Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,468 members, 7,850,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:12 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68244 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechiā€™s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 19, 2013

At this point I should be called the mother or grandmother of nairaland thank yous
The number of thank yous I have received on this thread are almost 300
I am shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Please don't mention
As we say in Naija
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 11:14pm On May 19, 2013
geekinthelead:

clown.. what does that mean

then you should have a circus dedicated to your existence.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by theripper2: 11:14pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders:

You know the problem I see with you which is prevalent with everyone
in your tribe? EMOTIONS, You are just emotional like bitches
You wrote how many paragraph no single Data or figure. My post you
quoted was loaded with figures and verifiable facts
Thats why you would continue to be failures.
A people that act on emotions is always an accident waiting to
Happen.
A little history lessons would show us its not new, Its sewn in the DNA,
How else would someone wake up and declare war based on emotions.
Do you have any allies? NO , Do you have weapons? No 200 guns, Do
you have stockpile of food? No our opponent would feed us. Do you
have money? No we would use our opponents currency etc.
So why are you going to war? We are the bravest army in Africa and
chukwu is with us. . Series of decisions based on emotions alone.
Your brother came here to beat his Chest about how the Eastern
Nigerian budget overtakes Nigeria, We broke it down and we saw that
the SE contribution to this awesome budget is less than 25%?
Its like a Greek or Mexican coming to boast about European or North
American economy when they barely contribute anything to it.
Emotional statements Like We are 60% of the voting population of
Kano, We own 70% of Lagos, We are 60% of Jos, We own 80% of Port
Harcourt is what makes even your SS neighbours detest you.
Stand on your own dont leech on people. All these senseless SE/SS
" attache by force" just show you as despera.

Totally extraneous and redundant tripe. Stop whining like a biaatch. U wanna call uncle dayo now?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 11:16pm On May 19, 2013
geekinthelead:

clown.. what does that mean

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 11:16pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

Of course sire. I have. As a matter of necessity in fact. In one breath you say no one knows anything about WS apart from his nobel prize win (the irony of that is sure lost on you) and now you say you've read "literary works which includes those of Achebe and Soyinka" if you actually have , I'm sure you would see the futility and daftness of this whole debate.
I've also read "Kwame and the stream". Is it influential too? So, you're not making any point. The fact that i've read a book doesn't mean a large population have read it. I'm out too....
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by thrugemaster(m): 11:18pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
You have made very valid points but i don't agree with the Ikebe super example. If Ikebe Super sells more than any other song, it simply means it's the best in that particular clime. if you don't think so, then tell me how we determine what's best and what's not?

the answer is very subjective.............. what I like, you may not like...................
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DIVINE78: 11:18pm On May 19, 2013
My take on this is that we need to be careful with the Igbos in this country. I remember they were beginning to worship Phillip Emegwalli as the father of internet before it was revealed the man was a Fraud. His face was even in our stamp.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by geekinthelead: 11:19pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders:

hungry nigerian.. tongue are you sure you have eaten today?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 11:22pm On May 19, 2013
thrugemaster:

the answer is very subjective.............. what I like, you may not like...................
But what majority of people like is the best in that clime.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 11:36pm On May 19, 2013
In the realm of literature there are far more skilled and accomplished writers in Africa than Prof. Achebe. It is therefor misplaced to call him the father of African Litrrature.

The novel that put Achebe in limelight is Things Fall Apart. He was the first Ibo writer to reveal the nak.edn.ess of Igbo culture and what he narrated coincided with the writings of European explorers who in their reports described the igbos as a savage people. Things Fall Apart was a treasure in white man's hand, whose goal of justifying his missionary work in Africa can now be legitimized as a saving grace to the black man. How else does any noble society justify and excuse Okonkwo's murder of Ikemefuna, an innocent young boy who looked up to him as father? Achebe, a tribal African, in his depictions of his own people, thus vindicated the white man of his atrocities against the African tribes. Everything in Things Fall Apart is vile and socially reprehensible. Okonkwo lacked respect for his socially irresponsible father who died indebted to the community, he lacked respect for his own son and wished Ikemefuna had been his blood son but then he bludgeoned the poor lad to death. In a male dominant society, Okonkwo preffered dominance in his daughter above his son......a very confused and troubled man indeed, he was damned!

