Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) (33708 Views)

How The Crash That Killed James Ocholi And Family Was Just A Big Mess / The Christmas Tree That Cost Imo State Govt N600M / A Police Station In Benue State (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by ezzye: 12:23am On May 30, 2013
Amadioha123: It's unfortunate that this tree killed abt 31 persons and injured abt 16 others. IMO state is filled with so much trees and bushes even around people's homes. Lets learn from this and cut down those forest near us today.

hellooo u mean deforestation? what has happened to protecting the ozone layer?

1 Like

Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Okijajuju: 12:26am On May 30, 2013
The gods are not happy... angry

1 Like

Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:33am On May 30, 2013
^I told them they shoulve done a sacrifice. one chicken was enough. what foolish people. angry
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Revolva(m): 1:06am On May 30, 2013
Omo.see the big red mud swimming pool in front of the tree...haha many ppple go on jabo inside the pool from okada oo..lol
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by pauladonis(m): 5:24am On May 30, 2013
Amadioha123: It's unfortunate that this tree killed abt 31 persons and injured abt 16 others. IMO state is filled with so much trees and bushes even around people's homes. Lets learn from this and cut down those forest near us today.
mųmų, į męāŋ, çāpįţāl odę. y ų ŋo çųţ āll d ţŗęęş įŋ āƒŗįçā. mţçђęęęw.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Uceegal: 6:21am On May 30, 2013
Pstsmith: Meaning
Hw this thing take make front page? Sha mods go public holiday.
U asked because u runinformed abt wat happened in Imo State some 2wks ago.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Two4Two(m): 7:46am On May 30, 2013
Sorry guys i dont seem to understand what is going on here may be some people can educate me more. Does it mean that the tree just got itself uprooted like a flash and killed such a number of people without them knowing that a tree is falling. I have seen many giant trees fall especially the Iroko tree. When they fall because of their size it is usually gradual especially if it falling from its roots. May be this case is more of a supernatural phenomenon.
Contributions please.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by fpeter(f): 8:49am On May 30, 2013
Lordjunta: Uko, as fondly called was a tree located at Umudagu Mbieri in Mbaitolu LG of Imo state. Due to the shade the tree provided,an evening market was established called Ukwu Uko market. Nobody knew what the Uko tree was 'nursing' when the market became expanded and recognised as one-stop market one could buy fresh vegitables and foodstuffs. I used to go there to buy things when i was an undergraduate of Imo state University living at Sarah Hostel.'Because i'm involved' (in the words of Dim Odemegwu Ojukwu) i had a first hand feel of what the tree and the market look ed like,i write authoritatively that the tree was hail and hearty,with fresh leaves on it as seen in the picture. This is why people tend to wonder over the sudden collapse of Uko tree and even during the evening market when the market was filled wit buyers and sellers. So many were sent to their untimely graves including a pregnant woman by this tree. It was horrifying.

I hail o, fellow IMO STAR..
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by fpeter(f): 8:51am On May 30, 2013
Rap maestro: Na lie jorh.. This pics was taken at the back of my house.. Durosoke... 1ST TO COMET.. Not comment o

Blame it on your slow internet grin
others made it b4 you!
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by texaco1: 11:01am On May 30, 2013
Cheerup4dan: RIP 2 d death
yeeeee Gbagun
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by texaco1: 11:07am On May 30, 2013
Okija juju: The gods are not happy... angry
the gods are not to blame
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Lordjunta(m): 6:34pm On May 30, 2013
If Afforestration means leaving this kind of spirit infected tree named UKO where people are living,then the whole world should be Deforested.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Lordjunta(m): 6:35pm On May 30, 2013
If Afforestration means leaving this kind of spirit infected tree named UKO where people are living,then the whole world should be Deforested.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:37pm On May 30, 2013
Lordjunta: If Afforestration means leaving this kind of spirit infected tree named UKO where people are living,then the whole world should be Deforested.

THe spirit reacted because the fools did not satisfy it by erforming rituals and sacrifice.

btw your comment is so horribly s.tupid. if we destroy all trees (and all trees have spiritual force. its just very strong in some), then we will become extinct.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Lordjunta(m): 10:08pm On May 30, 2013
So u have nt heard dt in d face of two evils,u need to pick d less evil. Deforestration is bad bt not compared to having evil tree all around ppl's homes.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 10:16pm On May 30, 2013
konn: the spirits dwelling in this tree are thirsty for blood. so sad 4 d victims

The tree was old,probably over a thousand years,unkept and two weak to hang on.

The tree died.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 10:28pm On May 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
THis is the wrath of the forest spirits for abandoning the religion of the land. THey should have performed sacrifce to that tree.

Do you actually believe that?I understand the village square point of view,where communities gather under big trees like that to acknowledge and celebrate the ancestor,the living dead.But that is just all about it.Communal gathering in a serene and revered environment.

The sacrifice to the ancestors should be in the form maintenance of the tree,the square,maintenance order and unity in the community.Continuation.

There is no mystery to traditions.It is all about the people,HOW they way they live,what they believe,how they survive and pass on.Traditions are the makings of living people in reminisce with the past.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by texaco1: 10:32pm On May 30, 2013
redsun:

Do you actually believe that?I understand the village square point of view,where communities gather under big trees like that to acknowledge and celebrate the ancestor,the living dead.But that is just all about it.Communal gathering in a serene and revered environment.

