Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,825 members, 7,862,716 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:38 AM

Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? (15404 Views)

Women What Action Will You Take on Your Husband In Such A Situation - photo / Types Of Husband: Men What Type Are You? Women What type Is Your Hubby?? / When Is A Brideprice Or Dowry Too "expensive" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 18, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Yorubas don't pay much like u said but d owambes,asoebi and d likes will still milk d man dry.
they ask him what he can afford.they dont force or compell him to do an extravagant wedding.if he can afford a small one and he will still be able to put food on the table after wedding,fine and if he can afford a big one too fine but no one puts pressure on the man.

though some men have abused this priviledge by marrying more than 1 wife since the bride price is cheap,unlike if he married an ibo bride and paid through his nose,he wont want to attempt wedding the 2nd time

3 Likes

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 7:35am On May 18, 2013
^^^Kulyie, is that a paragraph I'm seeing up there?? shocked lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 8:05am On May 18, 2013
bettymafy: ^^^Kulyie, is that a paragraph I'm seeing up there?? shocked lipsrsealed
lol cheesy what does it look like cheesy
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Rocktation(f): 12:49pm On May 18, 2013
My dear..

The man has to try oo. Any which way. You don't have to buy the best box listed. Just buy a box, biko.
That kind thing... undecided
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 18, 2013
Vikin:

It depends on the tribe, in kalabari..the bride price is damn expensive. Very expensive that you can go to borrow from bank!

Some people try to escape it though but if the lady should die, even at old age, they have to bury her in her home town!

Got friends there
na lie u lie.Maybe ur girl cheat u with her people.The bride price in kalabari land till date is about £35,and the marriage is broken into 3 namely:aibira emi(she dey my hand or she is livn wit me),igwa,and the dreaded Iya(this is mostly for men whose balls are made of fine steel and galvanised iron.This is were u are told to buy boxes of wrapper but if u have good inlaws they will bring out what they have and tell the larger community that u bought all that.
NB;if u marry a well to do family they will bring all that but if na poor kalabari girl u wan marry u go see hell ooooooooooo,
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by passionate88: 1:20pm On May 18, 2013
Why sm ladies no fit do collabo with the husband to b join pay d cash?. Must he pay everything?.
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Idowuogbo(f): 1:22pm On May 18, 2013
bettymafy: ^^^Kulyie, is that a paragraph I'm seeing up there?? shocked lipsrsealed
Jesus is Lord!!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by edrys(m): 1:23pm On May 18, 2013
freecocoa: My(our) own is not expensive at all, its just 1k and them go give you balance o.

They might just decide to take 5naira out of it and give you back 995 naira or the may take 999 naira and give you back 1 naira, it all depends on your inlaws but bottomline is, something must return to the groom to be from the 1k.

Oya suitors start coming cheesy.
I like your Signature grin
freecocoa: My(our) own is not expensive at all, its just 1k and them go give you balance o.

They might just decide to take 5naira out of it and give you back 995 naira or the may take 999 naira and give you back 1 naira, it all depends on your inlaws but bottomline is, something must return to the groom to be from the 1k.

I like your Signature 
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 18, 2013
I have no say... My father is a man who believes in living on his own means not sucking other pple dry to gain selfish interests
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Djtm(m): 1:27pm On May 18, 2013
I hate the nigerian system of weddings. I love how the whites do theirs; a 15minutes church service with a few friends and family members, everbody in the church numbering less than 50.
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by claremont(m): 1:29pm On May 18, 2013
This obsolete tradition of obtaining bride-price creates the impression that a bride is a commodity to be bought and sold.

So why shouldn't a man who paid for his wife treat her like a property e.g. furniture, car e.t.c?! He paid for her, he can treat her any way he chooses to.

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 18, 2013
Djtm: I hate the nigerian system of weddings. I love how the whites do theirs; a 15minutes church service with a few friends and family members, everbody in the church numbering less than 50.
but u will want her to treat u like an African husband after that wedding right?

3 Likes

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by tivta(m): 1:35pm On May 18, 2013
claremont: This obsolete tradition of obtaining bride-price creates the impression that a bride is a commodity to be bought and sold.

So why shouldn't a man who paid for his wife treat her like a property e.g. furniture, car e.t.c?! He paid for her, he can treat her any way he chooses to.

