Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

President Jonathan Live In Enugu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Live In Enugu (25200 Views)

President Jonathan Live In Osogbo / Kingsley Kuku(S.A To Jonathan) Live On Channels... Updates / The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by solopumpy227: 7:55pm On May 18, 2013
PLEASE THIS AUSPICIOUS OCCASION OF PROJECTS COMMISSIONING SHOULD HAVE 1000x PICTURES FOR THE DOUBTING THOMASES
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by InvertedHammer: 8:07pm On May 18, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The federal cabinet ministers are currently making presentations and responding to questions.

The ministers of transport, environment and works have already made their presentations.

The minister of transport said the eastern rail line rehabilitation will be completed by the end of this year. The work is currently about 35% completed but all the needed equipments are already on ground.

The Onitsha port which was completed and commissioned late last year is currently being concessioned for private management. The Ibaka deep sea port in Akwa-Ibom is being procured under PPP (20% FG, 20% state govt and 60% private sector). Actual work will commence next year. The Aba dry port was also mentioned. The feasibility studies for the Lagos-Benin-Onitsha-Enugu fast train line with an off-shoot from Onitsha to Aba will be completed in the 3rd quater of this year. After that, the procurement process for the project under PPP will commence.

The minister of environment addressed issues relating to erosion in the southeast.

The minister of works said the full reconstruction of the Enugu-PH road will commence later this year. Work on the Enugu-Onitsha road has gone full blast and will be completed next year. N30billion is already in the bag as counterpart funding to construct the Second Niger Bridge. Preliminary work on the bridge has commenced. The president will in a few weeks time flag off full blast work by Julius Berger on the Second Niger Bridge.
Several other roads were also mentioned.

The minister of power talked about several distribution and transmission power facilities that have been completed in the southeast in the last two years.

The minister of finance talked about N50billion interest free World Bank loan secured to holistically tackle erosion in the southeast.

The President is currently speaking

Talk...talk....talk...talk
said..said...said...said
speak..speak...speak...speak

People: clap...clap...clap...clap

And at the end, nothing gets done
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by IGBOSON1: 8:19pm On May 18, 2013
Just saw a bit of the remodelled terminal on the news, and i'm not impressed to say the least.

It obvious the job was rushed for the Presidents' visit: the painting on the supporting iron pillars isn't complete; the choice of paint colour is not the best (looks kinda pinkish); the signages aren't cutting edge and precision-made (looks like they were produced in a hurry); the airports roofing looks unfinished and isn't anything like the one in the renders.....the plain zinc is still in full view unlike how they appear in the renders; the airconditioning is not centralised, as i noticed split-units all over the place; and finally the little i saw of the funishing is nothing to write home about. Apart from these snags, it's an ok job i suppose undecided.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by solopumpy227: 8:26pm On May 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Just saw a bit of the remodelled terminal on the news, and i'm not impressed to say the least.

It obvious the job was rushed for the Presidents' visit: the painting on the supporting iron pillars isn't complete; the choice of paint colour is not the best (looks kinda pinkish); the signages aren't cutting edge and precision-made (looks like they were produced in a hurry); the airports roofing looks unfinished and isn't anything like the one in the renders.....the plain zinc is still in full view unlike how they appear in the renders; the airconditioning is not centralised, as i noticed split-units all over the place; and finally the little i saw of the funishing is nothing to write home about. Apart from these snags, it's an ok job i suppose undecided.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
I am sorry you are dissapointed Brother. Some of us have grown through their deceits soo much that we are now perpetually skeptical UNTIL WE SEE PICTURES OR VIDEOS.

Warning! Dont trust any politrician. Only judge them by achievements.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:

So you saw all those details on AIT news report that lasted for barely 30seconds? Are you a magician?

