Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,677 members, 7,851,315 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:00 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68252 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:11am On May 20, 2013
Damn!! 21 pages of stupidity and idiocy!!

I regret posting on this thread.

Afam, can you please hide all my posts on this thread?

Thanks in advance!! wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 12:12am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

The essence of that whole novel was Obviously lost on you sonny boy
That is what tribalism can do to a young mind
Things fall apart showcased a people who had their own culture and beliefs systems and their ways of dealing with everything including illnesses
It showcased their sports and past times
It showed a powerful man that worked hard and provided for his family
It had romance
It talked about their celebrations and act of worship
Their revered customs
Their justice system
It showed a people that had a life and rich culture before the white man set his foot in their continent so much so that they resisted the white man and his new religion
That is why the book had the title it did
The white man came and things had fallen apart was a quote in the book
You obviously missed it all
Pele
Your post was nauseating

In a closed system when Things Fall Apart, it is followed by chaos and disorderliness....breakdown of order. They system is not self correcting and so you need an external and independent intervention to step in and re-order it.

Okonkwo is the main character. He hated his own father, direspected his son, showed no affection to his surrogate/adopted son....who he later slaughtered, violently beat his own wife, was outlawed from his own community......the list goes on.

Igbo is not the only tribe in Africa. Go and read books written by Africans about their culture and their people, you will appreciate how much damage Things Fall Apart did in its portrayal of the Igbos. If it wasnt white people who had an agenda, complemented by TFA, no one would know of Achebe in world literature.

Here is a summary for those interested in Achebe's glory, Things Fall Apart.

http://m.sparknotes.com/lit/things/summary.html
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:18am On May 20, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

In a closed system when Things Fall Apart, it is followed by chaos and disorderliness....breakdown of order. They system is not self correcting and so you need an external and independent intervention to step in and re-order it.

Okonkwo is the main character. He hated his own father, direspected his son, showed no affection to his surrogate/adopted son....who he later slaughtered, violently beat his own wife, was outlawed from his own community......the list goes on.

Igbo is not the only tribe in Africa. Go and read books written by Africans about their culture and their people, you will appreciate how much damage Things Fall Apart did in its portrayal of the Igbos. If it wasnt white people who had an agenda, complemented by TFA, no one would know of Achebe in world literature.

Here is a summary for those interested in Achebe's glory, Things Fall Apart.

http://m.sparknotes.com/lit/things/summary.html

You are talking like a broken record
All Africans agree that with Things fall apart for the first time they saw a book they could relate to
Oliver Twist and Huckleberry Finn were set in the ages and showcased abject poverty in old England and abuse of children

Things fall apart was also set back in the day before the white man came to Africa
Did you expect him to write that Africans were living in skyscrapers and sipping champagne?
See what tribalism can do

Wole Soyinkas most popular poem IMHO is Abiku
Does it show africans in the same light you speak because it is not talking about taking the Abiku to a hospital to be treated for sickle cell anemia
grin grin grin grin

In vain your bangles cast
Charmed circles at my feet
I am Abiku, calling for the first
And repeated time.

Must I weep for goats and cowries
For palm oil and sprinkled ask?
Yams do not sprout amulets
To earth Abiku's limbs.

So when the snail is burnt in his shell,
Whet the heated fragment, brand me
Deeply on the breast - you must know him
When Abiku calls again.

I am the squirrel teeth, cracked
The riddle of the palm; remember
This, and dig me deeper still into
The god's swollen foot.

Once and the repeated time, ageless
Though I puke, and when you pour
Libations, each finger points me near
The way I came, where

The ground is wet with mourning
White dew suckles flesh-birds
Evening befriends the spider, trapping
Flies in wine-froth;

Night, and Abiku sucks the oil
From lamps. Mothers! I'll be the
Suppliant snake coiled on the doorstep
Yours the killing cry.

The ripest fruit was saddest
Where I crept, the warmth was cloying.
In silence of webs, Abiku moans, shaping
Mounds from the yolk.

They for take am go Germany or EKO hospital in the poem for treatment rather than the trado things they are doing because wole is portraying us here as savages
Could it be why the white man gave him a Nobel?
Going by your reasoning

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoileee: 12:23am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

*waka*

Is this guilty conscience or you just know you are ignorant and must answer to the word ignorant when uttered?

