Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,423 members, 7,819,522 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service (14091 Views)

Check Sign On Camry Dashboard / FRSC Advocates Use Of Bicycles As Alternative Means Of Transport / What Does The ABS Sign On Dash Board Means (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by mbhs139(m): 10:59pm On May 12, 2013
slap1: Maybe driving passengers and an empty bus is not the same, and the guy wants to learn how to drive passengers.

this is more like it; and have seen such with red brt buses, though without passengers. you know, they are two different things entirely; driving with or without passengers.

@op, you no get sense at all. should have thought about that before. it's not everything and every time you come online to rubbish government.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Qtsnow(m): 11:02pm On May 12, 2013
will you give a truck to someone that can only driver a carina E
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by akinsadeez(m): 11:08pm On May 12, 2013
I have been on some of the buses especially the mokola- challenge route. I think the bus initiative is a laudable one. Training drivers is d right thing to do IMO.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by akinsadeez(m): 11:08pm On May 12, 2013
ollybosieb: This one was full of passengers without and instructor.

Is it from the back seat of the car that the OP was able to ascertain that there wasn't an instructor in the bus, abi how come? undecided
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by erico2k2(m): 1:21am On May 13, 2013
Kalif: Well I think a learner shouldn't be on a public lane,dazul!
where are learners suppose to learn then?
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by lastpage: 3:01am On May 13, 2013
supaeagles:
exactly. we cannot jump into conclusions based on just one picture. we do not know if actually there were passengers inside.....and even if there were passengers it is not a big deal. Even inside plane sef sometimes junior pilots do the landing and if it is a rough landing the pilot will make a announcement explaining the situation.
You have been doing "fine" until the last few sentences!

1.) You dont carry passengers, WHILE LEARNING TO DRIVE. Its against the law!
Let us distinguish between someone "learning how to drive" (as in under DRIVING INSTRUCTION, by an instructor) ...
...and a "learner driver", ( a driver who is NOT YET PERFECT in his driving but has undergone the "basic driving instruction", from an instructor).

The difference between the two, as you may have noticed is that the latter knows the basics of driving while the former is "just being trained on that basics".

When you finish your "learner driver training", you are given a "learner certificate" to show that you have undergone the "basic training" which makes you or elevates you above the level of an "untrained rookie", who if allowed to take the driving wheel, is a danger to himself and other road users ... NOW IMAGINE IF SUCH PERSON ALSO HAS "PASSENGERS"?!
GOD FORBID!!

As for the "London example", those drivers you see with the L-Sign on their buses are:
a.) Fully Qualified Drivers (they have done the theoretical part and passed, they have done the "practical driving test" on the road and PASSED as well).

b.) Now, they want to "step-up" to driving a BUS, (which is a "public Service Vehicle and a BIG ONE for that matter"!)

c.) They need ADDITIONAL TRAINING to amongst which, teach them how to properly manoeuvre a BIG VEHICLE (as against the small car they used in learning and getting their Driver's License)

d.) Get familiar with the road, the route and the possible dangers they may face, in doing their Bus Driving work.
Bear in mind that any "small mistake" on their part can result in multiple accidents and possible death.

Dont compare them to our own Molue-Driver or BRT that any TDH(Tom, Dike and Hillary!) can just wake up and drive, plunge into the Third Mainland Lagoon or Majidun River and we all cry and go back to the same thing!

As for your "Pilot analogy", when the plane reaches certain height in the sky, the "needs and risks are lesser".

WELL TRAINED PILOTS (not learners Pilots.... but "Junior" Pilots, like you said) are given the opportunity to "improve on their practical experience" under the keen eyes of a senior Pilot, ... (and in situations which he has evaluated to be of minimal risk to all involved), to "try it" in real life situations.
This is different from putting somebody like me in the cockpit simply because l want to learn to fly, and l am told to "land a 747" with 300 people on board!

