Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,183 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge (15348 Views)

The Toll Booths At The New Ikoyi Link Bridge.pics / Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS / Lekki - Ikoyi Link Bridge Construction Update - July 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 28, 2013
Concessionaire plans N100 to N400 toll rates, bans commercial vehicles

PROPOSAL by the Lagos State government to charge toll rates ranging from N100 to N400 on the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge was Tuesday faulted by lawmakers in the state.

Except for their Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, about 20 lawmakers present at the plenary, raised questions on why the state government should concession and collect tolling on a bridge built with taxpayers’ money and fully paid by the government.

Besides, the lawmakers expressed dissatisfaction on why the state government chooses to present a voluminous document on terms and conditions of concession agreement and tolling to the lawmakers for approval, some days before the commissioning of the infrastructure in question. The bridge will be officially commissioned Wednesday.

In a letter read on the floor of the Assembly on Monday, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Ade Ipaye had on behalf of the state government written a letter, seeking the “Ratification of the electronic tolling system operation, maintenance, concession terms and conditions for the Lekki-Ikoyi toll bridge.”

The letter also sought the approval of the lawmakers on initial maximum tolls set out in the agreement. The toll rates are N250 for saloon cars; N300 for mini vans, Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) and light pick-up trucks; N400 for non-commercial buses with a maximum sitting capacity of 26 persons; N100 for motorcycles with 200 engine capacity and above.

Presenting the proposal as a motion Tuesday, Majority Leader, Dr Ajibayo Adeyeye noted that the bridge was built by the state government and has been concessioned to Lagos Tolling Company, working with two technical partners.

By the agreement, 73 per cent of revenue generated goes to the state government, while 27 per cent goes to the tolling company. Also, 80 per cent of all incidental activities like adverts go to the state government, while 20 per cent goes to the operating company. The concession agreement is for 10 years, and has five years renewable period.

Speaking on the motion, member of the House, Saka Fafunmi noted that construction of the bridge was a laudable initiative, but “must we always pay toll on every projects made by government?”

“On this one-kilometre bridge, I’m not convinced at all, after all, we did not borrow money to have this done,” he said.

Apparently in agreement with Fafunmi, Deputy Speaker of the House, Taiwo Kolawole noted that the request of the government, as claimed in the proposal, was not in line with the 2011 Public-Private Partnership law.

He said: “As far I’m concerned, this has nothing to do with PPP law. This is not about provision of infrastructure because the bridge has already been constructed using the taxpayer’s money. So, why should we still toll a road that we have built with our money?

Rotimi Olowo, representing Shomolu I Constituency suggested that the House should invite the Special Adviser on PPP and Commissioner for Works to explain details of the concessioning, coupled with prohibition of some vehicles from plying the bridge.

Prohibited from the route are commercial motorcycles popularly known as okada, tricycles, commercial vehicles including Danfo and high capacity buses, heavy-duty trucks, articulated trucks and lorries, among others.

Reacting to dissatisfactions raised by members, Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji said the House should be blamed for not raising these concerns earlier, when the state government was proposing the construction of the bridge.

The lawmakers would not accept the blame, because, according to them, the government did not avail them the opportunity to ratify details of the project.

The House, however, adjourned till Thursday, where they hope to take a stand on concessioning agreement and tolling.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122997:lagos-lawmakers-fault-tolling-of-lekki-ikoyi-link-bridge-as-bridge-opens-wednesday&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by malc619(m): 8:27pm On May 28, 2013
The Beauty of Democracy.....

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by ekoilee: 8:47pm On May 28, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^ You ain't lying.

Eko o no baje o.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 8:49pm On May 28, 2013
Valid questions from the house of assembly just hope they won't be shot down

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by ekoilee: 9:02pm On May 28, 2013
who is shutting who down and is it even possible? This is the legislature checking the executive via constitutional duties and balance of power.

At the end of the day, they'll get together, reason and do what's best for the state and they always do. This is the most stable and productive 3 tiers of government in Nigeria... ..

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 28, 2013
It's good that the Lagos State House of Assembly is alive to its responsibility as a check on the executive. I wish most other state Houses of Assembly can do more of that; instead of being mere rubber-stamps of the governors.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by kelvincoll(m): 9:52pm On May 28, 2013
Reacting to dissatisfactions raised by members, Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji said the House should be blamed for not raising these concerns earlier, when the state government was proposing the construction of the bridge.

The lawmakers would not accept the blame, because, according to them, the government did not avail them the opportunity to ratify details of the project. shocked shocked shocked

The House, however, adjourned till Thursday, where they hope to take a stand on concessioning agreement and tolling.

Are you thinking what im thinking? ......Lips sealed for now lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by timecop28: 10:20pm On May 28, 2013
500 NAIRA!!! Too much if you ask me. However, In a country where the Federal Government has refused to be responsible to its citizens, Props should be given to the Lagos state Goventment for executing daring projects such as this..,not just awarding contracts to fake construction firms like the FG.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by BigPhil(m): 10:21pm On May 28, 2013
Who is fooling who.cheesy.
Can't wait till Thursday,to see how this script pans out.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by stonemind(f): 10:24pm On May 28, 2013
and whats my business??
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by bongila(f): 10:24pm On May 28, 2013
Thumbs up to the lawmakers! I hope they'll not allow anybody ride roughshod over them at the long run.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by kiyosaki1(m): 10:28pm On May 28, 2013
BigPhil: Who is fooling who.cheesy.
my taught

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Boss13: 10:29pm On May 28, 2013
Where is Eko Atlantic?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by maxxx(m): 10:30pm On May 28, 2013
im waiting to see how the so called house of assembly(excluding the speaker oh!)will succeed in stopping the tolling.the few ones making noise are not just satisfied with the sharing arrangement....no be today.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by lekanwj(m): 10:31pm On May 28, 2013
The government is hoping to recoup back its investment. I don't see the lawmakers winning cos the area in question is a highbrow area. Resident of the area can foot the bill abeg.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 28, 2013
Boss13: Where is Eko Atlantic?

