Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,610 members, 7,816,511 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? (19360 Views)

Aba: A City In Ruins / Historian help!Which city was the first capital of Nigeria?Calabar,zungeru,lagos / Which City In Nigeria Would You Like To Live In? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 9:54am On May 05, 2013
I have been living in Jos for some time now and I just love the part of Jos I am. When I got to Jos, I discorverd that despite the fact that Jos is in a zone where hausa is a major language, you really do not need to speak this language before you flow in Jos and I have never encoutered anybody trying to cheat me in the market just because I do not speak their language. I have not been to the East but I know that in the West you could be seriously cheated in the market if its known you cannot speak yoruba!
Lagos, Ibadan, Kaduna, Kaduna, Jos, Kano, are all cosmopolitan but which one is the most cosmopolitan such that anybody from any part of the country could feel at home anytime anyday.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by seunfly: 10:04am On May 05, 2013
I don't think u should base ur judgment on cheating in market cos of Language barrier, i think average Hausa marketers is little more honest in trading his wares than average southerners generally due to what they term over smartness.
However city being cosmopolitan can be determined by
1) Style of living.
2) Blends of rich cultures from diffrent ethnic groups.
3) How independent peaple can express their selves without any cultural, tribal, religious and social hindrance.
4) Financial potency of such city.
5)population of such city.
If u put all this together i will like to rank it in this other:
1) Lagos
2) Abuja
3) pourtharcourt
this are the cities that u will believe to be more cosmopolitan in nature. U can speak any language and the next person u sit with in a bus will reply u back, u can walk out of ur house and find Calabar kitchen opposite ur house.
Uchena and kunle will be sharing shop and hausa, yoruba or igbo man may be ur cab driver.
may be Kano, kaduna should have been on the list but nowadays peaple have reduced the way dy express them selve due to violence.
I think enugu and owerri are calm and beautifull cities but i doubt ur cab driver can be hausa or yoruba man. Ibadan, markudi, jos, yola, calabar and akure are big cities but i doubt ur next flat mate can understand ur language.

46 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by asha80(m): 10:09am On May 05, 2013
unquestionably lagos followed by maybe jos.

2 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 11:13am On May 05, 2013
@seunfly, i have not be in PH b4, but d place seems cool according to u, fo anybody to be. I had lived in Lagos and had spent hours in Abuja, I thnk being ex and current capital of nigeria, those places have no option dan to be cosmopolitan. The reason Im picking Jos s bcaus its my base now and im not from plateau(im Yoruba). b4 d 2001 crisis, pple mix here very well, muslims, xtians, all tribes! but afta, things seems to split between all Nigerans and hausa/fulanis!
In Jos, if u enta a cab, den its going to b either igbo or yoruba cab (or hausa, if its long journy!) u hardly fnd indigene doing cab! intermarriage is plenty here.

4 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by delson2k: 11:39am On May 05, 2013
first 2 coment,i think is lagos
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 11:40am On May 05, 2013
Lagos
Benin City
and PH
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by victorazy(m): 11:44am On May 05, 2013
Port Harcourt don't know about Jos sha
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by effisyman: 11:44am On May 05, 2013
Lagos and Oyo.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by omicron(m): 11:46am On May 05, 2013
Abuja..igbo, hausa, yoruba, whites, everyone co existing without fear or feeling like an alien. Infrastructurally qualified too. Better civilized. Lagos?..maybe too but yoruba preponderance makes it less so.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Rexnegro(m): 11:48am On May 05, 2013
Lagos wins it all....Lagos Noni
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Rexnegro(m): 11:48am On May 05, 2013
Lagos wins it all....Eko Noni..eko o Ni baje o
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Evestar200(f): 11:49am On May 05, 2013
Delta

2 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Rexnegro(m): 11:50am On May 05, 2013
omicron: Abuja..igbo, hausa, yoruba, whites, everyone co existing without fear or feeling like an alien. Infrastructurally qualified too. Better civilized. Lagos?..maybe too but yoruba preponderance makes it less so.

Bro get ur fact right before u fart out ursef in public.....

2 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by patholaw: 11:50am On May 05, 2013
lagos, PH city...

