Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? (9249 Views)

Man Puts Baby In Freezer To Stop Her From Crying / Why Do Men Literally Loose It When They Stop Putting Food On The Table / Boy-child or Girl-child, does it matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Ishilove: 9:31am On May 13, 2013
Once upon a time, a guy who has no job got married to a banker, despite his fears and several advices that it's not good to marry without a job. Every month the girl would give the guy her full salary of N135k after removing her tithe.
The guy would give the wife N20k for personal upkeep and the guy
determined what happened to the remaining money. This happened for three good years.

There was happiness in the family and the wife never refused to do her primary home duties for that 3 years, despite advice from friends that "you can't be paying the
bills and still be doing all the work". There was
a particular month the guy used about
N70,000 to travel from state to state for different
interviews. He finally got a job with a good firm in Port-Harcourt. His salary was
N600,000 monthly for a start. He bought his first
car (a brand new) for N4.5m, he gave his wife the car key, and continued to take public
transport to work for about two years.

Then he
bought the second car for N6 million. Then he
took the keys of the first car and gave his wife
the keys of the second car. They were very
happy. They eventually moved into their own
house after some few years.

One day, the wife
was looking for some documents. Then she
stumbled on a file carefullly hidden. When
she opened it, she saw her wedding picture
when she was very slim in the first page of the file. She then saw that the document
to the purchase of the land and every other
thing in the house were all written in her name! At the last page was the husband's
wedding picture and a note written by him:

"'MY WIFE IS ALL I HAVE GOT. NOT EVEN
THIS HOUSE WORTH N24M AT THE TIME I
BUILT IT IS MINE''.

This couple got married in 1998. Last
Sunday was their wedding anniversary with two
children a boy and a girl. True LOVE still
exists till this day. Are you sure the love you
have for Him/Her can be compared to this one you just read?

No matter what, remember you
choose each other first before any thing. It doesn't matter
who puts food on the table.

Ooookay...so I got this from a BBM broadcast. Well, personally I think this story is part-way corny bullshit. Some men will use the fact that their wives have well paying jobs to become lazy and swallow the spirit of the poverty of their father's house. Some others will forget the wives of their youth and poverty and will start flirting around in the instant they become financially well off, while some will use the excuse to become insufferably stingy: 'afterall madam is earning big bucks, so why should I give her bomboy's school fees...?'

I've heard many stories to this effect and I always shudder in horror when I read such stories that touch the heart.

But hey, what do I know? I'm unmarried so maybe the married folks here will be in a better position to speak grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Nobody: 10:02am On May 13, 2013
Seen the story before, in fact, I've seen it several times and I totally agree that it is emotionally-driven, corny BS. It's actually a large heap of nonsense. It would be lovely if the principles of life were different than they are but they aren't.

The man who cannot take care of a wife at least should not marry. When he can, he should if he wants to and when he does, he must do everything within his power to keep bringing home the bacon even if his wife owns 300 companies and is a billionaire. 'Cos thaz who we are, folks: MEN!

smiley

13 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by maclatunji: 10:08am On May 13, 2013
^LOL. Ishilove got the memo very late.
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by debosky(m): 10:30am On May 13, 2013
Does it matter? Sure it does - but to differing extents for different people.

In my view, both partners should contribute to 'bringing food' to the table.

If the woman thinks she should not contribute, she should not bother wasting money getting educated/prepared for work. She should just do the basics up till secondary school and have the university/other training money shipped to her hubby's house when she gets married.

However the couple can, of course, choose for one partner not to work because it suits the overall family goals. but this should not be the default starting point in my view.

A man should be able to play an important (but not necessarily dominant) role when it comes to finances - this is necessary in order to appropriately lead the home.

His income ideally should be sufficient to meet a basic level of needs for the family, but not necessarily be sufficient to meet their 'best' aspirations. That's why there are two (potential) income earners and not just one.

3 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by biolabee(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2013
Yes...It matters
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by thorpido(m): 11:58am On May 13, 2013
Nice story...if only things were ideal but it's not.
A man should try as much as he can to have an income that can take care of bills even if not all.
My advice to all men however is don't even forget the woman who started with you when it was small.

