Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,169 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School (15066 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by rapmike(m): 9:57pm On May 05, 2013
keishik: I keep wondering why Fashola hates the poor so much, not content with destroying poor and innocent peoples properties on land he's carrying over his insanity to the lagoon?
Sometime ago there was talk of converting the Makoko settlement to some kind of African Venice and you'd expect the hypocrite to embrace the idea but no way, this one went on a rampage weeks later destroying peoples homes in a senseless rampage that left entire families drifting in the lagoon for weeks without end. They've managed to gather their lives back and just when the future of their children seems to be under real helpful consideration, the pauper - hating governor is about to roll out the marine bulldozers again!
When in a few years this ids that are about to be denied basic education start robbing and bombing the rich hitherto pampered by Fashola and his band of elitists I hope his asslickers will recall how they all gradually sowed the wind. God help us all.
this is a two way thing again. while i can see some reason with fashola in banning this, am not impressed with the level of heartlessness he is chasing this project away. i understand from the info given that the foundation is on empty drums and barrels . that seem like a shaky foundation(at least from what i know about foundations of a building is that it must be firm enough to avoid sways and shakes from nature(e.g waves and storms in this case) and i dont tink that it will stand a full blown storm, just my observation and sm1 with better knowledge could help out), apart from that, i see nothing wrong with it
wat does not impress me about wat fashola's govt did here is dat he is not providing an alternative. at least this guys are trying to help themselves, the least he should do it to assist them. Later this are ppl that with come out and say that they are committed to achieving MDGS! am not impressed with the actions at all.
my overall score on Fashola on this .... AN ALARMING F
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Remii(m): 10:01pm On May 05, 2013
Why would Yaba Local Council Development Area, LCDA take part without proper got clearance ?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by tushbobo(m): 11:18pm On May 05, 2013
For those talking about drowning and human waste,if you vist Makoko you'll understand better.Their houses are built on stilts(drums being used for the new development being more stable).The kids and every one else live in wooden houses built on water,their schools and markets are also delapidated wood structures on water.Human waste from the community goes into the water.The school is not being built for those who hitherto had theirs on land but for children who had been attending school on that same water body in poorer conditions.Kids never drowned there prior to the project because thats their life.So this project is not out of the blues but an effort to improve the living standard of the community.
The only reason the development may be stopped is if the government has plans to demolish or relocate the Makoko community.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 05, 2013
People should think well before casting aspersions at the Lagos government naw ahn ahn.
This is a great idea, but they need the go-ahead of the state government before
they can build such structure(s) at Makoko or elsewhere...

I understand that the poor in Lagos have suffered a lot in the Hands of Fashola, but
being poor is no excuse for occupying spaces illegally. The homeless in the streets of New York
for example can't just establish structures any where they see space...

The only issue I see here is that Occupants of the water town had their buildings destroyed within
a very short period from the first time they were notified about the demolition plans by the government.

Everything should be done in the right way u know; I don't see why any structure should be built in a state
without an approval from the state's government in the first place.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 12:29am On May 06, 2013
wesley80:
Perhaps you should first learn how to spell the name of your country.

See this girl's posts...

aniiii: I dunno about other women

But I love sucking kiss

I've got very strong jaws as well wink

An excellent gag reflex to top it!

Sucker for life

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/798320_Ibu_See_Your_Life_jpg1030324e1885c4035f90d0fcf3b524d1[/img]
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 12:33am On May 06, 2013
Behind bobo: For those talking about drowning and human waste,if you vist Makoko you'll understand better.Their houses are built on stilts(drums being used for the new development being more stable).The kids and every one else live in wooden houses built on water,their schools and markets are also delapidated wood structures on water.Human waste from the community goes into the water.The school is not being built for those who hitherto had theirs on land but for children who had been attending school on that same water body in poorer conditions.Kids never drowned there prior to the project because thats their life.So this project is not out of the blues but an effort to improve the living standard of the community.
The only reason the development may be stopped is if the government has plans to demolish or relocate the Makoko community.

The state government is probably planning to relocate the Makoko community.

