Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,176 members, 7,835,927 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan (25664 Views)

APC Now Riding On Jonathan’s Legacies. Pictures. / Lagos: All The Legacies Of Fashola Are Fast Deteriorating / Olusegun Obasanjo vs Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ziccoit: 1:53pm On Oct 08, 2013
udokpuenyi: How many high profiled politicians were assassinated during OBJ autocratic rule and how many have died since Yaradua/Goodluck administration.

Yes Jonathan may not be all round good but never never compare him with OBJ bloodtasty rule.

Where are you from? You must be a Ghanian to have stated this. How do the lives of high profile politicians worth more than the lives of masses. In fact the contrary could be argued and proved to be correct.
Do you know how may lives have been cut short in this government?

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Odunharry(m): 2:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
taiocol: repeat after me
He's my legacy, son I'm a hard
work
Future of my past, he'll explain
who I be
Rank me among the greats,
either 1, 2 or 3
If I ain't number one then I failed
you victory
*justsinging#
jay Z History
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ol2012: 2:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
gazilion: I just discussed with two of my colleagues during lunch today on President Jonathan's legacy or would be legacy after leaving office. Comparing him with our ex-president OBJ, I did point out 6 things that would remain a legacy and which positively impacted on the lives of virtually all average Nigerian families. I understand OBJ spent 8 years in office but with Jonathan's first term, any hope he'll surpass the legacies below?

Firstly, Obasanjo introduced and liberalised the use of the GSM. Prior to this, telephone - whether land or mobile was almost exclusively for the rich.

Secondly, it was under the Obasanjo leadership that Nigeria's debt got written off in the Paris Club.

Thirdly, it was Obasanjo who bravely retired all Military men in the Nigerian Army who had tasted or held any political office.

Fourthly, it was also under his leadership that the Nigerian banking institution got brilliant reformations (although with some lapses) - This reformation stopped the total collapse of the financial institution in Nigeria during global financial melt down.

Fifthly, under OBJ Prof. Dora Akunyili of NAFDAC brought back in Nigeria the integrity of pharmaceutical drugs and fought vehemently without ethnic colouration, the barons importing fake drugs in Nigeria.

Finally, the fight against corruption under OBJ's leadership did have some bite. Whether it was used in hunting political opponents or not...it did have some bite and we are all witnesses that since the exit of Mallam Ribadu, the anti-corruption institution has virtually lost her voice and temerity.

I'm just thinking aloud, what will president Jonathan's Legacy be?

Please, let's discuss with a sense of decorum without insulting one another including calling our leaders Obscene names.
While I disagree wit u on d 1st point(GSM) since it was initiated by late Abacha, let me quickly add 2 d other points u listed d following

2004 PENSION REFORM ACT - Dis vital legislation enacted during OBJ's tenure has made it possible 2 access retirement benefits wit effortless ease once ur employer opens RSA account 4 u at d point of employment. Economists would analyze how a cheap source of long term funds like dis gradually galvanizes a nation's economy.

2005 POWER SECTOR REFORM ACT - Those who ar always quick 2 appropriate al d improvements in d nation's power sector 2 d current administration should realize dat OBJ's govt laid a very solid foundation on which d present govt is building. Not only was d act initiated and passed in2 law during his tenure, D NIPP(An all encompassing line of projects wit generation, distribution and transmission components) as well as pipelines 4 gas supply projects were initiated by his(OBJ) govt. Infact, if Late Yar adua did not suspend d NIPP during his tenure, some Nigerians might av been enjoying constant power supply by now.

NHIS - D National Health Insurance Scheme is anoda legacy of OBJ which d current governor of Edo state once publicly commended d FG for while he was NLC Chairman. Oshiomole publicly acknowledged d scheme as a dividend of democracy during d launch of d scheme.

While OBJ should not be seen as a saint, I strongly believe he laid some very good foundations 4 critical sectors of d economy which will only be felt in years 2 come.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by debbleopto: 2:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
alaoeri: If GEJ remains in power for the next 100years, he won't achieve 1/3 of what OBJ achieved. What a trainee president.

not trainee but IT student.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by debbleopto: 2:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
Juan_De_Dios:
A year should be enough to set clear directions and leave some noticeable legacies. You people need to stop being so defensive.

