Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,218 members, 7,829,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment (20014 Views)

PDP To Aregbesola: Stop Creation Of 39 New Councils / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. / INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Agbgift(f): 12:19pm On May 05, 2013
dridowu: Justice is for the highest bidder in Nigeria.
What a shameful profession .
I think they are taught how to be corrupt in law school.

Dnt say wat u dnt knw mr.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by adyby(m): 12:20pm On May 05, 2013
You see, Nigeria media always want you to react in a conditioned manner which ordinarily you wouldnt have reacted. The guy stole governor's phone where he was sworn in. He had swindled some important personalities, including Owa Obokun of Ijesa land. He was charged on 6-count charge, three of which he bagged 10 years each and another three 5 years each WHICH ARE TO RUN CONCURRENTLY. THIS MEANS HE IS TO SPEND ONLY 10 YEARS IN JAIL. Nigeria media in their wisdom added 10x3 + 5x3 = 45. Can we now conclude that they are out to confuse people?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by joseph1832(m): 12:23pm On May 05, 2013
One thing I find annoying is that some dimwits here in Nigeria will open their vocal caivity and say "Nigeria is a democratic state". How can there be a democracy when only the poor face justice when they commit an offence, and they rich go scud free or they make sure they frustrate the judicial process!.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Anvaller: 12:37pm On May 05, 2013
Okay People... let's learn to criticize any unfolding scenario only based on facts and the connecting realities.
Was the guy accused only of phone theft? Nope
Apart from phone theft, what other accusations? ...2)Impersonation of the governor 3)Collection of money by false pretense (i.e based on impersonation)and 3 others. So from what I gathered, he is convicted on a 6 count charge, he was found guilty as charged and got jail term on each charges. So ur criticism is faulty if u are one of those who criticized based on the assumption that he was only charged for phone theft.

However @dulphines
dulphines: 45 years in prison is not enough for that criminal. If u'v been robbed before then u'll understand that these criminals are heartless and kill at will. They are deadlier than the ones you term "big thieves" and should be locked down for life.
I am sorry to say that ur thinking is not deep (u have the right to disagree). U said a guy who only stole phone and impersonated one individual is more dangerous than a bigger thief that stole and deprive millions of ppl their basic livelihood? A consequence of which is mass poverty, daily tragic death by road accident, hopelessness as a result of lack of opportunities and prospect for a honest hard working citizen. And a product of such degenerated society are these small thieves... So who exactly should we blame over all? The small thief or the big thief such as Aregbeshola?

I don't have any problem that the small thief is taken to jail.. since the gravity of his offence seems to commensurate with his sentence but the big thief should also go to jail and their sentence must also commensurate with the gravity of their offence which in my opinion should be life imprisonment or death because these big thieves are both directly and indirectly catalytic to many citizen's death and misfortune.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Agbele1(m): 12:40pm On May 05, 2013
I'm nt surprise,african china don sing am.poor man wey tif magi,dem go show dem face 4 crime fiter.na God go judge dem all
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:44pm On May 05, 2013
Most people who claimed to be learned are gullible, uneducated and fools!
Almost no one knws half the story. The 45yrs is their problem!
Was he sentenced to 45yrs for stealing a phone or for various charges against him?
The guy is a plain theif with records of a prison term at ikoyi. The guy used the phone to swindle some people, he has other criminal records against.
For theft, fraud, and violent records initially against him and others he had committed, all amounted to 45yrs!
And it will run concurrently, which means he might not even spent up to 10yrs in prison!

Are u these foolish?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by talkmarkay(m): 12:46pm On May 05, 2013
There are problems with some nigerians, infact you will see some educated peoples acting like illiterate.

Many people did not bother to read the content of the judgement before commenting. Some people do not even care to found out the background/past of the offender before bashing the jurgement.

