Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings (8042 Views)

Corruption: BUHARI gives EFCC Go Ahead to Probe JONATHAN / 3 PDP Governors In Buhari’s Team To Cameroon / 2000 Baga Killings, Don't Believe The Army- Dr. Awoyemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 6:41am On May 07, 2013
The US government has dispatched a team of State Department officials to meet with top Nigerian government officials this week in Abuja to determine the actual circumstances of the Baga massacre between Boko Haram terrorists and the Nigerian military, Empowered Newswire reports.

While the US-based Human Rights Watch, has accused the Nigerian military for the massacre claiming that over 185 people were killed and thousands of houses destroyed, the Nigerian Ambassador to the US, Prof. Ade Adefuye, said the satellite pictures released by the human rights organisation were insufficient to determine who was responsible for the carnage.

The Empowered Newswire report indicated that US officials were in a dilemma over which of the disparate accounts to believe, hence the team’s visit.

Adefuye, according to the report, has confirmed that the US government’s team would be meeting in Abuja with officials of the Nigerian foreign affairs ministry, Ministry of Justice and the National Security Adviser, among others over the Boko Haram issue and especially the recent Baga massacre.

The ambassador said the Nigerian Embassy had also met with the US team that visited Nigeria last week to review the situation.

“When they came here to meet with us at the embassy we made it clear that the claims on the casualties have been excessively exaggerated,” he said.

Meanwhile, the National Space Research and Development Agency on Monday presented to a meeting attended by top security chiefs images of Baga captured before and after the April 15 confrontation between insurgents and the Multinational Task Force.

However, the presentation of the images to the media, which was to hold in Abuja on same Monday, was put off with officials citing the meeting of the satellite agency with security chiefs as the reason for the postponement.

But our correspondent learnt that the presentation of the images to the media could not hold because of the need to show the images to “all that needed to see it before public presentation”.

Present at the meeting was the Minister of Science and Technology, Prof. Ita Ewa; Chief of Defence Staff, Vice Admiral Ola Ibrahim; National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd); Director General of the State Security Services, Mr. Ita Ekpenyong; and NASRDA Director General, Dr. Seidu Mohammed.

Although details of the meeting between NASRDA and security chiefs could not be ascertained as of press time, our correspondent learnt that NASRDA presented the images of Baga captured before and after the violent confrontation to the service chiefs.

A source that spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, because of the sensitive nature of the issue, said the images presented to the security chiefs were processed images.

The source said, “The Space Application Department of NASRDA has processed the images. The images are not like the raw images that were shown on Aljazeera TV. You can see the houses and the entire environment unlike raw images that are blurred.

“There are people that are blowing the whole thing out of proportion to get the attention of the government. When you compare the images captured before and after the incident, you will understand that it had been blown out of proportion.”

Although Mohammed declined to speak on the phone when contacted by our correspondent, he noted that a press conference would be scheduled by NASRDA when it is ready to speak on the controversial subject.

http://www.punchng.com/news/us-sends-team-to-probe-baga-killings/

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 6:44am On May 07, 2013
Someone had to do something!!! undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 6:53am On May 07, 2013
Nigeria needs to do something about aljazeera's news coverage on her...

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Gooogle(m): 8:53am On May 07, 2013
hmmm. this is going to be interesting.
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by OneNaira6: 8:57am On May 07, 2013
Nigeria is the next Iraq and Afghan invasion. Ewo. Please USA when do you plan to "liberate" Nigeria. Tell na. i need time to get my parents, family and friends out first before unastart. Hmmmm watching carefully. I smell invasion liberation
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 8:59am On May 07, 2013
One_Naira: Nigeria is the next Iran and Afghan invasion. Ewo. USA needs to tell us when they are going to go and try and "liberate" Nigeria. Give me time to get my parents, family and friends out first before they start. Tell us ooo. Hmmmm watching carefully. I smell invasion liberation
@bolded - you've forgotten Nigeria has many of US rivals as allies? Won't happen bro
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:05am On May 07, 2013
Hot Air. GEJ do, dem go talk, GEJ siddon look, them go say do something abi na pop something. No pleasing mankind.

America know were to ally themselves, i trust.

2 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Gooogle(m): 9:06am On May 07, 2013
Let the government grow some ball.s and send them back.

Well, this is what you get when you appear clue.less over the issues of life,
people who have no business in your life will start managing your affairs.

Na wao.

4 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:08am On May 07, 2013
Gooogle: Let the government grow some ball.s and send them back.

Well, this is what you get when you appear clue.less over the issues of life,
people who have no business in your life will start managing your affairs.

Na wao.
clueless, how?
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:11am On May 07, 2013
Same America dat is not party to the International Legal arrangement, abegi make i hear word.

Dis is just routine. Dey need to strong arm Nigeria for their oil interest that is all.