Sucks to be you....
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 12:32am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

You are talking like a broken record
All Africans agree that with Things fall apart for the first time they saw a book they could relate to
Oliver Twist and Huckleberry Finn were set in the ages and showcased abject poverty in old England and abuse of children

Things fall apart was also set back in the day before the white man came to Africa
Did you expect him to write that Africans were living in skyscrapers and sipping champagne?
See what tribalism can do

We must look into the character of Okonkwo against the background of Umuofia and compare with the stories written by your so called "All Africans" whose writings about their own people were grandeur and noble in character and setting. Media hype is one thing, comparative literature is another!

Listen to Prof. Wole Soyinka and drop your tribal crusade. grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:35am On May 20, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

We must look into the character of Okonkwo against the background of Umuofia and compare with the stories written by your so called "All Africans" whose writings about their own people were grandeur and noble in character and setting. Media hype is one thing, comparative literature is another!

Listen to Prof. Wole Soyinka and drop your tribal crusade. grin

See this

The Trials of Brother Jero ~ “Brother Jero is a self-styled ‘prophet,’
an evangelical con man who ministers to the gullible and struts with
self-importance over their dependence on him

The play follows him through a typical day: he acts as kind of tourist guide, displaying himself to the audience, explaining, demonstrating how he manages to live by his wits

He is pursued and cursed by his aged mentor, whose territory he has taken over. He is besieged by a woman creditor who turns out to be the tyrannical wife of his chief disciple

He converts a pompous, painfully timid Member of Parliament with prophecies of a ministerial post. And all day he tries to resist the endless temptation of beautiful women the play is delightfully picturesque and entertaining” ~ Michael Smith (M8,F6)

So here Wole Soyinka has depicted Africans as 419ers?
Is that why he won the Nobel eventually? Because the white man agreed
Put Wole through the same silly lens you choose to look through and see how stewpid your argument looks

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 12:41am On May 20, 2013
Wole Soyinkas most popular poem IMHO is AbikuDoes it show africans in the same light you speak because it is not talking about taking the Abiku to a hospital to be treated for sickle cell anemia 

Your opinion on this work is irrelevant. The opinion of his peers is what counts.

Beside, to understand and speak on abiku you first need to understand the cultural rites of the abiku phenomenon. Prof. Soyinka writes from spirit, not from his brain. His brain only give expression the apparitions formed in the spirit....and many critics have argued that if you read Wole Soyinka be prepared to go into the depths where mortals fear to go. Do you think he got Nobel Prize for writing about virulent social chaos? grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ROYALD(m): 12:42am On May 20, 2013
THE FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE . NOT FATHER OF AFRICAN LITERATURE

ACHEBE IS THE FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE HEY EVERY BODY INCLUDING SOYINKA WHATEVER HIS CALLED ACHEBE IS THE FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE

IS NOT IN CONTEST
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 12:45am On May 20, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Your opinion on this work is irrelevant. The opinion of his peers is what counts.

Beside, to understand and speak on abiku you first need to understand the cultural rites of the abiku phenomenon. Prof. Soyinka writes from spirit, not from his brain. His brain only give expression the apparitions formed in the spirit....and many critics have argued that if you read Wole Soyinka be prepared to go into the depths where mortals fear to go. Do you think he got Nobel Prize for writing about virulent social chaos? grin grin

And Soyinka protested this injustice of Achebe's by reprising a role in a film/play based on that same book by Achebe. cheesy

So you are saying Soyinka was too dumb to notice all these things you are claiming? Or maybe you are full of it?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 12:52am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

See this

So here Wole Soyinka has depicted Africans as 419ers?
Is that why he won the Nobel eventually? Because the white man agreed
Put Wole through the same silly lens you choose to look through and see how stewpid your argument looks

A self styled prophet, brother jero! an african adept at practicing the legacy of the white missionaries to dupe. this is damning on the missionaries who sees themselves as saviors. they are corrupt and sinful.

If he had said brother ifayemi, a self styled babalawo.....then you would have a point. thats not the case here.

Look, go and rest.....beside Achebe no other African writer of repute exhibited his people and culture in the damning and prodigal manner as done in Things Fall Apart.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:52am On May 20, 2013
Crayola1:

And Soyinka protested this injustice of Achebe's by reprising a role in a film/play based on that same book by Achebe. cheesy

So you are saying Soyinka was too dumb to notice all these things you are claiming? Or maybe you are full of it?

