Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment (20017 Views)

PDP To Aregbesola: Stop Creation Of 39 New Councils / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. / INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dulphines: 3:43pm On May 05, 2013
mazado:
So, in ur warped opinion, 45yrs is too small for stealing wit a gun while 2yrs or fine is too harsh on those who steal wit pens ko? Comot jor. Hauka da munafirci ke nan!

Go through my comment again and if u still understand it the way you put it then u'l surely fail most aptitude test that requires your ability to comprehend and logical reasoning. #No offence intended#.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by babseg(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2013
Thief steal am, thief collect am.

Thief sentenced him

Thieves dey complain say 45yrs too much

Case closed
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by dridowu: 3:49pm On May 05, 2013
dulphines:

Don't smdh 4 my thinking yet and go through my comment over again. It didn't imply that i prefer any category of thieves but concernd on d fact that the ones that waylay people, pick-pockets and their likes ar DEADLIER and shld be lockd down. Pls. Read, comprehend and be thorough in your analysis before commenting. Never rush to comment and later discover that its ur thinking(brain) that shld be put to scrutiny.
if my brain nid scrutiny no problem, but ur supporter (big theives) are d problem to this GREAT NATION (NIGERIA)
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by skyfall: 3:52pm On May 05, 2013
Most of the people posting on this thread are functional illiterates. The guy was not convicted on the phone theft per se. Rather, what he did with the info on the phone.

It's like stealing a gun and then murdering someone with it. Obviously, the murder charge will attract a much longer sentence than the gun theft. Moreover, the sentence is not 45yrs; it's effectively 10yrs. Nigerian journalists like to amplify the news so as to sell their papers and attract web traffic.

If you guys really want corrupt politicians to get longer sentences, it's in the power of the govt to radically change our outdated criminal codes. Obviously, PDP (which holds the Executive, Senate & House of Reps) does not have any interest doing that because they are the greatest beneficiaries of our corrupt system and weak laws.

So stop voting for PDP, vote serious-minded leaders who will serve you as promised. Or keep quiet. A country is not changed by just ranting on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by swiftycool(m): 3:54pm On May 05, 2013
martin92: Imagine. Only 50k fone ?. Wen the person dat stole my android and laptop worth 150k spent only 2months in prison. Does it mean dat the executive nw influences the judgement of the judiciary ?
Talk about fair and equal justice smh undecided
Legal systems in Naija is a big joke
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by lumeneng22: 4:04pm On May 05, 2013
Men if this criminal come out of jail after 45yrs, the whole of osun state are in trouble.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by lumeneng22: 4:12pm On May 05, 2013
dridowu: Justice is for the highest bidder in Nigeria.
What a shameful profession .
I think they are taught how to be corrupt in law school.
.This the result of those lawyers who cut corners to become judges my broda.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by DonaldGenes(m): 4:22pm On May 05, 2013
this is absolutely preposterous..the judge must be real silly
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by katordidi(m): 5:17pm On May 05, 2013
baynix: Thief Na Thief!!

Besides, He Was A Murderer!! I Dnt Knw Hw A Murderer Got Out Frm The Prison N Still Went Ahead To Commit Anada Crime!!

O Ma Pe L'ewon Ju Obo Lo! grin grin
he was jailed for stealing not murder
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 5:26pm On May 05, 2013
Eko Ile:

I honestly think they stopped teaching reading and comprehension in our schools or many on nl took the class but failed woefully....

The ignorant utterance of many here shows why Nigeria, top to bottom, is a lawless place where ALUU-style lynching still happens. In all these ignorant, misinformed and intellectually lazy outbursts, one thing stands out clearly to damn Nigeria as a place where people are not innately law-abiding despite their hollow and insincere utterance.

I.e the total disregard for the fact that the judge acted within sentencing guideline.

If anything, it is obvious the judge is a lenient judge. This is a dismissed Police Officer who is now a serial criminal. He jumps bail with impunity and commits offences while an absconded convict with others in a gang structure. He was previously jailed for 6 years in relation to charges of murder, theft and political thuggery. In short, this is likely the kind of character to shoot down the ignoramuses talking here.

