Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,246 members, 7,829,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? - Jobs/Vacancies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? (54540 Views)

Job Seekers: What Course Did U Study? / What Course Did You Study / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by laykhorn(m): 10:18pm On May 01, 2013
bettymafy: List of courses i wouldn't advise anyone willing to work in Nigeria to study. This is not because of their relevance, but because of their employability. Most graduate of these courses regret studying them because of the ordeal they went/go through in the labour market.

Veterinary medicine

Zoology

Botany

Biology

Microbiology

Physiology

Anatomy

Physical and health education

Adult education

Fishery

Crop science

Soil science

Psychology

Sociology and anthropology

History

Biochemistry

Political science

Business admin

International relations and diplomacy

Languages (foreign and local)

Law

Christian religious studies

Horticulture

Environmental science and
toxicology

Geography and regional planning

Urban development

Agric engineering

Mass communication

Theater arts

Music

more to come. . .
I do not think any right thinking person would list this shi.t... Reason well before hitting your keyboard but again I could be quoting a Secondary School kid

5 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by gbosah(m): 10:19pm On May 01, 2013
What about chemistry is it a good course
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by laykhorn(m): 10:19pm On May 01, 2013
bettymafy: List of courses i wouldn't advise anyone willing to work in Nigeria to study. This is not because of their relevance, but because of their employability. Most graduate of these courses regret studying them because of the ordeal they went/go through in the labour market.

Veterinary medicine

Zoology

Botany

Biology

Microbiology

Physiology

Anatomy

Adult education

Fishery

Crop science

Soil science

Psychology

History

Biochemistry

Political science

Business admin

Law

Horticulture

toxicology

Urban development

Agric engineering

Mass communication

Theater arts

Music

more to come. . .
I do not think any right thinking person would list this shi.t... Reason well before hitting your keyboard but again I could be quoting a Secondary School kid

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by salisy: 10:20pm On May 01, 2013
Agric Economics and Extension
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by laykhorn(m): 10:21pm On May 01, 2013

Veterinary medicine

Zoology

Botany

Biology

Microbiology

Physiology

Anatomy

Adult education

Fishery

Crop science

Soil science

Psychology

History

Biochemistry

Political science

Business admin

Law

Horticulture

toxicology

Urban development

Agric engineering

Mass communication

Theater arts

Music

more to come. . .
I do not think any right thinking person would list the above as shi.t... Reason well before hitting your keyboard but then I could be quoting a Secondary School kid
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 01, 2013
Seed and seeding science n phycology
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by esperiense(m): 10:25pm On May 01, 2013
Abeg! With d situation of things in Nigeria, yo course has little or no influence. Go to KFC or Tantalisers, you will see Archaeologists,Psychologists ,etc fryin chicken. Engineers now work in Bank, bankers work on the farm and Farmers become Ministers. Shebi our president is a Zooite or she na Zoologist
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Mgbadike80: 10:25pm On May 01, 2013
laykhorn:
the list is very sensible, i did not write but i don't question it. That u studied any of them and end up as a bank staff is just a result of plain luck/connection beside ur job wont be safe, but my guy that studied comp sc and work as a sys admin in a bank got his cos of what he studied, earns more, have a more secure job and a less stressfull life free from chasing targets.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by cl9700: 10:27pm On May 01, 2013
It'a appalling that in these days and time some people still think certain courses are useless. I must say no course of study is useless if the student is ready to really study very well, specialize in what he or she studied and make a career out of it.

I think most of those talking about how useless some courses are are oblivious of the fact that banks employ graduates from whatever discipline be it French Education.
There are many agencies -both governmental and private which have their area of concentration on some of these so called 'useless' courses like Fisheries, History & Anthropology (Museums), Nigerian Languages e.t.c

Also, there are huge careers in the education sector for each and every one of these 'useless' courses.

To conclude, people should go ahead to study whatever they have a passion for, that brings about diversification of the economy. What ever it be that you are skilled in and work hard on will bring you the sort of satisfaction you need.