Hahahaha ha
Good one

And when in death and the Kings horsemen set in Yoruba culture depicting lust and ritual suicide,sorcery et al,what was he depicting to the world @ dudu negro.
Amazing the things we overlook and the things we choose to seen when blinded by tribalism

Based on events that took place in Oyo, an ancient Yoruba city of Nigeria, in 1946, Wole Soyinka's powerful play concerns the intertwined lives of Elesin Oba, the king's chief horseman; his son, Olunde, now studying medicine in England; and Simon Pilkings, the colonial district officer. The king has died and Elesin, his chief horseman, is expected by law and custom to commit suicide and accompany his ruler to heaven. The stage is set for a dramatic climax when Pilkings learns of the ritual and decides to intervene and Elesin's son arrives home. "Soyinka both entertains and asks subtle questions about mass psychology, individual psychology, and universal human struggles of the will."—Chicago Tribune

If dudu tells us Chinua achieved fame with things fall apart because he cast Igbos in a bad light why didn't this book by Wole based on an actual event do the same and propel the play to a best seller
Oh dear
I am done here.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 1:05am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

Hahahaha ha
Good one

And when in death and the Kings horsemen set in Yoruba culture depicting lust and ritual suicide,sorcery et al,what was he depicting to the world @ dudu negro.
Amazing the things we overlook and the things we choose to seen when blinded by tribalism

Oh dear
I am done here.

The works of Soyinka is compared to the Greek classics. Myths and Rituals, Perversion and Force. Through his works the myths and rituals of Yoruba classical works and the role of the deities in Yoruba cosmology has gained global appreciation and understanding. Soyinka unveils what is noble and grandeur and forces the world, particularly Europe to study Yoruba Art comparatively.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:08am On May 20, 2013
babyosisi:

I re-read the book some years ago,you cannot imagine the number of strangers that told me they read it
When I carried around his memoir and read,I had people tell me they read his things fall apart in high school
It s a great feeling to see Americans acknowledge a celebrated author from Nigeria rather than talk about the 419 gang on the evening news
And here people want to belittle the book because tribalism gets the better part of them
Most of them can't make a point coherent enough for an ordinary nairaland "thank you" from any intelligent poster , let alone write an acceptable article for a backyard newspaper

CHinua was 28 or 29 years old when he wrote Things fall apart as a hobby and thought to have it published
He didn't set out to be famous
But the book brought him fame and fortune and exposed the world to African literature like never before
That is a big deal
Anyone trying to downplay it is foolish

RIP to the father of African literature

There is no doubt that you have a very strong passion for Chinua Achebe. I am also a big fan. However, my own interest in Achebe is borne out of respect for his works and his stand on social values. Let us look at this matter within context alone. The title " father of modern African literature " was given to Achebe by Nadine Gordimer as a mark of honour considering his influence on the number of African writers nurtured by Achebe during his time at Heinemann. This is expected as Nadine herself was one of the authors whose work passed through Achebe.

The question that arises from this complement is this- what is modern African Literature? Are we talking of African literatures written in English or French, Portuguese, Arabic etc or are we talking of African literatures written in the indigenous languages like Swahili, Yoruba, Ashanti, creole, Igbo, etc.?

Without doubt, Nadine was talking of African literatures written in English with particular reference to the Heinemann African writers series. In this context, we have to disregard African literatures written in other European languages , Arabic and indigenous African languages.

If my analysis is very clear to you, you will without doubt agree that The phrase " Father of Modern African Literature" must be taken within the context of Achebe' s work as the first Advisory Editor to the Heinemann African writers series.

Now regarding Wole Soyinka, I am also a fan but found his works a bit more complex as he's more of a Voltaire while Achebe flows in the mould of Mark Twain. I do not want you to get into the middle of writers. The fact that Wole went to prison for a cause championed by Achebe(Biafra) does not mean that they did not have some fraternal rivalry. It's normal in human relationship and it is inappropriate for us to carry such a cross when in actual fact we cannot determine the borders except on the basis of tribal or political allegiance.

It will be helpful if someone like you can be focused in your approach to issues and avoid the normal tirade from ethnic jingos from both divides.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 1:11am On May 20, 2013
percipi1:
The question that arises from this complement is this- what is modern African Literature? Are we talking of African literatures written in English or French, Portuguese, Arabic etc or are we talking of African literatures written in the indigenous languages like Swahili, Yoruba, Ashanti, creole, Igbo, etc.?
Africa is Africa. Literature is Literature. Whether you write in Igbo, Yoruba, English, Ewe or French, it doesn't matter.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 1:15am On May 20, 2013
Soyinka both entertains and asks subtle questions about mass psychology, individual psychology, and universal human struggles of the will."—Chicago Tribune

Oops, there it is! grin

Soyinka produces at universal level....he leads the mind to ponder about the strengths and challenges of the human kind, whether they are in Yorubaland or England, in Chinaland or Amazonland. He uses the cosmology of the Yoruba world as a baseline for the ideals and fears of human kind all over.

