Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,473 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night (24210 Views)

(PHOTO) "The Abobaku Of Ooni Of Ife Found And Will Be Buried Alongside The King" / Photo: The Abobaku, Man To Be Buried Alive With The Late Ooni / Late Ooni Of Ife To Be Buried On Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Parnassuss(m): 3:05pm On May 15, 2013
Its so sad that a man comes to this world and gives it a gift from God's very hand and all he gets for his efforts is vitriol and shameless taunts from ants not worthy enough to tie his boots.

Achebe was a beautiful human through and through, God bless him
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Okijajuju: 3:06pm On May 15, 2013
swtcharissa: . It all depends on where dey eventually find themselves....heaven or hell

The gods of our ancestors can never allow the spirit of our great son go to either the Jewish afterlife or the Persian afterlife. Achebe like his ancestors before him will take his seat in the council of the gods and preside over matters affecting his people. He shall be a spritual guide to Ndi igbo. A man of Achebes calibre is too big for your Jewish Heaven. Feel free to go to your heaven or hell, but leave Achebe out of that nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Okijajuju: 3:15pm On May 15, 2013
rukevwe sodje:
Which gods of forefathers?in this 21century?was he not a christain?wat about his children,are they not christains?why would he be buried in d evening?that is backwardness.

The same gods that kept your forefathers alive and united until some vagabonds amongst them sold their fathers gods to the white for mirrors and salt only to embrace the Jewish religion brought to them by the white man. It does not ammter who his children are or were, he whom the gods have chosen, that person belongs to them and Achebe has been chosen.

He will be buried at night in accordance with the same tradition that was set in place by his forefathers. A great man like him should be buried a night so that even the spirits can be in attendance and pay their respects as well. Only commoners are buried by day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by dayokanu(m): 3:20pm On May 15, 2013
Buried at night?

If I said I am surprised i would be lying
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Vivianbest: 4:28pm On May 15, 2013
Wooooow i wish i will have the chance to attend the burial. Hw i wise s wen am still in ogidi schooling.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by uncleiyke: 4:31pm On May 15, 2013
Na wah for this tradition that prohibits titled men to be burried during day time. Na only them sabi why they chose night or evening as the case may be. But have they been burrying other titled men as such or they are begining with Prof Achebe.
Personally I dont like that night of a thing but I would rather say "OMENALA NDI DIRI NDI" Mana Omenala na adiro mma kwesiri ka agbenwee ya.
R.I.P my Prof.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Okijajuju: 4:40pm On May 15, 2013
dayokanu: Buried at night?

If I said I am surprised i would be lying

angry
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:05pm On May 15, 2013
vanstanzy:

"Ignore him!!" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lmao! look whos talking! the one who started arguing with me in the first place. now you put your tail between me and ran away, eh? nincompoop. angry
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:07pm On May 15, 2013
rukevwe sodje:
Which gods of forefathers?in this 21century?was he not a christain?wat about his children,are they not christains?why would he be buried in d evening?that is backwardness.

THis is 21st Century . we dont need man-worship irreligions like christianity and islam.even europe is abandoning christianity and reviving Traditional Religion through Neo-Paganism.

No he was nto a christian. bacwardness is when you behave like a slave and worship a foreign master and pray to your Creator and Spiritual Forces in a foreign tongue using a foreign book.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:11pm On May 15, 2013
Okija juju:

The same gods that kept your forefathers alive and united until some vagabonds amongst them sold their fathers gods to the white for mirrors and salt only to embrace the Jewish religion brought to them by the white man. It does not ammter who his children are or were, he whom the gods have chosen, that person belongs to them and Achebe has been chosen.

He will be buried at night in accordance with the same tradition that was set in place by his forefathers. A great man like him should be buried a night so that even the spirits can be in attendance and pay their respects as well. Only commoners are buried by day.

OKIJA JUJU YOU ARE TRULY THE SON OF THE SOIL! WE NEED TO TALK THIS MATTER OUT SOMEDAY! WE WILL REVIVE TRADITIONAL RELIGION ACROSS NIGERIA! YOU ME & A HANDFUL OF CHOSEN ONES WILL SPREAD THE MOVEMENT AND LIBERATE THIS LAND OF OUR FOREFATHERS! WE WILL CONDUCT MISSIONARY WORK IN CHRISTIAN AREAS! AND THEN WITH OUR NEW FOUND CONVERTS, WE WILL LEAD A TRIBAL JIHAD IN THE MUSLIM AREAS! THE GODS ARE WITH US! WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU, I KNOW I HAVE SOME HOPE FOR OUR COUNTRY AND THIS WORLD.

