Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi (4601 Views)

Jonathan And John Mahama At Achebe's Burial (Pictures) / Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 20, 2013
Ogidi (Anambra) – Gov. Peter Obi of Anambra, on Sunday said that the state was ready to accord Prof. Chinua Achebe a befitting burial.

Obi stated this while inspecting the St. Philip’s Anglican Church, Ogidi in Idemili North Local Government Area, where the burial service will take place on May 23.

The governor had inspected his country home and the author’s final resting place, which was nearly completed and designed as a mini museum to house all Achebe’s works.

Obi, who expressed satisfaction with the level of preparations, urged Nigerians to emulate the late literary icon, noting that the state government would not relent in honouring people like Achebe, who contributed positively to the advancement of the society.

Meanwhile, the state government is to partner with the Anglican Diocese of Aguata for the construction of a modern maternity in the area.

Obi said this on Sunday at the second session of the third synod of the Diocese at St. Thomas Anglican Church, Umuchu.

The governor said that the maternity, which would cost N30 million, was to encourage the deepening of the collaboration between the Church and government in providing the people with love and compassion.

According to him, the basic fact remains that any project executed either by the government or the Church is for the good of the people.

Most Rev. Christian Efobi, the Anglican Bishop of Aguata and the Archbishop of the Province on the Niger, thanked the governor for what he described as “good governance for the people of the state’’.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/anambra-ready-for-achebes-burial-gov-obi/
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by untainted: 2:59pm On May 20, 2013
N30 million maternity centre. Even in death, Achebe is changing lives.A hero lives forever!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by joanpinkie(f): 3:03pm On May 20, 2013
RIP Achebe
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by WizPrince1(m): 3:09pm On May 20, 2013
R.I.P Sir' i'll never forget 'Things Fall Apart'. I taught me how to write fluent english.

READ MY POEM ABOUT LIFE in that link below

https://www.nairaland.com/1295591/life-not-bad-think-poem
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Sunnycliff(m): 3:13pm On May 20, 2013
Oh to be a Great Man!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 20, 2013
Is all of these part of Peter Obi's job description? Our governors need to get busy and start improving the lives of their people rather than becoming event planners. Any event planner could do all of these!

RIP Chinua Achebe!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by kpozite(m): 3:17pm On May 20, 2013
Good I like the part about the museum in his honour.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Akeud(m): 3:18pm On May 20, 2013
Man goes to his long awaited home. Achebe is gone, but he shall always be remembered by his works.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by kalunomics(m): 3:21pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:
R.I.P Sir' i'll never forget 'Things Fall Apart'. I taught me how to write fluent english.

please edit your post before the ITKs pounces on you
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 20, 2013
Great Man.I will also never 4get things fall apart
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by kenbee(f): 3:25pm On May 20, 2013
I prefer the Nigerian and Anambra governments to do what late Achebe loved doing best as the best way to immortalize him and to breed more Achebes in our generation.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by blackbeau1(f): 3:29pm On May 20, 2013
OK. WE DON HEAR
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nosyke(m): 3:35pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

Obviously, it didnt
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Delafruita(m): 3:41pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

if by fluent english you mean the bolded then i guess you failed to learn
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Delafruita(m): 3:42pm On May 20, 2013
kpozite: Good I like the part about the museum in his honour.
where is the museum that was supposed to be in Zik's honour?
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by ChristyB(f): 4:01pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

Na wa for fluent english oo (hiding my head)
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by ogbeleje: 4:01pm On May 20, 2013
ok oooooooooooooo!!!
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by ebamma(m): 4:14pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

i can see
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Emytexboy(m): 4:34pm On May 20, 2013
the great iroko tre in igbo land.
an unfordettabble novelist in the entire world.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Emytexboy(m): 4:37pm On May 20, 2013
ebamma: i can see
hmmmm.
interesting
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Emytexboy(m): 4:39pm On May 20, 2013
ChristyB:

Na wa for fluent english oo (hiding my head)
no be small thing my dear, fluent indeed.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Lakayana: 4:41pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

it did not teach you how to cross check before posting.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by ajanaku2(m): 4:45pm On May 20, 2013
He was an unrepentant, Xenophobic Bigot!...

Someone who saw no flaws in his tribe and thought his tribe's superior to others!

After reading "There was a Country", I was glad I had bought a pirated copy! It's presently where it deserves to be...with My little Nephew, Fisayo...

The 4-year old boy don tear am taya!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 20, 2013
kalunomics: please edit your. post before the ITKs pounces on you
Kalunomics u too edit yr post b4 d ITKs 'pounce' not pounces on u.

Singular V plural incongruity
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Lakayana: 4:54pm On May 20, 2013
kalunomics: please edit your post before the ITKs pounces on you
It is too late the vultures are already hovering over the carcass.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 20, 2013
Make dem bury this guy na

Abi na dust dem wan bury?

Ki na fe fi ara oku se?
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 20, 2013
Wiz-Prince:

Na aboki he take teach u fluent english grin grin grin grin grin

Bury this man and let him rest jare. they can keep all their stu.pid plans to themselves!
let baba rest.
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by dayokanu(m): 5:13pm On May 20, 2013
Another avenue to chop money
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by NovusHomo(m): 5:33pm On May 20, 2013
So, what has this got to do with your hero?
untainted: N30 million maternity centre. Even in death, Achebe is changing lives.A hero lives forever!
Re: Anambra Ready For Achebe’s Burial – Obi by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 20, 2013
kenbee: I prefer the Nigerian and Anambra governments to do what late Achebe loved doing best as the best way to immortalize him and to breed more Achebes in our generation.

The greatest accomplishment of any artist is to leave protégés who will carry the torch after him / her
Achebe left several
Many African writers today credit him as being their inspiration and their mentors
I read Ngugi Wa Thiongo's tribute in March when Achebe passed and it was just awesome
A young man stopped him at an airport he said and actually thought he was Chinua Achebe's son.
Chimamanda Adichie has already set herself apart to follow in his footsteps of continuing the story
Achebe may be gone but he lives on,his works live on,his books will be here and will be read as long as the world is in existence.
Like Mark Twain ,Shakespeare and Charles Dickens before him,gone but not forgotten because they left evidence that cannot be overlooked
The father of African literature,he was fondly called,a title he truly deserves.

Thank you and RIP Nnanyi Achebe
Ka Chineke Nara nkpuru Obi gi na ndokwa
Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians, Please Slow Down On Copying Foreign Things / Total War As Tinubu Declares An End To Melaye’s Political Journey (photos) / How PDP Should Strategize To Beat Buhari In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.