The guideline gave the judge the power to sentence this man to jail for 20 years without option of a fine for other offences related to the theft of the phone. Considering his previous conduct and menace to society, it is obvious the judge is a compassionate man sending this unrepentant crook to jail for 10 years. This is how these types become lawrence Aninis and Monday Osunbors to be wasting Nigerian lives everywhere. Of course thieving politicians deserve sterner sentences but so also committed, violent and re-offending criminals who want to make Nigeria hell for hardworking and law-abiding folks.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 05, 2013
There seems to be no hope for Nigeria, the youth are a wasted generation!

These journalists are full of shyt, whenever there isn't a story to report, they manufacture one. I mean one cannot and should not trust newspaper reports in nigeria, look at how they carefully misinform the gullible minds out here! SMH
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by NovusHomo(m): 5:48pm On May 05, 2013
Aregbesola's wife?.
ZUBY77: This thief should be honoured instead of jailing him.
A thief bold enough to steal another thief's (the governor) phone despite all the security aids and guns attached to him should be honoured with GCON or atleast MON.
Seriously someone who admitted to have stolen 23 billion of pension fund was freed on a 250k bail and we jailed a 50k thief for 45 years.

What did aregbosola,s wife say about thiis?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Gbawe: 6:08pm On May 05, 2013
django1: There seems to be no hope for Nigeria, the youth are a wasted generation!

These journalists are full of shyt, whenever there isn't a story to report, they manufacture one. I mean one cannot and should not trust newspaper reports in nigeria, look at how they carefully misinform the gullible minds out here! SMH

Completely correct. What makes the Nigerian youth even more worthless is the total lack of humility or interest in self-development that means he is impervious to accepting correction like an incorrigible jungle animal.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by ibkgab001: 6:16pm On May 05, 2013
I Love that coinage POLITHIEFCIAN grin
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by maasoap(m): 7:20pm On May 05, 2013
He deserves more than 10 years in jail, with Jonathan's phone in your, you can easily set Nigeria on fire. Just imagine the kind of havoc this guy could wreak in Osun state with the number one citizen's phone in his hand.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by ZUBY77(m): 7:24pm On May 05, 2013
Gbawe:

The ignorant utterance of many here shows why Nigeria, top to bottom, is a lawless place where ALUU-style lynching still happens. In all these ignorant, misinformed and intellectually lazy outbursts, one thing stands out clearly to damn Nigeria as a place where people are not innately law-abiding despite their hollow and insincere utterance.

I.e the total disregard for the fact that the judge acted within sentencing guideline.

If anything, it is obvious the judge is a lenient judge. This is a dismissed Police Officer who is now a serial criminal. He jumps bail with impunity and commits offences while an absconded convict with others in a gang structure. He was previously jailed for 6 years in relation to charges of murder, theft and political thuggery. In short, this is likely the kind of character to shoot down the ignoramuses talking here.

The guideline gave the judge the power to sentence this man to jail for 20 years without option of a fine for other offences related to the theft of the phone. Considering his previous conduct and menace to society, it is obvious the judge is a compassionate man sending this unrepentant crook to jail for 10 years. This is how these types become lawrence Aninis and Monday Osunbors to be wasting Nigerian lives everywhere. Of course thieving politicians deserve sterner sentences but so also committed, violent and re-offending criminals who want to make Nigeria hell for hardworking and law-abiding folks.

Joke apart, you are right. I dont care about how many years the judge handed out to the serial thief.
However, What worries me is the knd of sentences some other judges hands out in some other places.
We inherited the same country and set of laws. Nobody should be above it.

I believe this phone thief will never condemn as much people to hopelessness and poverty as a thief who stole public fund meant for the poor masses of this nation.

Contractors abscond with money meant for roads and people die on the same roads everyday.
The judiciary must face such crimes as well.

In today's China, petty thieves who steal phones and foods get light jail times. Sometimes they just get community service work. So is Europe.
The govet of China and Europe focuses on people who embezzle public funds and people who trade on dangerous drugs.
For the fact the i dont have light where i am now should be enough reason for some people to be in jail
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by maasoap(m): 7:35pm On May 05, 2013
ZUBY77:

Joke apart, you are right. I dont care about how many years the judge handed out to the serial thief.
However, What worries me is the knd of sentences some other judges hands out in some other places.
We inherited the same country and set of laws. Nobody should be above it.

