Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,576 members, 7,850,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:32 AM

Sean Bell Trial Verdict - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sean Bell Trial Verdict (4042 Views)

Picture Of Governor Wike Holding A Bell / Amaechi Lands In Rivers In Style Following Wike's Election Verdict (Photos) / Senate President Bukola Saraki's Trial Verdict Postponed Indefinitely.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by redsun(m): 4:21pm On Apr 26, 2008
A case of animals in humans skin,american justice is a case of hell knows,injustices stinks there,that is why i'm surprise any good will person,black or white will prefer hillary to Obama.

The society needs purging,rednecks are living robots,they are schooled from childhood to hate,it is hard to let go,just like the effects of religion in africa and the rest of the third,including america too,a developed third world.Inborn orientations built on fear,manipulations,greed and hate.

Kudos to the whites that backs Obama,they can see
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 4:41pm On Apr 26, 2008
These cops aren't robots. They are human beings, with wives, sons and daughters. They have families they want to go home alive to

My friend, I'm sorry to inform you that cops have options to be pilot, taxi driver, lawyer, house cleaner and so on. It is not by force to be a cop; if you can't follow the rules and respect human lives because of the risk that comes with the job, I will advise you to go and be a pastor. And FYI, this is exactly  how they're informed at the beginning of their training.

They absolutely have choice, but the citizens on the other hand do not have choice to select which cops should be allowed to carry gun.

Yes, their job is risky without any questions, but at the same time this doesn't permit them to kill as they desire because they have families they want to go home alive to.

Absolutely rubbish!
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 4:51pm On Apr 26, 2008
It is also scary and very interesting to me that if the table is turned and the cops happen to be US army, victims happen to be Iraqis and location happens to be Baghdad (war Zone).
I bet you that the US army would have been severely punished for their careless action just to keep things stable; but it isn't so when it comes to blacks in US. I wonder why keeping things stable at home (between white and black) isn't a priority.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 5:01pm On Apr 26, 2008
@BigB1

Noone talking about choice here. i'm saying Cops are human beings who very much want to stay alive. Any cop with a deathwish is a bad cop, simple as that. Please learn to stop, think and READ before jumping to conclusions.

Please don't derail this discussion by dragging Iraq into it. Too many bad vibes from that subject matter.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by redsun(m): 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2008
The problems of blackman lies in his hands,most people are ignorant of the real issue,they don't give a Bleep about you.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 5:11pm On Apr 26, 2008
Noone talking about choice here. i'm saying Cops are human beings who very much want to stay alive. Any cop with a deathwish is a bad cop, simple as that. Please learn to stop, think and READ before jumping to conclusions.

Please don't derail this discussion by dragging Iraq into it. Too many bad vibes from that subject matter.

The description of an excellent cop is simple: and it is called "Selfless"

As a cop, when you start thinking about your wife, your children, your car, your dog, your house or yourself, then it's time for you to look for other career (and infact many who couldn't take the risk have done just this).
It isn't by force, it is absolutely a risky job and also it isn't for everybody.

You should take your own advise; You do not need to read, just learn to Stop and think!
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 5:17pm On Apr 26, 2008
And nobody is trying to drag Iraq into this mess; Iraq scenario just happens to be a factual example of how much respect you (texazzpete) get in US.

Good luck and I hope you wouldn't experience a terrible scenario before you wake up!
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by Ibime(m): 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2008
A few shots can kill someone easily. Why so many shots?
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 6:52pm On Apr 26, 2008
@Ibime
Because single shot guns are extinct!

Seriously, Most semi-automatics fire in burst mode. You can fire a burst of 3 bullets or so with a single pull of the trigger. Panicking cops could have easily kerked the trigger several times.

@Big B1

You're in such a hurry to denounce my logic that you fail to comprehend what i'm saying.
yes cops should be selfless, but in that Selflessness must be common sense. Our police aren't sent out to die, they are there to solve crime optimally, which means get the best result with the least number of casualties. Any Cop knows his duty is to do his job and return back safe and alive to his family.
When it comes to my life for that of a perp, i know what i'd do.