Quite different from Achebe writing about a disreputed father and a son who himself is lost and need a reformer. ....or for that matter about how some people in Nigeria hate his people and want them annihilated.

Which African writer of repute do you know that writes a book and raises false charges at people he doesnt agree with? Father of African Literature my as/s!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ROYALD(m): 1:20am On May 20, 2013
SOYINKA HAVE BEEN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCHOHOL? AT THE POINT OF THAT INTERVIEW
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DuduNegro: 1:21am On May 20, 2013
CHinua was 28 or 29 years old when he wrote Things fall apart as a hobby and thought to have it publishedHe didn't set out to be famousBut the book brought him fame and fortune and exposed the world to African literature like never beforeThat is a big dealAnyone trying to downplay it is foolish

Uhn uhn...let me clear my throat.... grin

Chinua was a member of mbari mbayo in Lagos. Anyone who joined the group had an ambition to be somebody in Nigerian literary and theater arts.

You are getting belligerent babyosisi....stop your nonsense!

Anyway, im done here...got things to go do. nice talking to you wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:22am On May 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
Africa is Africa. Literature is Literature. Whether you write in Igbo, Yoruba, English, Ewe or French, it doesn't matter.

Sir, I beg to disagree with you. Your view obfuscate the richness and broad ambience of the African literary world. You appears to be saying that Europe is Europe, whether you write in French, polish, Hungarian, English, German, Spanish, Italian or Dutch does not matter. That is why you can never have a "Father of Modern European literature"
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 1:28am On May 20, 2013
Nigerians sure enjoy like to arguing about a bunch of hoopla.

Chinua Achebe never considered himself the "Father of Modern African Literature."

He was given that title, by people around the world who admired his work. It doesn't matter if they were from North America, Europe, Asia or Africa.

To be frank, I would never compare Wole Soyinka with Chinua Achebe. One is a master playwright and the other is a master novelist. In this world, novels or should I say storytellers are ranked higher than playwrights, rightly or wrongly. But it is hard to compare the two. Let us just celebrate both of these illustrious authors.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 1:31am On May 20, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

The works of Soyinka is compared to the Greek classics. Myths and Rituals, Perversion and Force. Through his works the myths and rituals of Yoruba classical works and the role of the deities in Yoruba cosmology has gained global appreciation and understanding. Soyinka unveils what is noble and grandeur and forces the world, particularly Europe to study Yoruba Art comparatively.

By who? You lol?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 1:33am On May 20, 2013
percipi1:

Sir, I beg to disagree with you. Your view obfuscate the richness and broad ambience of the African literary world. You appears to be saying that Europe is Europe, whether you write in French, polish, Hungarian, English, German, Spanish, Italian or Dutch does not matter. That is why you can never have a "Father of Modern European literature"
It's funny that it's only now, that we're Diggin deep to find reasons why someone shouldn't be called the father of modern African literature yet we've been calling the likes of Micheal jackson, king of pop and James Brown, the king of rock and roll and no one bat an eyelid. When they were being given this title by popular knowledge no one considered those who sang in French, Spanish, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa etc.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:46am On May 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's funny that it's only now, that we're Diggin deep to find reasons why someone shouldn't be called the father of modern African literature yet we've been calling the likes of Micheal jackson, king of pop and James Brown, the king of rock and roll and no one bat an eyelid. When they were being given this title by popular knowledge no one considered those who sang in French, Spanish, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa etc.

In all honesty, I do not follow you line of reasoning. I have not contested The title . I have only said that it should be construed within the context of Achebe's role as the first advisory editor to Heinemann. Through him, a lot of African writers were discovered and nurtured. Nadine Gordinmer who gave him the title was one of them and she later got a Nobel. Achebe did not nurture any Igbo, Ashanti, french , Swahili or Yoruba writer so he cannot not be accepted as influencing literatures in those languages.

Regarding Michael and James brown, they are considered such as pop and rock and roll originated from the US and both are considered as the biggest influence in those genres. None of them has been labelled the " father of American music" This logically gives a lie to the basis of your contention

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:54am On May 20, 2013
Damn son!!! I had to read the interview again before I hit the sheet!! grin

This man is God's gift to Nigeria!!

Anyone who understands English language should be able to decipher those multi-syllable words in the context in which he used them without the aid of a dictionary. However, the most eye-catching thing about the interview, is the structure of the sentences, and the way he was able to intelligently answer the questions directly and succinctly.