Boko haram, u can see how low u have reduced dis country. smh!

2 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by OneNaira6: 9:12am On May 07, 2013
sheyie2007: @bolded - you've forgotten Nigeria has many of US rivals as allies? Won't happen bro

So did Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, Somalia, and all the countries they've invaded in this century. How much did it help them?

3 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:15am On May 07, 2013
One_Naira:

So did Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, Somalia, and all the countries they've invaded in this century. How much did it help them?
Are you high! Iran
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by phantom(m): 9:16am On May 07, 2013
Yeah the 'saints' have come! Maybe they should also explain to us some of the suspicious killings their troops were involved in in iraq and afghan. Busy bodies.who owes them any bloody explanation? World police my foot.

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Gooogle(m): 9:17am On May 07, 2013
sheyie2007: clueless, how?

Are you asking me?
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by OneNaira6: 9:23am On May 07, 2013
sheyie2007:
Are you high! Iran

So you don't know USA is one of the countries sponsoring Israel in their constant killings and attack against Iran or you weren't aware the US senators mentioned they plan to go to "war" with Iran if isreal goes to war With Iran. Keep up with times my friend.

Let me say it again: Somalia, Iraq, Afghan and now Iran had USA rivals as their friend, pray tell what good did it do or is doing? Advice for Nigerians: get ready for your own liberation. USA has set their eyes on that country, get ready.

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:32am On May 07, 2013
The world police is back at it... grin
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by dabrake(m): 9:37am On May 07, 2013
How e take concern me if dem kill abokis? For the survival of 80 million southerners, we can do away with the remaining northerners.

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:42am On May 07, 2013
dabrake: How e take concern me if dem kill abokis? For the survival of 80 million southerners, we can do away with the remaining northerners.
sadist
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by KingsleyOGBITI(m): 9:43am On May 07, 2013
We are waiting for their report.
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:44am On May 07, 2013
One_Naira:

So you don't know USA is one of the countries sponsoring Israel in their constant killings and attack against Iran or you weren't aware the US senators mentioned they plan to go to "war" with Iran if isreal goes to war With Iran. Keep up with times my friend.

Let me say it again: Somalia, Iraq, Afghan and now Iran had USA rivals as their friend, pray tell what good did it do or is doing? Advice for Nigerians: get ready for your own liberation. USA has set their eyes on that country, get ready.
dude, iran's case is different, you shouldn't include them in that category
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by oilsuop: 9:44am On May 07, 2013
One_Naira:

you contradicting yourself,those 12 containers of ammunition from Iran what do you think Iran is planing for nigeria undecided
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:46am On May 07, 2013
Lol, I dey laugh. Slowly we are getting there..... Who will probe the USA for the massacre of innocent children and women in iraq and nato in libya?

2 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:49am On May 07, 2013
I wish GEJ had abacha's psyche sad
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by executinal(m): 9:49am On May 07, 2013
wink wink

5 Likes

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:52am On May 07, 2013
sheyie2007: I wish GEJ had abacha's psyche sad
Gaddafi version 2 angry
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:52am On May 07, 2013
gboss4sure: Lol, I dey laugh. Slowly we are getting there..... Who will probe the USA for the massacre of innocent children and women in iraq and nato in libya?

I tire o. Dont mind them.
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Chasitty001: 9:56am On May 07, 2013
What happens when the team discover the truth?

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 9:57am On May 07, 2013
Chasitty001: What happens when the team discover the truth
sanctions.. what else?
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Parnassuss(m): 10:02am On May 07, 2013
So its now US 'big bro' of A? Wetin concern USA and human rights abi dem don solve sequester problems finish? Let the HRC do its job without bringing in foreign powers to infringe on our sovereignty.
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:02am On May 07, 2013
Dis changes nothing, the Nigeria gov is determined to rid Nigeria of Terrorism as America can understand.

Abi no be the same America put Nigeria on terror watch list in 2010.
Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by firetrap(m): 10:04am On May 07, 2013
One_Naira:

been telling my friends the same thing for quite a while now. very soon we will start hearing of how our people are being oppressed and then they'll say we have weapons of mass destruction and chemical weapons and all whatnot just to justify their "liberation". Nigerians wakeup and smell the bullshyt before shyt hits the fans

1 Like

Re: US Sends Team To Probe Baga Killings by Nobody: 10:04am On May 07, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Dis changes nothing, the Nigeria gov is determined to rid Nigeria of Terrorism as America cabn understand.
true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The North Must Stop Bombing Nigeria & Blaming Jonathan. - Prof Wole Soyinka / If Elections Are Held 100 Times , Mark Will Always Win -PDP Tells Onjeh / Nigeria Must Be Prepared For Future Where Oil Has Little Value,osinbajo Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.