Why? For all the reasons you named. Using the local water as a toilet, and trash heap, is the most obvious reason they should be moved.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 5:13am On May 06, 2013
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by cdamsel(f): 7:23am On May 06, 2013
alaoeri: Op ask yourself is the place fit for school or is this the kind of school u attended?
CNN ran a story on dis months ago,d arch explain dat d structure met a certain standard dat can withstand d winds cos of its triangular nature.I guess d demolition might ve sometin 2 do wit d story mayb it makes them look bad,bt if u ask me,I wld say dey shd leave it,d only sch they ve is already falling apart & unsafe,@ least d arch seem 2 know wat he is doing.its unfair 2 take dis away 4m them,can't imagine hw heartbroken these kids wld b if dey hear dis
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by IOMN(f): 8:02am On May 06, 2013
I can't help but think that the appropriate people didn't get their "kickbacks" so they decided to deem the school a violation of building code or the government feels this new approach to construction on water implies the permanency of Makoko village in the area. Either way, I think it's reckless to make such a decision to not approve the structure without providing a reasonable alternative. Children need access to education to minimize the likelihood they'll become miscreants. Let them have the school. angry angry

I think the government forgets that children are the future and the opportunities that are provided to them today will affect the future of Nigeria.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Solozzo(m): 8:57am On May 06, 2013
effisyman: But really, is it safe studying on that thing?

whirlwind nko?

This was not the defense raised by the govt. By the way, did govt provide a better alternative?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by texazzpete(m): 11:22am On May 06, 2013
Michaeljones36:

The state government is probably planning to relocate the Makoko community.

Why? For all the reasons you named. Using the local water as a toilet, and trash heap, is the most obvious reason they should be moved.

And now there's a plan to build a modern, eco-friendly solution to the educational needs of the Makoko community, the best option is to demolish abi?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Olaolufred(m): 11:52am On May 06, 2013
THIS SCHOOL IS ILLEGAL IF NOT APPROVED BY GOVT OF LAGOS STATE.
IF FOUNDATION IS FOUND TO BE SUB-STANDARD, IT SHOULD BE PULL DOWN BEFORE THE NEXT BLINK.
THE SAME POOR WHO ARE MAKING SUB-STANDARD STRUCTURES, WILL COME COME BACK TO SAY GOVT.DOESN'T CARE WHEN SUFFERING THOSE ACTIONS.
LAGOS, GO AHEAD.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by pholubaba(m): 12:17pm On May 06, 2013
THIS IS SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS...I SAW THE PROGRAM ABOUT THIS SCHOOL ON CNN MONTHS AGO AND I SAID TO MYSELF "SOME EVIL PEOPLE WILL MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T WORK" AND NOW IT'S COME TO PASS...i STILL DON'T SEE A REASON Y THEY SHOULD DEMOLISH THE STRUCTURE, THE ARCHITECTURE IS SOUND, ITS BUILT FOR THE MAKOKO PEOPLE THAT R ALREADY USE TO THIS WATER KIND OF LIFE AND THE MOTIVE BEHIND IT IS GREAT (ITS A KIND GESTURE TOWARDS THE POOR PEOPLE) AT LEAST SOMEONE NOTICES THEM WHILE WE ALL LOOK AWAY INSIDE OUR JEEPS. I'VE NEVER BEEN AGAINST FASHOLA BUT IF HE ALLOWS THIS WITHOUT HAVING OTHER REASONABLE AND EFFECTIVE PLANS FOR THESE PEOPLE THEN I'M SORRY, HE'S NOT ALL THAT! GOVERNMENT SHOULD PLEASE COME TO AN AGREEMENT WITH THESE ARCHITECTS FOR THE BENEFITS OF THE PEOPLE OR RELOCATE MAKOKO AND GIVE THE BETTER LIFE INSTEAD OF ALLOWING THE TO ROT IN THAT PLACE AND SPOIL THE WATER AND ENVIROMENT.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by deskossy(m): 12:45pm On May 06, 2013
Paentera: What suitable alternatives is the LASG providing for these water people of Makoko?
exactly,there shud be an alternative,cos a city lyk lag shud have a beautiful water ways
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by dederocs(m): 1:20pm On May 06, 2013
wesley80: Lagos To Demolish Ultra Modern Makoko Floating School