6 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by damiso(f): 12:04pm On May 13, 2013
As previous poster has said it matters to different people at varying levels.I personally believe BOTH parties are responsible for putting bread on the table but at varying degrees and at various times in the life of a family.Bread also means different things to different people.

I agree that a man should not shirk his responsibilities cos his wife earns more BUT (i am a woman) how fair is it that a wife earns 200k pounds,husband earns 50k pounds and the man is still expected to foot 100% of the family expenses simply because he is a MAN?Not fair IMO.And i dont want to hear the tired line of the man should make more money,life does not always work in certainties.In todays world,there is no gurantee that the man would DEFINITELY make more money.

7 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 13, 2013
The man has exclusive responsibility to provide for his family. That does not prevent him from harnessing his wife's help. Any true wife would know that her earnings are best entrusted to her husband (whom we assume to be a real man). The man can harness them to increase the fortunes of his family, but that makes the woman a help not a provider. She does not need to be a help and a provider at the same time.

Ultimately, the man is always be the one bearing responsibility for providing for the family. It is his natural place in the family. This is the only one of two things in which I agree with the story: that the woman gave over to her husband what she earned for him to administer it. That is only right and sensible and is praiseworthy whether the man's income is enough to cover all the family's need and go well beyond that or not.

The man must never sit back and bring in as little as possible only because his wife, for any reason, is able to bring in a lot. That is very unmanly.

2 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Ishilove: 12:32pm On May 13, 2013
Ihedinobi: Seen the story before, in fact, I've seen it several times and I totally agree that it is emotionally-driven, corny BS. It's actually a large heap of nonsense. It would be lovely if the principles of life were different than they are but they aren't.

The man who cannot take care of a wife at least should not marry. When he can, he should if he wants to and when he does, he must do everything within his power to keep bringing home the bacon even if his wife owns 300 companies and is a billionaire. 'Cos thaz who we are, folks: MEN!

smiley
WORD grin
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 13, 2013
It matters. Hardly can a man command a woman's respect without money. A lady can work and earn but the man should strive to keep something for upkeep. I believe that story is a work of fiction, it sounds ridiculous. Almost out of touch with reality. A man has nothing to boast for if he cant act like the man in the family by providing and catering for his family.

3 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 13, 2013
yes,it does . you don't expect your woman to feed you< do you? grin
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Afam4eva(m): 12:50pm On May 13, 2013
Ideally, the man is supposed to be responsible for putting food on the table because a man is more physically strong but in this era, i don't think it matters who the breadwinner is as long as both couples are contributing their own quota to the marriage.
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by yuzedo: 12:52pm On May 13, 2013
Huh, Ishihate, bro, did you wanted to say t......................... **sees Seun viewing thread** shocked lipsrsealed

..................... Ermmmm, I did not have any contribution to this topick! Is not me dat dey will banned for natin. Chairs! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry undecided

3 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by babarazy: 12:52pm On May 13, 2013
Am a bachelor....... i cook M̶̲̥̅̊y̶̲̥̅̊ mysef
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by effisyman: 12:53pm On May 13, 2013
The lady was under her parents roof and was being fed and cloth by them.

Any man who wish to take her away must be ready to shoulder those responsibilities too.

3 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Lilimax(f): 12:54pm On May 13, 2013
Who puts food on the table in a home does not matter provided the other partner shows appreciation regulary
and also encourage the person doing it.
Although it is the responsibity of the man to provide for his family but whereby the wife
is the bread winner so to say, nothing stops her from doing it.Afterall it is for the progress of the home wink
But in a situation whereby the husband is poor and proud, that is where problems come in.

1 Like

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Pelummy(f): 12:55pm On May 13, 2013
it matters alot, the question should b thrown to men. they hav their reasons attach to it
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Coldfeet(f): 12:56pm On May 13, 2013
In the beginning God created man to tend to other living things He created..........God saw that the work was too much for man to do alone so He created woman out of man to be a HELP mate!

Not to take over from man but to assist man.

And man must also realise that woman is there to help him only when the burden becomes too muchgrin

It is not in a womans nature to fend for man that's why we have a lot of complaints from men who say their wives no longer respect them simply because she puts food on the table.

No matter how rich your woman is as a man you MUST always give to her.