Anyway, I heard the contractor struggled to met up with the planned presidential commissioning so its possible that a few things may not have been completed before the president arrived. And because its a presidential visit, it is very difficult to shift the date. Even during the Good Governance Tour early this year, the contractor promised to finish the job by March but obviously things did not go as planned. However, it is safe to say the work is about 99% completed. Whatever is remaining can always be fixed. More important is the fact is that some of the facilities have been contracted to a private management for maintenance.
One the issue of the AC, I think it is same for all the newly reconstructed Airports. I heard the time frame for construction of a centralised AC is long and cannot be accommodated in the speed needed to overhaul the aviation sector. Maybe the experts can educate us on the pros and cons of both systems

By the way, work on the international terminal commenced immediately. I think the main essence of the presidents visit was the foundation laying ceremony for the international terminal and maybe the townhall meeting. The commissioning of the reconstructed Airport is secondary. Other Airports that have been completed so far were not commissioned by Mr president

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by mbhs139(m): 9:19pm On May 18, 2013
[size=25pt]kudos to the president[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by enm(m): 9:35pm On May 18, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Sing am nah wetin dey there. Or is she on nairaland?

to sing no be problem but my voice too sweet to sing am.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Nightshift(m): 9:57pm On May 18, 2013
I believe it's also time for federal govt. to finish reconstruction of Enugu - Onitsha and Enugu - PH highways, as well as other link roads , so that people can have easy access to and from the Airport.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Chino48: 10:01pm On May 18, 2013
This is a good development for the people of Enugu state.

With these projects: 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha, Enugu Airport, Onitsha Port, Onitsha-Awka-Enugu expressway, Enugu-Okigwe-PH road..

GEJ will surely win SE 100% in 2015 with or without any Igbo man running for the same office.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Nightshift(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2013
Once the new international route takes off, it will have a tremendous effect on property/real estate prices in Enugu and the neighbouring towns. Flying direct from Europe and North America to Enugu will be the biggest deal for Coal City ever!
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by joeyfire(m): 10:14pm On May 18, 2013
eko ilee:

I had a not so meaningful discussion with the so called new mod about having a word or two with his people because they are primarily responsible for tribalism and bigotry on NL, but he's either yet to have that conversation with his people as advised or he's tribally oblivious of his people's actions...

Obviously he's busy pontificating and over reaching over trivial issues elsewhere. Never fails...

I believe you have a major role to play for the explosion of tribalism on this site. For as long as I can remember once anyone from the SE made a comment not supporting fashola or A.CN you quickly hurl insults at the south east. You almost single handedly turned all PDP vs A.CN debates to igbo vs yoruba. That devilish formula radicalised lots of neutral ppl to bigots and it goes on until today. Now you want to sound objective

8 Likes

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Jman06(m): 10:32pm On May 18, 2013
We d sons and daughters of igboland are SOLIDLY behind the president!So,i don't know the igbos u are talking about@spexo001.
Spexo001: Even when the igbos have promised not to vote for you nxt tenure u still kip ur campaign promises.....God bless you jare
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by aurenflani: 11:39pm On May 18, 2013
mascot87:

I love the bolded above,not like the animals in human form we have towards the right & mid upper part of the country

But the "animals" started the airport project when Yar'adua visited enugu and "was shocked to discover that the coal city didn't have an international airport.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by AroOkigbo(m): 1:52am On May 19, 2013
oluomad: Jonathan, we Christians are praying for you....
Keep moving... May God help yyou more
And the muslims are providing an atmosphere of PEACE to enable him succeed.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Brynelo: 8:36am On May 19, 2013
dplomaticVal: So how wil dt positively affect d lyf of a common man
..employmnt opportunity...
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Ozonna(m): 8:38am On May 19, 2013
I heard that Ϯh℮ Minister Of Transport said that Eastern Rail lines will be completed this year. A friend of mine who's father is a Railway staff in Enugu told me about teh low quality of work being done by a Turkish Construction firm ESSER in Enugu.

He said that Ϯh℮ Railway Union have protested to Ϯh℮ Minister Of Transport warning that Train will always derail which may lead to unwanted loss of lives n properties. But still nothing is being done to address this. Rumour has it that Ϯh℮ person that invited (has shares) ESSER is Ϯh℮ MD of Railways, Sijuade. Who happens to be Ϯh℮ son of Oba Sijuade.

Please anybody who knows President Goodluck should please bring his attention to this matter because all the Rail lines handled by ESSER is an accident waiting to happen
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Mospring(m): 8:50am On May 19, 2013
confirm!.. mospring was there @the commissioning and block laying......ish!
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 8:50am On May 19, 2013
[b]The sad thing about Nigeria is that when this so called projects takes place , presidents and Governors are always laying foundation and smiling for the camera but nothing gets done. To make matters worse when they build these so called airports they award the contracts to incompetent people and what you get is a poorly designed,poorly built monstrosity that looks like a mosque or a very ugly warehouse.