What you're saying is you expect Police to be perfect. But no one is, not even highly trained personnel. Do we now jail these cops because they aren't perfect, while conveniently forgetting that the victims made a move that triggered the violent reaction?

So answer this question. If you were an armed police man, and 3 people you thought were armed were driving a 2-ton vehicle at you, with the (perceived) intention to ram you, what would you do?

if you were firing blind at a vehicle racing towards you, and you knew there were three men in the car, in all likelihood drawing a bead on you with guns, how many bullets would you fire? One? three?
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 6:53pm On Apr 26, 2008
Sorry to repost this, but this is key

If you were an armed police man, and 3 people you thought were armed were driving a 2-ton vehicle at you, with the (perceived) intention to ram you, what would you do?

if you were firing blind at a vehicle racing towards you, and you knew there were three men in the car, in all likelihood drawing a bead on you with guns, how many bullets would you fire? One? three?
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by redsun(m): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2008
Panicking cops,you thought,man,you are just one loony.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 8:34pm On Apr 26, 2008
you thought they were armed!

@Texazzpete:

That's the main key!

There is no such thing as "you thought" when it comes to armed police man. You must be on point, if you can't, then you should find yourself another job. The police officer's position is not for a dolt or a coward.
You must have the ability to think and react effectively under any circumstances.

Furthermore, there are several effective strategies that could be taken when that word "you thought" comes to your mind. And this is part of their training. You just don't start shooting because folks are black and "you thought they were armed".

The NYPD's action on that sad night is called error; and this is what they haven't admitted.

If every cop walks around with your attitude or state of mind, I wonder how many of you will remain in your neighborhood.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Apr 26, 2008
LMAO!!!!

[size=13pt]Nigerians are the most dishonest, sermonizing group of people when they get into their sanctimonous, self-righteous moods.[/size]
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2008
Mr hype-man, when are you finally going to grow and buy your own car?
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 8:55pm On Apr 26, 2008
I wouldn't drink too much while on duty

I would introduce myself as an undercover police

I wouldn't judge anyone by the color of their skin

I wouldn't judge any one by their social class

I wouldn't pull my gun unless I'm in real danger

If I have to use my gun, I would follow the official protocol : "shoot twice, pause, and observe the situation"

Finally, I would treat others the same way I would prefer myself or any members of my family to be treated.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by Kobojunkie: 8:57pm On Apr 26, 2008
this needs to be blown up and put up somewhere so all that come in through the door here can at see it , LMAO!!!

[size=13pt]Nigerians are the most dishonest, sermonizing group of people when they get into their sanctimonous, self-righteous moods.[/size]
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 9:01pm On Apr 26, 2008
That will be something; may be we should also change the color to red, this way it would easily get all the attention it deserves.

What do you think?
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by bawomolo(m): 10:43pm On Apr 26, 2008
Because single shot guns are extinct!

Seriously, Most semi-automatics fire in burst mode. You can fire a burst of 3 bullets or so with a single pull of the trigger. Panicking cops could have easily kerked the trigger several times.

the key issue here is that Mike Oliver reloaded his gun and fired an additional 16 shots. they may not be guilty of manslaughter but they should have definitely gotten a reckless endangerment charge. what if bystanders were caught in the crossfire. part of being a cop is the ability to handle stress and pressure. they obviously failed here. not a surprise since some NY cops earn has low as 25K a year.

So answer this question. If you were an armed police man, and 3 people you thought were armed were driving a 2-ton vehicle at you, with the (perceived) intention to ram you, what would you do?

u definitely don't reload ur gun after disabling the car. what would u do if u were in a crime ridden area but some guys in plain clothes were point a gun towards u
they were plain clothes police man who didn't identify themselves before pulling out their guns. anyway, seems a federal case is coming. the prosecution witnesses seemed to have been something else.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by Lady2(f): 11:03pm On Apr 26, 2008
Don't be silly. in Nigeria there would be no trial at all. What happened to those policemen that killed those Igbo men in Abuja?