May God save this country....
May God gives Nigerians the wisdom to be able to comprehend our differences
May God leads us to the pomise Land
AMEEN
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:46pm On May 05, 2013
Naija which way?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by okonri(m): 12:47pm On May 05, 2013
belu: Ibori and Alaimesega should go for 2billion years imprisionment. Wheneva any of them die, d child wil continue until dey conplete dat tenure
lmao. U r really funny dude. U got me cracking.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by kourhage: 12:52pm On May 05, 2013
What arant nonsense. Let the so called gov tell me he has never ever added zero's to figures or that he has never stollen from his wife's pot. Mtewwwwww. God bless ighodalo and i know they will soon grant you state pardon.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by esere826: 1:06pm On May 05, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Most people who claimed to be learned are gullible, uneducated and fools!
Was he sentenced to 45yrs for stealing a phone or for various charges against him?
The guy is a plain theif with records of a prison term at ikoyi. The guy used the phone to swindle some people, he has other criminal records against.
For theft, fraud, and violent records initially against him and others he had committed, all amounted to 45yrs!
And it will run concurrently, which means he might not even spent up to 10yrs in prison!

Are u these foolish?

We're quite foolish for a reason
we cant be bothered to think anymore

-it shows our collective anger at a system that cld not convict ibori twice, and then same Ibori gets jailed in UK
-our anger at a system that grants pardons and amnesties to ex convicts because of political connections and foists them on our educational system to breed more of their kind
-our frustration with a system that lets a pension thief that stole millions (putting the remaining days of retirees in peril)walk away freely, then turn around and slams a comparatively lengthy jail term on a phone thief/scam artiste who made away with peanuts

Foolish actions have in turm made us extremely foolish and angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 05, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Most people who claimed to be learned are gullible, uneducated and fools!

Are u these foolish?

We can all witness your very own superior education in application. Just read your post again and cover your face in shame.

A post filled with grammatical blunders and what not. You can't even construct proper English sentences and you have the guts to
call others out.

The joke is on you. Pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by slimfit1(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2013
dulphines: 45 years in prison is not enough for that criminal. If u'v been robbed before then u'll understand that these criminals are heartless and kill at will. They are deadlier than the ones you term "big thieves" and should be locked down for life.

Well u lack understanding so Im not amazed to read this view of yours. Ask all these people thieves if they are happy to steal from you no non of them are happy to but the political thieves pushed these people.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by goldfish80(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2013
Gbawe:

Hide your face in shame for yourself and your totally disgusting education system that makes many of you leave university barely functional as per the concept of reading, comprehending what is written and making logical conclusions 6 year old are capable of elsewhere.

All of you are fond of coming here to attack others wrongly and vacuously when you are only displaying your own ridiculous scant education. Go and read about this event and come and tell us whether the sentencing judge erred let alone Aregbesola who is not involved in this.
Wtf is this lunatic rambling about? If υ must be mad at someone it should be yo parents not me. Kapish?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Brotherman(m): 1:25pm On May 05, 2013
baba Fela for see all these things; i wish Fela was alive he would have relaesed another album with all these selective judgments
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 1:25pm On May 05, 2013
talkmarkay: There are problems with some nigerians, infact you will see some educated peoples acting like illiterate.

Many people did not bother to read the content of the judgement before commenting. Some people do not even care to found out the background/past of the offender before bashing the jurgement.

May God save this country....
May God gives Nigerians the wisdom to be able to comprehend our differences
May God leads us to the pomise Land
AMEEN

Thank you !!! I have personally corrected misconceptions about this case at least 4 times on this forum. Yet all I see is a proud and collective readiness to wallow in ignorance that shows why Nigeria is what it is is today. How many of those shouting here and insulting others (the judge, Aregbesola et al) know that the judge actually showed leniency?

Sentencing guideline gives the judge the total discretion of choosing between a minimum of 7 years and a maximum of 20 years ,all without the option of a fine, for the crime committed yet the judge went for 10 years. The judge has done his job impeccably and this does not even concern Aregbesola yet all we get here is ALUU-like utterances.

