Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,559 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise (19652 Views)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise / My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 11:27am On May 26, 2013
I'm a 25 yr old medical doctor who recently concluded the compulsory one year NYSC. I am not particularly happy with medicine and I think I only became a doctor due to family/environmental pressure. I have a fairly nicely paying job so it ain't about the pay.

I'm going for a Masters in Public Health this fall in a highly reputed university and am now thinking of starting over. write the SAT, and go back for a first degree in petroleum engineering.

I want a job I'll be happy doing for the rest of my life. better late than never, I guess. what are your thoughts? thanks a mil

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 11:47am On May 26, 2013
dmalam: u r ...

that's totally unwarranted. if you av nothing to say, pls run along. I don't mind criticism but pls be mature about it. I don't think its right to hurl insults and swear words at someone who is sincerely seeking help.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Lagusta(m): 12:26pm On May 26, 2013
hmmmmm......

i'll sincerely advice u go for the MPH and venture into health insurance....

what if u do the pet enginn. and things become worse?

plss dont think about the money ooo, not all oil geeks are rich ooo, my elder bro had a neighbour once that worked in chevron, this guy is paid 750K a month, but this guy still lives from hand to mouth, after a week, money don finish, no savings, borow money to fuel his car, etc.......

there are alot of ways to have a fulfilled life as a doctor without going to the clinic or theatre..... and if its money, there are alot of opportunities meeehn, if u know your way!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 26, 2013
Lagusta: hmmmmm......

i'll sincerely advice u go for the MPH and venture into health insurance....

what if u do the pet enginn. and things become worse?

plss dont think about the money ooo, not all oil geeks are rich ooo, my elder bro had a neighbour once that worked in chevron, this guy is paid 750K a month, but this guy still lives from hand to mouth, after a week, money don finish, no savings, borow money to fuel his car, etc.......

there are alot of ways to have a fulfilled life as a doctor without going to the clinic or theatre..... and if its money, there are alot of opportunities meeehn, if u know your way!!!!!

A masters in Health Administration would prolly be more relevant in the insuramce field but nonetheless solid advice. Thx

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Lagusta(m): 4:37pm On May 26, 2013
annoymous:

A masters in Health Administration would prolly be more relevant in the insuramce field but nonetheless solid advice. Thx

Uwelcs....

I just finished medical school, and I've planned to myself that I'll never limit myself to the clinic, I have to explore more opportunities, like the masters in health administration!!!

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Yvete(f): 6:16pm On May 27, 2013
Don't start all over. Another bachelor's degree is unnecessary. With a healthcare background, the MPH or MHA will do. I can't imagine you being jobless with a medical background. GRE it is, not SAT!

4 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by pinkylips1: 7:46am On May 28, 2013
Na wa o.......this world n d people in it won't stop amazing me.....my dear,pls stay where u re n go on with ur msc.....I am too speechless to say ll I would want to say.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 10:45am On May 28, 2013
Thanks all. @yvete, I've already written the GRE and scored pretty well (1420 - With perfect Quant) and scheduled to start mph this August in a pretty decent school.
@pinkylips, I know how you feel. But trust me, there are a lot of doctors getting disaffected with medicine, though a lot fewer are opting out. I'm just scared of doing something I'm not totally cool with for the rest of my life.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by bizfirst: 3:04pm On May 28, 2013
I'll leave you with a quote by Steve Jobs that I applied when I faced a dilemma like yours. It goes:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary"

- Steve Jobs

34 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Milito: 1:03pm On May 29, 2013
My Brother I understand how you feel. A lot of people at one time or the other have been in your shoes and have come out of this kind of situation better focused and more equipped for life.

Instead of going out-rightly for another degree in Pet Engineering which will cost u a lot in respect of time, energy, finance & your emotions sef. Just try and do a MSc in a field that relates to Medicine but not to the core.

You may consider MSc. Occupational Health and Safety. After doing that coupled wt some other professional courses in Health, Safety and Environment, you may still find yourself in the Petroleum industry or any other industry/manufacturing organisation.

Going back to do another Bachelor's degree after studying medicine for so many years is going to stress u out especially if u are in Nigeria. I pray it should not go and break u sef sad . Doing it abroad may be less stressful.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 05, 2013
TRY PHYSICAL THERAPHY OR SPORTS MEDICINE. LESS MESSY AND NOT TOO FAR OFF FROM WHERE YOU ARE

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Josh316(m): 3:07pm On Jun 05, 2013
annoymous: I'm a 25 yr old medical doctor who recently concluded the compulsory one year NYSC. I am not particularly happy with medicine and I think I only became a doctor due to family/environmental pressure. I have a fairly nicely paying job so it ain't about the pay.

I'm going for a Masters in Public Health this fall in a highly reputed university and am now thinking of starting over. write the SAT, and go back for a first degree in petroleum engineering.

I want a job I'll be happy doing for the rest of my life. better late than never, I guess. what are your thoughts? thanks a mil

From me, I'd say, go for your MPH, and you can leave core hospital work to pure public health work, with either NACA, FHI, Or any NGO dealing with public health (AIDS, TB, Malaria etc). That's what I did

Trust me, it will be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr better than starting afresh.

DON'T LOSE HOPE LAD!!!!
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tunesoft(m): 3:09pm On Jun 05, 2013
Please leave if u have a passion for wat u going for. To me, u still young...so u won't spend the rest of ur life regretting not opting out.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by supaeagles(m): 3:09pm On Jun 05, 2013
Always do the job that you are happy doing (when possible, not many have that opportunity though). If you are no longer motivated to practice medicine then make the switch to petroleum engineering. A few more years of studying is nothing in comparison to a life time of working in a field you are not passionate about.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Opey4luv(m): 3:10pm On Jun 05, 2013
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by kokoye(m): 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2013
Simple.