Point out where I said it doesn't happen in Nigeria.

Point is it happens everywhere, not just Nigeria. I know several cases that never went to trial in America too. So you don't be silly.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2008
Big B1:

I would introduce myself as an undercover police

The Cops said they introduced themselves as policemen. the people in the car said they didn't. obviously one group is lying. My money is on the cops being right. Not because it fits my arguments, but because it's standard operating procedure to shout 'Freeze! Police' or something like that because a) it actually makes perps freeze at times b) 90% of the time most crooks will not want to shoot at police.

Big B1:

I wouldn't judge anyone by the color of their skin

I wouldn't judge any one by their social class

And the fact that 2 of the cops are blacks/minorities is lost on you?

Big B1:

I wouldn't pull my gun unless I'm in real danger

Now we're talking! You're on a stakeout, outside a strip club, investigating GUNS, among other things. You're approaching a vehicle you strongly suspect contains weapons.
Perhaps, BigB1, you may choose that moment to carefully tuck your gun in the most unreachable place om your person, but most normal human beings will definitely prefer to have their weapon on hand.
But hey, what do i know? Perhaps you're one tough dude that isn't afraid of guns. Perhaps your concept of real danger is when you're facing an Abrams tank bare-handed. For most other people, that situation could easily represent danger.

Big B1:

If I have to use my gun, I would follow the official protocol : "shoot twice, pause, and observe the situation"

Good. A car's racing towards you, with the intent (you think) to run you down. Inside that car you suspect there are weapons, and the action of the occupants seems to confirm that. Knowing fully well that there are multiple occupants of the vehicle, any of which may be drawing a bead on you, would you

a) fire twice, and then thoughfully pause to examine the results of your phenomenal accuracy (no doubt helped by your ability to slow time down)

b) Fire rapidly at the vehicle, to try and kill the occupants before they kill you?

BigB1, please don't ever quit your job and become a cop. At this rate, you won't survive a week.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 6:24pm On Apr 27, 2008
redsun:

Panicking cops,you thought,man,you are just one loony.

It shouldn't be funny, but the irony in being called a loony by nairaland's resident retard just cracks me up.

Redsun, get off the cheap crack and start contributing to society. Or at least, start contributing to intelligent discourse, not your usual paraga driven rants.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2008
@bawomolo
I agree, cops NEED to be able to handle stress and pressure well, but it's irresponsible to expect humans to always respond perfectly to ALL degrees of stress and pressure.

Go find out what makes brave soldiers crack. Read all about shell shock to know what makes hardened veterans stumble aimlessly on a battlefield. Everyone has his limits, training notwithstanding.

At the end of the day, what went down was that each of those three cops thought he was in a 'kill-or-be-killed' situation. And they had a very shot time to make that decision.
In your case, what would you do if you thought you were in that kind of scenario, and you weren't a superman like BigB1 who'd have all the time in the world to leisurely squeeze off two shots.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by Njoy1(f): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2008
what a kangaroo republic America is - all hail America - the land of the free - the land of human rights - the land to free speech - the land and home to Nigerians - f cuk America and f cuk the white dominated system. Try that in Nigeria and see what happens - fools.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by redsun(m): 9:01pm On Apr 27, 2008
tezzaspete,you are one mentally enslave bruv,and you are far from knowing it,you sound more like a redneck stereotypical depiction of a black male in america,intentionally misunderstood and suppressed.

The fact that black cops are involved in the killing is not an excuse,a typical blackcop in america,especially new york is an ass licker just like you,sell outs,caught up in the limbo of not knowing who they really are,and what the real game is,not blacks and can never be whites,just puppets.