I wonder why there are no pictures to show us what the new RE-CONSTRUCTED Airport looks like. Reminds me of a ss Governor who awarded himself a N7billion contract to construct a non-existent runway. In other countries they build airports without any politicians laying any foundation or commissioning anything. They just do it with no long stories or excessive fanfare.

Look at China, they built close t0 10 brand new cities without making any noise .Google zhendong New District or Ordos city just to name a few. These project were undertaken with highest level of dedication ever witnessed in human history. Zhengdong New district alone cost $19 billion. Jonathan on the other hand stole over $30 billion from our foreign reserves in 3 years and has nothing to show for it.

Our Government makes over $52 billion every year from our Oil benefits yet we do not have world class cities ,reliable health facilities ,land lines, decent schools, budget housing or world class infrastructure, all we have is dumb politicians like Jonathan who just talk and talk.

If i were president i would have built at least 3 new cities since Jonathan became president and provided genuine budget housing for the masses. One of the easiest ways to grow an economy is by building new infrastructure and providing cheap housing.

How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Hospitals?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Roads?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Schools?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Coal Power Plant?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world Dams?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Nuclear Power Plants?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Solar Power Plants?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Airports?
How hard can it be for the Nigerian Government to build world class Universities?
How can all the above be when we make more than $50 billion yearly.

It is not hard at ALL, It is as simple as ABC if our President wants to do it but he is does not "give a damn"

This same man awarded his stupid wife N4 billion to build a silly building that has no benefit for Nigerians. Do you know how many budget homes N4 billion Niara can build for Nigerians

We can chose to defend our slave master or choose to do away with them. We have the money to be grate but we lack great leaders.

Let me show you what $19 billion of the $50 billion dollars Jonathan and his cronies till every years can do for you my people if you elect the right leaders :

Zhengdong New District

Cost $19 Billlion

Duraction of Contruction : 4 Years

Total Population Capacity : 5 Million People

Current Population : 2.5 Million

Now imagine if for the next 3 years Jonathan put aside $19 billion a year to build one city each. In 3 years Lagos Population would have been reduced as these people will flock to the new cities to inhabit it. The $19 billion dollar city can house 5 million people that mean that if Jonathan chooses to build 3 new cities he would have provided a place of abode for another 15 million people. This will also reduce the outrageous price of land in areas like Lagos and Abuja as people will have better alternatives.

The fact is that Jonathan does not care about you ,he only care about himself, he has done NOTHING so far to show that he cares about the poor or the average Nigerian.

SHOW ME ONE THING HE HAS DONE THAT POOR NIGERIANS HAVE BENEFITED FROM.

If you cannot show me one thing this man has done for poor Nigerians surely he has failed and should never be given a chance to return in 2015.Let us be honest with ourselves. At the end of the day , the only person you can trust is yourself. Put aside petty tribalism Hausa here, Biafra this ,Odua that or Muslim this ,Christian that. Think as an individual , as a Nigerian ,what has PDP done for you?[/b]
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 9:29am On May 19, 2013
[b] Furthermore the so called Power Generation problems Nigeria has been having is not so difficult to solve.The problem once again is unintelligent and uncaring leaders like Jonathan.If i were the president of Nigeria i would have utilized all the water resources we have in Nigeria to generate power.

The bissest Dam in the world is the Three Goerges Dam in china which is similar in size to river Niger.What has the Nigerian Governemnt not considered damming the River Niger.

Allow me to elborate :

Three George Dam

Generating capacity : 22500 MW
Type of dam : Gravity dam
Height : 181 m (594 ft)
Length : 2,335 m (7,661 ft)
Crest width : 40 m (131 ft)
Base width : 115 m (377 ft)

Spillway capacity : 116,000 m3/s (4,100,000 cu ft/s)
Purpose : Hydroelectrical Power, flood control, navigation
Construction began : December 14, 1994
Opening date : 2008
Construction cost : $26 billion

Capacity : 39.3 km3 (31,900,000 acre·ft)
Catchment area : 1,000,000 km2 (390,000 sq mi)
Surface area : 1,045 km2 (403 sq mi)
Normal elevation : 175 m (574 ft)
Reservoir length : 600 km (370 mi)
Max. reservoir width: 1.1 km (0.68 mi) avg

Commission date :2003–2012
Type :Conventional
Hydraulic head Rated: 80.6 m (264 ft)
Maximum :113 m (371 ft)[1]
Turbines :32 × 700 MW,2 × 50 MW Francis-type
Installed capacity :22.5 GW
Capacity factor :0.45
Annual generation :80 TWh (290 PJ)
Net generation :556 TWh (2,000 PJ) (2012)

[img]http://www1.american.edu/ted/ICE/images5/bch_TGDat87and06.jpg[/img]

As you can see from the above the Chinese do not pay lip service to power generation ,they just do it.The base of the River Niger can easily accommodate a dam the same size or even bigger than the three Georges dam but our Government is not interested in long term solutions. Instead they had registering IPP who are building micro power some which generate less than 50MW.

