Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? (5476 Views)

LMAO When A Woman Can No Longer Control Her Jealousy (pics) / LMAO When A Woman Can No Longer Control Her Jealousy (photos) / My Girlfriend Doesn't Know How To Express Her Emotions For Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 8:58pm On May 21, 2013
So here's the thing. I have been friends with this girl for 9 years plus now. We were dating since 2010, but I broke up with her late last year(a bad decision I made, and that I regret a lot). Why did I do that?

Ever since we started dating, we had fights, too often. Things that I saw as not enough to stir up an argument, she argued about. For example, she's in a school where they use payphones, so she has to be the one to call me, right, and then I call her back immediately. We spoke literally everyday; I tried my best to be available every time she called. Because of this situation, even if I am busy, I try my best to give her that time and answer the call. In an event where I am unable to pick up or answer, or say it's the middle of the day (and I have run out of credit I bought in the morning and I cannot buy credit at that particular time or something), when I do eventually call back, feeling apologetic, she is upset, doesn't respond well and it practically ruins the whole conversation. I try to revive it per se, to get her back in a discussing mood; sometimes it works, sometimes I am just there hanging on a one-way sorta conversation with one word responses (like yes, no, etc) from her. This is just an example of a scenario.

To be honest, we never fought because say, I cheated or I insulted her or something "relatively" serious. Don't get me wrong, I am not the patron saint of relationships. I have my "flaws"; I forget some stuff, I might come like 30 to an hour late on a date, so there. However on this day, I was tired. We had fought so many times that week, I was just tired. I sorta blurted it out that I wanted a break, and it was like "Oh no, but there is no turning back". So we broke up. Later on when we met, we talked. We love each other a lot, so right now we are friends and we have plans of hopefully getting back together. But that's the secondary reason why I am here.

The primary reason is this: I told her yesterday that she needs to control her emotions. The spontaneity of it all, unexpected days where I am looking forward to talking to her, and it seems like once she comes on and says something I supposedly did or didn't do, I just lose my excitement. It just seemed too much for me: mood swings, etc. Today, she called saying that she saw it as an insult on her person, and that I could not say such.

What do you think? Was it a bad idea for me to say that to her? How do I get her to know that her on-off thing is driving me nuts.

Please, I need sincere and serious contributions here, cos I am super confused here. Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by 190theclown: 9:05pm On May 21, 2013
space reserved
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 21, 2013
*consulting my muse as to what advice I should give you at the moment*
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 21, 2013
190-the-clown:
space reserved

Clown
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 21, 2013
Never mind it's just one of your numerous fights. . .
By the way brother, pray hard for this relationship is heading to the rocks

2 Likes

Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by clemz85(m): 9:29pm On May 21, 2013
sir, e be lyk say dis ur mata pass ppl here o
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by 190theclown: 9:32pm On May 21, 2013
clemz85: sir, e be lyk say dis ur mata pass ppl here o

ROTFL grin grin grin grin
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 21, 2013
First of all, get a hold of your own emotions, you'll need to be strong now.
That said, you have to realise that you're being emotionally abused. You're probably walking on eggshells already. You might fight with your partner but, you really don't need such petty issues twisting your balls.
Your boo is most likely emotionally dependent or insecure and she'll need to leech off you, problem is you'll end up drained, spent and losing yourself in the process.
The solution is to kick her over-emotional as$ to the curb.
Thank me later.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 21, 2013
You are the one that needs to control your emotions. Women are emotional creatures. Nothing like too emotional. Some of them are just good at not showing it. There are better ways of conveying your feelings to a woman. No one likes to be blamed for anything, even you. So, learn to talk. Tell her how you feel when she acts in a certain way so that she knows she hurts you somehow.

2 Likes

Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:57pm On May 21, 2013
baibijay: Never mind it's just one of your numerous fights. . .
By the way brother, pray hard for this relationship is heading to the rocks
dnt waste ur time prayin on what won't work!

