Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,550 members, 7,843,713 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? (34372 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Godson201333(m): 6:38am On May 26, 2013
obi2012: there are so many misconceptions in this thread...

first of all.. not every nigerian that lives abroad works menial jobs.. there are many of us that are professionals that have been making six figures for a while so its not like people are suffering here.. Besides there are menial jobs that pay good money..

secondly, lets face it, its hard to get ahead in nigeria unless you have connections, the employment opportunities in nigeria are limited.. the unemployment in america has a lot to do with people being too big to try certain jobs or their ego not letting them take certain jobs.. if you want to feed yourself and have a roof over your head in the US, you will be provided that opportunity.. Lastly if all else fails, there is always social welfare..

thirdly, the part about americans not having money is not generally true.. the thing that kills us is most people overstretch themselves or want the latest thing at that very moment and end up getting into debt for it.. I know a nigerian nurse that earns only $80k a year, took a $600,000 mortgage on a 6 bedroom house and bought two flashy cars in a two year period.. Now she can barely sleep because she is working so much overtime to pay for these things and keep up the image she has portrayed.. Mind you she is single.. She makes decent money for someone thats single with no one to support but if she had cut her coat according to her size, gotten a smaller house, she'd have more disposable income.

America is very ok if you plan to cut your coat according to your size.. Lets face it, majority of this thread would relocate to the states and britain if given the chance.. In 1997, my pastor used to preach against the church members that relocated abroad saying they were abandoning their destiny.. His tune changed when he won visa lottery in 1999 and relocated his whole family..

For the most part, a lot of the amenities we take for granted in america (healthcare, steady internet, steady power, clean water, good roads, ambulances, fire service) are luxuries in nigeria and are not accessible to 90% of the population and please dont compare security in the US or britain to nigeria.. We know the reality.. Can you drive your bentley on third mainland bridge at 3am? Can you get treated at a hospital with no money and get billed later? Can you secure a 3 percent loan to finance your business with no contacts or collateral? America is one of the few places where a janitor, a security man or a trashman can successfully feed his family, own a home and raise his kids with no problems if he cuts his coat according to his size? It is also one of the places where if you dont mind getting dirty, you could still make money.. A plumber, an electrician and a trashman all make close to $100k a year.. So if school is not your thing, there are other ways to make it.

Someone said nigerians in diaspora are always posting on NL so they must be jobless. Sir, if you had steady internet and power, you would be posting frequently too grin

Obviously, i love my country, i love my motherland, there is no place like home.. There are massive opportunities if you have the right contacts, you could be stinkingly rich but there are still basic amenities that are lacking that even money cant fix.. So please lets not get carried away and start comparing nigeria to the US.. Everyones destiny doesn't have to be in their motherland, lets all do the little we can from where we are..

Someone said nigerians in diaspora are always posting on NL so they must be jobless. Sir, if you had steady internet and power, you would be posting frequently too grin

You are right,Many Nigerians simply do not have access to many social amenities...OH Gosh do they even know what they call wi-fi?Nigeria simply do not have that,Even you can't check your e mail using common wireless.You have to huzzle hard before you can own a car and thats why they think its a success for you to have a car out there,Bad road no job...Many people are not living abroad because of poverty or something but because all these advanced countries got alot to offer.

Right now i am drinking Cappuccino tea at a restaurant and using WI fi to enjoy nairaland....Its just a pity that there is no places like HOME..

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by bootlegaz: 6:48am On May 26, 2013
Godson201333:

You are right,Many Nigerians simply do not have access to many social amenities...OH Gosh do they even know what they call wi-fi?Nigeria simply do not have that,Even you can't check your e mail using common wireless.You have to huzzle hard before you can own a car and thats why they think its a success for you to have a car out there,Bad road no job...Many people are not living abroad because of poverty or something but because all these advanced countries got alot to offer.

Right now i am drinking Cappuccino tea at a restaurant and using WI fi to enjoy nairaland....Its just a pity that there is no places like HOME..
Dude I was at Shoprite last year to see what really is the buzz about that grocery outlet, I could not stop laughing when I saw people queue for Bread. grin grin
Peeps taking female dates to KFC to buy chicken feets.....LMAO

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Godson201333(m): 6:52am On May 26, 2013
bootlegaz:
Dude I was at Shoprite last year to see what really is the buzz about that grocery outlet, I could not stop laughing when I saw people queue for Bread. grin grin

Lol and I went to that same shoprite last year,Made alot of purchases,trying to pay with my card,I was told that no network that i should please bring out some cash,I was like but its a cashless economy and then she said OGA no network abi.....what a pity..