I believe this phone thief will never condemn as much people to hopelessness and poverty as a thief who stole public fund meant for the poor masses of this nation.

Contractors abscond with money meant for roads and people die on the same roads everyday.
The judiciary must face such crimes as well.

In today's China, petty thieves who steal phones and foods get light jail times. Sometimes they just get community service work. So is Europe.
The govet of China and Europe focuses on people who embezzle public funds and people who trade on dangerous drugs.
For the fact the i dont have light where i am now should be enough reason for some people to be in jail
You are right, but many people are using bad and too lenient judgements as a yardstick in this man's case. He is a serial offender, the more he offends the more harsh his sentences become. The fact that big thieves are getting away with their crime doesnt mean we should advocate too lenient sentences for serial criminals.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 05, 2013
Many on this forum are just pure "sicktards".

Did Aregbesola make the laws on which such offenders are tried? Did the judge go outside the confines of stipulated regulations in passing judgement?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by lilcutie8916(m): 8:10pm On May 05, 2013
first of all how the guy take get access to the phone in the first place with the presence of all the aide, police, bodyguards etc abi the governor go see him babe ne we make security no follow am come let sharp guy steel him phone. make them investigate that matter well o
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Tgirl4real(f): 8:44pm On May 05, 2013
Gbawe:

Very well said!
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by muredo(m): 10:05pm On May 05, 2013
That is why dis country is where we are today,just to call a SPADE A SPADE,must ighodalo thief or using it for impersonation?if he didnt go prison now,if he find himself in position of authority tomorrow,he will do more harm to the treasury of the nation,let him go may be he can learn his lesson in a very hard way,OLE OSI
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:34pm On May 05, 2013
Bandit C.:

We can all witness your very own superior education in application. Just read your post again and cover your face in shame.

A post filled with grammatical blunders and what not. You can't even construct proper English sentences and you have the guts to
call others out.

The joke is on you. Pathetic.
u are jes displaying muc of ur foolishness!
U see, i was explaining how u were wrong by readin and judging from a part of the story, u were busy checkin my grammatical blunders!

God, it goes a long way to show dt education doesn't guarantee intelligence!

FYI, i dnt biliv the English will try to learn my own native language without makin a mistake.
English aint ma fuckin language.
Go figure!
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Larrylarex(m): 10:46pm On May 05, 2013
The man was sentenced for 6 charges, 3 of 5 years each and the other 3 for 10 years each as well making it 45 years altogether but to be ran CONCURRENTLY, that means he will use 10 years in jail for all six charges. You also have to note that in the prison system 8 months = 1 year, that means the 10 years equals 80 months that is 6 years and 8 months. I think that is still a pretty fair judgement for theft and impersonation
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by tunjidj3: 11:00pm On May 05, 2013
45yrs imprisonment + the man present age = death
aregbesola has already condem the man due to fear of unknown but the judgement is unfair
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by isartha2000: 1:02am On May 06, 2013
Thief na thief,,whether phone or billion, a thief shld be treated as a thief.period.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by Patsey: 1:32am On May 06, 2013
THE JUDGE, OYEJIDE FALOLA, WHO PASSED THIS SENSELESS JUDGEMENT SHOULD CONTINUE TO SLEEP WITH HIS EYES WIDE OPEN. THIS THIEF AND FRAUDSTER DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED BUT NOT A 45 YEARS COMMITTAL.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by rman: 7:03am On May 06, 2013
A lot of posters still go ahead to write ingonrantly even after a few posters interpreted the judgement.

Even if we can't read the artcle, a simple scroll through the first page alone should make others understand the issues.

It is not looking good for us as nation. These ignorant posters are the ones that make up the majority in Nigeria.

No wonder, everything has been turned upside down.

Politics, Eduacation, Religion, name it and you will find out Nigeria's case is the abnormal.

There is nothing political, religious, or ethnic about this case but MAJORITY still interpreted it ignorantly.