Wen u pick up behaviors, it can be replaced by a better one. But wen it in hemmed into her gene, u can't change dt. U will alwys get confused cos she can't jes do witout it in two weeks.

Now, wen u delude urself in such a 'clownish' manner, u say, 'i can change her' or 'with time, he will change'! Sorry dude, u're on a long thing!
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 11:03pm On May 21, 2013
I will have takes on both of your comments.

sexkillz: You are the one that needs to control your emotions. Women are emotional creatures. Nothing like too emotional. Some of them are just good at not showing it. There are better ways of conveying your feelings to a woman. No one likes to be blamed for anything, even you. So, learn to talk. Tell her how you feel when she acts in a certain way so that she knows she hurts you somehow.

First off, I agree with you to an extent @sexkillz. I told her what I told her with the best intentions, or so I thought, not something to mean "Oh shut up, stop being a baby and deal with things". I understand women are emotional, and to the best of my knowledge, I have tried to respond to events with her knowing that fact. You say some are good at not showing it. Not to be too selfish, but if that is the case i.e. she is not "too emotional", how do I tell her to not show it too much? Because I am feeling something here, whether it is my emotions or something else, I do not know, but I know that it is getting to me a lot now. Much of what I have done is to suck up some of the tension; take things like a punching bag per se. Now though, I think I am beginning to rip up gradually as the stress is getting to me. I have tried not too be subjective and biased, and I evaluated myself: am I that impatient, emotionally-dead that I do not respond to her cries and wants, thus making her act out like this? Am I that wicked that I act in such terrible ways that make her react like this? What I might be facing might be 1/10th of what others are facing, so one might think suck it up. I just want to resolve things, not break them up. I want to let her know that "look, this thing indeed is hurting me somehow". If telling her to control her emotions was too harsh, I pray I come up with a more subtle way of telling her, conveying my feelings like you said. I can tell you though, she sees most comments about her personality as an attack on her person, even comments from me. Sometimes, she listens; sometimes, she doesn't.
Thank you for your thought though. I appreciate it.

fresh_dude: First of all, get a hold of your own emotions, you'll need to be strong now.
That said, you have to realise that you're being emotionally abused. You're probably walking on eggshells already. You might fight with your partner but, you really don't need such petty issues twisting your balls.
Your boo is most likely emotionally dependent or insecure and she'll need to leech off you, problem is you'll end up drained, spent and losing yourself in the process.
Thank me later.

Thanks for your contribution. Err, wow. I will get back to this in a bit.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:04pm On May 21, 2013
sexkillz: You are the one that needs to control your emotions. Women are emotional creatures. Nothing like too emotional. Some of them are just good at not showing it. There are better ways of conveying your feelings to a woman. No one likes to be blamed for anything, even you. So, learn to talk. Tell her how you feel when she acts in a certain way so that she knows she hurts you somehow.
dude, u seriously are clouded by d word 'emotional' in d write-up, right? But according to d writer, does it add up?
The girl is quick to temper, a type dt sees a way out of no way to create trouble!

Av met quite some girls like dt. 'Emotional' in ds context is fuckin disapproving!

So, u dnt av to go all up and slide of the fault from d lady jes cos WE knw they are 'emotional', and slap d blame oon d guy for not keepin is in check!

Wot sorta lady gets angry jes cos i told her to shhe reacts to quick to her emotions. It aint an insult, it's an advice.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 21, 2013
Sir Gbogs: I will have takes on both of your comments.