That is possible.

Right. In fairness to Jonathan he has had a lot of distractions. I think his good legacy will be power - if carried through. Industrialisation seems to be making headway and will only improve if power improves. Some will also mention agriculture but I will suspend judgement on that since I have not personally seen home grown rice or cassava bread except on TV.

His bad legacy will be corruption which got worse under his tenure.

Abraham Lincoln had distraction and distractions yet he left SOLID legacies.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by fursh(m): 2:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
TAILAS01:
Oya educate us...list his achievements...

Scroll back, you'd see quite a number of achievements some persons have dropped already. He doesn't have to state them again and even if he does, sentiments won't make you see it.

There's no intelligence in comparing GEJ who has been in power for just 3yrs and OBJ who ruled for 8yrs (2 tenures). Pls lets not be in a hurry to judge, when GEJ is done with his tenures, which probably would end by 2019, then you guys can start the comparation debate (I bet you won't have the Guts to do that cos d difference will b crystal clear in favour of GEJ).

Keep up d good work Pres. GEJ.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by authority2006(m): 2:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.
Somebody helps me correct this liar that GEJ has spent more than 3 years in power and has incurred more debt than OBJ.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by coogar: 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
gazilion:
And how did Satelllite TV or Video machines create jobs or improved the live of the common man in Nigeria. I experienced poverty and never had to use satellite or video machines beside other reasons. However, the liberalization of the telecoms industry in Nigeria (which broke NITELS monopoly) created numerous employment opportunities for our graduates, gave them a social status and allowed struggling families to own mobile handsets.

you are a stark illiterate....
there was no liberation of telecoms industry - we just experienced a technological age where the use of mobile phones was necessary. many west african countries were already using mobile phones which then means even a monkey in power would have created an enabling environment for mobile phone usage in nigeria.

stop giving credits for policies that are quite normal. there were several telecoms companies operating in nigeria before the mobile technology era in 2001. multilinks started operating as far back as 1994 and their services were way better than NITEL. then you went on to say video machines were irrelevant when it's as clear as daylight that was the vehicle that made nollywood what it is today.

If you are now comparing the GSM revolution achievement with satellite TV or video machines - I'll leave the world to judge who the stark illiterate is!

you should facepalm....
ghana started their revolution as far back as 1992. by 1998, a sizeable chunk of their population were using mobile phones & now you want to give credits to OBJ for playing catch-up with the rest of his neighbours in the west african region? you should go back and write UME. your first degree was a waste of everyone's time including yourself!
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by dicksonchidi(m): 2:38pm On Oct 08, 2013
[b][/b
gazilion: I just discussed with two of my colleagues during lunch today on President Jonathan's legacy or would be legacy after leaving office. Comparing him with our ex-president OBJ, I did point out 6 things that would remain a legacy and which positively impacted on the lives of virtually all average Nigerian families. I understand OBJ spent 8 years in office but with Jonathan's first term, any hope he'll surpass the legacies below?

Firstly, Obasanjo introduced and liberalised the use of the GSM. Prior to this, telephone - whether land or mobile was almost exclusively for the rich.

Secondly, it was under the Obasanjo leadership that Nigeria's debt got written off in the Paris Club.

Thirdly, it was Obasanjo who bravely retired all Military men in the Nigerian Army who had tasted or held any political office.

Fourthly, it was also under his leadership that the Nigerian banking institution got brilliant reformations (although with some lapses) - This reformation stopped the total collapse of the financial institution in Nigeria during global financial melt down.

Fifthly, under OBJ Prof. Dora Akunyili of NAFDAC brought back in Nigeria the integrity of pharmaceutical drugs and fought vehemently without ethnic colouration, the barons importing fake drugs in Nigeria.

Finally, the fight against corruption under OBJ's leadership did have some bite. Whether it was used in hunting political opponents or not...it did have some bite and we are all witnesses that since the exit of Mallam Ribadu, the anti-corruption institution has virtually lost her voice and temerity.

I'm just thinking aloud, what will president Jonathan's Legacy be?

