Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide (19195 Views)

First Bank Laid Off Their Staff / Top List Of Worst Companies That Use And Dump Their Staff In Lagos / Which Company In Nigeria Treat Their Staff Badly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Picomon(m): 8:54pm On May 05, 2013
supaeagles:
If everyone became an entrepreneur then there would be no employees for the entrepreneurs!

Haha.. The fact is, not everyone will become an entrepreneur! Many will be told, few will listen and a few folks will take action.

Just like when Jesus came to the world to preach to people, how many folks follow and live by his words? Not everyone.

That's how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by buruike(f): 9:10pm On May 05, 2013
livapul86:
Sir, it shouldn't confuse you. The new ones coming in are coming as Contract staff. Unfortunately, thats the trend in the banking industry now.

@livapul86
firstly is not sir but ma'am
if u read my post very well u ll c I said they went
for pre medical test in the bank chosen hospital after their online test n 3 interviews and afterwards their names were sent to CBN for the mandatory check. So is not contract cos they ve an agency doing that for them thru one of their departments or somtin.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Peterwins(m): 9:16pm On May 05, 2013
Entrepreneurship is not for everyone. Some professionals are better-off being employees rather than being employers. However people should endeavour to be financially prudent and seek to develop their potentials so that they do not remain redundant if they (employees) are sacked/retrenched.

Some may get better jobs, while others may establish successful businesses. It's a question of vision and perseverance.

An example: In 1973, Bloomberg became a general partner at Salomon Brothers, a bulge-bracket Wall Street investment bank, where he headed equity trading and, later, systems development. In 1981, Salomon Brothers was bought[14] and Bloomberg was laid off from the investment bank and given a $10 million severance package.[15] Using this money, Bloomberg went on to set up a company named Innovative Market Systems. His business plan was based on the realization that Wall Street (and the financial community generally) was willing to pay for high quality business information, delivered as quickly as possible and in as many usable forms possible, via technology (e.g., graphs of highly specific trends).[16] In 1982, Merrill Lynch became the new company's first customer, installing 22 of the company's Market Master terminals and investing $30 million in the company. The company was renamed Bloomberg L.P. in 1987.[17] By 1990, it had installed 8,000 terminals.[18] Over the years, ancillary products including Bloomberg News, Bloomberg Message, and Bloomberg Tradebook were launched.[19]

As of 2012, the company had more than 310,000 terminals worldwide.[20] His company also has a radio network which currently has its flagship station as 1130 WBBR AM in New York City. He left the position of CEO to pursue a political career as the mayor of New York City. Bloomberg was replaced as CEO by Lex Fenwick.[21] The company is now led by president Daniel L. Doctoroff, a former deputy mayor under Bloomberg.[22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg

The founder of Fidson Healthcare (listed on the Nigeria Stock exchange) used his gratuity/severance package to establish the healthcare company simply producing paracetamol tablets before it grew to become a blue chip pharmaceutical company.

So many other positive (small, medium and large scale) examples abound.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by ijemomo(m): 10:37pm On May 05, 2013
This is d result of CBN's hard stand on banks! We were all happy when cot was reduced to N3.00, not done with dt withdrawal charge on ATM monthly charge removed! & so many other revenue cuts!!! These are all designed to promote his islamic banking model! Nigerians must resist this enemy of our time!
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by buJu234: 11:03am On May 06, 2013
I read a book that said "when a company downside; their share price will go up and investors will get more money. so why not decide to b an investor instead of an employee"

i still think investing ones time and energy in starting and building one business is the key to financial freedom. after all over 90% of all successful investors re businessmen.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by adetsim(m): 12:35pm On May 06, 2013
efosanice: before taking up any job in NIGERIA, especially in the bank, you need to ask yourself so many questions like how secure the job is going to be, when would the take off time be and what are your life long goals.

Here is a list of questions you should ask yourself when taking up a job.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/job-offer-questions-to-ask-yourself.html

I even hate bank jobs from the on-set; they will use you in your prime and dump you later. This is not funny to me as my brother had fallen victim before getting another job.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by wasolad01: 5:30pm On May 06, 2013
Legalplayerz: This is sad... But we all must also remember that it's not that easy to be an entrepreneur too, because the business can also fail. This life is just not fair at all. I'm sure with God will provide for them all.

Please those who are great in life don't get there easily. We must face and overcome challenges to be who we desire to be.
Forget the failure of any business. Say to yourself that there is no failure in nature. Moreover, any kind of failure is temporary but you can make it permanent by not making more attempt.
Entrepreneurs always fight against pessimism unlike those who are looking for job security.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by wasolad01: 5:34pm On May 06, 2013
buJu-234:
I read a book that said "when a company downside; their share price will go up and investors will get more money. so why not decide to b an investor instead of an employee"

i still think investing ones time and energy in starting and building one business is the key to financial freedom. after all over 90% of all successful investors re businessmen.

Rich Dad Poor dad.
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by Adesiji77: 4:09am On May 09, 2013
AjanleKoko: Trust they paid some severance. If they did, it's not too bad. Some companies sack, and kick you to the kerb with nothing.
AJ, 'severance'? In this age of contributory pension scheme (esp in S******)? Dont bank on it! A 'handshake' is more likely! #justmythoughts#
Re: Stanbic IBTC Fires 250 Of Their Staff Nationwide by buruike(f): 3:44pm On May 12, 2013
Adesiji77:
AJ, 'severance'? In this age of contributory pension scheme (esp in S******)? Dont bank on it! A 'handshake' is more likely! #justmythoughts#

@Adesiji77
dnt say what you dnt knw.I have a friend in Stanbic who told me last week that they ve started on their packages.
If I may even ask you,what do you mean by (esp in S..)
like you knw them with certain reputation right?
nway I guess to each his own

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? / Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos) / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.