Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? (17592 Views)

He is offended by my way of greeting - advice needed / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by cold(m): 5:45pm On May 14, 2013
I think it's a cultural thing like someone alluded to earlier coupled with a feeling of superiority.For instance,in the UK a 10 year will have no qualms greeting you 'hi matey'.Try that one for naija na if you no chop hot slap. So in essence,if they don't appreciate your form of pleasantry try something different and more 'polite'

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by igemi(f): 5:47pm On May 14, 2013
Really is a sign of greeting bt in our culture is not allow
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by EmmyDe25(m): 5:48pm On May 14, 2013
Oga, in a contemporary African society, the word is rude when been said to someone who is older than you. Maybe, we should in a way make this practical..... when next u wanna greet a older broda or sister, just tell them how are u since its a form of greeting and see what their reaction would be like.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by laivwire(m): 5:48pm On May 14, 2013
yuzedo: reach mens dont care how u greeet dem. i saw my nebor alika dangotti in Banana Island so i say hey danny boy, wazzap, he say, am fine bro, but af not eat in 3 days. see? is only pour man dat hav natin dat always strogle for respeckt from small small childs. undecided undecided angry
, don't you get tired of this, its kinda soundin dated

@op, 'how are you' is actually cool when coming from a friend or an older person but from someone younger? That's definitley gonna piss me off especially if I said hi first. 'How do you do' would be a better response.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by toriade: 5:48pm On May 14, 2013
I think few people just get it wrong by trying to read "cultural" meaning to certain English words. In Birmingham UK, the usual way of greeting people is by using either of these "You alright?" "Are You alright?".

Imagine that?....lol. Bet you don't want to greet a visitor from Nigeria that way.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by VMF(m): 5:50pm On May 14, 2013
I find it offensive! As if one is still a toddler!

2 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by oliidell(m): 5:50pm On May 14, 2013
igemi: Really is a sign of greeting bt in our culture is not allow

Make Seun catch u

2 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 14, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
oliidell:

Make Seun catch u
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by happynwa(f): 5:52pm On May 14, 2013
Rem saying to mi ex nd God he flare up as if I insulted him, but anyway I made him understand that it wasn't nd he got so used to it dat I could ask him How re u even b4 greeting him. lol
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by manosteel(m): 5:53pm On May 14, 2013
In English Language, 'How do you do' is a greeting and not a question. That is why it is wrong to end it with a question mark (?). So when you tell someone 'How do you do' the actual response also should be 'How do you do'. I believe the same rule applies to How are you.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 14, 2013
Bawo ni__
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by successcertain: 5:55pm On May 14, 2013
Here in France we say comment ca va and is not rude. In English we say how is it going fam? which in yoruba means bawo lo senlo arami ? This are more polite .
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 6:00pm On May 14, 2013
blackmale: then if you re from yoruba as you ve said,, then am sure you will not greet your uncle with'' BA WO NI''.... or your older brother, i guess they wont like tht from you

You do make a lot of sense.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 6:02pm On May 14, 2013
Wow...these reponses are very revealing,

I said 'Good morning, how are you' to an obviously younger guy (his eldest brother calls me 'uncle') in church 2 days ago and he didnt answer me.

So obviously, even younger Nigerians take offense. Has nothing to do with age..but culture.