**What if everyone studies Information Technology, who grows the crops?
Who surveys the land that these 'IT' masts and installations will be installed on?
Who preserves the culture of the people?
...the list goes on!

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by mencer(m): 10:30pm On May 01, 2013
ItsModella: Philosophy
History
Fishery
Zoology (how someone could go ahead to get a PhD in this field is beyond me)
Forestry

angry angry angry angry angry
You are making a very very terrible mistake

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by topmostg: 10:40pm On May 01, 2013
Apart from teaching, can someone tell me where a maths grad can work?

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Bamijoko1(m): 10:40pm On May 01, 2013
austinemar: doin justis to dis topic i must coment. Anthropology(study of insect)for sure will not sell in dis country, fact! Pls i need more examples coz we wil be helpin someone out there
anthropology is not a study of insect, u can do better and describe it as the study of culture it's a good afterall.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Mgbadike80: 10:47pm On May 01, 2013
topmostg: Apart from teaching, can someone tell me where a maths grad can work?
in nigeria, i can't think or seen any other place apart from teaching. Yet i advice u to study it, a friend of mine did and is now living fine in d usa where she went for her masters degree. She made 2.1 from UNN

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by chiclasweet: 10:47pm On May 01, 2013
now dont cuss me!
Banking and finance. seriously in naija,you dont ve to spend 4 years in an institution to work in banking and finance industry,and those of us that did,are still job hunting,smh
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Sweetlemon(f): 10:53pm On May 01, 2013
topmostg: Apart from teaching, can someone tell me where a maths grad can work?
Almost anywhere. As long the connections dey. That's just the brutal truth of the situation of things in the country presently.
However, having a 2.1 or 1st class and/or backing up the course with a professional degree or masters will help in the absence of little or no connections.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by pjosh1(m): 10:57pm On May 01, 2013
NOBODY MENTIONED COMPUTER SCIENCE undecidedNOBODY MENTIONED COMPUTER SCIENCE
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by adewasco2k(m): 11:08pm On May 01, 2013
salisy: Agric Economics and Extension

are you okay

From an Agricultural Economist and Extension Officer
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ekiyor3: 11:15pm On May 01, 2013
nairaman66: My best bet would be- Zoology!! It can make someone crazy and irrational.. We all have a case in point.. I didn't say anything.., I didn't call GEJ's name ooO!! grin
na God go punish u, 4 insulting Nigeria president. Amen.

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by StepG: 11:21pm On May 01, 2013
ItsModella: Philosophy
History
Fishery
Zoology (how someone could go ahead to get a PhD in this field is beyond me)
Forestry

angry angry angry angry angry
yet he became ur president.is not just about the coarse,as the coarse cannot guarantee ur future is ur belief n effort that matters most.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ayoolar011(m): 11:58pm On May 01, 2013
history is life.... A resourceful lecturer once said to me A student of History is trained to perform exceptionally well, where ever they fined themselves cos the study of history en-tales deep and constructive reasoning.
To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by OluwaD1: 12:08am On May 02, 2013
smileyI love reading treads on N/l; But I have to say the level of thinking of most or should I say some people on this forum is embarrasing.
Personally I believe that all courses are relivant and important, most people are doing one course or another without knowing the importance of the course, just call some people even a graduate to tell you about what they studied or studying, you wouldn't believe their relpy.Our educational system needs help.