It's adjacent to Victoria Island. cheesy
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 28, 2013
lekanwj: The government is hoping to recoup back its investment. I don't see the lawmakers winning cos the area in question is a highbrow area. Resident of the area can foot the bill abeg.

But it won't be only the rich that will ply the bridge. Others from the mainland eg Okota, Orile, Ikotun may also need to use the bridge undecided

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by LarryTay: 10:40pm On May 28, 2013
Is it now that they are alive to responsibilities? Now that the issue affects linkage of Ikoyi to Lekki!! So they were snoring when Admirailty Toll Plaza started collecting fees on Ajah/Lekki Axis. I am sure they will swallow Valium 10 by the time their godfathers decide to start collecting money at Conservation Toll Plaza! Selfish leaders with selfish interest. Day of judge must surely come.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by TippyTop(m): 10:42pm On May 28, 2013
Nothing will come off this one, I think Baba Tinubu owns the tolling company or he has other vested interest in the tolling company.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by jaybee(f): 10:45pm On May 28, 2013
BigPhil: Who is fooling who.cheesy.

good thinking.

your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by tomakint: 10:48pm On May 28, 2013
From the look of things the lawmakers are only playing to the gallery because the tolling will eventually be done! Where were they when the State Government was busy building the illegal toll gates at the Lekki-Ajah expressway perhaps they were 'sleeping' undecided I trust Tinubu on this one, he will definitely have his way!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by ballabriggs: 10:48pm On May 28, 2013
These people living around that area have a lot of money such that they can afford lavish parties. You ask, what percentage of their annual income do they pay in taxes? A very low percentage!

If the government deems it right to collect more of their income via tolling on those roads then I will not begrudge the government. You need finance for development and developing a strategy for raising finance is part of governance. Strategy includes focusing on where the money is and in this case the money is in the hands of the residents of those areas. Go for it, that is vision and strategy.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by spacebus: 10:52pm On May 28, 2013
Lagos is no more a govt.,its a business venture.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by phranseeqz(m): 11:00pm On May 28, 2013
This is all bluff (initial gragra). Has anyone enquired about who owns the tolling company? I'd prefer to jxt chillax and watch out for the outcome on Friday.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 28, 2013
Lagos State government and its governor are the most elitist in Nigerian history. Everything they do is done with the super rich "Island" people in mind. From useless hotel projects to toll inner-city roads and bridges.

Unfortunately, if the so-called House of Assembly is purportedly "faulting" the tolling of this bridge, then it is only because the insatiable THIEF that prides himself as the Emperor of Bourdillon isn't happy with the figures/percentage of revenues allocated to him from tbe toll. In other words, the House of Assembly's stance is NOT public-spirited - neither is it motivated by the interests of common Lagosians.

The daft ACN slaves here - especially the robotic Eko whatever fools, would try their poor best to argue otherwise. But no sensible free-born would bother to argue with single-minded slaves on any matter at all

15 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 28, 2013
I'm half impressed the lawmakers can see through the charade....however i won't get carried away hoping they will remain resolute and stay the course.

As i always say, one of the cardinal duties of government is to appropriate tax revenue towards the provision of infrastructure. And anyone who celebrates this as a major agreement, the likes of which we have never seen on these shores, is technically "brain-dead". Schmoozers and ACN bootlickers including trigger-happy, zombie-style Nairaland mods, take note!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 11:11pm On May 28, 2013
ballabriggs: These people living around that area have a lot of money such that they can afford lavish parties. You ask, what percentage of their annual income do they pay in taxes? A very low percentage!

If the government deems it right to collect more of their income via tolling on those roads then I will not begrudge the government. You need finance for development and developing a strategy for raising finance is part of governance. Strategy includes focusing on where the money is and in this case the money is in the hands of the residents of those areas. Go for it, that is vision and strategy.

Very well said. And apart from that, maintenance is very important and that money got to come from somewhere or we sit and complain about the bridge falling apart years from now because of bad maintenance culture.

I actually see the house going along with the administration...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by talktimi(m): 11:13pm On May 28, 2013
[quote author=eko ilee]who is shutting who down and is it even possible? This is the legislature checking the executive via constitutional duties and balance of power.

At the end of the day, they'll get together, reason and do what's best for the state and they always do. This is the most stable and productive 3 tiers of government in Nigeria... ..
[/quotei wrote shot down and not shut down, there's a major difference in the context I meant which is covered by the second paragraph of your response.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 11:15pm On May 28, 2013
pro01: Lagos State government and its governor are the most elitist in Nigerian history. Everything they do is done with the super rich "Island" people in mind. From useless hotel projects to toll inner-city roads and bridges.

Unfortunately for you and your endless ignorant rants, nearly all state projects are on the mainland.

Name any other state financed project going on in either LEKKI or VI.

Don't even bother answering cos either you come up short or run away...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge by EkoIle1: 11:17pm On May 28, 2013
talktimi: ...

Shot or shut, it makes no difference and I stand by what I said...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Don't Vote For APC, Atiku Tells North East Citizens / Ooni Decries Poor State Of Ife Roads / Insecurity: Bandits Have Turned North To Killing Field - Sultan Of Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.