Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide (19199 Views)

First Bank Laid Off Their Staff / Top List Of Worst Companies That Use And Dump Their Staff In Lagos / Which Company In Nigeria Treat Their Staff Badly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by shifav: 7:23am On May 02, 2013
The sack takes effect from today May 1st.

The Stanbic IBTC sack yesterday crossed across all levels, from management to lower level staff and according to reports, this is just the first batch. The bank is planning to do another round later this year.

The sack at Stanbic yesterday only affected full staff employees as the bank intends to make its workforce 20% permanent staff and 80% contract staff.

The total workforce before the sack yesterday was about 3000. The sad part is there are so many fresh graduates in the job market…and no jobs!

Read more http://jetheights.com/breaking-visafone-sacks-60-workers-stanbic-ibtc-sacks-250-yesterday.html
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by kevoh(m): 7:47am On May 02, 2013
200 people with 4 dependants (Wife,2 kids and 1 younger relative) for example that makes 800 people who are going to be affected.

I pray the sacked staff get new and better jobs because being unemployed 'no be child's play'.

9 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 8:29am On May 02, 2013
Today recruitment on frontpage

Tomorrow is firing same on frontpage

One can hardly portray d true picture of labour statistics in dis country

Smh

5 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by oddy4real(m): 7:21pm On May 02, 2013
so should be blame GEJ/PDP as usual?

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by AjanleKoko: 12:48pm On May 03, 2013
Pity about that. But I am sure the bank was probably top-heavy anyway. That's the problem with most of the corporates in Nigeria, they hire beyond what they really need, due to internal lobbying. In these days of rampant outsourcing, people need to be a lot more creative.

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by AK481(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2013
Let them leave to europe,maybe,just maybe.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Mintus(m): 12:28pm On May 05, 2013
naija i hail dem die
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by dridowu: 12:29pm On May 05, 2013
Self employed on my mind, tired of in today , out tomorow

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by efosanice: 12:29pm On May 05, 2013
before taking up any job in NIGERIA, especially in the bank, you need to ask yourself so many questions like how secure the job is going to be, when would the take off time be and what are your life long goals.

Here is a list of questions you should ask yourself when taking up a job.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/job-offer-questions-to-ask-yourself.html
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 05, 2013
I only hope these employees have plans for rainy days.

It's definitely nobody's fault as we don't expect the banks to make losses or keep staffs that cannot be paid when due .

Nairalanders , make una save oh! Don't wait till you get a raise or till your responsibilities reduce , because responsibilities don't stop , and your next letter may be a sack!

Spend every salary like it's your last!

10 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by rozayx5(m): 12:31pm On May 05, 2013
after getting a degree some people think they are safe, my biggest advice to you out there is that if your employed you better keep a percentage of your salary for unforeseen circumstances and future investments , and get financial education, while being an employee, cause that will save you on a rainy day cool
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 05, 2013
Nah so...

Make dem come join our hustle...

Its high time i open a consultancy firm for the unemployed and disengaged workers...

5 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 05, 2013
efosanice: before taking up any job in NIGERIA, especially in the bank, you need to ask yourself so many questions like how secure the job is going to be, when would the take off time be and what are your life long goals.

Here is a list of questions you should ask yourself when taking up a job.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/job-offer-questions-to-ask-yourself.html

okay.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:34pm On May 05, 2013
The end of a job is not the end of one's life. The sacked workers should not give up but strive ahead.
AK 48: Let them leave to europe,maybe,just maybe.
Do you think people just jump into Europe or any oversea Country.
Do you have accomodation or ready available jobs for them.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by dahdah: 12:35pm On May 05, 2013
EYAH
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by legendarysegzi(m): 12:35pm On May 05, 2013
they should all go and get their cutlass and hoes ready...*farming on point* i think that is our default occupation that weve left to suffer. grin
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by iamlukky(m): 12:36pm On May 05, 2013
But Why ?
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by funmyseun: 12:36pm On May 05, 2013
To the affected staff, pls take heart. This is not the end of the road for you, there are better places for you out there. Keep the hope alive.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 05, 2013
rozayx5: after getting a degree some people think they are safe, my biggest advice to you out there is that if your employed you better keep a percentage of your salary for unforeseen circumstances and future investments , and get financial education, while being an employee, cause that will save you on a rainy day cool

Financial education or not, you learn street wisdom by being pushed out to the streets.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Shakara123(m): 12:38pm On May 05, 2013
In banking, elephants can fly. As far as one thrives towards excellence daily, it is advisable to always have savings and a good contigency plan.
I pray those affected get even better offers soon.
It is well.