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by caukerzee(m): 12:10am On May 02, 2013
Great pansite!!!!
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by caukerzee(m): 12:19am On May 02, 2013
[quote author=i-smoke-weed]

didnt GEJ study fishery?[/quo[s][/s]te] you just jump onto the bandwagon of GEJ haters without having no personal reason fo
r the hate. I'm sure its fro[code][/code]m your act of bandwagoning that you heard the president studied fishery. get a life
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by jhidey08(m): 12:45am On May 02, 2013
d best course 2 study nw is physical and health education. D tin make sense die. Dat's my course anyway, my passion is my profession.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 12:56am On May 02, 2013
austinemar: doin justis to dis topic i must coment. Anthropology(study of insect)for sure will not sell in dis country, fact! Pls i need more examples coz we wil be helpin someone out there
Anthropology is the study of origin of mankind, while entomology is the study of insects(ant)

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ocheejemb: 1:05am On May 02, 2013
p.josh:
NOBODY MENTIONED COMPUTER SCIENCE undecidedNOBODY MENTIONED COMPUTER SCIENCE

in 2013, you type something stupid on a computer on a website on the Internet and open your mouth to call Comp Sci /

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ControG(m): 1:09am On May 02, 2013

Anthropology d study of insec;guy u fall ur hand
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 2:24am On May 02, 2013
Oh please!!! You people should stop with this "The President of Nigeria studied Zoology" balderbash! Is the white house meant for a certain grad of a certain course? We are talking about people graduating and working in the fields they graduated from.

We are not saying these courses are useless, we are saying they are not well sought after in Nigeria. I'm also looking at it from the aspect of employment in these fields. How many times have u seen job adverts requesting for people that studied these courses? Most of these people end up working in sectors very different from their feilds and that begs the question, why study one course and end up not making a career out of it if the course is so "good"?

When one studies these courses, u put yourself at a disadvantage already, cos you end up hustling for jobs in other sectors with people who are gurus in those sectors! What chance do u stand?

Kid yourself all you want, but these courses are not lucrative in Nigeria, period!

3 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 2:30am On May 02, 2013
laykhorn:
I do not think any right thinking person would list the above as shi.t... Reason well before hitting your keyboard but then I could be quoting a Secondary School kid

What did u study and where are you working?
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 2:30am On May 02, 2013

Veterinary medicine

Zoology

Botany

Biology

Microbiology

Physiology

Anatomy

Adult education

Fishery

Crop science

Soil science

Psychology

History

Biochemistry

Political science

Business admin

Law

Horticulture

toxicology

Urban development

Agric engineering

Mass communication

Theater arts

Music

more to come. . .
madam this list is very tight and beautiful...i rily appreciate, this is a painfull and sad truth....anyone who doesn,t agree is probably partly responsible for this dillema....such people should launch themselves from zuma rock.....well its a pity the society we live in is to blame, theres alot of segration and discrimination in the private and public sectors right now.....some courses are been largely outrightly discriminated against in the labour market, all courses are important, and if they are allowed to prosper and given equal opportunity, the society would have benefitted immensely...naija seriously needs deliverance.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 2:35am On May 02, 2013
rezzy:

@ d bolded, i have a friend that studied that course and did IGSCE and just had a masters. My dear, he is earning good pay working as a secondary school teacher. Infact, he left his former school where he taught A- Level students to a secondary school because of the pay. Only private lesson is close to 50k. He so much believe in upgrading oneself.

Is he working as a Biochemist? Your arguement doesn't hold water. Any graduate of any course can be a teacher!
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 2:35am On May 02, 2013
bettymafy: Oh please!!! You people should stop with this "The President of Nigeria studied Zoology" balderbash! Is the white house meant for a certain grad of a certain course? We are talking about people graduating and working in the fields they graduated from.

We are not saying these courses are useless, we are saying they are not well sought after in Nigeria. I'm also looking at it from the aspect of employment in these fields. How many times have u seen job adverts requesting for people that studied these courses? Most of these people end up working in sectors very different from their feilds and that begs the question, why study one course and end up not making a career out of it if the course is so "good"?

When one studies these courses, u put yourself at a disadvantage already, cos you end up hustling for jobs in other sectors with people who are gurus in those sectors! What chance do u stand?

Kid yourself all you want, but these courses are not lucrative in Nigeria, period!
aunty thank you, 1000000 likes...those folks reason like lizards, dont mind them jare.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Most Difficult Age For Most Nigerian Men / Career Websites In Nigeria: From Banks To Oil To Recruitment To Govt Etc. / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.