The moral of that story is woman assisted man in his time of need which is how God intended it and man gave it ALL back to woman which is also how God intended it.

4 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by clemz85(m): 12:56pm On May 13, 2013
okey o!
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Clemzy16(m): 1:01pm On May 13, 2013
diz wan na super story jooo!! As a man, no go fnd job..dey except mak ur wife dey feed u nd d family..she no go only lack respect for u buh she go dey use yhu lyk shiit!!
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by lifestyle1(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2013
angry
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by segzicres(m): 1:07pm On May 13, 2013
We are in the new age, alotta things have changed......all those rules were created by our fore-fathers. We the modern race have to create our path. Both should contribute.....as far as I'm concerned...they are in the marriage together.

1 Like

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:08pm On May 13, 2013
If i am ur father and u keep giving ur salary to a man like dt, i will dis own u.
If i am ur God, i will kill u.

1 Like

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 13, 2013
there are not standards for relationships..each relationship must do what works for it......Ill tell you that a lot of marriages and relationship fail because the want to be like others....as long as there is understanding do what you want....

2 Likes

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by HARDDON: 1:18pm On May 13, 2013
like Ihedinobi rightly said : daz who we are: MEN!

made to provide, protect and procreate.

We are but MEN

Made to mark. fashioned through rough turf. Still we stand.

under the sun or in the rain,
through the raging sea or the world's fall

we cant fret, we cant quake we stand TALL and we wade strong!

for once we were MEN.
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by gunners160(m): 1:20pm On May 13, 2013
SLIDE waxie: If i am ur father and u keep giving ur salary to a man like dt, i will dis own u.
If i am ur God, i will kill u.
thank God u re nt d ladie's father nd also thank God u re nt God so because of ordinary self scarifice u want 2 kill sumthing u kannot create u wicked ooo remenber dis life is a small world 2day u mite hv nd tomorrow u wuld b beggin person wey e no go 4 ham 4rm jan 2 dec may b just 31st of dat dec his/her story kan change human beings!!!na God go get mercy on us
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by LFJ: 1:21pm On May 13, 2013
Ishilove: Well, personally I think this story is part-way corny bullshit. Some men will use the fact that their wives have well paying jobs to become lazy and swallow the spirit of the poverty of their father's house. Some others will forget the wives of their youth and poverty and will start flirting around in the instant they become financially well off, while some will use the excuse to become insufferably stingy: 'afterall madam is earning big bucks, so why should I give her bomboy's school fees...?'

I've heard many stories to this effect and I always shudder in horror when I read such stories that touch the heart.

But hey, what do I know? I'm unmarried so maybe the married folks here will be in a better position to speak grin

If you marry with this type of thinking, there will be need for special prayer for such marriage to be successful. If you chose the right partner, there is no need to fear.
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by everyday: 1:22pm On May 13, 2013
Yeah sure it does.A man unable to feed his family can be called a very useless man in Nigeria
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by DANADAMS1: 1:23pm On May 13, 2013
Seen dis story be4.wow is all I can say..is dis story real at all.coz seems like just a figment of imaginations.I dnt think such scenarios exist
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by kemisuga(f): 1:25pm On May 13, 2013
Many men are unappreciative. The man in the post was just God fearing, that's why he paid back her wife.

I have heard from my married friends and seen a lot of men in these same position, whereby it is d wives working and earning. The wives rented the house, furnished it, put food on the table, yet no encouragement nor appreciation, still cheat and beat their wives.

Amongst the men that God has blessed financially now, are getting more concubines. Forgetting, their first wives that suffered on their behalf. Six out of them has even gotten another wives.
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by adconline(m): 1:28pm On May 13, 2013
Tales by moonlight.. Odds of this happening in your life 1 out of 10million
Re: Who Puts Food On The Table: Does It Matter ? by grandpoh(m): 1:36pm On May 13, 2013
I dnt care wu brings food 2 d table as long as love,trust nd d understanding z dere den wot else.....ppl nid 2 undastand dat we r in d nw age it z only in nigeria its a mans responsibility most of which z due 2 religion nd cultural settings!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife's Weird Request / ... / Prayer Points For The Launching To 2008 " No Carry Over"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.