You have made your family happy...and you have proven you can face any challenge...to be a medical doctor no be beans

Now..do what makes YOU happy.

I aint mad at that.

Good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by AbuMikey(m): 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2013
I would advice you leave Medicine....cos its better You live ur life as a happy man being a petroleum engineer than to live a life of regrets being a medical doctor!!!!!
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by kokoye(m): 3:12pm On Jun 05, 2013
Simple.

You have made your family happy...and you have proven you can face any challenge...to be a medical doctor no be beans

Now..do what makes YOU happy. Dont live your life to make other people happy...thier opinions or wants will keep changing anyway.

I aint mad at that.

Good luck bro.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Inoknowbook: 3:12pm On Jun 05, 2013
annoymous: I'm a 25 yr old medical doctor who recently concluded the compulsory one year NYSC. I am not particularly happy with medicine and I think I only became a doctor due to family/environmental pressure. I have a fairly nicely paying job so it ain't about the pay.

When will stop schooling? It is now time for you to go make the money. If you no longer like being a doctor, go into entrepreneurship. People waste a lot of time in school these days, and by the time the realized it, time has gone by. Life is too short to be wasted on an unending academic pursuit. Mind you, I'm not saying that education is not good, it is very good and important. You have done your bit already by educating yourself, now go make the money.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Petbuk123(m): 3:13pm On Jun 05, 2013
Its right 2 dcide and do wat makes u happy,if u think u can do it,my brother u can do it well,doing somethng u av pleasure in,gives u more pressure to do better and doin thngs dt presures u gvs u plesure 2 relax since u didnt enjoy doing it,i wl advic,u cn b a doc and stil pursuing d pet engr,it dpends on ur dterminatn,gud luck on ur journey of dcissns

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Lugano(m): 3:14pm On Jun 05, 2013
Why not take a post Grad MBA in Oil and Gas , it will save you some years , I once worked with an English Doctor on a Project in one of the top Banks , this guy was an Oxford produc, but got tried of working as a senior Consultant in an Hopsital and he changed to Information Technology as a Programme Manager .

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by eahk(m): 3:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
Milito: My Brother I understand how you feel. A lot of people at one time or the other have been in your shoes and have come out of this kind of situation better focused and more equipped for life.

Instead of going out-rightly for another degree in Pet Engineering which will cost u a lot in respect of time, energy, finance & your emotions sef. Just try and do a MSc in a field that relates to Medicine but not to the core.

You may consider MSc. Occupational Health and Safety. After doing that coupled wt some other professional courses in Health, Safety and Environment, you may still find yourself in the Petroleum industry or any other industry/manufacturing organisation.

Going back to do another Bachelor's degree after studying medicine for so many years is going to stress u out especially if u are in Nigeria. I pray it should not go and break u sef sad . Doing it abroad may be less stressful.

1000000 likes for you..that's exactly what I did and God has been faithful..he doesn't need to go the whole haul.
All he needs is an MSc in Occupational healh/occupational medicine/Health Safety and Enviroment & come out with good grades and keep your eyes on your targets its gonna help you know where you'd concentrate as you go thru your postgraduate and by God's grace you'd get to your target.
But be ready to start small..and before you know it you'd get there. And I'm sure your passion will drive you to succeed.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by imsuboi(m): 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
Dude, after suffering for 6years? Writing MBBS' exams? You've become a doctor and you wnt to quit?

I think you need to visit Yaba Left(Lagos) or Rumigbo (PH).

[My opinion though]

2 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by ACM10: 3:19pm On Jun 05, 2013
Bros follow your heart desire. Medicine is a thankless job and is not worth it. Please quit immediately, you got nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by dridowu: 3:20pm On Jun 05, 2013
MPH is good bro........................WHO await u
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tpia5: 3:21pm On Jun 05, 2013
@ topic

no biggie if you dont have a passion for it. Just do whatever you want to do, you're still young.

some people do quit medicine, nothing new there.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tpia5: 3:22pm On Jun 05, 2013
a neighbour once that worked in chevron, this guy is paid 750K a month, but this guy still lives from hand to mouth, after a week, money don finish, no savings, borow money to fuel his car, etc

just curious- what's he spending his money on?

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by jedisco(m): 3:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
Do what makes you fulfilled
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
These are my thoughts:

My question is why go for an MPH when you know you want to do engineering? Who is paying for your MPH is it still your parents forcing you? Who will pay for your engineering degree in the US Is it still your parents?

The truth is...Your parents will definitely not support you financially in pursuing an Engineering degree? (I know I am not your parents so I can't be absolutely sure) However, no parent will make all that investment only to wait again for another 4 years paying tuition of over $30,000 per year for four years! Since you have made the mistake of not droping out of medical school or deliberately failing to drop out. Public Health gives you the non-clinical option...as you can choose to work in population health.

The truth is starting pet engineering say at 26 or 27 makes you old. I have a lot of friends here doing their PhDs in these fields at 26, 27 years....Your brain won't be as sharp as the 18 and 19 year olds taking it as majors.

YOu have to think really carefully! If clinical medicine is what you really dislike...I would advice you look for opportunities in public health. There are so many opportunities there especially as an MD with clinical skills already. In summary I know it is good to follow your passion...but think through and know if it is worth it...cos really if it was really your passion...you would have dropped out of medical school...your parents won't live your life...you will live it...on the other hand you may regret living from hand to mouth, being the oldest in the class etc when you know you would have been heading an oranization in the years you're in pet eng.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Also Do (photos) / Meet Olayemi Samson, Nigerian Enterpreneur Making Fashion Out Of Trash / "Smile Or Be Suspended": Phillipine Mayor Tells Government Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.