If any novel out of Africa should be promoted and widely marketed as the best, this was not it......but in the white man's judgement this was that novel. This would explain its translations into many European languages. Its a self condemnation and a beg for redemption. It falls perfectly into the agenda of those in Europe who advocate missionary work for the heathens in Africa.

So Achebe's Things Fall Apart speaks to the ego of the white racist. They promoted his work and sold him as the best African writer.....Father of African Literature. If they truly believed him to be so why have they blocked him from the apex achievement in literature, the Nobel Award?

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 19, 2013
Dudu_Negro: In the realm of literature there are far more skilled and accomplished writers in Africa than Prof. Achebe. It is therefor misplaced to call him the father of African Litrrature.

Hahahaha hahahaha!!!!!!!

Please name them
Oya
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 11:38pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders:

You know the problem I see with you which is prevalent with everyone
in your tribe? EMOTIONS, You are just emotional like bitches
You wrote how many paragraph no single Data or figure. My post you
quoted was loaded with figures and verifiable facts
Thats why you would continue to be failures.
A people that act on emotions is always an accident waiting to
Happen.
A little history lessons would show us its not new, Its sewn in the DNA,
How else would someone wake up and declare war based on emotions.
Do you have any allies? NO , Do you have weapons? No 200 guns, Do
you have stockpile of food? No our opponent would feed us. Do you
have money? No we would use our opponents currency etc.
So why are you going to war? We are the bravest army in Africa and
chukwu is with us. . Series of decisions based on emotions alone.
Your brother came here to beat his Chest about how the Eastern
Nigerian budget overtakes Nigeria, We broke it down and we saw that
the SE contribution to this awesome budget is less than 25%?
Its like a Greek or Mexican coming to boast about European or North
American economy when they barely contribute anything to it.
Emotional statements Like We are 60% of the voting population of
Kano, We own 70% of Lagos, We are 60% of Jos, We own 80% of Port
Harcourt is what makes even your SS neighbours detest you.
Stand on your own dont leech on people. All these senseless SE/SS
" attache by force" just show you as desperate parasites
There is a sizable Yoruba population in North Central, You dont see
anyone shouting SW/NC bla bla,
There is a sizable population of people with Yorubalike ancestry in SS
states of Delta and Edo, You dont see anyone shouting SW-SS bla bla
bla
The more you yell the more you get exposed for what you are.
Leeches.
dayokanu really figured out the mindset of this peeps here. any
sensible person should stop doing a back and forth with this set of
programmed humanoids.

ponder on this when you come to your senses.

I said one word and see the novel I received. You need Jesus son cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 11:40pm On May 19, 2013
Dudu_Negro: In the realm of literature there are far more skilled and accomplished writers in Africa than Prof. Achebe. It is therefor misplaced to call him the father of African Litrrature.

The novel that put Achebe in limelight is Things Fall Apart. He was the first Ibo writer to reveal the nak.edn.ess of Igbo culture and what he narrated coincided with the writings of European explorers who in their reports described the igbos as a savage people. Things Fall Apart was a treasure in white man's hand, whose goal of justifying his missionary work in Africa can now be legitimized as a saving grace to the black man. How else does any noble society justify and excuse Okonkwo's murder of Ikemefuna, an innocent young boy who looked up to him as father? Achebe, a tribal African, in his depictions of his own people, thus vindicated the white man of his atrocities against the African tribes. Everything in Things Fall Apart is vile and socially reprehensible. Okonkwo lacked respect for his socially irresponsible father who died indebted to the community, he lacked respect for his own son and wished Ikemefuna had been his blood son but yhen he bludgeoned the poor lad to death. In a male dominant society, Okonkwo preffered dominance in his daughter above his son......a very confused and troubled man, damned!

