Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... (41400 Views)

Fans Accuse Annie Idibia Of Bleaching / Nigerian Female Celebrities Accused Of Bleaching (photos) / Is Ghanaian Actress, Joselyn Dumas The Sexiest (nollywood + Gollywood) Actress? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 10, 2013
baby_123:

But i go to the spa every 6weeks. Why i never upgrade ok o.

Who's to say you've not upgraded?
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 10, 2013
Am I the only one who doesn't see a bleaching difference in Yvonne's pictures?

Na wa o.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 10, 2013
50calibre:

Hahahaha! No I'm normal. Aggressive and into S&M damn! You are a vixen, I would relish punishing you.

LoL :-P normal is boring jare. *catwalks away*
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 8:59pm On May 10, 2013
stillwater:

Who's to say you've not upgraded?

I look at myself, i have not changed. Even the full body scrub. Nothing i cannot get from a body shop and do myself at home. The environment and the professional products are good to remove sun spots over time and for relaxation. I dont get lighter, i remain the same.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

Na wa o.

Lol, I could post my pictures to trash and kick their arguments to the curb but I won't. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

Na wa o.

Nope, you're not. There are others like you out there.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Idowuogbo(f): 9:00pm On May 10, 2013
rokiatu: Why is Tonto so damnnn shapeless? I would never have an ere...ction with that if I was a man. undecided undecided undecided undecided
She's finer dan u tho! tongue
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 10, 2013
jasper7:
Hehehehe. Are your fingers having a Brazilian hair fetish? cheesy

LOL :-)
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 10, 2013
Can someone explain this to me? What's the difference between lightening a picture to make it appear Caucasian and lightening the skin to make it appear caucasian?
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by jasper7(m): 9:01pm On May 10, 2013
tinkinjo: We straighten our hair, wear wigs and all sort of extended hair products: You hear them say "love your hairdo!" Some even begged "can I touch it?"

We drop our accents and take up the American or the English and they all enthused: "Oh what a great accent you have!"

...no one chastised us but all encouraged us. Most even sponsor us.

Then we lighten our skin and they start screaming "what have you done to your skin?"

...I mean What hypocrisy!
You comment is absolutely baseless. Nice Accents sound good, long flowing hair looks nice. If you can just point out anything nice or good about a bleached skin with patches of plenty colors and your comment will make sense. It's just like saying "They said I am hot, so I decided to fall inside fire" BASELESS
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by cold(m): 9:01pm On May 10, 2013
Yvonne Nelson fires back at her critics
I fully understand the dangers of skin bleaching and would not engage in any such venture. I am a lady and I appreciate my God-given looks.
I do not need to change my skin colour for any reason and I do not see how and why an adult male would come out with such thoughts and even have the courage to run round with such stories in public when there are more productive things to think about.
Truth is that even if I was bleaching, I do not owe Chris Vincent an explanation, but I am not bleaching, I have not bleached and I won’t bleach.
I love my skin just the way it is and I do my best to keep it healthy and nice.
If God has remained good to me and continues to make my skin nicer, I do not see how it should be a problem to someone.
In a society that largely frowns on skin bleaching, it would be unfair and very unkind to falsely accuse me of bleaching when I am absolutely innocent of that charge and I just hope people who know Chris Vincent would draw his attention to this.
As an actress I take different pictures under different shades of light and with different shades of makeup depending on what the picture would be used for.
It is therefore not strange to find different pictures of me looking different. It does not mean I am bleaching and one does not need to be an industry player to know this.
Even in movies, depending on who the director is, there are different lighting angles and brightness levels that can be used to make a character look different and this is no secret. Even a change of weather can have an effect of one’s skin.
I want to use this platform to assure all persons who have expressed worry about these reports that there is no cause for alarm because I am not bleaching, have not bleached and would not bleach.
I hope Chris Vincent would be gentleman enough to do the honorable thing.
There are more prudent and beneficial things to focus on and these frequent distractions are of no use.
I should have spent this time focusing on my new movies or memorizing my next script and not responding to false gossips from an adult male.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 10, 2013
Idowuogbo:
She's finer dan u tho! tongue

And you think you opinion matters to me because?

1 Like

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 10, 2013
baby_123:

I look at myself, i have not changed. Even the full body scrub. Nothing i cannot get from a body shop and do myself at home. The environment and the professional products are good to remove sun spots and relaxation. I dont get lighter, i remain the same.

You don't look brighter after all those spoiling? shocked shocked shocked Another Sudanese in the building y'all. grin grin grin grin *Joking* Na joke abeg! kiss grin Don't kill me!!! grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:03pm On May 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Can someone explain this to me? What's the difference between lightening a picture to make it appear Caucasian and lightening the skin to make it appear caucasian?