These people here, because of their own intellectual laziness, are the same ones who will partake in the wrongful lynching of the judge connected in this case same as those ignorant animals lynched those poor boys in ALUU. Taking 3 minutes to read an article is even too much for majority of posters here. They would rather operate with ignorance and lynch-mob insanity. Sometimes I think there is limited hope for Nigeria because the people of a nation are supposed to be it's asset and hope.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/132500-osun-govt-explains-jail-term-for-man-who-stole-gov-aregbesolas-phone.html

Mr. Afolabi said the accused were charged to court on a- six-count charge of conspiracy to obtain money under false pretence, obtaining money under false pretence, stealing and impersonation.
“Although Ighodalo was granted bail by the Court, he jumped bail and attempted committing similar offence with another person’s GSM number but was caught in the process.
“He was later arraigned on the six-count charge and he pleaded guilty to all the six counts. The first three counts carry twenty years maximum term with no option of fine,” he noted.
Mr. Afolabi clarified that whoever committed this offence under Subsection (1) or (2) is liable on conviction to imprisonment for not more than twenty years and not less than seven years without an option of a fine.
The commissioner further recalled, however, that the Judge, while sentencing Ighodalo, exercised his discretion within the limited space allowed by law to sentence him to 10 years term on each of the first three counts.

“To say that Ighodalo was sentenced to 45 years prison term for stealing Aregbesola’s phone is not only misleading but unduly sensationalised, unfair to the court and the entire criminal justice system.
“I will only advise that Nigerians should refrain from trivialising or playing politics with serious financial crime more so when other members of the syndicate are still at large and any member of the public may fall their victim.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by frederal(m): 1:26pm On May 05, 2013
50,000=45 years imprisonment, i.e 900 naira=1 year embarassed
How come Ibori got 13yrs for 50,000,000 pounds? Based on this judgement, it will take 100 generations (all and sundry) of Ibori to served out d term.
If law should be passed based on this judgement(900=1yr), atleast road-bumps in Nigeria should be built with gold.
That judge should know that judgement too await him by God.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 1:33pm On May 05, 2013
goldfish80:
Wtf is this lunatic rambling about? If υ must be mad at someone it should be yo parents not me. Kapish?

You are the lunatic not me. Very predictable because this is all illiterates like you have the capacity for. I have seen this from Nigerians everywhere. They talk ignorantly, attack others wrongly out of their own illiteracy and poor comprehension plus make a loud and uncouth nuisance of themselves.

When corrected and shown up to be empty barrels insulting others wrongly, rather than become contrite as others would be, empty insult is the next line of action for these elements no better than gutter agberos. I repeat, you are the illiterate disgrace to Nigeria and the person who should hide his face in shame and not Aregbesola.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by stan241(m): 1:48pm On May 05, 2013
I said this the last time and someone abused me... one common problem people here have is that inability to actually read...same advice as before people please for the love of God pls read through the details of the topic before jumping to the comments section

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by RuuDie(m): 1:54pm On May 05, 2013
Even if it is 10yrs. . .is that not too much for a case of phone theft!!?

Shuo! Abi you think sey 10yrs na 10 hours!
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by goldfish80(m): 1:57pm On May 05, 2013
Gbawe:

You are the lunatic not me. Very predictable because this is all illiterates like have the capacity for. I have seen this from Nigerians everywhere. They talk ignorantly, attack others wrongly out of their own illiteracy and poor comprehension plus make a loud and uncouth nuisance of themselves.

When corrected and shown up to be empty barrels insulting others wrongly, rather than become contrite as others would be, empty insult is the next line of action for these elements no better than gutter agberos. I repeat, you are the illiterate disgrace to Nigeria and the person who should hide his face in shame and not Aregbesola.
You are striving so hard to make a point but the more you talk, the more stupeed you sound. I would have given you α hot slap this afternoon if this was to be a face-face talk... educated Agbero
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by RuuDie(m): 1:59pm On May 05, 2013

Are u these foolish?