vanguardngr.com/2013/04/floating-school-for-makoko-slum-residents/floating-house/
It is illegal period.
Fashola adheres strictly to the rule of law,and that is how a state works...Lagos is not run via lawlessness.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by dederocs(m): 1:24pm On May 06, 2013
would you like your kid to study in that basket?
there are enough schools in Lagos,any serious parent would not rear a child in the river.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by dederocs(m): 1:32pm On May 06, 2013
wesley80:
Oh come on! What rules are we talking about in a city with one of the most expensive real estate in the world where thousands still have no choice but to live on shacks built on lagoons and drinking from same water they poo on? What rule permits the existence of that kind of inequality?
Someone steps in the gap trying to do what the govt. ought to be doing and its termed illegal simply because Fashola is trying to build a city that PRETENDS not to have a poor populace and you think you can justify it? Come on now!
must they stay in lagos?
go blame your criminal governors making you abandon your states-you should be ashamed that you could not fight for your state,now here in Lagos in another man state trying to prove a point.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Rossikk(m): 1:32pm On May 06, 2013
Demolish the entire Makoko and send everyone back to their villages to farm. Or back to Togo where I hear many of them are from. That's MY solution. EVERY single structure in that place is an illegal structure that would never be tolerated by any modern nation, including those trying to lecture Lagos on how to approach the issue.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Onegai(f): 2:10pm On May 06, 2013
Rossikk: Demolish the entire Makoko and send everyone back to their villages to farm. Or back to Togo where I hear many of them are from. That's MY solution. EVERY single structure in that place is an illegal structure that would never be tolerated by any modern nation, including those trying to lecture Lagos on how to approach the issue.

Thank you for this. As we ship them off to their villages, where they cannot afford to support themselves or their families, some in dejection turn to worshipping false prohets, others turn to prostitution, a lot of them, utterly demoralized, listen to some madman who blames a westernised living for the fact that Community is no longer scared in our culture, no-one takes care of them or cares and they should form a terrorist organisation to gain their self-respect back at the expense of our lives. Now, where have I heard this before...

Oh right. The Northern Nigeria

You couldn't tell I was being sarcastic, right?

The only way to keep yourself safe is for your neighbour to be safe. Fashola is doing what Mayor Bloomberg did for NY (gentrification by force), and the poor are suffering. He's too busy ensuring he's pandering to the wealthy and creating new criminals, when he should be looking for ways to employ them and give them low-income housing. Go see the countries with low-crime rate, there's high employment even if the cost of living isn't high. But yeah, poor people aren't human to us church-loving people, amirite??

Again, that was sarcasm.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Onegai(f): 2:14pm On May 06, 2013
I've worked in Lagos state government. Trust me, Fashola's expenditure goes towards keeping Lekki, VI and Ikoyi happy. And those areas are the places we would struggle to collect state taxes and bills from. Western Avenue in Surulere is flooded in lights, adjacent Akerele street is in utter darkness. Fashola, the king of eye-service and white-washing. SMH.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by popoyeh(m): 3:06pm On May 06, 2013
I applauded the project as innovative when I first saw it and I still feel the same way. However, in hindsight; seeing the village idea shown by @Tushbobo"s photos, I ask.... Will the village be able to withstand a tsunami or other natural disasters that might be from the ocean??
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Bobajo(m): 6:13pm On May 06, 2013
Something is not adding up here. I know the architect personally. He's world class and has worked all over the world - and i mean all over the world. I was in the know when he started pushing this concept and i know for a fact that he interfaced with the Lagos State Government on the project, and he had LASG go ahead. How did the project now suddenly become illegal.

Something just does not add up.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by ekoileee: 6:40pm On May 06, 2013
Many past administrations sat on their hands and looked the other way while people build all over the place and turn the state into a sorry jungle and uncontrollable mess.

Good to see the great state of Lagos upholding it laws and checking illegal acts and unsanctioned developments..

Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Rossikk(m): 6:46pm On May 06, 2013
Onegai:

Thank you for this. As we ship them off to their villages, where they cannot afford to support themselves or their families

Why not? Are the farms dead? How is farming worse than what they're going through there? In their villages they have homes. A well built hut in the village is a lot more liveable, comfortable, dignified and hygenic than a shack built of nylon and cardboard hanging over a lagoon.

The only way to keep yourself safe is for your neighbour to be safe. Fashola is doing what Mayor Bloomberg did for NY (gentrification by force), and the poor are suffering. He's too busy ensuring he's pandering to the wealthy and creating new criminals, when he should be looking for ways to employ them and give them low-income housing. Go see the countries with low-crime rate, there's high employment even if the cost of living isn't high. But yeah, poor people aren't human to us church-loving people, amirite??

