Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide (19196 Views)

First Bank Laid Off Their Staff / Top List Of Worst Companies That Use And Dump Their Staff In Lagos / Which Company In Nigeria Treat Their Staff Badly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by miqos02(m): 1:00pm On May 05, 2013
mr atedo peterside with all your connections to abuja, you still sack people. i hear you are eyeing the cbn gov's seat.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by slyk2(m): 1:00pm On May 05, 2013
ocelot2006: This is why entrepreneurship beats paid emplyment anytime.

Job creation by ourselves is the answer.
You have job security only when you own your biz!
You can also transfer it to your children without considering any body.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by eagleeye2: 1:07pm On May 05, 2013
Legalplayerz: This is sad... But we all must also remember that it's not that easy to be an entrepreneur too, because the business can also fail. This life is just not fair at all. I'm sure with God will provide for them all.

Brother the fear of failure should not be a barrier to your ideas and goals. Infact you should welcome failure in business because with each failure it will teach you to learn from your mistakes and try not to fall into the same mistake again.
Which is better, starting a business at young age and failing 5 or more times before succeeding, or starting a business after you must have retired and failing once or twice.

3 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by eagleeye2: 1:10pm On May 05, 2013
sly-k:

Job creation by ourselves is the answer.
You have job security only when you own your biz!
You can also transfer it to your children without considering any body.

Enterpreneurship is not about Job Security, it is about creation of Job for you and for others.
It is about taking responsibility of your financial future. It is about success amidst several failures.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by ChristyIsaac: 1:17pm On May 05, 2013
God help nigerians oh, cos d rate of unemployment is increasing everyday.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Legalplayerz: 1:20pm On May 05, 2013
eagle,eye:

Brother the fear of failure should not be a barrier to your ideas and goals. Infact you should welcome failure in business because with each failure it will teach you to learn from your mistakes and try not to fall into the same mistake again.
Which is better, starting a business at young age and failing 5 or more times before succeeding, or starting a business after you must have retired and failing once or twice.

Yes I agree, we must not be scared of failure. But people need to work for some years before they can be able to raise capital to start a business. It's not easy to secure loans in Nigeria. Most entrepreneurs that I know once worked full time for someone else before they started their own thing. People need job security for some time before going into business, but unfortunately that is a big problem n Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 05, 2013
My very good boss was affected.but thank God for plan B.how many backers get plan for tomorrow.I pity for some bankers who are living large
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by HARDEYLEKE(m): 1:36pm On May 05, 2013
LIFE GOES ON!!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by otokx(m): 1:45pm On May 05, 2013
Its part of capitalism.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by j4jj: 1:45pm On May 05, 2013
But I tot they were about to recruit some new staff recently! I doubt if this post is true cos Stanbic IBTC is not just an ordinary commercial bank its an investment bank so why will they sack a wholesome workforce of 3000 just in 1 batch... Haba! I'm nt sure if this is true!!!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by j4jj: 1:46pm On May 05, 2013
But I tot they were about to recruit some new staff recently! I doubt if this post is true cos Stanbic IBTC is not just an ordinary commercial bank its an investment bank so why will they sack a wholesome workforce of 3000 just in 1 batch! The OP never posted any reason! Is the bank been downsized or what... Haba! I'm nt sure if this is true!!! Bt if its true, then I pray they get a new job
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by bigx(m): 1:48pm On May 05, 2013
Someone should start a company supplying contract staff to these banks seriously... See money! 80% contract staff
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by eagleeye2: 1:58pm On May 05, 2013
Legalplayerz:

Yes I agree, we must not be scared of failure. But people need to work for some years before they can be able to raise capital to start a business. It's not easy to secure loans in Nigeria. Most entrepreneurs that I know once worked full time for someone else before they started their own thing. People need job security for some time before going into business, but unfortunately that is a big problem n Nigeria.