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by rozayx5(m): 6:59am On May 26, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Why cant you people understand that the Nigerians in Diaspora are doing their own part to better the country...sending some of you ingrates pocket money to take care of your selves...and this is how you repay? bunch of ingrates....

you can say that to your kinsmen, not us, last time i checked i saw people sending pocket money to people in the UK undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Originalsly: 7:14am On May 26, 2013
rozayx5:

Your not even ashamed, comparing your house with your neighbours house, Tell me Nigeria's history and Britain History, last time i checked Britain colonised African for many years, running away from your home country to pay taxes in a foreign country and dissing your home country from abroad, expecting Angel Michael to fall from heaven and turn Nigeria to Britain, am not saying we are there yet, but if project Nigeria is to work it will work with young and brave minds, it will not work through scaredy cats that ran abroad for belle affairs undecided undecided

seems you dont read much, RECOMMENDED TEXT - How Europe Under developed Africa - Author (google)
Too many of us are living in darkness because that's all we know. RECOMMENDED TEXT..How Europe Under Developed Africa by Walter Rodney. Rodney was assassinated by the State for basically opening the eyes of the masses. Every African or of African heritage should read this book then there would be no need for all this back and forth.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by malign(m): 7:19am On May 26, 2013
Imanuelle: I've been in Somalia for about 9years now, will return when electricity is stable in Nigeria.

What's electrical power in Somalia like?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by malign(m): 7:20am On May 26, 2013
bootlegaz:

Always rubs me the wrong way when people talk like this.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Skywalker5(m): 7:33am On May 26, 2013
Nigerians and how they take things personal. Someone asked a question and you all have turned in to Nigerians at home VS Nigerians in diaspora.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:03am On May 26, 2013
What I learnt from this thread so far is, Nigerians are very proud people and they brag alot. If we don't change our attitude, our beloved country is heading nowhere.

5 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Lekmosh(m): 8:04am On May 26, 2013
Life is too short to dey hala in 9ja. Make una dey enjoy una self there.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 8:17am On May 26, 2013
@Chinom

My advice to you is to stick to this topic, if you want to fight/argue about who loves Nigeria more or how great life is for Nigerians back home then head to political section.

Please don't derail this thread.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by collynzo2(m): 8:21am On May 26, 2013
The same countries where people commit suicide everyday because of depression is where these guys are try to paint as heaven to us. Some of us know better. Since they hate Nigeria so much why they should look for an American or British forum to join and stop spouting rubbish here. They can't even integrate properly where they live.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:22am On May 26, 2013
queenvic:

Awww...how nice cheesy of course loads of diaspora are BORN and lived abroad all there lives. It aint always about people LEAVING Nigeria is it.

cheesy

No its not smiley

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 8:23am On May 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're assuming you're gonna marry a Nigerian right?

Why not afam ? An Igbo man wink grin
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 8:25am On May 26, 2013
collynzo2: The same countries where people commit suicide everyday because of depression is where these guys are try to paint as heaven to us. Some of us know better. Since they hate Nigeria so much why they should look for an American or British forum to join and stop spouting rubbish here. They can't even integrate properly where they live.

collynzo2, for the last time, the topic is : How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by collynzo2(m): 8:25am On May 26, 2013
justwise: @Chinom

My advice to you is to stick to this topic, if you want to fight/argue about who loves Nigeria more or how great life is for Nigerians back home then head to political section.

Please don't derail this thread.
What exactly is your criteria for hiding posts? I can see many off topic posts still unhidden. If you can't balance it, it's better you close the thread.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 8:33am On May 26, 2013
collynzo2: What exactly is your criteria for hiding posts? I can see many off topic posts still unhidden. If you can't balance it, it's better you close the thread.

In a thread like this people are bound to go off-topic a bit without turning it into war of words, but what you and some 'true Nigerians' have being doing since yesterday is completely different, you people have turned the thread to Home Vs Abroad fight.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On May 26, 2013
adaobi123:

Why not afam ? An Igbo man wink grin
I'm just saying. You never know.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 9:00am On May 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm just saying. You never know.

Lol, okay
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by chucky234(m): 9:28am On May 26, 2013
Billyonaire: Home? People still live abroad ? No comfortable Nigerian lives abroad.
Sensible and reasonable,you are turning a new leaf.
Naija till death.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 9:32am On May 26, 2013
Been away for 23 years, no plans to return as of yet. I've got some investment ideas in the pipeline though with regards to setting up a Lagos-based Auto Centre, catering for the main German brands - Audi, BMW, Mercedes-benz, Porsche, Volkswagen and the Volkswagen subsidiaries Seat and Skoda.

So anything can happen.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Costa2000(m): 10:11am On May 26, 2013
13yrs in Europe,do visit 9ja every yr.for sure i will come back to stay in 9ja but dont know when.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 10:18am On May 26, 2013
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by deskossy(m): 10:23am On May 26, 2013
Read all d comments....saw sm sensible ones and a lot of stupid ones.bt seriously speaking if all of us run out this country na who go remain,anyway I will be travelling 2 malaysia by december,graduated last year still no job...my country is bad but we can all mk it a better place.as 4 me I will deffinitely be bk..mk I hustle small frm mallay 2 america bk 2 9ja.....proudly 9gerian
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ksolo2013: 10:58am On May 26, 2013
adaobi am igbo lol and in london holla at ur boi

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 26, 2013
k-solo2013:
adaobi am igbo lol and in london holla at ur boi

really ? grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

SUV Collides With Sports Car In Ibadan, 2 Feared Dead (Photos) / Truck On Fire At Iwo Road Ibadan (Photos) / The Most Amazing , Beautiful Places In The World – Visit Once Before You Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.