Again, that was sarcasm.

Excuse me. I'm sorry but not everyone can wake up and say they want to move to Lagos. If you can't afford it, stay back in your village or move to a nearby town that's cheaper. It Is GREED and NAKE.D DISREGARD FOR THE LAW AND FOR DECENCY that makes people leave wherever they are to go and live in Makoko.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by wesley80(m): 6:58pm On May 06, 2013
Rossikk:

Why not? Are the farms dead? How is farming worse than what they're going through there? In their villages they have homes. A well built hut in the village is a lot more liveable, comfortable, dignified and hygenic than a shack built of nylon and cardboard hanging over a lagoon.

Excuse me. I'm sorry but not everyone can wake up and say they want to move to Lagos. If you can't afford it, stay back in your village or move to a nearby town that's cheaper. It Is GREED and NAKE.D DISREGARD FOR THE LAW AND FOR DECENCY that makes people leave wherever they are to go and live in Makoko.

Coming from someone that journeyed to the States washing dishes and preparing corpses for burial, I have to say your hypocrisy stinks. Why did'nt you stay behind in Naija to farm and be productive? Why did you "check out" to stay in the frigid north despite the odds? Ok that was an analogy.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by Kairoseki77: 8:15pm On May 06, 2013
Onegai:

Thank you for this. As we ship them off to their villages, where they cannot afford to support themselves or their families, some in dejection turn to worshipping false prohets, others turn to prostitution, a lot of them, utterly demoralized, listen to some madman who blames a westernised living for the fact that Community is no longer scared in our culture, no-one takes care of them or cares and they should form a terrorist organisation to gain their self-respect back at the expense of our lives. Now, where have I heard this before...

Oh right. The Northern Nigeria

You couldn't tell I was being sarcastic, right?

Again, that was sarcasm.

I don't know what Rossike is talking about, but it's not about 'going back to their village'.

I see it as a health and safety matter.

Polluting the lagoon isn't good for anybody, least of all the people that live there. They will get diseases, spread diseases, invite vermin and pests, and I cannot imagine the level of fungus and mold they have to deal with living right on top of the water. That mold and fungus has to be bad for your lungs.

For adults, maybe that would be ok. They decided to move there illegally, so they should be prepared for the consequences to their health. Children are a different story though. It would be inhumane to turn a blind eye to children living in those conditions. Children that have no choice but to live there, because their parents are desperate, or selfish.

Let's not forget, everyone in Lagos that uses that water is affected (both the poor and the rich). When the fish in the lagoon live on a diet of human waste, what happens to the poor and rich that eat those fish? When the water is polluted beyond belief, what happens when we drink it? What happens when the dirty water breeds contagious diseases and the poor, and the rich, get sick? What about those who get sick and die?

Then, there is the safety aspect. Inevitably, the area is going to flood. That's what happens in Lagos. Are these people going to be safe, or are we going to be fishing their bodies out of the water for a month after the flood? Are the surviving family members not going to blame the LASG for 'not protecting them'? What about the children who drown there regularly? Should they be left to die?

Manhattan doesn't have any of those problems. The poor live in apartments in NYC, not in huts over the Hudson river. Health treatment is widely available. The only problem in those communities is that the police attack the poor instead of attacking the criminals. If drugs went away, and jobs were found for the people there, everything would be fine. Bloomberg is a billionaire, and is selfish. Totally different thing.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 8:26pm On May 06, 2013
I probably have to copy my post from the other thread and post it here.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 8:27pm On May 06, 2013
In fact, I have a lot of replies for the other thread. I'll probably have to post them here when I'm done.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 8:31pm On May 06, 2013
naptu2: Once again, it's not about rich vs poor. My best friend owns a salon on Victoria Island. She is certainly not poor. One day government officials came and gave her a notice that she must knock down her wall and part of her building. Why? Because the law says that you cannot build within a certain distance from the canal. Government officials later came to knock down her wall and part of her building.

There's a saying "you can't use your reggae to disturb my blues". You can't say that, because you want to build a home for yourself, you should block the storm drains and expose me to flooding. The government will not allow you to do that.

So, what impact does Makoko have on flooding in Onike, Akoka, Iwaya, Somolu, etc?