VERY BEAUTIFULLY SAID! 1 GAZILLION LIKES!
cheesy
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Jman06(m): 6:11pm On May 15, 2013
I am sure u would have been better off if u had learnt how to blend Igbo culture and tradition with westernization just like Achebe and many others did,i am a living prove that being familiar with one's culture and tradition does not stop one from attaining whatever height in western civilization one wishes to reach,but unfortunately some supposed igbo parents even place a barn on igbo language and tradition in their homes while enslaving themselves to the culture and tradition of the white man.
orgasticdance:
I have igbo roots and at six I made a deliberate choice to "shy" away from its language and native customs purely out of selfish reasons: At six I could tell my native culture was not a world beater! Most of my friends spoke in a different language-- English. All the TV programs and cartoons that were coming up at 4pm were not using my native language therefore I decided there was no point clutching at a dying breed. English and French would give me more options in the world, I thought to myself. More than 20 years later do I have regrets? Nopes! nothing life damaging has happened; just the occasional situation when I can't converse in my native tongue, which happens very rarely. And all the moronic cultural unions/associations I see around in town I just shake my head at. My point is, I came into this world not as a Tiv or Fulani or Igbo man, I tumbled forth into this world as a human being, and I'll depart out of it as one.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by stanchez2000: 6:16pm On May 15, 2013
When is the date pls
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by stanchez2000: 6:45pm On May 15, 2013
Pls when is the burial date?
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by vanstanzy(m): 7:59pm On May 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Lmao! look whos talking! the one who started arguing with me in the first place. now you put your tail between me and ran away, eh? nincompoop. angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Revolva(m): 8:28pm On May 15, 2013
grin Yeah thats a real man..... and a traditionalist.....

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:29pm On May 15, 2013
vanstanzy:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i meant between your legs. tongue
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by lilyafaten: 9:01pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
Is he a farmer for him to be lied in state in the yam ban (Oba)?.
Omenana ndi dikwara ndi smiley
RIP Ikenga Ogidi.
I don't nooooo
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by manny4life(m): 9:13pm On May 15, 2013
Jman06: I am sure u would have been better off if u had learnt how to blend Igbo culture and tradition with westernization just like Achebe and many others did,i am a living prove that being familiar with one's culture and tradition does not stop one from attaining whatever height in western civilization one wishes to reach,but unfortunately some supposed igbo parents even place a barn on igbo language and tradition in their homes while enslaving themselves to the culture and tradition of the white man.

This is why I feel bad for many people who can't even speak Igbo. When they see me speak fluently, people think I'm FOB only to correct them, I'm not on same levels. My parents made it a DUTY to speak mainly Igbo at home even when we're at public places and you DARE NOT reply back in English. All these made me wanna seek my more about the cultures and tradition, I love my Igbo and ALWAYS damn proud of it.

When I once told my coworker that in summer, I'm gonna be rocking African attire to work, she thought it was the coolest thing, that was when I asked them if they knew Prof. Achebe, lo and behold, they did. It was taught as part of their curriculum in literature. I will ALWAYS remain Nigerian, onye Anambra si na Nnewi, regardless of where I am.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 15, 2013
orgasticdance:
I have igbo roots and at six I made a deliberate choice to "shy" away from its language and native customs purely out of selfish reasons: At six I could tell my native culture was not a world beater! Most of my friends spoke in a different language-- English. All the TV programs and cartoons that were coming up at 4pm were not using my native language therefore I decided there was no point clutching at a dying breed. English and French would give me more options in the world, I thought to myself. More than 20 years later do I have regrets? Nopes! nothing life damaging has happened; just the occasional situation when I can't converse in my native tongue, which happens very rarely. And all the moronic cultural unions/associations I see around in town I just shake my head at. My point is, I came into this world not as a Tiv or Fulani or Igbo man, I tumbled forth into this world as a human being, and I'll depart out of it as one.
so, if they leave u now, u are better than the igbos that speak both flawless English and Igbo like Achebe for instance. And its swaggery for u to be an alien in ur fatherland abi motherland this time? I mabeghi ihe i mere onwe gi.

Thats how my friend failed paediatrics because he didnt clerk his patient properly. The child's grandma couldnt speak english and my friend presented a poor history to d consultants. Though he grew up in Lag, a knowledge of igbo wouldnt have made him lose a year.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Beautifulemi(f): 9:52pm On May 15, 2013
RIP PROF! Just wish u could still write a book from the world beyond, it would ve been more than gr8.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Nicepoker(m): 9:57pm On May 15, 2013
vanstanzy: It was said he, would be buried towards evening and not night as the op makes it seem. People please get things right.
can we have ur own link?
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Jman06(m): 10:11pm On May 15, 2013
Keep it up my dear,good to know that some igbo sons and daughters like you still hold their heads high even while on a sojourn in the white man's land.May our ancestors guide you.
manny4life:

This is why I feel bad for many people who can't even speak Igbo. When they see me speak fluently, people think I'm FOB only to correct them, I'm not on same levels. My parents made it a DUTY to speak mainly Igbo at home even when we're at public places and you DARE NOT reply back in English. All these made me wanna seek my more about the cultures and tradition, I love my Igbo and ALWAYS damn proud of it.