The Jonathan Administration will not solve Nigeria’s power problems because they do not have a clue how to solve it. They opted for small scale solutions which are also short time solutions instead of looking at the geography of Nigeria and detecting areas where long term solutions can be planted to serve Nigeria into the next 30 years at least. The good thing about the design of the three George dam is that it has a shiplift which will allow container ships to go up and down the river with relative ease and without disturbing the dam.

The River at it is base is close to 1.8 km wide and the three Georges dam is just 1.1 km long. This proves that the Three Georges dam or something bigger can be replicated on the river Niger and with today improved technology up to 37000 MW can be generated form just that single dam. Such a project will easily light up Nigeria and give room for Government planners to start planning future power project without any pressure on them.

I even believe that three dams can be construction on the river Niger. A Dam could each be constructed on the Kwara side of the river ,the Benue Side of the River and the Imo side of the river at the base. This will increase power generation to over 50,000MW. If the Jonathan Government was clued they could put aside $15 Billion from Oil revenue every years to pay for this projct without borrowing. Besides we have foreign reserves ,we could use our current foreign reserves to pay for this project.

If Nigeria is fully lit up our economy will increase to over $1 Trillion in just 5 years. With a population of a 170 million and a fully electrified country there is no stopping us ,we will become a first world country in a matter of 30years. If only Nigeria can get a visionary and honest leader like me ,if only! PS i am not a graduate ,i am a university drop out but i am way more intelligent and clued up than most of these professor we keep appointing as ministers and electing as Presidents.
[/b]
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by Nobody: 9:42am On May 19, 2013
^^^ @ Yeboyes, who r u talking to? All u GEJ oppositionists dat fuelled terrorism into his administration n still expect world class cities from him, So dat d terrorists wl bomb the kind cities shey? Go and sit down biko.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 9:58am On May 19, 2013
IGBO-SON:

That is what you get when they award contracts to relative who are neither intelligent or qualified to handle such projects.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 9:59am On May 19, 2013
ngozievergreen: ^^^ @ Yeboyes, who r u talking to? All u GEJ oppositionists dat fuelled terrorism into his administration n still expect world class cities from him, So dat d terrorists wl bomb the kind cities shey? Go and sit down biko.

As usual when honest people like me speak the truth ,you will find people like ngozievergreen who are enemies of true progress attacking me.These are the enemies of Nigeria.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by IGBOSON1: 11:43am On May 19, 2013
So no pics yet of the newly remodelled terminal building?

There are some truths in Yeboyes posts; but alas, the Nigerian political-economy is not as straight-forward as that of China to make what he's talking of possible on such a scale....within such a short time frame.....using such a budget.....and achieving such quality. This is the sad reality that is a consequence of the faulty structural foundation on which Nigeria is built....it throws up all sorts of anomalies and mind-boggling situations that can only be rectified by a total overhaul and rejigging of the very foundation on which this country is built; and this can only be done when we get our heads out of the sand and confront national issues swept under the carpet by those the status-quo benefits. Anyone hoping that there's one individual or party that could make us start functioning as effectively and efficiently as China (while Nigeria remains 'as is') is on a long thing!

The aforementioned is what i bear in mind and temper my expectations concerning Nigeria. What am i saying in effect?: i'm saying that Nigeria needs a sovereign national conference ASAP!
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 12:16pm On May 19, 2013
IGBO-SON:
So no pics yet of the newly remodelled terminal building?

There are some truths in Yeboyes posts; but alas, [b]the Nigerian political-economy is not as straight-forward as that of China to make what he's talking of possible on such a scale....within such a short time frame.....using such a budget.....and achieving such quality. [/b]This is the sad reality that is a consequence of the faulty structural foundation on which Nigeria is built....it throws up all sorts of anomalies and mind-boggling situations that can only be rectified by a total overhaul and rejigging of the very foundation on which this country is built; and this can only be done when we get our heads out of the sand and confront national issues swept under the carpet by those the status-quo benefits. Anyone hoping that there's one individual or party that could make us start functioning as effectively and efficiently as China (while Nigeria remains 'as is') is on a long thing!