Also note that it's not the entire Makoko that's being demolished (Makoko has existed for a long time). What's being demolished is the Makoko Extension, which is a more recent development.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 8:32pm On May 06, 2013
[size=14pt]Fashola explains current government intervention in Makoko[/size]

Tuesday, 24 July 2012 09:18 Agency Reports

Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola, on Monday explained why his administration has to intervene in the Makoko fishing community in Lagos Mainland, saying it had become necessary to halt the continuous expansion of the community into the lagoon with its negative impact on the environment.

Addressing scores of Makoko residents who came to the Lagos House, Ikeja to appeal for a reconsideration of the decision to demolish parts of the fishing community, Governor Fashola explained that while the state government was finding a solution for residents within the recognised boundaries, it would not allow further expansion of the community.

Fashola said sequel to several meetings with leaders of the community and an agreed boundary set, the state government had been working in the area to find solution to the difficulties which the indigenous residents encounter by way of providing basic infrastructure and amenities to uplift the standard of life of the people who, according to him, have been there for a long time.

Continuing, the governor explained that rather than maintain the established boundary, what had happened over the years was a rash of illegal shanties which expanded towards the Third Mainland Bridge and underneath the high tension electricity cables across the area.

Expressing the readiness of his administration to meet with genuine representatives of the community, Fashola advised them to be wary of people who are profiting from their difficult situation. He also advised the community to resist being used by people who want to take advantage of them, adding that some people were already collecting grants from the outside world under the guise of helping them.

The governor noted that piling saw dust on the lagoon, discharging wastes in it and blocking the discharge points for storm water had contributed to the flooding in places like Bariga, Shomolu, Ebute-Metta, Ogudu, Owode, Ajegunle and Ikorodu, among others.
“The truth must be told; some people are benefiting from your difficulty and that is the truth. They are taking advantage of you in the guise of being your friends.

They are taking all sorts of grants purporting to help you but it never gets to you. But as your government, we understand the challenges you face there and we are working to solve them”, the governor said.

According to the governor, who said the primary concern of his administration is to uplift the standard of living of the indigenous members of the community which has existed for over 60 years. “Now, as we are finding solution to the boundaries we recognise, we will not allow further expansion”.

“We owe you a duty, but we also owe the greater part of Lagos a duty. That lagoon is the only lagoon where we drain water during rainy season from Akoka, Bariga, Shomolu, Oworonsoki and from Macgregor Canal. The lagoon is shrinking because they are expanding and building into it; it has to stop”, the governor said.

Fashola said the way forward was for the leaders of the community to team up and meet the state government to find a lasting solution to the problem, adding that he is currently working with people within and outside the country to find a way to expose the community as part of the culture of Lagos where the indigenous people could live in a clean environment with clean drinking water and other basic amenities while they also engage in their fishing occupation.

He said the doors of the government were open at all times and that he would welcome such a team as appointed by the community to find lasting solution to the problem, adding that the community’s peaceful approach would lead to much more progress.

Governor Fashola explained that the state government has no problem with those living within the recognised boundaries, adding, “We are working to provide water, schools, libraries and so on for you. But those who have just come must leave. That is the reality”.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/41677-fashola-explains-current-government-intervention-in-makoko
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by naptu2: 8:32pm On May 06, 2013
naptu2: Also note that, under federal regulations, it is illegal to build structures under high tension cables.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Makoko Floating School by IOMN(f): 2:49am On May 08, 2013
naptu2:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/41677-fashola-explains-current-government-intervention-in-makoko

Not in a single statement did he mention the creation of AFFORDABLE housing and AFFORDABLE communities. If people from Makoko village were offered a viable alternative to living on the water, most would take it and then it would not be seen as a move for the mass eviction of people from the area. There are plenty of people from fishing villages all around the world that do not actually live on the water. Also, Fashola is attempting to just be strategic and keep tensions low amongst the people in Makoko, which is why he was so careful with his words. It's an attack on the poor. There are scores of community development professionals teaming to create viable and sustainable solutions to Nigeria's social problems, which include initiatives geared towards poorer people, but let's face it, the poor is not his focus. He is only preoccupied with displacing these people because that is the easiest and most immediate thing he can do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pres. Jonathan Wants You To Remember These 7 Things… As You Celebrate Christmas / P&ID $9bn Judgement Debt: P&ID Gas Contract Was Not Approved, Says Aondooakaa / PDP Members Inspect Venue Of PDP Presidential Campaign In Nasarawa (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.