Please, let's discuss with a sense of decorum without insulting one another including calling our leaders Obscene names.
pls let let's be sincere to each other,since jonathan became the president of this great nation which project have he completed.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by fursh(m): 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
dickson chidi: [b][/bpls let let's be sincere to each other,since jonathan became the president of this great nation which project have he completed.

Obviously you cannot see it cos you just can't see good things, for reasons best known to you. SMH

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by hillsate: 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
Our real democracy started in 1999 with OBJ laying the foundations for 8 years while Yaradua also built on it for the period he was alive.
GEJ fully came into power after about 12yrs of the kick off with OBJ.
We expect GEJ to be shining now because the ground work was already done rather what we see is GEJ pulling down all that was achieved prior to his coming.
Guys this is not about 3yrs of GEJ, but about what he has enhanced in the last 3yrs.
I AM CURRENTLY WISHING OBJ WAS GIVEN A THIRD TERM and not this thing we call governance today.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by levelszik(m): 3:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
nkem Kalu: ......arrant NONESENSE .......LEGACY MY FOOT
for ur yeye mind
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by tomakint: 3:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
authority2006: Somebody helps me correct this liar that GEJ has spent more than 3 years in power and has incurred more debt than OBJ.
Are you alright?
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by alex1612: 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Nonsense! You'r comparing legacies of someone who is just 3 years in office with one that completed 8 years? You'r confused.
The Child that will sharp in life, from his childhood he will be talking and behaving sharp sharp. 7 UP Obj difference is cleared. No non sense for Boko Haram. He protect this nations in so many way. But initially l belief GEJ will perform better. BAABA U TRY OOOOOOOO...
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by dcitizen1: 3:28pm On Oct 08, 2013
There is no basis of comparison bt gej and obj administration. I agreed that obj liberalise the telecommunication industrie and discentralised the nigerian army by retiring high ranking military officers and achieve debt cancellation with ngozi iweala international reputation and sagacity. But one of the biggest drawback of obj administration are but not limited to gross abuse of power- the case of tinubu and obj debacle and the meddling of obj with ibadan and anambra lords, absence of free and fair election, selective persecution of perceived political enemies and incessant plane crashes, high profile political assassination of astute politicians and protracted ASUU strike and complete neglect of a vital sector of the economy which is the aviation section and his mugabe mentality of evalasting presidency. Obj never left a legacy of enduring democracy which includes the rule of law, free and fair election and accountability for 8years. He behaved much like a dictator of the highest order. He muzzzled the judiciary and the press. He put the media under his feet and purnish genuine political opponent tru the killer squad in pdp. He aided political lords in the respective states especially anambra and ibadan ( kris uba and the late adedebu, the father of amala politics). He make huge joke and nonsense of his 8years rule to fight his political enemy , one of which is the case of the relocation of orji uzor kalu's slok airline to gambia based on purely political vendatta. I didnot and i will never envy obj legacy but others may do becos of historical amnestia or sheer and primodial sentiment. however
Gej has jst spent 2yrs in office and his remarkable achievements are visible in the aviation sector, transportation, agriculture and power dat will restored the lost glory of nigeria as a whole. For the first time in the history of this country, the east has an international airport status which implies a huge economic progress for the enterprising pple and completion of the sea port in anambra. The plan for the second niger bridges is in process and the privatisation of the phcn means massive revolution for steady power supply in time to come. Endowment fund for the growth of the entertainment industry which will help to launder the image of the country abroad is in progress. The ever busy lagos-ibadan express way is in prgress and benin ore road dualisation is almost completed. The rail way transport is functioning optimal but there is still room for improvement. Remodelling of the airport across the state of the federation and re-certification of the aircraft are all visible achievemnt. But these giant strides may not be visible to those who have hardend their mind against gej and pray for his failure or those who are pistil weilding critics and collective children of anger. It is difficult for a good and great leaders to perform in an atmosphere of war or in a country dat practically play politics with every thing including security, religion, health, education , employment and others. Whether u like it or not, there is a civil war going on in some section in the north which has painted a gloomy picture of political instability dat discourage genuine investors dat intends to bring dat capital and busiess expertise. The hallmark of gej administration are conduct of free and fair election and rule of law which were practically absence in the dictator, obj. Under gej leadership, our best of day is certainly ahead of us. Let hope for a better and brighter nigeria ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by rhowly(m): 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2013

Not just 8yrs, but requested 4 more years grin
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by rhowly(m): 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by majorgeeboy: 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2013

point of correction. five years in office plus two years as vice president, making 7. but basically 5 years as president
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ohisola(f): 4:02pm On Oct 08, 2013
I don't get y are pple sayin GEJ has spent only 3yrs in office angry Abeg who rule us after Yaradua die? angry abi we b get anoda oga @ d top wen dey mak decisions?