Being an enterprenuer, investor or employee is all about mindset. And don't forget that money is addictive. Once you start earning your living in any sector or section of the economy, it becomes hard to deviate from the pattern that you are used to.
Don't be surprised that most of those sacked from IBTC will dust up their CVs and go back into the labour seeking for paid employment again and the cycle continues.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Reference(m): 2:18pm On May 05, 2013
kevoh: 200 people with 4 dependants (Wife,2 kids and 1 younger relative) for example that makes 800 people who are going to be affected.

I pray the sacked staff get new and better jobs because being unemployed 'no be child's play'.

I do understand your plight but your tone is too negative. Spare a thought for the company. If it doing too well they won't be downsizing.

Well they can go ahead and get BETTER jobs but your well meaning prayers should be that they become employers of labour so they may see how easy it is.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by texazzpete(m): 2:43pm On May 05, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Congrats. Now, use ur head and stop cryin and tryin to be salaried!

Start a life!

Oh, i fogot. U are bankers! U already wasted ur life savings on loans while trying hard to service the luxuries that kept up ur fake lives!

I wish i could beat you over the head with a cudgel for this imbecilic outburst. Is it their fault a banker stole your girlfriend from you?

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by donephi(m): 2:47pm On May 05, 2013
Is well with this nation
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 05, 2013
Majority of them must be blaming GEJ for their sack and am sure they will come on NL to vomit their Anger..
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by kevoh(m): 3:07pm On May 05, 2013
Reference:

I do understand your plight but your tone is too negative. Spare a thought for the company. If it doing too well they won't be downsizing.

Well they can go ahead and get BETTER jobs but your well meaning prayers should be that they become employers of labour so they may see how easy it is.
My plight? Yes, the company is downsizing and some will be affected but how does that make it negative when I hope and pray they get new and better jobs? Or you just want to scream employer of labour for screaming sake?

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by supaeagles(m): 3:35pm On May 05, 2013
ocelot2006: This is why entrepreneurship beats paid emplyment anytime.
If everyone became an entrepreneur then there would be no employees for the entrepreneurs!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by ocelot2006(m): 3:49pm On May 05, 2013
eagle,eye:
My professor in school once said, and I quote "You cannot go hungry if you truely passed through the four walls of a University and the school equally passes through you".

Why can't the youths think towards entrepreneurship? Ideas rule the world, but I think that Nigerians have poverty of Ideas.
Before someone starts talking about scarcity of Capital, understand that "there is dignity in Labour" and no job is too demeaning for you to start your hussle in life. The only thing that matters is that you never lose sight of your ideas and goals.

Excellent post. Well said.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by buruike(f): 4:00pm On May 05, 2013
I m kind of confused with the bank right now.
They ve just recently finished recruitment process fr new
potential employees Infact they ve sent them for pre employment medical test and CBN check has been done for the new list of employees, yet old staff were laid off.
Really confusing !!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by DonaldGenes(m): 4:02pm On May 05, 2013
the senate should intervene here
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Policewoman(f): 4:06pm On May 05, 2013
shifav: The sack takes effect from today May 1st.

The Stanbic IBTC sack yesterday crossed across all levels, from management to lower level staff and according to reports, this is just the first batch. The bank is planning to do another round later this year.

The sack at Stanbic yesterday only affected full staff employees as the bank intends to make its workforce 20% permanent staff and 80% contract staff.

The total workforce before the sack yesterday was about 3000. The sad part is there are so many fresh graduates in the job market…and no jobs!

Read more http://jetheights.com/breaking-visafone-sacks-60-workers-stanbic-ibtc-sacks-250-yesterday.html
BANK WORK NO BE WORK. It is well with the sacked.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by MsSantaClaus(f): 4:47pm On May 05, 2013
Job insecurity is an issue world over, not just Nigeria. The problem with Nigeria is that there are no soft landings in place for people who loose their jobs. That is why it is imperative and a matter of urgency that anyone who has a job or is even a job seeker should explore multiple streams of income. Many people who are working in banks , oil companies etc become complacent once the job starts, they forget so quickly what it was like to be in need, therefore some are coasting on their job salary, benefits and deals which accrue from the job and don't have a "PLAN B", outside the scope of their main job.
In a country like Nigeria this is extremely dangerous! That is why you see grown men cry when this kind of en mass sack is announced. Some are even indebted to the bank due to one asset acquisition scheme or the other, guess what, when the job is terminated the bank collects its money you owe and pays you what is left of the severance package , even if its 10 naira, na u sabi!
Heartless you may think, but do you expect them to loose money? They are a business and they don't forget that, even if you do!