This is what i keep telling most of these female liabilities. If a mam buys you a phone, pays for you hair, takes to buy clothes, go to the cinema etc I mean do trivial things for you and all you can afford to do is buy him boxers of 1500, dont complain when he emotionally and physically abuses you. Women if you want the respect of men meet him HALF way. HE WHO PAYS THE PIPER DICTATES THE TUNE...
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 18, 2013

na d likes of weird mc, omawunmi etc full dat village dats y
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Djtm(m): 1:41pm On May 18, 2013
mondi_cheeks: but u will want her to treat u like an African husband after that wedding right?
well, not really (if I got the meaning of your post right). I can take care of myself. I'm not against paying of bride price but the whole wedding thing is overhyped. I mean; pay a token for the bride price, get your butts in a church, get wedded, post some pics online and get on with life.

2 Likes

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Ticha: 1:42pm On May 18, 2013
My father is not the oldest male in the family so I called his uncle and discussed with him. I informed stylishly in the discussion that:

1. I am coming home primarily to pay my respects to the family and not sully their name so they should please reciprocate
2. Any mention of box or clothes list, I will cancel my ticket cos I'm already living with him
3. We have paid for the white wedding (didn't marry in church, had a civil ceremony in the UK) so if dem no gree, I will still be married in the eyes of the law
4. We have no money!

He agreed with me and said the family's desire is to see all their daughters happily married and if that is what I wanted, I'll get it. I didn't believe initially. He had some years earlier almost stopped my cousin's wedding midway cos the grooms' mother's goat ate his crops and she refused to pay donkey years before that day!

Come wedding day, no mention of clothes, boxes, yams, goat or even palm wine. Yams, goats and palmie were still supplied by the groom and his small delegation that came. Bride price was N200 negotiated down from N50k. I was even happy to plan with my hubby to pretend to walk out if they were intractable! Luckily, it didn't come to that grin The total cost of our traditional wedding was N250k.

Ladies, it is in our hands. I always tell my female friends that our blessings are not supposed to make us suffer. Marriage is indeed a blessing, why would I want to spoil it by not speaking up to remove any angst and potential worries for the sake of just one day that will be remembered by only both of us?

3 Likes

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by ballabriggs: 1:48pm On May 18, 2013
Well all these una parables and theory no concern me. My first daughter na 200k pounds. Anybody wey no want make e go ambassadors go marry woman. KAPISH!!! undecided
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by biolabee(m): 1:49pm On May 18, 2013

It is ooo... YAY

Azonto

Jah be praised

dancing azonto...

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by biolabee(m): 1:52pm On May 18, 2013
ballabriggs: Well all these una parables and theory no concern me. My first daughter na 200k pounds. Anybody wey no want make e go ambassadors go marry woman. KAPISH!!! undecided

carry go jaawe... since you wan recoup your investment on top am
If the man tie hin neck like goat and lock up for guard room... e no kukuma consign u
you don make d money ....

if the grandkids no know u... no wahala too...

#Team I Refuse To Be Broke grin
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 18, 2013
@ OP, D men are up to d task.
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Idowuogbo(f): 2:11pm On May 18, 2013
ballabriggs: Well all these una parables and theory no concern me. My first daughter na 200k pounds. Anybody wey no want make e go ambassadors go marry woman. KAPISH!!! undecided
She go rust for ya house.

2 Likes

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by patostation(m): 2:22pm On May 18, 2013
yellowpawpaw: I don't know where u guys get d generalization thing from.I agree in some places,the bride price can be scary but not everywhere.I'm ibo and in my lga,what u pay and do is really small.infact after payin d dowry,ur family will take little amt and return d rest to ur guy's pple.its customary.
All those other things u c pple doin is just copy cat, not in most constitutions.but bc u want to impress pple,u can do some outrageous thing and blame it on ur gal's pple.