Lightening a picture is temporary and used for whatever goal photographer and customer want to achieve. Lightening the skin is permanent. Like Beyonce, her pictures are very retouched. They always photoshop for her to look almost caucasian. But when you see her regular pictures, you realize she is not that light.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Idowuogbo(f): 9:03pm On May 10, 2013
rokiatu:

And you think you opinion matters to me because?
Because...u beefing a cute chic.player hater! tongue
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

It depends on who is taking the picture and how the camera functions.

I get your point 100% and I find bleachers like Tonto Dike a lil weird but let's not get carried away.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 10, 2013
jasper7:
You comment is absolutely baseless. Nice Accents sound good, long flowing hair looks nice. If you can just point out anything nice or good about a bleached skin with patches of plenty colors and your comment will make sense. It's just like saying "They said I am hot, so I decided to fall inside fire" BASELESS

Read her posts again. She's not claiming that bleaching is okay.
She's pointing out hypocritical criticism.
"Nice hair" (weave)
"Nice accent" (American fake accent)
"Lightened skin" (Bleaching is disgusting)

What I assumed that she's trying to point out is that doing any of the above is unnatural, but some are commended while others are reprimanded.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:05pm On May 10, 2013
stillwater:

You don't look brighter after all those spoiling? shocked shocked shocked Another Sudanese in the building y'all. grin grin grin grin *Joking* Na joke abeg! kiss grin Don't kill me!!! grin grin grin

The effects are temporary. Spa products do not lighten you. A brightner, doesnt last more than a few days. They may help you learn to take better care of your skin, but you dont become even 2 shades lighter than your original complexion. Except you are very sunburned. Now if they go in there for lightening procedures, then yes, its possible. Some spas have them.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 10, 2013
baby_123:

Lightening a picture is temporary and used for whatever goal photographer and customer want to achieve. Lightening the skin is permanent. Like Beyonce, her pictures are very retouched. They always photoshop for her to look almost caucasian. But when you see her regular pictures, you realize she is not that light.

All in all, still the same mental "slavery"; Light skin is preferred.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

It depends on who is taking the picture and how the camera functions.

I get your point 100% and I find bleachers like Tonto Dike a lil weird but let's not get carried away.

They're all bleaching and it's weird.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 10, 2013
Even Pawpaw from Aki and PawPaw is bleaching.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 10, 2013
^^^^oooooook.

I think I'll be leaving you to your devices at this point.

Enjoy!
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by cold(m): 9:13pm On May 10, 2013
I think I'll just leave this here..
Nigeria's dangerous skin whitening obsession

Nigeria has the world's highest percentage of women using skin lightening agents in the quest for "beauty".
Lagos, Nigeria - After carefully washing her face, legs and arms, Taiwo Solomon vigorously rubs cream over her body. She is meticulous and makes sure she covers her entire face. Soloman, 32, is bleaching her skin. She believes fairer skin could be her ticket to a better life. So she spends her meager savings on cheap black-market concoctions that promise to lighten her pigment.

This has been a daily routine for the past 15 years. Now several shades lighter she says her new skin makes her feel more beautiful and confident.

“Bleaching just makes me feel special, like am walking around in a spotlight,” she told Al Jazeera. “I am not seeking to be totally white, I just want to look beautiful. I cannot stop using the lightening agents,” she adds.

Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

In many parts of Africa, lighter-skinned women are considered more beautiful and are believed to be more successful and likely to find marriage.

It's not only women though who are obsessed with bleaching their skins. Some men too are involved in the practice.

Conceptions of beauty

Lightening creams are not effectively regulated in Nigeria where even roadside vendors sell tubes and plastic bags of powders and ointments from cardboard boxes stacked along sidewalks in market districts. Many of the tubes are unlabelled as to their actual ingredients.

"An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it. "

In a market in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, business is booming for shops selling skin-lightening products. Both local and imported products line the shelves of Rashida Lawal’s cosmetics shop.

"About 90 percent of my clients come asking for skin whitening products," she told Al Jazeera. "I sell it to them and give advice on what product is best for them and how to use them."

She says most of her customers are in a great haste to lighten their skin.

“Taking the color of your skin to different colour has to be gradual. It's not something you decide one day that 'I want to be fair, I want to be like Michael Jackson and you become Michael Jackson all of a sudden'. That is why we have to advise them first before selling it to them” said Lawal.

Rashida and her staff also mix different ointments and creams for customers “depending on the desired level of lightness”.

Famous Nigerian Musician Femi Kuti says the use skin-lightening products have given rise to their own terminology.

“When the bleaching propaganda got so negative, they had to come up with toning. Bleaching sounds too hard, now it’s toning. I don't bleach, they say, I tone!”

“They think bleaching is gege,” he told Al Jazeera, using a Nigerian term for cool.

Femi attributes skin bleaching to a feeling that foreign products and images must, by definition, be good.