If any novel out of Africa should be promoted and widely marketed as the best, this was not it......but in the white man's judgement this was that novel. This would explain its translations into many European languages. Its a self condemnation and a beg for redemption. It falls perfectly into the agenda of those in Europe who advocate missionary work for the heathens in Africa.

So Achebe's Things Fall Apart speaks to the ego of the white racist. They promoted his work and sold him as the best African writer.....Father of African Literature. If they truly believed him to be so why have they blocked him from the apex achievement in literature, the Nobel Award?

Thank God most of us are more educated than you. I would say you should get a refund ftom the school that taught you but since it was free cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Obiagu1(m): 11:41pm On May 19, 2013
Woke Soyinka is an unknown quantity, Period!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 11:43pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

Hahahaha hahahaha!!!!!!!

Please name them
Oya

Aah, undercover, na you i see so? How was church service today, what message did you get from today sermon ? cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 19, 2013
The novel that put Achebe in limelight is Things Fall Apart. He was the first Ibo writer to reveal the nak.edn.ess of Igbo culture and what he narrated coincided with the writings of European explorers who in their reports described the igbos as a savage people. Things Fall Apart was a treasure in white man's hand, whose goal of justifying his missionary work in Africa can now be legitimized as a saving grace to the black man. How else does any noble society justify and excuse Okonkwo's murder of Ikemefuna, an innocent young boy who looked up to him as father? Achebe, a tribal African, in his depictions of his own people, thus vindicated the white man of his atrocities against the African tribes. Everything in Things Fall Apart is vile and socially reprehensible. Okonkwo lacked respect for his socially irresponsible father who died indebted to the community, he lacked respect for his own son and wished Ikemefuna had been his blood son but yhen he bludgeoned the poor lad to death. In a male dominant society, Okonkwo preffered dominance in his daughter above his son......a very confused and troubled man, damned!

The essence of that whole novel was Obviously lost on you sonny boy
That is what tribalism can do to a young mind
Let me try to do what your JSS 3 teacher didn't cry
Things fall apart showcased a people who had their own culture and beliefs systems and their ways of dealing with everything including sickness and disease
It showcased their sports and past times
It showed a powerful man that worked hard and provided for his family
It had romance
It had love
It talked about a mothers undying love
It talked about their celebrations and act of worship telling the world that africans where not a people without worship or rules and regulations before the white man came
It talked about Their revered customs
It talks about friendship like Okonkwo had with obierika ,a friend that stuck through thick and thin
It takes about domestic violence which is a reality in Nigeria and beyond
It talked about the reward for greatness as seen in the titled men
Their justice system
It promoted hardwork and pride in one's identity and shunned laziness and timidity as in the case of Unoka Okonkwo's father and his son that was just like his grandfather
It talked about the danger of resisting change which is what what eventually led to Okonkwo's suicide
It showed a people that had a complete life and rich culture before the white man set his foot in their continent so much so that they resisted the white man and his new religion that came to destroy their way of life
That is why the book had the title it did
The white man came and things had fallen apart was a quote in the book
You obviously missed it all
Pele
Your post reeks of ignorance
You need to go and read the book ,you didn't learn a thing from it

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:53pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Thank God most of us are more educated than you. I would say you should get a refund ftom the school that taught you but since it was free cheesy

He needs to go burn down whatever secondary school he was sent to
Free education is obviously not equal to good education
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by emmatok(m): 12:07am On May 20, 2013
What WS is saying thet literature had a lot of genre , play write, Poet, e.t.c

So you can't call CB father of African literature.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (46) (Reply)

NSCDC Promotes Shem Obafiaye To Deputy Commandant-General / Amaechi Caught Sleeping In Calabar As Buhari Was Commissioning Projects (Pics / Arrested Suspect Reveals That Dokubo Asari Paid Them To Kill Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.