The aforementioned is what i bear in mind and temper my expectations concerning Nigeria. What am i saying in effect?: i'm saying that Nigeria needs a sovereign national conference ASAP!

[b]My brother ,why must we always say NEVER? Why can’t we follow the principles of NEVER SAY NEVER. We have to try brother, i know it seems impossible but it is not. If Obama can become the President of America what is stopping us from electing genuine leaders?

You know the first problem we have to deal with in Nigeria is Tribalistic politics! It is because of Tribalism that i as a Yoruba man and you as an Igbo man may not want to agree on issues that will bring benefit to both of us. This is our achilles heel. Our leaders right from 1960 have collectively divided us with the ideology of tribalism and religion.

Just take a look at nairaland, many of the Yoruba and Igbos who are always fighting were not even born during the civil war. Yet they keep the flag of tribalistic hate flying, Why is this so?

Look at Isreal and Germany today? They were once enemies but today their youths are working together on several project and they have progressed together. We the youths need to learn from the mistakes of the past but should not dwell on it too much. I see no reason why Igbos ,Yorubas and Hausa should hate each other?

I also find the clamour for Igbo president to be ridiculous. I don’t care where the next President comes from, if Igbos want one of their tribes men to be President ,they should present a honest candidate with no baggage not a recycled politician. They can’t present Ifeanyi Ubah and expect intelligent Nigerians to support him, they can’t present Nzeribe and expect Nigerians to support him. They should look for someone young and NEW in their community ,a genuine son of the soil with no baggage, no skeleton and no history of corruption and present him for candidacy. The same goes for Yoruba and Hausa. Nigerians should start looking for substance instead of Tribal affiliations.

I am not a Buhari supporter neither am I a Jonathan Supporter. I am not a ACN ,CPC or PDP supporter. The only man that I ever found to be a 80% credible leader in Nigeria is Professor Pat Utomi but unfortunately Nigerians will never let a good man like him become president. Instead we will vote for this Jonathan who has done absolutely nothing to alleviate the poor of Nigeria. It is in our Nature as Nigerians to choose the worst among us to lead us.[/b]

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by otokx(m): 12:18pm On May 19, 2013
The remodelled terminal job was below standard, we have been deceiving our selves in this country for a very long time.

@ yeboyes, don't be discouraged, keep on showing us some truth.
Re: President Jonathan Live In Enugu by yeboyes: 12:51pm On May 19, 2013
otokx: The remodelled terminal job was below standard, we have been deceiving our selves in this country for a very long time.

@ yeboyes, don't be discouraged, keep on showing us some truth.

[b]Thank you my brother.Let me show you an example from another African country. Below is the newest Airport in South African.It was designed by a South Africa architect(Osmond Lange Architects) and built within 3 years by a South African construction company at a cost of $900 million.

They was no long stories or commission set ,there was no delay or embezzlement of funds.They needed a new aiprot and they just built without any hassle.Bear in Mind that South African Government makes less than the Nigerian Government.

Construction of the airport commenced on 24 August 2007.Constructio.The airport handled its first commercial flights on 1 May 2010

[img]http://hibiscuscoast.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/King-Shaka-International-Airport-Durban-KZN.-La-Mercy-International-Airport-17.jpg[/img]

You can see from this picture below that the made adequate arrangement for covered parking so there is no clutter or traffic.That is eveidence of good leadership ,great planning and competent execution of projects.

[img]http://www.airbiz.aero/assets/Uploads/what-we-do/strategic-planning/_resampled/croppedimage960538-Strategic-Planning-5-KSIA.jpg[/img]

The picture below shows part of the construction process

[img]http://3.bp..com/_sdrItg5w-eU/S-SGiRK_IWI/AAAAAAAAAFE/A27YTsOWrnw/s1600/2m9xl2.jpg[/img][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Kashim Shettima Convoy Attacked In Maiduguri, Many Cars Destroyed / Amaechi Welcomes Thousands Of PDP Members To APC In Eleme, Rivers / Mahmood Yakubu Meets Abba Kyari Buhari’s Chief Of Staff Inside Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.