future of makoko upcoming generation.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by samfibby(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2013
slim fit :
To create jobs you have to think about the elite. Poor people don't create jobs. Lagos is very complex thousands come in every day. Lagos can only develop when other states start to develop and create jobs for their people. Lagos is carrying a lot burdens for this country.

This part of your quote i really can't understand. Texas was developed by peasants. New york continues to attract millions year in year out, i dont hear the mayor complaining. FYI, lagos IGR continues to outpace other states, not becos the rich in lagos pay their tax, a large portion of tax remittance is contributed by the poor that labor day in day out and mid income earners.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by namdee(m): 3:51pm On May 05, 2013
The idea of demolishing the structure is what I find most disturbing,is it not a floating structure
Why not move it elsewhere instead of destroying it. I am sure they will appreciate the structure in bayelsa or PH
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 05, 2013
namdee: The idea of demolishing the structure is what I find most disturbing,is it not a floating structure
Why not move it elsewhere instead of destroying it. I am sure they will appreciate the structure in bayelsa or PH
Please, post image of the school here so that we can see what has been destroyed.

Thank you.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by obailala(m): 4:11pm On May 05, 2013
Lagos To Demolish Ultra Modern Makoko Floating School
“The simple answer to the floating school is that it is an illegal structure and it shouldn’t be there.” The commissioner said that its development will affect the government’s redevelopment plan for the area, saying “This wouldn’t deter us to abandon our plan for the area.”

If they say the floating school shouldn't be there, instead of demolition, can't this floating school simply be relocated?
#just.asking undecided
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by GAR3TH(m): 4:17pm On May 05, 2013
obailala:

If they say the floating school shouldn't be there, instead of demolition, can't this floating school simply be relocated?
#just.asking undecided

It can be relocated to togo or any other country that doesn't have building codes. These type of structures are illegal in all of Nigeria and any sane country that has building codes. Try doing the same in New York and see what happens.

Demolition of illegal structures is done for the safety of the public and residence. Its not about them being poor like some people make it out to be. Even many buildings in rich neighborhood in Abuja, ikeja and lekki were demolished because they were illegal structures. So people should stop trying to twist this issue. An illegal structure is an illegal structure regardless of wealth.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 4:19pm On May 05, 2013
obailala:
#just.asking undecided

The commissioner didn't say that it will be demolished. That's just the usual sensational headline from the newspaper.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by tushbobo(m): 6:15pm On May 05, 2013
This is a well researched project which will indeed improve makoko residents' quality of life.These are some pictures and architectural renderings of the project.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by tushbobo(m): 6:18pm On May 05, 2013

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by tushbobo(m): 6:26pm On May 05, 2013
The design is innovative

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by delpee(f): 6:42pm On May 05, 2013
The project is a great idea but physical planning is the responsibility of government and approval is required before building any structure. Let's forget sentiments, law and order is vital for good governance.This is not a poor vs rich issue though I feel for makoko residents and hope there's a way to resolve this amicably.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 6:48pm On May 05, 2013
According to "Tushbobo", they weren't trying to build one illegal school. It looks like they were planning on building an entire illegal village!

This floating school has been on the BBC, CNN, and some other places I cannot remember. The state has known about it for a while. I wonder if the 'community' part is new, and is what made them finally take action?

Put yourself in the minister's shoes. If you are honest, you know that the residents will use the lagoon as a toilet/trashcan. The water will become extremely polluted and become a massive health hazard to the people living there (and to anyone else using the water, or that lives nearby).

Then you also have to think about safety. How safe are these buildings in the event of a flood? What about drowning? Little kids floating on deep water is dangerous, period.

From Wikipedia: According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury related deaths, with 96% of these deaths occurring in low- and middle-income countries.[3] In many countries, drowning is one of the leading causes of death for children under 12 years old. For example, in the United States, it is the second leading cause of death (after motor vehicle crashes) in children 12 and younger.[4] The rate of drowning in populations around the world varies widely according to their access to water, the climate and the national swimming culture.

Drowning itself is quick and silent, although it may be preceded by distress which is more visible.[5] A person drowning is unable to shout or call for help, or seek attention, as they cannot obtain enough air.

It's the governments responsibility to keep it's citizens safe. Tearing down illegally built floating schools is definitely part of that mandate.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 05, 2013
They should tow it some place else were it will be appreciated.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 7:04pm On May 05, 2013
Some have suggested that it should be moved to Port Harcourt, but I'm not sure that it would be welcomed there either.

https://www.nairaland.com/470093/rivers-court-declines-stop-waterfront

https://www.nairaland.com/498319/booing-galore-gov-amaechi-dares
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by femibig(m): 7:20pm On May 05, 2013
Nairaland Forum
Welcome, femi big(m): Edit Profile / Followed Topics(4712) / Liked(10) / Followers(1) / Trending / Recent / New / Logout
Stats: 1054614 members, 1215482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2013 at 07:16 PM

Nairaland Forum New Post
Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Post (Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School)
Shame on this Government, these people would never have seen the feature on CNN. What is wrong in giving this masterpiece the needed Approvals. Shame on them.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by femibig(m): 7:34pm On May 05, 2013
djustice: They don't want the children of the poor to be educated. This is consistent with their policy of reducing educational opportunities across the South West, either by increasing fees astronomically, or closing down educational institutions outrightly, and sharing the land, like they did at Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikosi campus, which is now the premises of TVC and Radio Continental, both owned by Bola Ahmed Tinubu. The rest of the land was converted to an Editors Village, for editors of media houses that pledge their loyalty to the thieving, bug-eyed jagabandit of Bourdillon, Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Tell them the truth. Ofcourse this Government will deny this known facts by a few previledged.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by aniiii(f): 8:13pm On May 05, 2013
shocked is this real life??
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 8:52pm On May 05, 2013
femi big: Nairaland Forum
Welcome, femi big(m): Edit Profile / Followed Topics(4712) / Liked(10) / Followers(1) / Trending / Recent / New / Logout
Stats: 1054614 members, 1215482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2013 at 07:16 PM

Nairaland Forum New Post
Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Post (Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School)
Shame on this Government, these people would never have seen the feature on CNN. What is wrong in giving this masterpiece the needed Approvals. Shame on them.

Trying to show off your likes ?_?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 8:53pm On May 05, 2013
aniiii: shocked is this real life??

No, it's a Nollywood movie.

If you look real close you'll see the school is really Tonto Dikeh.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by aniiii(f): 9:10pm On May 05, 2013
Michaeljones36:

No, it's a Nollywood movie.

If you look real close you'll see the school is really Tonto Dikeh.

You mean hollywood?

and who is tonto dikeh?

im half nijarian, very ignorant of my country i must say,
until my room mate introduced me to nairaland
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by wesley80(m): 9:26pm On May 05, 2013
aniiii:

You mean hollywood?

and who is tonto dikeh?

im half nijarian , very ignorant of my country i must say,
until my room mate introduced me to nairaland
Perhaps you should first learn how to spell the name of your country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bolanle Ambode Presents Cars To Raffle Draw Winners / Rumors Of Ortom's Plans To Join PDP Heightens As He Reconciles With Suswam / FG Opens Case Against Dino Melaye In Alleged False Information Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.