First off, I agree with you to an extent @sexkillz. I told her what I told her with the best intentions, or so I thought, not something to mean "Oh shut up, stop being a baby and deal with things". I understand women are emotional, and to the best of my knowledge, I have tried to respond to events with her knowing that fact. You say some are good at not showing it. Not to be too selfish, but if that is the case i.e. she is not "too emotional", how do I tell her to not show it too much? Because I am feeling something here, whether it is my emotions or something else, I do not know, but I know that it is getting to me a lot now. Much of what I have done is to suck up some of the tension; take things like a punching bag per se. Now though, I think I am beginning to rip up gradually as the stress is getting to me. I have tried not too be subjective and biased, and I evaluated myself: am I that impatient, emotionally-dead that I do not respond to her cries and wants, thus making her act out like this? Am I that wicked that I act in such terrible ways that make her react like this? What I might be facing might be 1/10th of what others are facing, so one might think suck it up. I just want to resolve things, not break them up. I want to let her know that "look, this thing indeed is hurting me somehow". If telling her to control her emotions was too harsh, I pray I come up with a more subtle way of telling her, conveying my feelings like you said. I can tell you though, she sees most comments about her personality as an attack on her person, even comments from me. Sometimes, she listens; sometimes, she doesn't.
Thank you for your thought though. I appreciate it.

Thanks for your contribution. Err, wow. I will get back to this in a bit.
Again, I say, you are being emotionally abused. And I'd like to let you know that this is only the beginning.
You guys don't see everyday and this is happening, wait till she moves in with you.
This does not sound like a relationship that will end well. Not to say that there won't be a happily-ever-after, but not with the status quo.
Get yourself together and do the needful. You'll record more progress in your life dropping this babe. Either you stay single or get a woman who'll let you be you and handles situations in a mature, or at least, reasonable manner.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 21, 2013
so you told her that she needs to control her emotions..then she calls you and tells you thats you insulted her by saying that? Dude this girl is full of pride, ego, and arrogance....Let her go ASAP you can do better than this...I have Zero tolerance for pride, ego, and arrogance...and I suggest you do too..... it will make ur life much easier...any relationship with these in it is bound to fail...don't even waste ur time...
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 11:27pm On May 21, 2013
The problem is not what you said, but how you said it. Anyone would be offended if you tell them to "control their emotions". And as you can see, your tactic was not successful. Not only did it not work, it made things worse. You could've worded that in a totally different manner that would've been more easy on her already-sensitive nature.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 11:33pm On May 21, 2013
fresh_dude: First of all, get a hold of your own emotions, you'll need to be strong now.
Thank me later.

Hmmm. I do agree with you about being emotionally abused. I mentioned earlier that I'm sort of a punching bag, but now I feel like I'm about to rip open with all of the things I have been trying to take in. Is there a way to find some sort of equilibrium, if she is emotionally dependent as you suggested?

fresh_dude: Again, I say, you are being emotionally abused. And I'd like to let you know that this is only the beginning.
You guys don't see everyday and this is happening, wait till she moves in with you.
This does not sound like a relationship that will end well. Not to say that there won't be a happily-ever-after, but not with the status quo.
Get yourself together and do the needful. You'll record more progress in your life dropping this babe. Either you stay single or get a woman who'll let you be you and handles situations in a mature, or at least, reasonable manner.

Although there is not a lot to judge her by given all you know of her is all I have written, but in your opinion, do you think she will be able to change, find a way around whatever makes her act this way? Like I mentioned, we are not dating. Try not to see it as a wild-goose chase or that I am on some sort of fool's paradise, but I'd like to explore every option before just moving on because I really like her. I'd like to hear any suggestion you have apart from drop-and-go, if any. Thanks.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 11:34pm On May 21, 2013
SLIDE waxie: dnt waste ur time prayin on what won't work!

Wen u pick up behaviors, it can be replaced by a better one. But wen it in hemmed into her gene, u can't change dt. U will alwys get confused cos she can't jes do witout it in two weeks.

Now, wen u delude urself in such a 'clownish' manner, u say, 'i can change her' or 'with time, he will change'! Sorry dude, u're on a long thing!

Hmmm.. Noted. Thanks sir.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 11:38pm On May 21, 2013
Yield: The problem is not what you said, but how you said it. Anyone would be offended if you tell them to "control their emotions". And as you can see, your tactic was not successful. Not only did it not work, it made things worse. You could've worded that in a totally different manner that would've been more easy on her already-sensitive nature.