You have a long way to go for you to start seeing clearly,and the problem of black people adds up today because many fail to realise the fundamental issues,right from the days of Marcus Garvey,to Malcolm X,till date,you always have the easy way out indoctrinated bigots.That guy was killed for who he is,negro.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery and call a spade a spade.Originality is priceless,an average whiteman wants things to remain the same as long as they are winning,you keep playing the fool,it is for real.Lost souls.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by BigB11(m): 9:58pm On Apr 27, 2008
tezzaspete,you are one mentally enslave bruv,and you are far from knowing it,you sound more like a redneck stereotypical depiction of a black male in america,intentionally misunderstood and suppressed.

The fact that black cops are involved in the killing is not an excuse,a typical blackcop in america,especially new york is an ass licker just like you,sell outs,caught up in the limbo of not knowing who they really are,and what the real game is,not blacks and can never be whites,just puppets.

You have a long way to go for you to start seeing clearly,and the problem of black people adds up today because many fail to realise the fundamental issues,right from the days of Marcus Garvey,to Malcolm X,till date,you always have the easy way out indoctrinated bigots.That guy was killed for who he is,negro.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery and call a spade a spade.Originality is priceless,an average whiteman wants things to remain the same as long as they are winning,you keep playing the fool,it is for real.Lost souls.

@Texazzpete:
Just because things aren't fancy at home, in Nigeria doesn't permit us to lose our soul and turn into an original American dirty as s licker.
FYI: Real enlightened or well informed whiteman doesn't respect folks (blacks) that intentionally sell themselves at a discounted fee. No matter how much you try, with this kind of attitude you've presented, you will forever be a cheap irreverent black monkey in the eyes of your masters.
No one is asking you to hate whiteman or to make every issue a race issue, but it is also very clever to be aware of the real world and stay away from this playstation artificial comic.

Wow, REDSUN!
I rest my case.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 7:37am On Apr 28, 2008
redsun:

This is why racism will never die out. not because of 'rednecks' as you claim, but because of ignorant hate-mongers like yourself.
There's nothing original in the drivel you spew out on Nairaland. We were hearing the same thing from ignorant hobos and wastrels, hippies spouting useless ideologies and playing at being revolutionaries in the 60s.
Anyone who stands for advancing the cause of the black race will instantly reject you as being of far too little intellect to be of any use whatsoever.

Big B1:

@Texazzpete:
Just because things aren't fancy at home, in Nigeria doesn't permit us to lose our soul and turn into an original American dirty as s licker.
FYI: Real enlightened or well informed whiteman doesn't respect folks (blacks) that intentionally sell themselves at a discounted fee. No matter how much you try, with this kind of attitude you've presented, you will forever be a cheap irreverent black monkey in the[b] eyes of your masters[/b].
No one is asking you to hate whiteman or to make every issue a race issue, but it is also very clever to be aware of the real world and stay away from this playstation artificial comic.

Wow, REDSUN!
I rest my case.

BigB1
kindly show me how you came to the conclusion that i'm living outside the country, or i'm 'supporting the white masters' or i'm a 'sell out'.
if applying logic to an argument makes me a 'sell out', so be it.
Your tacit support for redsun is amusing. Birds of the same feather do flock together.

Good job, anyway. you've turned what used to be an intelligent discussion on legal matters into yet another generic racist thread, making a few racist comments of your own along the way. Good job.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 7:51am On Apr 28, 2008
N-joy:

what a kangaroo republic America is - all hail America - the land of the free - the land of human rights - the land to free speech - the land and home to Nigerians - f cuk America and f cuk the white dominated system. Try that in Nigeria and see what happens - fools.

umm. . . the last high profile case in Nigeria, police officers shot and killed 4 igbo people in abuja. There was a hell of a stink about it, and the furore was monumental.