So don't come here spewing rubbish, if he was the president and GCFR whether by virtue of death or election, he had power to make reforms, and change watever he felt he needed 2 change, so 4 him 2 hav done almost nothin tangible 4 d past 5 years, only proves he won't do anytin even if given 4more years.

Na 2day we kn say 4 Naija no leader dey perform well in their 2nd tenure, even baba himself OBJ, his 2nd tenure recorded almost all d evils he's known 4 2day. So mak Jonah do mak e commot.

TEAM NO LEADER STAYS MORE THAN ONE TENURE

#u cannot be better than Nelson Mandele and he stayed 4 1 tenure#
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by gazilion: 4:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
coogar:

you are a stark illiterate....
there was no liberation of telecoms industry - we just experienced a technological age where the use of mobile phones was necessary. many west african countries were already using mobile phones which then means even a monkey in power would have created an enabling environment for mobile phone usage in nigeria.

stop giving credits for policies that are quite normal. there were several telecoms companies operating in nigeria before the mobile technology era in 2001. multilinks started operating as far back as 1994 and their services were way better than NITEL. then you went on to say video machines were irrelevant when it's as clear as daylight that was the vehicle that made nollywood what it is today.

you should facepalm....
ghana started their revolution as far back as 1992. by 1998, a sizeable chunk of their population were using mobile phones & now you want to give credits to OBJ for playing catch-up with the rest of his neighbours in the west african region? you should go back and write UME. your first degree was a waste of everyone's time including yourself!

hahaha...@cougar...honestly I was laughing while reading your post but then decided to check your profile...(I should have done this earlier). I regret sharing ideas with someone whose profile pix is a monkey! It was a waste of time! An absolute waste of precious time!! Anyways...lesson learnt.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by debbleopto: 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
fursh:

Scroll back, you'd see quite a number of achievements some persons have dropped already. He doesn't have to state them again and even if he does, sentiments won't make you see it.

There's no intelligence in comparing GEJ who has been in power for just 3yrs and OBJ who ruled for 8yrs (2 tenures). Pls lets not be in a hurry to judge, when GEJ is done with his tenures, which probably would end by 2019, then you guys can start the comparation debate (I bet you won't have the Guts to do that cos d difference will b crystal clear in favour of GEJ).

Keep up d good work Pres. GEJ.

see your wisdom (ignorance ) . you don't know what is called CGPA. Jonathan is already scoring 29% in 100 - 300 level. it will affect his final CGPA.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by worksmart(m): 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
Balewa introduced TV

Buhari Introduced computers

Abacha introduced car phones.

Lol!!

It is indicative of Obj's lack of achievement, that the only things his supporters claim he achieved was giving us gsm. What nonesense!

Even then he could not be credited with GSM as it was Abacha that issued the 1st GSM licence

coogar:

this bit already tells me you are perhaps a stark illiterate. OBJ introduced what? so are you going to commend IBB for introducing satellite TV in nigeria or shagari for introducing video machines?

arrant nonsense!
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by ganye1: 4:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
awodman: 1) Our elections are now free and fair under GEJ as evident in Edo, Ondo and in the 2011 general elections..the benefits of the people having the power to hire and fire need not be over-emphasized

2) The power reforms of GEJ will dwarf any legacy OBJ left behind

3) Our mass transit systems viz rail, roads, ports and airports will also be another legacy