Jeezus Christ, dont cause panic with this your thinking, for the next set of passengers! grin grin

As for the BUS in the picture, l am sure they are not that foolish to put passengers inside the Bus, while the Driver is "a rookie learner" (as in just learning to drive!).
The Bus MUST be empty, the driver must be very experienced in driving but learning to manoeuvre a BUS, as part of his employment training.

But this is Nigeria sha, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! wink

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by supaeagles(m): 4:15am On May 13, 2013
@lastpage- I agree with your points.......but I have seen "experienced" drivers drive worse on our roads grin . I still believe the transport authority should be commended for alerting other drivers about the situation.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by dramendra: 5:20am On May 13, 2013
If this was done, some agbero driving BRT won't be bashing small cars as many of them are doing... @Op sorry you are not gona get that weird responds you want...
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by dramendra: 5:21am On May 13, 2013
dramendra: If this was done, some agbero driving BRT won't be bashing small cars as many of them are doing... @Op sorry you are not gona get that weird responds you want...
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Mystery11(m): 5:57am On May 13, 2013
@OP

Putting learner sign on the bus is not the issue.For me I have a big issue with the learner carrying passengers immediately he started learning which he could not have done as of then.
But if he has learnt for some time, say three weeks, and still retains the sign, I dont fink it is bad but nobody knows the actual status. embarassed embarassed
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by ini4brandon(m): 7:10am On May 13, 2013
daywatcher: is there an instructor guiding the driver? Is he/she carrying passengers? the back of the nus does not tell us anything.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by ini4brandon(m): 7:19am On May 13, 2013
daywatcher: is there an instructor guiding the driver? Is he/she carrying passengers? the back of the nus does not tell us anything.
ask him o. we have seen wackier n more convincing pics online in developed countries...does it imply they(u.s,u.k,canada,)are failed states. Guy u used the wrong pics./platform to prove ur political point. Go searching for an overflowing public dustbin maybe that'll move us.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by ibraivory: 7:31am On May 13, 2013
omodapson:

It seems you don't get the point here. Where else will you learn to drive if not on a public road but is it proper to do it with a vehicle being used to carry passenger?
yes,its proper. BRT also carry out training in Lagos. Mayb,d governor wants 2 employ drivers 2 drive deir new transport system bus.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Nobody: 7:57am On May 13, 2013
I can't see any passenger through the windows of that bus; Hence, it's not wrong!
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by lukaino(m): 8:54am On May 13, 2013
Nothing abnormal. Just a bus for driver training purposes. Lagbus has something like this. Doesn't mean driver is totally new to driving but may be new to Bus driving.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by fallingsky(m): 9:27am On May 13, 2013
These is a meaningless story, next.....
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by arosis(m): 9:39am On May 13, 2013
there wont be any passengers in the bus. the bus is actually used to train drivers for actual passenger buses.
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by bidexolumanish(m): 9:56am On May 13, 2013
SITogira: Please help me, i bought a new airtel modem but i dont know how to reharge and also how to get 3G bonus of new modem
na airtel office be this?
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Bofemsky(f): 9:57am On May 13, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

yes learning to drive is done in a public roads if it is from a driving school the vehicle have dual control
Did you read well? He's not talking about learning to drive on a public road; he's talking about learning to drive with a public transport system!
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Bofemsky(f): 10:02am On May 13, 2013
It doesn't matter if he's being guided by an instructor or not carrying passengers; the fact is learning to drive should not be done with public or commercial buses! If you want to learn how to drive, you either go to a driving school or use a private vehicle!
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Bofemsky(f): 10:05am On May 13, 2013
supaeagles:
exactly. we cannot jump into conclusions based on just one picture. we do not know if actually there were passengers inside.....and even if there were passengers it is not a big deal. Even inside plane sef sometimes junior pilots do the landing and if it is a rough landing the pilot will make a announcement explaining the situation.
As in really?
Re: Learner's Sign On A Public Transport Service by Freeopod(m): 12:16am On May 14, 2013
For exclusive neWs on ibadan click www.whatsupibadan.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Car Wars!Aston Martin Chiefs Mocks Rolls-Royce's £350k Phantom As Old-fashioned / 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo / Nwanneni's Road To Recovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.