Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,241 members, 7,815,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? (17591 Views)

He is offended by my way of greeting - advice needed / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by NosaHenry(m): 7:42pm On May 14, 2013
How can you ever think of asking your senior How are you, for a greeting.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by StateOfMind: 7:44pm On May 14, 2013
purplekayc: These sort of response is common with girls and women who don't have regard fro males...
Especially the spoilt one who have seen a lot of social life and have come in contact with several high profile men

Na wa o..how gender take enter this matter na?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 14, 2013
Seriously? People find "how are you?" rude? shocked shocked shocked

I personally do not find it rude as long as you respond to my greeting before asking how I am....kinda like
Me: Goodmorning
You: Goodmorning Modella, how are you?

I don't see any big deal about it. People can create a big deal out of little things sha.

3 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by gbollykore: 7:50pm On May 14, 2013
if its going to bring about questions, why dont you avoid it completely, u may not mean any evil, but u need to be conscious of the environment u are in, personally if my mate says how are u to me, i see it as arrogance from the side of that person
i think u should say good morning , or afternoon or whatever
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by emekuze(m): 7:54pm On May 14, 2013
thr is notin wrong in it but is just dat some persns use that word to blitu othrs
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ayd91(m): 7:55pm On May 14, 2013
Personally, i prefer the phrase "how are you doing" to an ordinary "how are you".
May be its me being biased but its what i prefer.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ChiSun27(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2013
Abujafood: Don't mind people and their shallow reasoning!

How are you just means hope you're doing good, any harm in asking? That is how they say you must not use your left hand to give or collect something as if the left hand was not created by God!

OMG!!! God in H'vn knws dat I just argued dis left hand of stuff with my nebor ydy....n all dey wia sayn is dat it depicts respect...mesef i taya ooooooo!!!!! D same questn wey u ask na im me i stil ask....shey no b God create d left hand abi him ordaine d ryt hand special? N wat abt those dat r left handed?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by damselsdezire(f): 8:32pm On May 14, 2013
wink winkTo me, "how are u"is jst showing ur concern 2wrds d persn u're greeting. When u go 2 an office and u meet a respectful receptnist, she says good morning sir, ow are u dis mornin sir.but it depends anyways...som girls all in d name of provin levels says hi, or ow are u 2 their mates in a rude way & it pisses one off, so it depends on d tune of ur voice while sayn it.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Fussbot: 8:49pm On May 14, 2013
Sm1 younger dan me:how are u??

Me:am fine,how is mumy and daddy??

---------------------------------

Sm1 younger dan me:how are u BRO?

Me:I jst dey o aburo.. (Ynga1)

Shikena!
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Mystery11(m): 8:56pm On May 14, 2013
Lets not deceive ourselves.80% of Nigerians know that ''How are you'' is offensive.

I think it is a simple case.Personally, despite my exposure, I still find that greeting very offensive especially when it comes from someone not expected from.

Tell me ''How do you do" ''How things'' and ''How are you doing'' but for ''How are you'', you will not get
any damn reply from me.

If I am in a culture that does not call it anything,I will not call it anything but in Nigeria,Dont try it on me. cool cool

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 14, 2013
edited
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ceaz4r(m): 8:59pm On May 14, 2013
kokoye: I noticed our people dont take the greeting "how are you" very nicely. When you greet them and say "how are you", most would feel you are being disrespectful. I have experienced this several times - someone actually told me he wasnt a kid when I greeted him that way...and a few did not even respond.

When I say 'how are you' to someone, I'm just checking on them..and I expect the same kind of greeting in return.

Am I alone in this ...and why do you think 'our' people feel disrespected with such a greeting?

I think the subject of concern here is in the way it was said, not in the gesture. The gesture is a very welcome one, but some ppl like to sound superior saying it.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 14, 2013
ceaz4r:

I think the subject of concern here is in the way it was said, not in the gesture.

Aptly said!
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 14, 2013
Abujafood: Don't mind people and their shallow reasoning!

How are you just means hope you're doing good, any harm in asking? That is how they say you must not use your left hand to give or collect something as if the left hand was not created by God!
I was going to write something on the left hand ish... Some pple take it so personal that there reaction @ tymes will make you wish the ground could swallow you up, gush wtf is wrong with giving/taking with the left hand huh?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Hiringu: 9:55pm On May 14, 2013
Everything in life is subject to context.
In the typical Nigerian context, it might be perceived as disrespectful.
n the other hand, if you live in this society (US) the rude thing will be- not asking how someone is doing.

So, it really isnt about right or wrong, but context.

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road only makes sense in relation to what side of the road that country drives on. Get it?

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by jovichi: 9:56pm On May 14, 2013
Yorubas & their issues!