Enough said! He who has ears let him hear! But there will still be those caught in this pathetic trend of sacks, because there will be more to come!

START LOOKING FOR THAT PLAN B RIGHT NOW!

“My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.” - Charles Dickens

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by MsSantaClaus(f): 4:56pm On May 05, 2013
If your on this page and commenting, this concerns you! I'm planning an online meeting on network marketing as a "PLAN B" ! Not just to air your views ,but Real Time question and answer sessions on how to use NM to change lives and earn a decent living. Any and all suggestions on what the meeting should be about are welcome! I hope this will be the first of many, so I need to know what time would be convenient for most people , the meeting will last , at least an hour , so even the Nay Sayers and dream killers can have their say! If your interested and would like an invite pls send me a mail or drop your email address , for details and venue! It's online , but it still has a venue lets make it interesting. Lets make a move to create multiple streams of income!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Elizabethoni(f): 4:59pm On May 05, 2013
shifav: The sack takes effect from today May 1st.

The Stanbic IBTC sack yesterday crossed across all levels, from management to lower level staff and according to reports, this is just the first batch. The bank is planning to do another round later this year.

The sack at Stanbic yesterday only affected full staff employees as the bank intends to make its workforce 20% permanent staff and 80% contract staff.

The total workforce before the sack yesterday was about 3000. The sad part is there are so many fresh graduates in the job market…and no jobs!

Read more http://jetheights.com/breaking-visafone-sacks-60-workers-stanbic-ibtc-sacks-250-yesterday.html

SAD SAD SAD!!! Imagine 20% permanent staff,80% contract staff? Hmmm..biko somebody should help me look for a guy that wanted to know if he shld opt for free masters in the US by his uncle or join diamond bank....tell him to pull his ears and go oooo...If you're reading this,no say I no tell u oooooooooo
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by livapul86(m): 5:21pm On May 05, 2013
buruike: I m kind of confused with the bank right now.
They ve just recently finished recruitment process fr new
potential employees Infact they ve sent them for pre employment medical test and CBN check has been done for the new list of employees, yet old staff were laid off.
Really confusing !!
Sir, it shouldn't confuse you. The new ones coming in are coming as Contract staff. Unfortunately, thats the trend in the banking industry now.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by dammytosh: 5:47pm On May 05, 2013
What if they sacked Under Performing staffs ?

Some Bank workers will get a sack letter from me directly if i have the power to do so. The complacency and attitude to work is appalling.

Some treat customers as if they are nobody.

As far as i know, banks are performance driven. If those sacked are selected with due process and not sentiment then no point being sentimental. Banks are out there to make profit, and meet targets given by the board.

We all scream self employed and job creation. If you have your company and the books are not ok, Leave under performing / non performing staff on emotional ground and see if you will not have to dust your resume again to search for job.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by AjanleKoko: 5:55pm On May 05, 2013
Trust they paid some severance. If they did, it's not too bad. Some companies sack, and kick you to the kerb with nothing.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:25pm On May 05, 2013
Learn how 2 hammar in garri sellin biz here. Pm me 4 more details
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by kalufelix(m): 7:00pm On May 05, 2013
when sunshine turns to rain philixino will say it is well even in the well...BELIEVE
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Tinyemeka(m): 8:19pm On May 05, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Congrats. Now, use ur head and stop cryin and tryin to be salaried!

Start a life!

Oh, i fogot. U are bankers! U already wasted ur life savings on loans while trying hard to service the luxuries that kept up ur fake lives!

Clap for yourself. Smartie!
SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria. / Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.