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 11:53am On May 05, 2013
Please what time is Man-U vs Chelsea match? And eem, is it Chapions Lig or Europa Cup? What Cup are they Playing for?
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by malele(m): 11:53am On May 05, 2013
BRO once u no dey speak Yoruba for lag better go buy from person way dey speek ur language,else the kind of insult or cheating u will get will be surprising

3 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by delors(m): 11:55am On May 05, 2013
torhuke: Please what time is Man-U vs Chelsea match? And eem, is it Chapions Lig or Europa Cup? What Cup are they Playing for?
They already played yesterday na...its AFCON by the way. 15 - 15...Chelsea won on aggregate 15 - 24.

16 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by victorazy(m): 11:58am On May 05, 2013
Rexnegr[b:
[/b]o]

Bro get ur fact right before u fart out ursef in public.....

OMGosh!!! grin grin grin THE WORD

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Liveair: 11:59am On May 05, 2013
Well, going by the meaning of a Cosmopolis I would say the order is thus;
1. LAGOS - Just about everyone and everything is represented in lagos. Lots of Non Nigerians too.

2. PORT HARCOURT - There is no tribe not well represented in PH. Average cab driver is Yoruba, almost all car/parts dealers are Igbo and Hausas have several scattered settlements all around PH.
The average Restaurant is managed by Efik/Ibibio.

3. ABUJA - Abuja has an almost equal dose of all the above but also a large presence of the original dwellers and Hausa language is strong in certain places.

5 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by vedd: 12:02pm On May 05, 2013
I go with Lagos
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by omicron(m): 12:03pm On May 05, 2013
effisyman: Lagos and Oyo.
Oyo isnt d same as Ibadan. And even Ibadan no qualify...yoruba land proper.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Lordwize(m): 12:04pm On May 05, 2013
Lagos, though I'm staying in Kaduna.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Chartey(m): 12:11pm On May 05, 2013
@ op, so u had to open this thread when i said Kaduna was more cosmopolitan than Jos in the other thread? O ma ga fun e o.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by cheleku(m): 12:14pm On May 05, 2013
jos,Jos,jos,jos,jos and Jos......yes, lagos has a mixed polpulation comprising of people from diverse parts of the country,but there always seem to be a miasma of parochialism and etnnicism amongst the inhabitants. The yoruba man doesnt like the Igbo man, and so does the Igbo man. The hausas there are seen as lesser beings.
In jos, before the 2001 crisis, the disparate ethnic groups cohabited peacefully, there was not any form of pretence . Also the minority groups were well represented and respected. During my sec education there I could hardly say whic ethnic group were more in my class. Its a harmonious motley class. They were tivs, hausas, igbos, yourubas, itshekiris..you name it. But after the crisis though, this wonderfl relationship became tense.
As I left Jos long ago, I cannot say for sure if the fracture has been mended.

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 05, 2013
Plz o, sory 2 disturb u pple, ki lon je cosmopolitan?

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by phantom(m): 12:21pm On May 05, 2013
Most def lagos then PH.
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by alaoeri: 12:23pm On May 05, 2013
Wetin be cosmopolitan?

1 Like

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by fuckluv(f): 12:25pm On May 05, 2013
UNARGUABLY LAGOS and others tongue Why stress urself this much OP
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by DaLover(m): 12:25pm On May 05, 2013
Abuja take it without a doubt,
It's a totally free place, meaning you don't feel it's owned by any ethnic group..

Distant Second it ph city (there's is a heavy Igbo influence on the city) though the lingua Franca is English.

Third is lagos (a Yoruba city, with a lot of other Nigerians)
Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 05, 2013
In port harcourt the natives are becoming tenants in their ancestral homes. They now pay house rents to visitors who they previously sold their lands to. Again, native dialect is non-existence as the lingua-franca is the prevalent communication tool. Finally, I think the ratio of visitors to indigene population is 10/1. Basically in fair analysis and judgement, Port Harcourt is the worthy cosmopolitan city in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Which City In Nigeria Is The Most Cosmopolitan? by Innocent314: 12:27pm On May 05, 2013
I av travelled 14 state across d country, in d north, west, south & east. My answer to d above question is JOS(I am frm edo state)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Acquits Orubebe Over N1.97bn Contract Scam / Atiku Abubakar Visits Okezie Ikpeazu In Abia (Photos) / 12 Types Of People You Will Meet On Election Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.