Well, I understand that. I really hope that "subtle" way comes to my mind. I tried to back up the comment by explaining to her what I meant, but no avail. First strike had sealed the deal, every other thing was a no-no for her. Thank you for your contribution though.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by BlackSwan: 12:00am On May 22, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
so you told her that she needs to control her emotions..then she calls you and tells you thats you insulted her by saying that? Dude this girl is full of pride and ego....Let her go ASAP you can do better than this...I have Zero tolerance for pride and ego...and I suggest you do too..... it will make ur life much easier...
I agree
the girl sounds so arrogant
but then again we are only hearing op's side of the story so there should be more to this matter that we don't know
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 12:09am On May 22, 2013
It would seem that I have jumped, as in oyakhilome.
If she's just a friendly ex, I suggest you keep her at arms length. You, no doubt, recollect good memories from being with her, but that's as good as it gets. I mean, you did break up with her for a reason.
I am strongly of the opinion that she needs to get a hold of her emotions.
Also, like I said earlier, get your own emotions together as well. The dating/relationship/marriage world is not for the weak, the weak get the wrongest deals. Perhaps you project an aura of weakness and vulnerability to her, hence her constant emotional badgering. It's not impossible to rid her of this mindset, but it's not worth the effort, as the resources(time, energy, emotions, etc) spent therein could be put to better use.
As per equilibrium, I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but, I know that:
1. If she's generally like this with everyone, the only change will be one by the Holy Ghost.
2. If she's like that with you, you need to leave her be and move on. Really.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 12:10am On May 22, 2013
Black Swan:
I agree
the girl sounds so arrogant
but then again we are only hearing op's side of the story so there should be more to this matter that we don't know

Well, there's only so much I can say here. She is a good person, I have no complaints about err, her in that aspect. When I did mention to her to control her emotions, like @Yield said, it might have offended her, maybe it was harsh in a way. However, I did my best to explain one or two scenarios, where she reacted this way or that, and therefore why I think she should listen to what I said.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 12:16am On May 22, 2013
@fresh_dude:
Noted. Thank you. I hope for the best.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by confidencemanus(f): 1:24am On May 22, 2013
:oIf she cant take little corrections from U̶̲̥̅̊ now..how will she do dt when U̶̲̥̅̊ guys are married?
Sir Gbogs: So here's the thing. I have been friends with this girl for 9 years plus now. We were dating since 2010, but I broke up with her late last year(a bad decision I made, and that I regret a lot). Why did I do that?

Ever since we started dating, we had fights, too often. Things that I saw as not enough to stir up an argument, she argued about. For example, she's in a school where they use payphones, so she has to be the one to call me, right, and then I call her back immediately. We spoke literally everyday; I tried my best to be available every time she called. Because of this situation, even if I am busy, I try my best to give her that time and answer the call. In an event where I am unable to pick up or answer, or say it's the middle of the day (and I have run out of credit I bought in the morning and I cannot buy credit at that particular time or something), when I do eventually call back, feeling apologetic, she is upset, doesn't respond well and it practically ruins the whole conversation. I try to revive it per se, to get her back in a discussing mood; sometimes it works, sometimes I am just there hanging on a one-way sorta conversation with one word responses (like yes, no, etc) from her. This is just an example of a scenario.

To be honest, we never fought because say, I cheated or I insulted her or something "relatively" serious. Don't get me wrong, I am not the patron saint of relationships. I have my "flaws"; I forget some stuff, I might come like 30 to an hour late on a date, so there. However on this day, I was tired. We had fought so many times that week, I was just tired. I sorta blurted it out that I wanted a break, and it was like "Oh no, but there is no turning back". So we broke up. Later on when we met, we talked. We love each other a lot, so right now we are friends and we have plans of hopefully getting back together. But that's the secondary reason why I am here.