Na wah.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by georgee(m): 6:05pm On May 14, 2013
Our culture do not allow that. U must be respectful @all time. U cant be saying to someone who is way older than U , even some of ur age mate *How are U*. I wont even ansa such person. There is ds foolish neighbour of mine who is fonding of greeting me like that, i av told him to stop greeting me again (I am way older than him). He is frm the tribe that doesnt value respect that much.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by slap1(m): 6:07pm On May 14, 2013
In semantics, we say that it is used to establish what we call 'phatic communion or relation' with somebody. That literally means, to strike up a discussion.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 14, 2013
Im assuming you mean greeting elders? Either way it's nothing to get one's blood hot over, if you feel 'disrespected' calmly 'correct' them and get over it, especially if it was a genuine 'mistake' and they were genuinely unaware
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by habayommy: 6:21pm On May 14, 2013
yuzedo: reach mens dont care how u greeet dem. i saw my nebor alika dangotti in Banana Island so i say hey danny boy, wazzap, he say, am fine bro, but af not eat in 3 days. see? is only pour man dat hav natin dat always strogle for respeckt from small small childs. undecided undecided angry
Haba Tuxedo, why her you lieing upon border head na, even when he have dead. Ayam there When you greeted him these morning o, he holy saids he as not shit for one week undecided undecided Ayam vex with you o
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Sprumbaba: 6:24pm On May 14, 2013
Can you write this in English so that I can like your comment?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by uchennaode(m): 6:32pm On May 14, 2013
That is African mentality. Anybody asking you 'How are you' has your intreast @ heart.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Chinks(m): 6:41pm On May 14, 2013
@op, thank u for bringing up this topic for deliberation. I had a similar xperience recently in skull. There is this 100level female student dat whenever I say hi d nxt thing she wil cough out is "how re u". At first I didn't get offended but later on I stopped greeting her nd one day, she approached me nd asked y I ve nt been responding. I later told her she was rude in her greetings nd she apologised immediately because am far above her level. This is rampant amongs female folks.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Anvaller: 6:43pm On May 14, 2013
Relax ppl! I am surprised that we still take such a trivial thing this seriously. I don't get offended by anyone trying to be rude to me saying "how are u" I just see them as ignorant. Cos "how are u" is a polite form of greeting ppl...
But since majority get offended by it and Now here is my suggestion:
When u are greeted how are you by anyone, do not just reply by saying "I am fine" that is what most people do not wanna say because it makes them feel like a kid. Rather, say "I am fine and u?" or "I am doing good and how are u too" Originally, this is the most correct response to a "how are u" greeting. If u replied in the correct form, u would be exploring the opportunity of balancing things out because at that point the greeter is obliged to respond by saying "I am fine ... (full stop)" So if he replied, then that means no one is being rude here. If he didn't, it would be very obvious to both of you and any other witness around that he the greeter is in-fact very rude. That will make him feel uncomfortable no matter who the person is. He would not greet you how are u another time if his intention was to be rude cos now he has known for sure that u will throw the greetings back at him politely and that will make him look bad one more time.

2 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by emmabest2000(m): 6:55pm On May 14, 2013
how far is better than how are u or Nwanne kedu nke na emenu in Igbo language

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by chlowi(f): 7:01pm On May 14, 2013
The question How are you? Is not bad if it is asked in a polite manner and with sincere and genuine care or concern , most people just ask how are you without even taking a second to get the reply , why ask how are you when you don't wanna knw if the person is fine or not , ? That is when I consider it rude

3 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by malipalina: 7:04pm On May 14, 2013
i don't pick any offence on it,but how are you? however is inappropriate for your seniors.
good morning and how are you sir? this is OK for your elder/senior
or should the response for "how are you? be how are you too"
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nursy(f): 7:09pm On May 14, 2013
Pennywise: Every culture has its peculiarities and sensitivities and if you want to thrive in contemporary Nigerian society, do not go around arrogantly telling folks 'How are you"? What is wrong with 'Hello Good morning or hello good afternoon'. I personally will spit in your face. I am by nature very polite and respectful. I dont tell people "how are you". Please do not tell me how are you unless you deliberately mean to be disrespectful.

If you are the type that is fixated on 'how' perhaps 'how 'r you doing' might be what you need.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by alnaijiri(m): 7:10pm On May 14, 2013
What would be more offensive: "How are you?" or "How una dey?" Why?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Beautifulemi(f): 7:11pm On May 14, 2013
Not really. But there atimes when people reply with How are U, it is sometimes annoying. Imagine me greeting my mate, and he or she answers :how are you? Without even replying the greeting.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ogeelove(f): 7:12pm On May 14, 2013
I worked with an English lord a long time ago. It was always, good morning followed by lovely weather today or whatever kind of weather we had. I do not know why anyone would think 'how r u' is acceptable first greeting. I find it offensive and at par with this statement some of ma christian fellow use 'may GOD have mercy on u', now DAT really irritates me.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by purplekayc(m): 7:16pm On May 14, 2013
These sort of response is common with girls and women who don't have regard fro males...
Especially the spoilt one who have seen a lot of social life and have come in contact with several high profile men
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by cornel1900: 7:29pm On May 14, 2013
I'm sure op grew with his elders dts y he cant tell the diff between his mates and the older ones.

Ok, lets say u enta into ur dads presence on his way back from work, what will be ur 1st action? Welcome him? Or put him on enquiry?

Now, it is ur duty to welcome him while he will inturn ask after ur well being.

Thats y u dont take the intiative to ask the older ones "how are u"
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by aniiii(f): 7:37pm On May 14, 2013
]#]#]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy But True Facts About Culture / Northern Nigerian Women show off their Cultural Dance Moves. Nigerians reacts / Some African Proverbs You Suppose To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.