That is true. Marriage custom differs from village to village and from town to town. Body will force you to pay any amount . It's mike an inter-village bargain. Village A (bride's village) will produce a list that includes the bride price. An item in the list coulé be as little as N500. Village B (groom's village) will argue that since they don't have such an item in their own procedure, they will pay N100. In the end the to parties will settle for, say, N250. Overall, item in the list are not necessarily beyond the capacity of any serious suitor. Any issue not settled on the traditional marriage day can be settled later, even 50 years later. With this flexibility and sense of seriousness, I consider the Ibo marriage to be the most honorable in Nigeria; and perhaps the cheapest in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by patostation(m): 2:23pm On May 18, 2013
yellowpawpaw: I don't know where u guys get d generalization thing from.I agree in some places,the bride price can be scary but not everywhere.I'm ibo and in my lga,what u pay and do is really small.infact after payin d dowry,ur family will take little amt and return d rest to ur guy's pple.its customary.
All those other things u c pple doin is just copy cat, not in most constitutions.but bc u want to impress pple,u can do some outrageous thing and blame it on ur gal's pple.
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 18, 2013
Djtm: I hate the nigerian system of weddings. I love how the whites do theirs; a 15minutes church service with a few friends and family members, everbody in the church numbering less than 50.

thats boring. Ours is better.

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by morewealth(m): 2:28pm On May 18, 2013
A lot of girls assist their guys with the bride price and list especially those desperate ones in Lagos....
Na dem dey even rent house and furnish am sef.
Husband dey scarce o!
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 18, 2013
claremont: This obsolete tradition of obtaining bride-price creates the impression that a bride is a commodity to be bought and sold.

dont u take care of ur furniture and car?
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by avin07(m): 2:30pm On May 18, 2013
2buff:
If God blesses me with a daughter, even if I ask for the brideprice, I think I will then instantly in the same breath of the transaction put jara on top and give it to the couple to use to build their life...
kudos 2 u if u'll do it wen d time comes
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by biolabee(m): 2:37pm On May 18, 2013
Idowuogbo:
She go rust for ya house.

That rusting no go get part2
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by noholdsbarred(m): 2:44pm On May 18, 2013
It still exists. I'm about to get married to an Akwa-Ibom girl and the parents are asking for all sorts.
The list even includes a BIG generator, mattress, a complete suit and shoe among other things. I just had to let them know how displeased I was with the list and urged my fiancée to talk to her parents. She was a bit resistant to talking with her parents at first, but after persuasion from other respectable people we both know, she did talk to her parents. The parents later called me to say that the list is negotiable and that they are only interested in the happiness of their daughter. Right now, I'm relating with people from the same tribe to cut down to list to a reasonable form before any negotiation begins.

1 Like

Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by patostation(m): 2:48pm On May 18, 2013

That is true. Marriage custom differs from village to village and from town to town. Body will force you to pay any amount . It's mike an inter-village bargain. Village A (bride's village) will produce a list that includes the bride price. An item in the list coulé be as little as N500. Village B (groom's village) will argue that since they don't have such an item in their own procedure, they will pay N100. In the end the to parties will settle for, say, N250. Overall, item in the list are not necessarily beyond the capacity of any serious suitor. Any issue not settled on the traditional marriage day can be settled later, even 50 years later. With this flexibility and sense of seriousness, I consider the Ibo marriage to be the most honorable in Nigeria; and perhaps the cheapest in the long run.
Re: Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 18, 2013
READING THIS I FEEL EXPLOITED, CHEATED AND DUPED...IMAGINE WHEN YOU ARE RIPPED OFF AND THE ONLY ONE YOU FEEL WOULD SPEAK UP KEEPS QUIET OR FEELS YOU MUST COUGH OUT THE MONEY. I FELL FOR IT AT INCEPTION AND I WON'T WISH MY ENEMY THAT. ALLOW THEM TO DUPE YOU BECOS THAT WILL BE THE LAST HELP AND MONEY THEY WOULD DUPE FROM YOU. THEY REALLY ACT AND BEHAVE HUNGRY! WOT THEY DON'T ASK IS HOW WOULD THEIR DAUGHTER HELP YOU STAND OR BUILD THE HOME FINANCIALLY. PLS MARRY INTO ENLIGHTENED HOME. ALSO DATE BEFORE MARRIAGE TO UNDERSTAND UR GIRL'S PERCEPTION OF CERTAIN ISSUES OF LIFE.
slimyem: That's why you should marry a girl with reasonable parents. Tradition or not,no sensible parent would want to make things difficult for any in-law especially when they know his pocket.
Most of those traditional requirement are so unnecessary. Makes you wonder if its a family of hungry people.
The weddings I've seen lately though, parents just demand the basics. Nothing overwhelming for the groom and that's how it should be.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Uses Money Saved From Cooking To Build A House, Husband Collapses (photos) / Is My Dad Taking Advantage Of Me / Domestic Violence: A Time To Fight Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.