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by ocelot2006(m): 12:38pm On May 05, 2013
This is why entrepreneurship beats paid emplyment anytime.

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Osama10(m): 12:43pm On May 05, 2013
So they want more of casualization, what hope is there for future generations to come.

I weep each day for this country.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by amber222(f): 12:44pm On May 05, 2013
nedu213: Today recruitment on frontpage

Tomorrow is firing same on frontpage

One can hardly portray d true picture of labour statistics in dis country

Smh
nothing like self-employ.Atleast u wn't be scared dt u'l gt fired d nxt day
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by zinosleek(m): 12:44pm On May 05, 2013
Job insecurity, its a worldwide problem, not only in Nigeria. Imagine the palava for someone affected that has wife and children depending on him. Those with no work be thinking how to make ends meet, those with work are afraid of WHEN they are going to be dropped. No peace of mind in this country.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by gen2briz(m): 12:45pm On May 05, 2013
GEJ again, abi wetin cause am
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by lanreonida: 12:47pm On May 05, 2013
ogaooo
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:49pm On May 05, 2013
Congrats. Now, use ur head and stop cryin and tryin to be salaried!

Start a life!

Oh, i fogot. U are bankers! U already wasted ur life savings on loans while trying hard to service the luxuries that kept up ur fake lives!

3 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by amber222(f): 12:54pm On May 05, 2013
Imanuelle: I only hope these employees have plans for rainy days.

It's definitely nobody's fault as we don't expect the banks to make losses or keep staffs that cannot be paid when due .

Nairalanders , make una save oh! Don't wait till you get a raise or till your responsibilities reduce , because responsibilities don't stop , and your next letter may be a sack!

Spend every salary like it's your last!
save 4 raining day ke?They don't.They're d ones renting an aprtment at lekki,ikj,v.i & all those executives places 4 millions of naira.They go 2 shows paying millions 4 VVIP.Drive very expensive cars.they spend foolishly & later complain dt the bank didn't compensate them.

5 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by eagleeye2: 12:56pm On May 05, 2013
My professor in school once said, and I quote "You cannot go hungry if you truely passed through the four walls of a University and the school equally passes through you".

Why can't the youths think towards entrepreneurship? Ideas rule the world, but I think that Nigerians have poverty of Ideas.
Before someone starts talking about scarcity of Capital, understand that "there is dignity in Labour" and no job is too demeaning for you to start your hussle in life. The only thing that matters is that you never lose sight of your ideas and goals.

4 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by elewedu(m): 12:57pm On May 05, 2013
rozayx5: after getting a degree some people think they are safe, my biggest advice to you out there is that if your employed you better keep a percentage of your salary for unforeseen circumstances and future investments , and get financial education, while being an employee, cause that will save you on a rainy day cool
Oga rosay pls tell them. The problem is that lots of employee live from months to months, and as such they hardly have much to save, plus the fact working is so time consuming that most employee would hardly have time to garner investment eduction. Most people would rather run after a masters degree that will still put them at the mercy of paid employers. I am guilty of this too, that is why am struggling so hard to get knowledge that will put food on my table for the rest of my life.....though it is tough rozay considering my work schedule, you will still find me lurking arround your research room and the FTA thread, am sure soon it is goin to pay off.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Legalplayerz: 12:59pm On May 05, 2013
This is sad... But we all must also remember that it's not that easy to be an entrepreneur too, because the business can also fail. This life is just not fair at all. I'm sure with God will provide for them all.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria. / Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.