4) Demystification of Governance and all the secrecy associated with it

5) The reforms in agriculture will also be another legacy
So according to youJonathan's achievements are 'will be'.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by karpentar: 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
Obasanjo was the Project Manager for the slaughter of innocent Odi citizens - GEJ wasn't.
Obasanjo was the Project Manager for the invasion and massacre of innocent Zaki Biam Citizens - GEJ wasn't.
Obasanjo plotted with EFFC and illegally impeached serving Governors - GEJ hasn't yet succeeded with Amaechi.
Obasanjo induced senators with stolen money to impeach unfavourable senate presidents and house speakers - The assembly has been stable under GEJ.
Obasanjo spearheaded the removal of several PDP chairmen - GEJ opposite.
Obasanjo wasted billions of Nigerian money pursuing illegal third term - GEJ hasn’t.
Under Obasanjo, there were many political killings such as Bola Ige, Marshal Harry, Dikibo - None under GEJ
Obasanjo is not a university graduate - GEJ is.
Obasanjo sleeps with his daughter-in-law - GEJ doesn't.....
Obasanjo irritatingly coughs after every second of speech - GEJ doesn't.

The only common thing is that both defeated Buhari.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by howfarwhatagwan: 4:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
Haha Nigerians when are we going to set ourselves free from the bondage of tribal sentiments? People are willing to die just to defend their own na wow oh I tire for una.

- To be fair let us wait for GEJ to finish his tenure before we start this thread.

- With all sentiments aside I must painfully admit that as things stand right now OBJ looks like a saint when compared to GEJ.

- Yes GEJ has had lots of troubles but how has he managed these issues? OBJ had lots of troubles as well if I remember correctly.

GEJ just a few weeks ago was quoted to have said ''Nigerians are corrupt and he does not want to start mentioning names before he will be attacked'' for me that statement if true is the most absurd and shocking thing I have ever heard a president say and made me wonder what he is really doing on that presidential seat if he does not even know the power he wields.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by eightsin(m): 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
This comparison lacks basis... Lets wait till GEJ spends 8years in office or at least the 1st tenure.
All thesame, pikin continue frm whr papa stop. If papa no put tinz in place , pikin no go achv much.
All i'm tryin to say is that everytin they did/are doing is part of our developmnt as a country
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by dollarlander: 5:02pm On Oct 08, 2013

The child that will see next year, it is today we will know. Everything is pointing to the fact that he cannot surpass those legacies.
But to be very candid, Jonathan is a man of his words.
1. I am going to increase fuel pump price, Jan 1, fuel price jacked to 144 naira per litre. It took God's intervention to bring it back to 97naira.
2. I am going to fix Rail way line, the next thing is commissioning.
3. I am going to fix NEPA, commissioned geregu 2, omothoso 2 power plants.
4. I am going to privatise NEPA, NEPA being handed over to buyers. if this is effectively implemented, that alone can surpass obasanjo's legacy.
5. BOKO Haram is going to pay for this, next thing sending military to North East, and creating military baracks in the region. But he lacks the will to cut the head of the BOKO Haram sponsors because that will be suicide mission.

But why can't he stop the oil bunkering in the NDelta. I think he is involved.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by benzion72(m): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
OBJ is an oak while GEJ is a sapling.
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Ak4ril(m): 5:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
GEJ has a number of acheivements I won't want us to forget:
1. Jan 1st fuel subsidy removal
2. Boko Haram
3. ASUU strike
4. Doctors' strike
5. ASUP strike
6. World's most cursed president (confirm on google if you doubt)

And the list goes on and on....

The guy is the greatest mistake Nigeria ever made
JONATHAN...Just On National Assignment To Hurt All Nigerians
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by elrony(m): 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
OBJ the worst thing that ever happened to a Democractic Nigeria!!
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by Abariwiseman: 6:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
OBJ 8yrs was a monumental waste.
Any dummy president could easily issue licence to GSM operators but it takes a prudent president to tackle electical power problem
Re: Comparing Legacies - Obasanjo Vs Goodluck Jonathan by HARDUBUY(m): 6:38pm On Oct 08, 2013
chukwudi44: GEJ privatisation of the power sector alone will rubbish everything Obasanjo achieved throughout his tenure

guy, you lied. the ongoing strike by ASUU now 100 days and counting shows that gej has nothing to offer Nigerians, cos the bedrock of every nation is education. u and ur president needs medical check.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria's School Feeding Prrogramme Featured On Al-jazeera. / Wike Sacks Blessing Chimezie Didia, Rivers State University VC, Deputy / Buhari Cancels Scheduled Appearance Before House Of Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.