The primary reason is this: I told her yesterday that she needs to control her emotions. The spontaneity of it all, unexpected days where I am looking forward to talking to her, and it seems like once she comes on and says something I supposedly did or didn't do, I just lose my excitement. It just seemed too much for me: mood swings, etc. Today, she called saying that she saw it as an insult on her person, and that I could not say such.

What do you think? Was it a bad idea for me to say that to her? How do I get her to know that her on-off thing is driving me nuts.

Please, I need sincere and serious contributions here, cos I am super confused here. Thank you.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 1:47am On May 22, 2013
This issue almost pass me but I will give my advice.

op needs a lot of patience if he wants to make this relationship work. Some women can be very emotional as sexkillz said, I must be sincere. Some of us are good at handling it, though but some just don't handle it well. They crave soooooooooooo much for attention and when you don't give it to them or they think you're not giving it enough, they get really angry. That being said, I think you need to know the root of her issue. Some people here have mentioned arrogance and pride, some have mentioned being an emotional abuser, some have said she's just too emotional...Which of these do you think it is? I would say she's just too emotional.

Now, if that is the case, you need to let her know that you really love her and she is really important to you. This, you need to do on a constant basis because even if you've shown her love for 10 whole years and mess up once, she would still vex for you. I tell you, this attitude has tire me, even in some of my female friends. They're just too dependent on you emotionally and it can be really tiring.

Finally, if you don't love her enough, this whole thing might be too difficult for you to handle. So, you might just need to continue to be ex-es forever, most especially, if she's not willing to change.

MAY GOD HELP YOU!
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 2:00am On May 22, 2013
Like i said....you need to break up with this girl first.....when yo do two thigs will happen...

1) you and her realize how much you really love each other...and calm down and make it work.

2) you and her are extremely happy that all the fighting,headaches, and drama stopped..and realized that you guys are just not meant to be.....then you comeback here to thank me and give me an offering.....
I only accept Cash

The latter is the hardest decision to make but ultimately its the best one....or else you become a slave in ur own relationship a slave to your girl's temper and emotions...you can do better than that.... Dude there are too many women in this world to die over one.....
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 4:10am On May 22, 2013
Being an emotional person myself I have to say this pride and arrogance have nothing to do with it. There are always triggers to these outbursts and sometimes it stems from miscommunication.

Maybe you told her she is too emotional like its a tap and she should just turn it off.
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 5:43am On May 22, 2013
Dude we are in the same situation....jeez, I stopped talking to her, I mean not like before we now talk like every 5 days....to avoid conflicts wink lipsrsealed
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:59am On May 22, 2013
Yield: The problem is not what you said, but how you said it. Anyone would be offended if you tell them to "control their emotions". And as you can see, your tactic was not successful. Not only did it not work, it made things worse. You could've worded that in a totally different manner that would've been more easy on her already-sensitive nature.
*in ramsey noah's voice* contol ur emotions!
How abt dt? grin
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by 50calibre(m): 8:46am On May 22, 2013
You are dealing with someone who has a bi-polar disorder, what I don't understand is why you are still contemplating about such a dangerous individual, would your wake up call be when she shoots you?

Go find yourself another girlfriend, this a woman, a COMMON woman that can be replaced anytime, anyday, why beat yourself
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by modextus(m): 9:05am On May 22, 2013
Boss I've had such problem TOo...

But the truth ιѕ that they just won't understand...
Re: I Told My Girlfriend To Control Her Emotions, And She Is Angry. What Do I Do? by SirGbogs: 10:03am On May 22, 2013
modextus: Boss I've had such problem TOo...

But the truth ιѕ that they just won't understand...

Bros, e tire me o. I think I am worn-out. You said you've "had" such problems; maybe the same exact one, maybe not. What did you do to get out of it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Your Boyfriend Does This Don't Marry Him / Who Is The Prettiest Among These South Eastern Baes? / Igbo Women Make S3x Too Stressful - Nigerian Man Laments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.