Dude, get it togther. Are they sentencing him for crimes he'd been convicted for previously!!?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 2:00pm On May 05, 2013
RuuDie: Even if it is 10yrs. . .is that not too much for a case of phone theft!!?

Shuo! Abi you think sey 10yrs na 10 hours!

Is it a case of "phone theft" alone as you simplistically posit?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by ddeola: 2:41pm On May 05, 2013
I support all the complaints, this judgement has rubbished Nija's judicial system to a "nonesensical" institution
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by goldolu: 2:42pm On May 05, 2013
pendusky:

u jst said my mind!...
u mean thief tif thief? Was it at gun point? I guess the guy must have seen billions of dollers alart and he will open his mouth soon, so keeping him in the cooler will be better
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dridowu: 2:47pm On May 05, 2013
Tell me what i dont know
Agbgift:

Dnt say wat u dnt knw mr.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 05, 2013

So, in ur warped opinion, 45yrs is too small for stealing wit a gun while 2yrs or fine is too harsh on those who steal wit pens ko? Comot jor. Hauka da munafirci ke nan!
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Parnassuss(m): 3:26pm On May 05, 2013
So what is argued here is there is NO way to charge Bode George, John Yusufu, Dimeji Bankole, Cecilia Ibru and Lucky Igbinedion under harsher codes but this Ighodalo man suffers that? Bleep you Nigeria
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dulphines: 3:29pm On May 05, 2013
dridowu: so u prefer the big thieves to the small thieves, u said d small thiefs kill but have u 4goten dat big thfs kills also (indirectly) by squandering money belong to pensioners, by not fixing infrasture afta coleting d money , etc. #smdh 4 ur thinking#

Don't smdh 4 my thinking yet and go through my comment over again. It didn't imply that i prefer any category of thieves but concernd on d fact that the ones that waylay people, pick-pockets and their likes ar DEADLIER and shld be lockd down. Pls. Read, comprehend and be thorough in your analysis before commenting. Never rush to comment and later discover that its ur thinking(brain) that shld be put to scrutiny.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by EkoIle1: 3:31pm On May 05, 2013
Gbawe: Why do you people keep repeating this 45 years fallacy? When they joke thatb black people hate reading you will all be mad and blustering sanctimoniously yet you are all proving it here. Every single article about this event also states that the convicted man will only serve 10 years in prison as the 45 years jail term is an accumulation of the various sentences that will run concurrently. Obvious most only read the title and work themselves into a self-righteous frenzy yet I wonder how so many people can be so united by hideous intellectually laziness? It is a terrible prospect to consider in respect to the manpower that will 'develop' Nigeria. Obvious Nigerians love to wallow in ignorance that leads them to never seeing the complete picture. Probably why we have a crap nation. After all Nigerians are Nigeria.

I honestly think they stopped teaching reading and comprehension in our schools or many on nl took the class but failed woefully....
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Ehizze(m): 3:35pm On May 05, 2013
Justice was served, but without leniency.. D guy was guilty of a five count charge, 4 of which attracts 10yrs n d oda 1 5yrs term amounting 2 45yrs. This howeva could hav been played out wit sum leniency n fine options, afterall our polititians do worse n practically walk away!
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by phlox4(m): 3:38pm On May 05, 2013
The guy was sentence for about 10years not 45 years . I read the transcript of the judgement . 10yrs for an offence , another 10yrs for another offence , and another 10yrs for another offence , and 5yrs for an offence , and 10yrs for another offence . All to be served concurrently. Meaning the guy would spend about 10yrs in jail.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

$5m Found In Patience Jonathan’s Account / Gov. Udom Emmanuel Visits Sen. Ekpeyong Over Wife’s Demise (photos) / Fresh Nationwide Strike Looms In Power Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.