“An African will prefer to be called John-Philip. If you said your name was Chukwu Emeka Afongkudong they will say you are from the village. You are backward. How can you have such a name? We really look down on our culture and heritage instead of being proud of it,” he laments.

Dangerous consequences

Skin bleaching comes with hazardous health consequences. The dangers associated with the use of toxic compounds for skin bleaching include blood cancers such as leukemia and cancers of the liver and kidneys as well as severe skin conditions.

Hardcore bleachers use illegal ointments containing toxins like mercury, a metal that blocks production of melanin, which gives the skin its colour, but can also be toxic.

Ayobode Williams, a medical doctor, says the skin bleaching agents have both internal and external effects on those who use them.

“Systemically it causes things like kidney failure because of the mercury in some of the products and it also causes eczema, skin pigmentation among a host of other infections,” he told Al Jazeera.

Dr Williams warned that sustained use of bleaching agents could cause even cancer.

Yet few seem to pay attention to these dangers. For those who bleach, staying black is not beautiful at all.

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20134514845907984
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 10, 2013
baby_123:

The effects are temporary. Spa products do not lighten you. A brightner, doesnt last more than a few days. They may help you learn to take better care of your skin, but you dont become even 2 shades lighter than your original complexion. Except you are very sunburned. Now if they go in there for lightening procedures, then yes, its possible. Some spas have them.

Yvonne is not even two or ten shades lighter. I just see a girl who is taking care of herself well. When you have money it shows on your body unless you can't be bothered. We can't even compare Genevieve of the 90's or early 2000's to now. The skin is brighter and sharper. By bright I don't mean light.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:16pm On May 10, 2013
stillwater:

Yvonne is not even two or ten shades lighter. I just see a girl who is taking care of herself well. When you have money it shows on your body unless you can't be bothered. We can't even compare Genevieve of the 90's or early 2000's to now. The skin is brighter and sharper. By bright I don't mean light.

Yvonne is two shades lighter. Being bright, doesnt last except you use a brightner consistently. And of course they are using lighter make up. But yvonne did change. She was not brown she was dark skinned. Genevieve did not change. Her complexion is still the same. grin. She and yvonne were the same color, but you cannot say that anymore if you look at her NOW pics.LOL.
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:20pm On May 10, 2013
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 10, 2013
^^^ She's been using that bleaching creme called "Lightening" grin cheesy grin
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:24pm On May 10, 2013
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Idowuogbo(f): 9:24pm On May 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by baby124: 9:26pm On May 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
grin grin grin

She is using a good cream sha. The thing blends well. The change is drastic. She was genevieve's complexion now haba. Anyway, let me not show any more pictures. But she needs to take things easy and maintain the one she has. Anymore bleaching will really show. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by jasper7(m): 9:27pm On May 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Read her posts again. She's not claiming that bleaching is okay.
She's pointing out hypocritical criticism.
"Nice hair" (weave)
"Nice accent" (American fake accent)
"Lightened skin" (Bleaching is disgusting)

What I assumed that she's trying to point out is that doing any of the above is unnatural, but some are commended while others are reprimanded.
I quite understood what she meant.
Brazilian hair, Peruvian hair, Weave, Arificial hair (All foreign, Unnatural But NICE)
British, American, French, Russian Accents (All foreign, Artificial But NICE)
Bleaching, Toning, lightening, photoshop or whatever (All foreign, Artificial, Harmful to health, Disgusting, irritating and eyesore-ish(in most cases), confusing, patchy, cancer vector e.t.c)
You might classify all of them as vain (which they all are). But some vanity dont affect your well-being (accents, hair, jewelries, some kinda make-up e.t.c), while others are as deadly as bathing in hydrochloric acid (BLEACHING, severe/extreme Tattoo-ing, Plastic surgery e.t.c).
My personal belief is, "if it's not better than what you got now, don't buy it". It makes no sense for me to throw away my soft Igbo accent, just to end up speaking like an arabian undecided
Re: Nollywood/Gollywood Actresses Suspected Of Bleaching ..... by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 10, 2013
Solomon is not alone. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 77 percent of women in Nigeria use skin-lightening products, the world’s highest percentage. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 percent in Senegal. The reasons for this are varied but most people say they use skin-lighteners because they want "white skin".

I don't believe they aim for 'white skin'. They wanna get the mixed race color. grin Who really wants to look White? undecided Even White people tan to have that mixed race color. grin
Also, most people just buy creams any how and are unaware of what they contain.
Many naturally lightskinned girls feel to maintain their color they have to use these products.
For the dark skinned ones that bleach, err girl gotta attract black men. cheesy cheesy cheesy
People should learn to read products and look out for mercury and hydroquinone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Korede Bello's Lecturer Threatens To Resign Over Absence From School / Joke Silva Celebrates Her 59th Birthday With Stunning Pictures / Davido Gifts Isreal DMW's Fianceé ₦500k For Airtime (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.