Guess what? The case didn't even make trial. grin

I don't really understand your point about 'human rights'. The cops were entitled to a fair hearing, and they were acquitted by a jury of their peers.
It's funny how those of you shouting 'human rights' would have cheerfully hung the three cops without even a trial. A basic human right is 'innocent until proven guilty', but you've clearly marked these guys as guilty.
Go figure.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by RichyBlacK(m): 8:05am On Apr 28, 2008
[size=14pt]
It is also scary and very interesting to me that if the table is turned and the cops happen to be US army, victims happen to be Iraqis and location happens to be Baghdad (war Zone).
I bet you that the US army would have been severely punished for their careless action just to keep things stable; but it isn't so when it comes to blacks in US. I wonder why keeping things stable at home (between white and black) isn't a priority.
[/size]

Probably the most profound post on this thread!
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by RichyBlacK(m): 8:13am On Apr 28, 2008
Big B1, redsun, N-joy, Lady, and the est of the sane people watching this thread, I say "Good Job!".

To the rest of the fools and charlatans, pretending to apply "logic to an argument", I just dey laugh grin. Nor worry, e go rish you, una turn go rish!
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 9:03am On Apr 28, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Big B1, redsun, N-joy, Lady, and the est of the sane people watching this thread, I say "Good Job!".

To the rest of the fools and charlatans, pretending to apply "logic to an argument", I just dey laugh grin. Nor worry, e go rish you, una turn go rish!

And Richyblack joins the lynch mob. good for you, man.
Then again, you've fallen far off your perch long since, haven't you? from a bright start arguing against the Bush administration (and yes, even i got taken by your "i don't hate the US, i hate Bush" claims) to joining Nairaland's league of black racists, you certainly have taken a step for the worse.

but i understand; every man loves disciples, and there's a strange fascination for those with the most fanciful conspiracy theories. That, perhaps, explains the sudden upsurge of 'rebels', 'revolutionaries' and conspiracy theorists here in this forum.

If i ever have anything to do with the legal system, all i can ask for is a free and fair trial whether i am the accuser or the accused. I have satisfactorily presented my reasons why i think the courts acquitted the police officers, and i have to assume that none of you have any reasonable thing to say.
because, if you truly had an intelligent opinion to offer, why the recourse to insults and name calling? Those are the tools of the cowardly, the weak and the terminally dumb.
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by RichyBlacK(m): 10:02am On Apr 28, 2008
texazzpete:

And Richyblack joins the lynch mob. good for you, man.
Then again, you've fallen far off your perch long since, haven't you? from a bright start arguing against the Bush administration (and yes, even i got taken by your "i don't hate the US, i hate Bush" claims) to joining Nairaland's league of black racists, you certainly have taken a step for the worse.

but i understand; every man loves disciples, and there's a strange fascination for those with the most fanciful conspiracy theories. That, perhaps, explains the sudden upsurge of 'rebels', 'revolutionaries' and conspiracy theorists here in this forum.

If i ever have anything to do with the legal system, all i can ask for is a free and fair trial whether i am the accuser or the accused. I have satisfactorily presented my reasons why i think the courts acquitted the police officers, and i have to assume that none of you have any reasonable thing to say.
because, if you truly had an intelligent opinion to offer, why the recourse to insults and name calling? Those are the tools of the cowardly, the weak and the terminally dumb.

Mr "logic", can you tell me why White America will make so much noise about a black man "killing dogs" and make sure he's jailed for it, but when the police kill black men, all sorts of stupid excuses are given to ensure that the perpetrators walk?

You alluded to police mistakes (like shooting the game console guy), but the issue is not whether police men are perfect or not, but how are their imperfections handled when the victim is black as opposed to when the victim is white.

I can stake my life and all I hold dearly that if that victim was a blonde, blue-eyed White man, the verdict WILL NOT have been an acquittal.

I throw down a challenge to you!

Show me one instance were a White man or woman was short in the double digits by cops and the cops were acquitted. I only need one instance, just one. I am ready to wait "until Hell freezes over" Apologies to Adlai Stevenson
Re: Sean Bell Trial Verdict by texazzpete(m): 1:48pm On Apr 28, 2008
@RichyBlack
The game console guy was White, not black,

And the cop shot not only him, but his dog as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Seven Xmas Day Bomb Victims Go Blind, Says Priest / Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Apc Wins Round One At Rivers Governorship Election Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.