When I once told my coworker that in summer, I'm gonna be rocking African attire to work, she thought it was the coolest thing, that was when I asked them if they knew Prof. Achebe, lo and behold, they did. It was taught as part of their curriculum in literature. I will ALWAYS remain Nigerian, onye Anambra si na Nnewi, regardless of where I am.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:14pm On May 15, 2013
Jman06: Keep it up my dear,good to know that some igbo sons and daughters like you still hold their heads high even while on a sojourn in the white man's land.May our ancestors guide you.

ikr! we are all proud of her. unlike that slave i$%#^t vanstanzy.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Ikenganri(m): 10:23pm On May 15, 2013
kagel: I REBULK EVERY SPIRITE OF ANTICHRIST CONTROLLING YOUR SPRITE, SOUL AND BODY IN JSEUS NAME! shocked
SOME ANAMBERIANS WITH DIABOLIC AND ALCUTIC MENTALITY WELL BIRDS OF THESAME FEATHER FLUW TOGETHER,
I PRAY YOU WILL NEVER DIE UNTILL YOU REPENT, AMEN AND AMEN
GOD LOVES YOU , JESUS DIED FOR YOU, THEN WHY WILL YOU DIE AND GO TO HELL? DEVIL YOU A LIAR
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ONPON YOU.
GO!!! AND SIN NO MORE cry
[
GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND
correction please! Pagan9ja is not an anambrarian. He is a northener.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by kalufelix(m): 10:58pm On May 15, 2013
Siena:

Dude, quit derailing, and let the tributes to the late Professor Achebe continue.
dat was just to measure hw uninformed u are...its shockin u knw.
I'l advice u just pretend next time okay?
Thank yhu
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by orgasticdance: 11:40pm On May 15, 2013
ngozievergreen:
so, if they leave u now, u are better than the igbos that speak both flawless English and Igbo like Achebe for instance. And its swaggery for u to be an alien in ur fatherland abi motherland this time? I mabeghi ihe i mere onwe gi.

Thats how my friend failed paediatrics because he didnt clerk his patient properly. The child's grandma couldnt speak english and my friend presented a poor history to d consultants. Though he grew up in Lag, a knowledge of igbo wouldnt have made him lose a year.
Well I have not claimed I am better than anyone who speaks igbo and english fluently. I'm just irritated by people who romanticize igbo or any other native culture as if not being able to speak your mother tongue makes you less human. I can understand why anyone would want to hang on to their traditional customs, but please don't tell me people don't have the right to learn or adopt whatever culture or language they so desire. Culture is transient, not static! There's a reason more lagos professionals and their kids are taking french and mandarin classes as opposed to trying to learn another Nigerian language! Isn't it almost laughable that you had to make your point in "another man's language". Why did it take your forefathers so long to write stuff down in your native language anyway? SMH. Go to your history books, without the "white man", there's no written igbo!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:42pm On May 15, 2013
^^^^^please just shut up. i hate hearing bullsh!t when Im having my food.
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by orgasticdance: 12:22am On May 16, 2013
^^can't u mount a better argument? Leave the hurt and petty traditional sentiment aside. I'm all for learning...
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Nobody: 12:27am On May 16, 2013
kalufelix: dat was just to measure hw uninformed u are...its shockin u knw.
I'l advice u just pretend next time okay?
Thank yhu

One reading your "informed" posts here could be forgiven for thinking you're abreast with everything that's taken place in Nigeria in the last 5 years.

But we know such an assumption would be wrong, don't we? No one has a monopoly when it comes to knowledge, and that includes you. There are things happening in your LGA in Nigeria you're not aware of, so I'd advice you wind your neck in, and quit whilst you're ahead. He who feels he knows everything, knows nothing.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by orgasticdance: 12:45am On May 16, 2013
manny4life:

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you were born in switzerland you'd be feeling bad for people who don't speak native schweizerdeutch over a popular european language, say german or french; meanwhile to you the rest of the world be damned because they don't speak schweizerdeutch. Dude just get over your provincial squemishness! If Igbo works for you ,fine!; but you have no right to lord it over anyone, not even your children!
Re: Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night by Nobody: 3:52am On May 16, 2013
^^^English and Mandarin are more popular than the Nigerian languages you relegate to the background because the English and Chinese do not reason like many Africans or Igbos, such as yourself.

You think that the Chinese did not consciously push back against the growing dominance of European languages in Asia? Why are they such great successes now, with sheep such as yourself clamoring to learn Mandarin?

The sad thing is that you think you are "smart" and "progressive" for that naive - no, stuupid post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / Western Culture Vs African Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.