I assume nairaland is full of young people. If these are the ones we are eagerly anticipating to make positive and well informed decisions for effective change, WE SHOULD FORGET IT.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by joseph1832(m): 9:06am On May 06, 2013
Gbawe: Why do you people keep repeating this 45 years fallacy? When they joke thatb black people hate reading you will all be mad and blustering sanctimoniously yet you are all proving it here. Every single article about this event also states that the convicted man will only serve 10 years in prison as the 45 years jail term is an accumulation of the various sentences that will run concurrently. Obvious most only read the title and work themselves into a self-righteous frenzy yet I wonder how so many people can be so united by hideous intellectually laziness? It is a terrible prospect to consider in respect to the manpower that will 'develop' Nigeria. Obvious Nigerians love to wallow in ignorance that leads them to never seeing the complete picture. Probably why we have a crap nation. After all Nigerians are Nigeria.
How many count charge was levelled against Maina, ceciclia Ibru, Erastus Akingbola, Gbenga Daniel, Demeji Bankole and co!?.

Even the ten years he's going to spend is a complete aberration to the justice system we have else where in the world compared to the gravity of crimes those I mentioned above committed!.

It's gross cheaating plain and simple!.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by AjanleKoko: 9:12am On May 06, 2013
Too bad for the guy. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. He should have thought about it, stealing the governor's phone, when there are lots of other non-connected, hapless citizens that he could have robbed grin.
Did he think he was going to get off easy?
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by joseph1832(m): 9:13am On May 06, 2013
rman: A lot of posters still go ahead to write ingonrantly even after a few posters interpreted the judgement.

Even if we can't read the artcle, a simple scroll through the first page alone should make others understand the issues.

It is not looking good for us as nation. These ignorant posters are the ones that make up the majority in Nigeria.

No wonder, everything has been turned upside down.

Politics, Eduacation, Religion, name it and you will find out Nigeria's case is the abnormal.

There is nothing political, religious, or ethnic about this case but MAJORITY still interpreted it ignorantly.

I assume nairaland is full of young people. If these are the ones we are eagerly anticipating to make positive and well informed decisions for effective change, WE SHOULD FORGET IT.

You speak of change, how can there be true change when the justice system only favours the political elite?. The man is a rogue no doubt so tell me how is he different from the political and financial rogue that have bedeviled this country!.
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by byteem: 11:45am On May 06, 2013
THIS IS SHAMEFUL .. .. AM NOT A FAN OF THE THIEF, BUT THIS SUMMARIZES EVERYTHING WRONG WITH NIGERIA .. WHERE A JUDGE WILL GIVE 45YRS ( CONCURRENT TERM OF 10YRS)TO A PHONE THIEF WHILE ANOTHER JUDGE GIVES N750,000 FINE TO ANOTHER THIEF THAT STOLE BILLIONS ..WHATS THE MORAL JUSTIFICATION FOR THAT ..IS AREGBESHOLA HIMSELF CLEAN? ..CAN THE JUDGE EVEN CLAIM TO BE CLEAN.. THEY ARE SO QUICK TO SET EXAMPLES WITH COMMON CITIZENS AND FAIL TO DO SAME WITH THE SO CALLED POLITICIANS WHO DESTROY MORE LIVES WITH THEIR GREEDY ANTICS ..REALLY SHAMEFUL

MORESO I WONDER WHY THE GOVERNORS CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER (CSO) HAS NOT BEEN SACKED TOGETHER WITH ALL HIS DETAILS THEY SHOULD GET DISCIPLINARY TREATMENT TOO ..BECAUSE THIS IS A SHAMEFUL SECURITY BREACH .. IF THE GOVERNORS PHONE CAN BE STOLEN WITH SO MUCH EASE THEN HE CAN ALSO BE ELIMINATED .. FOOD FOR TOT FOR OMISORE..

FINGERS CROSSED ..
Re: Nigerians React To Aregbesola Phone Theft Judgment by pearlesther: 12:01pm On May 06, 2013
valinda: who dey thief who for naija
na thief don thief the thief lolzzz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Jonathan Reduced Electrify Tariff To Get Votes In 2015 – Fashola / 2019: Atiku, Saraki, Secondus, Others Listed For Arrest — PDP / N1bn Bail Slammed On Maurice Iwu By Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.