2 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Ninilowo(m): 10:17pm On May 14, 2013
javipee: If im older than the person then its rude to me. Gbam!!!!!No Story angry angry angry
When dem no even SWEAR for am. Hw will someone younger than me say that to me? O ri e ti buru niyen. Owo die die ni ara n fe now.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by AdeniyiA(m): 10:31pm On May 14, 2013
Seun,how are you?
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by donbazini: 10:49pm On May 14, 2013
AnanseK: I always welcome "how are you " a decent and very straightforward greeting. My reply is always "Very well, thank you" and may follow up with conversation or not. I hate people who ask me "How is your night?" I get annoyed and confused and never know how the respond to such senseless greeting.
, you can simply tel d person u had a good nite rest or rough
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by donbazini: 11:07pm On May 14, 2013
Don't see anytin wrong as dis can go both ways, hw are u, ans: am fine and u but be rest assured that I will be d one to ask you hw are u d next time we meet.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Dumkele1: 11:10pm On May 14, 2013
But i do hear a lot of yoruba people ask "ba wo ni sir?"
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 14, 2013
Thats africa mentality and culture 4 you..."How are you" seems rude when sayin it to an elderly 1....Africa mentality is Respect!Respect!Respect!,especially the yoruba elders.If u tel dem how are u,they can course u al day witout stoping.Their own greating u most make sure u bend til u knees,hands,stomach touches the ground...Like in america u can see a young guy working up to the elderly 1 to give a handshake,but if u try dat 1 4 9ja,u are gud as a bad child.Hahahaha
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by mydex93(f): 11:32pm On May 14, 2013
pekelepekele: How are you is very rude. In fact I will slap one teeth comot for your mouth , If you say that to me
How are you

3 Likes

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 14, 2013
I don't find "How are you" as a form of greeting rude, regardless of who greets me that way, younger or older. In the same way, I greet both younger and older people that way, and so far, I haven't had any adverse reactions.

I would greet an older Nigerian the same way too - I'm not a mind reader, besides how can I tell if they're older than myself? Nigerians claim they're singled out, and treated differently from their peers who may well be of a different race or culture. Yet they, by their very actions make themselves "different". Why would anyone want different rules created exclusively for themselves?

I just don't get it.

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 14, 2013
ceaz4r:

I think the subject of concern here is in the way it was said, not in the gesture. The gesture is a very welcome one, but some ppl like to sound superior saying it.
c dis 1 o...No matter the gesture you use to ask an elderly yoruba man 'how are you,he go course you...Thats when he wil Open his mouth wide as if he wants to swalow u n start sayin....aaahh omo ibo aaahh aaahh orie oti baje aaaahh aahh orie o fucka si aaahh omo jati jati.chai yoruba baba n mama dey funi o.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by ja2wa: 12:00am On May 15, 2013
Der's dis lady in my work place dat dnt take dis likely, I mean dis is jst a mere greetin, no 1 is being disrespectful.. My own is if I say dat and u rebuke it den I greet u no more.. Chikena
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Gudintent: 12:06am On May 15, 2013
Papa God na U ooooo

When I go find someone wey go ask how I dey

Na dat day ehen all my wahala go disappear

I go lay all my troubles for dem feet

Young or old I no mind

Cos na U Papa God I go dey serve ooooo
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by addicted268(f): 12:51am On May 15, 2013
Personally I don't find anything wrong with asking or being asked "how are you".if I talk to an older person,I ll say "how are you sir/ma" and if its online on over the phone,I add "are you having a good day?"(Though this depends on the rapport). a couple of times,my 5years old neighbor has asked me "aunty how are you"?I didn't find it insulting.I found it rather strange and sweet.I told her with a smile,"I'm fine onini,and you?" And she said fine. infact,anyone who greets me(irrespective of age) should be ready to hear "goodmorning,how are you",and anyone who asks me how are you should be ready to hear "I'm fine,thanks AND YOU"?that's my standard greeting.no big deal at all....and for how was your night,I'd rather say "did you sleep well?" or "did you have a good night rest?" (I don't wanna know the other details! tongue)
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by Immortal1(m): 12:59am On May 15, 2013
To a man respect means so much, & even more 2 a yoruba man. Be respectful & u'd win d heart of a yoruba folk. To me, 'how re u' is a wrong form of greeting cos d Older shud check up on d younger, & not d reverse. There is a student I mentor who always ask dat question whenever we re chatting, & I cringe whenevr I hear/read it. Lolzzz... I remember greeting a Director-General of an Organisation(Yoruba by tribe) 'hello Prof', & it didn't go well at all. Meanwhile, itz a sign of being more respectful in d university. We just need 2 know that respect means a lot to some people & they read it 4rm your every word & gesture. It could be harmless, but if ur aim is 2b respectful, then d other party's reaction should be all that matters 2u, & not if u don't see any problem with it. My one piece.
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by gagzee(m): 1:11am On May 15, 2013
My response??....well a nigga grits me 'hw r u' ma silent reply 'gay mofo'....and 4rm a younger grl, ma loud reply 'u no wan dey respect ur uncle abi??'
Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by antifat(m): 1:39am On May 15, 2013
Student:Good afternoon sir!
Lecturer:Oh! Good afternoon
Student:How are u?
Lecturer:am great

Any offence by d student?

1 Like

Re: How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? by kokoye(m): 2:13am On May 15, 2013
What our culture will do to us..

We wont take advice from a younger person...an advice that may save our lives

We wont take a job simply because the director is young enough to be our child

We wont accept things from a leftie

We borrow money to do funeral for the dead...we didnt even care about them when alive

Our leaders commit atrocities and we cant call them out.

....Maybe we need to put some part of this culture in check

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy But True Facts About Culture / Northern Nigerian Women show off their Cultural Dance Moves. Nigerians reacts / Some African Proverbs You Suppose To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.