The sacrifice to the ancestors should be in the form maintenance of the tree,the square,maintenance order and unity in the community.Continuation.

There is no mystery to traditions.It is all about the people,HOW they way they live,what they believe,how they survive and pass on.Traditions are the makings of living people in reminisce with the past.

you just roped urself into a long long arguement,
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 10:49pm On May 30, 2013
texaco1:

you just roped urself into a long long arguement,

That guy didn't impress me much with his child abuse fantasy.I respect his beliefs so much as an african traditionalist like me,but he seem a little over board sometimes like a christian or muslem fanatic.

African religion neither fuss nor fight.It falls in to place as a way of life for normal africans.It is the continued presence and influence of dead among the living,even when they are physically gone.The dead are seen to be in higher realms where the gods dwells,interceding,interloping and protecting their living loved ones.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:14pm On May 30, 2013
redsun:

apart from all you mentioned, for a sacrifice to be legit, it involves the giving away of something valuable. animal sacrifices involve the sacrifice of a soul/release of its spirit. so its powerful and done all over the world over the ages. but it can also be in the form of ritual offerings without blood sacrifice. it depends. undecided
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:16pm On May 30, 2013
redsun:

That guy didn't impress me much with his child abuse fantasy.

ah dont do that mistake. dont mix moral affairs with religion. its a dangerous combination. we will end up having Pagan shariaá then.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

apart from all you mentioned, for a sacrifice to be legit, it involves the giving away of something valuable. animal sacrifices involve the sacrifice of a soul/release of its spirit. so its powerful and done all over the world over the ages. but it can also be in the form of ritual offerings without blood sacrifice. it depends. undecided
If you continue this way you are going now you will remain primitive for a life time.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:23pm On May 30, 2013
all4naija: If you continue this way you are going now you will remain primitive for a life time.

no i wont. im much more educated than you are.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 11:38pm On May 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Of course sacrifice(celebration)is about killing,spilling a bit of the blood,cooking,eating animals and foods.Topped up with palm wine,scnapps and drum beats in recognition of the living dead.

The ones that never dies.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by ba7man(m): 11:41pm On May 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I suspect you know more about this situation than you're revealing.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:42pm On May 30, 2013
redsun:

Of course sacrifice(celebration)is about killing,spilling a bit of the blood,cooking,eating animals and foods.Topped up with palm wine,scnapps and drum beats in recognition of the living dead.

The ones that never dies.

yeahh something like that. for the celebration, we use beer in our village.

check this one out from Togo:

https://www.nairaland.com/1126007/pictures-vodun-religon-benin-togo
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 30, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

But,you reason like a primitive person! No amount of education will save you in this case. That just made your situation worse!
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:51pm On May 30, 2013
all4naija: But,you reason like a primitive person! No amount of education will save you in this case. That just made your situation worse!

you are like a mosquito that keeps buzzing near my ear. now buzz off!
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 11:55pm On May 30, 2013
Short of words.I wish we can just be a little more innovative about this things and try to control it along side our mental and physical developments.

I believe so much in it,but i also believe that have alot to give as present africans to move it on and take it to the nest level.There are things we can do away with,things we can adopt and things we can mend to adapt it into the 21st century world.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01am On May 31, 2013
redsun: Short of words.I wish we can just be a little more innovative about this things and try to control it along side our mental and physical developments.

I believe so much in it,but i also believe that have alot to give as present africans to move it on and take it to the nest level.There are things we can do away with,things we can adopt and things we can mend to adapt it into the 21st century world.

the thing is that to do so artificially would cause great wrongs. Pagan religions develop by themselves gradually if given the time and support along with material growth (civilization/development/modernization).

why else do you think Pagan religions like Ifa Orisha, Hinduism, Greek Religion, Egyptian religion ,etc., developed more than their neighbours. thats how it is.

we should start with by promoting them first.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by redsun(m): 12:09am On May 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

the thing is that to do so artificially would cause great wrongs. Pagan religions develop by themselves gradually if given the time and support along with material growth (civilization/development/modernization).

why else do you think Pagan religions like Ifa Orisha, Hinduism, Greek Religion, Egyptian religion ,etc., developed more than their neighbours. thats how it is.

we should start with by promoting them first.

Apart from believing,people should be encouraged more to believe in the work of their hands along side their beliefs.To see themselves as the architects of their faith,redefining it,recreating it and synthesizing it while the core thing,the bond with the land remains.
Re: The Tree That Killed People In Imo State (picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:10am On May 31, 2013
redsun:

Apart from believing,people should be encouraged more to believe in the work of their hands along side their beliefs.To see themselves as the architects of their faith,redefining it,recreating it and synthesizing it while the core thing,the bond with the land remains.

yeah I get wat your driving at. True.

The Gods only help those who help themselves. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Remembers Yar'adua 10 Years After. Says He Was 'Selfless' & 'Modest' / Herdsmen: Army Tackles TY Danjuma, Warns Nigerians To Be Law Abiding / Osinbajo Visits Pa Olajide Olabode, Former Awolowo Driver (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.