I want to meet this man! grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ROYALD(m): 1:57am On May 20, 2013
percipi1:

In all honesty, I do not follow you line of reasoning. I have not contested The title . I have only said that it should be construed within the context of Achebe's role as the first advisory editor to Heinemann. Through him, a lot of African writers were discovered and nurtured. Nadine Gordinmer who gave him the title was one of them and she later got a Nobel. Achebe did not nurture any Igbo, Ashanti, french , Swahili or Yoruba writer so he cannot not be accepted as influencing literatures in those languages.

Regarding Michael and James brown, they are considered such as pop and rock and roll originated from the US and both are considered as the biggest influence in those genres. None of them has been labelled the " father of American music" This logically gives a lie to the basis of your contention

HEY IS LIKE YOU CAN NOT UNDERSTAND A SIMPLE ENGLISH NOW READ CHINUA ACHEBE IS THE FATHER OF MODERN AFRICAN LITERATURE NOT FATHER OF AFRICAN LITERATURE

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 1:57am On May 20, 2013
percipi1:

What's it with all these dimensions that you guys keep bringing. What has language got to do with being called the father of modern African literature? you guys don't seize to amaze me.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by thrugemaster(m): 2:00am On May 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
But what majority of people like is the best in that clime.

you are right in a way........ But the main issue on ground is the un-necessary arguments based on triviality which has anchorage on the genre of tribalism and sentiments.

I personally prefer Achebe but that does not mean Achebe is better than Soyinka ( i cant give an answer on that).

That is left for literary critics and prima donnas to judge......... But all I can say is that i have a particular affinity towards Achebe's works
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Genius100: 2:03am On May 20, 2013
A lot of ignoramuses on this thread. Achebe is a great novelist, but calling him the father of African literature is like calling Kanu the father of Nigerian soccer or Samuel Eto the father of African soccer. Case closed!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 2:04am On May 20, 2013
thrugemaster:

you are right in a way........ But the main issue on ground is the un-necessary arguments based on triviality which has anchorage on the genre of tribalism and sentiments.

I personally prefer Achebe but that does not mean Achebe is better than Soyinka ( i cant give an answer on that).

That is left for literary critics and prima donnas to judge......... But all I can say is that i have a particular affinity towards Achebe's works
Nobody is saying that Achebe is better than Soyinka. At least i'm not saying that. This is not a black and white issue. It's a matter that can be interpreted in divergent ways that will result in divergent answers. Even Chimamanda Adichie that virtually worships Achebe could be a better writer than Achebe but she knows where her place is. We're talking about Achebe's influence especially in Africa which has nothing to do with him being the best because there's no such thing as "best".
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ROYALD(m): 2:05am On May 20, 2013
shymexx: Damn son!!! I had to read the interview again before I hit the sheet!! grin

This man is God's gift to Nigeria!!

Anyone who understands English language should be able to decipher those multi-syllable words in the context in which he used them without the aid of a dictionary. However, the most eye-catching thing about the interview, is the structure of the sentences, and the way he was able to intelligently answer the questions directly and succinctly.

I want to meet this man! grin

WHAT WAS HIS CONTRIBUTION
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:09am On May 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
What's it with all these dimensions that you guys keep bringing. What has language got to do with being called the father of modern African literature? you guys don't seize to amaze me.

Afam, I will ask you one simple question. On what basis did you come to accept Chinua Achebe as the father of modern African literature? Is it on the basis of Nadine Gordimer's famous complement or your personal opinion?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 2:12am On May 20, 2013
percipi1:

Afam, I will ask you one simple question. On what basis did you come to accept Chinua Achebe as the father of modern African literature? It's it on the basis of Nadine Gordimer's famous complement of your personal opinion?
I've not said that i accept him as that. My point has been that if there's anyone that should be accorded that accolade, it should be Achebe. It has very little to do with Nadine Gordimer but more to do with the number of young and coming African writers that he has inspired through his body of work. He was the first person to sell Africa to the world through literature. His global influence is unwavering that Forbes even named him the most influential African even ahead of nelson Mandela. So, what are we talking about.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ROYALD(m): 2:14am On May 20, 2013
WHY SOYINKO/SOYINKA FAIL TO SPEAK OUT WHILE ACHEBE IS STILL ALIVE?
WELL SOYINKA THIS COULD BE SYMPTOMS AND OTHER RELATED MMENTAL DISORDER YOU NEED TREATMENT

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (46) (Reply)

Amaechi Caught Sleeping In Calabar As Buhari Was Commissioning Projects (Pics / Arrested Suspect Reveals That Dokubo Asari Paid Them To Kill Buhari / APC Crisis: Winners And Losers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.