Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

What Drives Someone To Suicide? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Drives Someone To Suicide? (5892 Views)

32-yr-old Man Commits Suicide Over Wife’s Infidelity In Bayelsa / Nigerian Military Kills 2 Suicide Bombers In Borno / What Drives Someone To Commit Suicide. (2) (3) (4)

What Drives Someone To Suicide? by beyunce(f): 9:42am On May 17, 2006
according to a professor, suicide is never a rational decision: it isn't about wanting to die, but about needing to stop extreme feelings of despair, hopelessness and pain. Suicidal behaviour, he says, is highly complex and can be categorized in various ways:

1. ATTEMPTED SUICIDE is where a person really intends to die, but fails in their attempt to do so.

2. PARA-SUICIDE is where someone isn't truly intent on killing him-or herself, but urgently needs to cry for help. in these cases, an attempted suicide is a means of attracting attention.

3. SUICIDE PACTS are where two or more people decide to end their lives together, for various reasons.

4. TERRORISM SUICIDE is where people willingly submit to death in order to carry out a political or religious action. e.g the september 11 atrocities in the US

5. PRESCRIBED SUICIDE is where people are expected take their own lives as a punishment for some social transgressions.

6. EXTENDED SUICIDE has become a disturbingly frequent phenomenon in South Africa. this is where someone kills his or her family members and den commits suicide.

7. SUB-INTENTION SUICIDE is when someone leads a high risk lifestyle which can lead to death, such as having promiscuous, unprotected sex, taking drugs or driving recklessly.

8. SUICIDAL IDEATION is wen some one as compulsive thoughts about ending their life.

So nairalanders tell us which have u guys experienced.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by edatika(m): 1:45pm On May 23, 2006
suicide
never tot of it
but a lot of people do kill themselves
, frustration

i watched the raped females in congo on CNN
u can imagine
suicide might be understandable sometimes,
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:46pm On May 23, 2006
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? - U'll know when U get there
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Debsolat(f): 9:13am On May 12, 2008
I haven't experienced any of it but I'm a mental health nurse and i can tell you that quite a number of my patients have attempted suicide and succeeded and some have not.

Some of your definitions are wrong.

Para-suicide is not a means of crying for attention.  It could be self-harming and these are the following resons for para-suicide: coping or self-management strategy intended to relieve negative emotions such as anger, anxiety, frustration, or guilt.  It is associated with depression, low self-esteem and sexual abuse (Hawton & Fagg, 1992).    It is caused by the following: • Unstable homes (Kerfoot et al., 1996)
• Child Abuse
• The Media (Hawton & Williams, 2001)
• Associated psychiatric disorder (Houston et al., 2001)
• Cognitive factors, for example, bleakness, impaired problem-solving aptitudes, or coping mechanisms or an attributional style, in which negative events are considered to be one’s own fault (Kerfoot et al., 1996)

It is most common among british teenagers
It is very funny that i'm doing this for my dissertation.  Hope this clarifies the topic
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by royalicon(m): 9:49am On May 12, 2008
BEST answer can be gotten from someone who has attempted suicide -what drive him/her to that point.

Personally, I have not think of it and will never. But instead of thinking Suicide by any reasonable being, GOD CARES and he can lift off any burden,

Confide in GOD rather than killing yourself.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Jaytee67(m): 11:24am On May 12, 2008
From my own point of view, people commit suicide because of lack of knowledge of God's ability to solve all kinds of problems.
I have never consciously attemted any form of suicide and I will not commit any by God's grace. What I have done that is near to it is over-speeding while I was still younger. For now, I will not go beyond 100km/hr or at most 110km/hr even while travelling long distances.
Life is sweet, though heaven is sweeter but I will not go there untimely!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dee02(m): 1:09pm On May 12, 2008
Na person wey chop belle-full dey commit suicide!

Also, if play-play too much, person fit commit sucide as a result!!

MENTALLY DERANGED PEOPLE CANT CREATE A LIFE BUT THEY CAN TAKE IT!!!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by denony(m): 2:40pm On May 12, 2008
Suicide?

anybody at home?

(took off) run! run!! run!!! lipsrsealed
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by amaikama(m): 3:55pm On May 12, 2008
Sorry can't comment on this lipsrsealed cause it has never been in my family or from the generation where i come from. Sorry!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 12, 2008
Edited.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by jaywee(m): 1:07am On May 13, 2008
One of the greatest gifts we have as humans is the gift of free will, and how often we misuse it. If there is a will, there's a way. Suicide is an option only if u loose ur will to live. Life is a blessing, and we should consider it so.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 3:37am On May 13, 2008
I do not believe speaking of this or any other subject is to be considered morbid. Suicides happen on a daily basis. Some of us know of someone who has committed suicide and so I believe it is best to talk about these things so we can, if possible, help save a life or two by at least being able to identify signs and putting ourselves in situations where those who are silently crying for help can maybe consider seeking help from someone at sometime.

I am not sure of all cases but I believe a deep rooted feeling of uselessness; feeling that one does not have a part to play, be it significant or meaningful, in the plan called life. Hopelessness definitely is common. A feeling that no matter what path one takes, it leads to the same miserable outcome and hence there is no need to keep trying when one is already convinced , it is all for nothing.

Many, even in developing countries that claim to harbour the happiest people on the planet commit suicide, because most of what we claim and cling to, we understand are superficial and materials that can not seem to satisfy the deep needs we have as humans. Need to belong, to be loved, to be respected, to be seen as not just another oxygen-sucking lifeform etc.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Abagana83: 4:27am On May 13, 2008
Things like rape.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by davidif: 6:22am On May 13, 2008
Living in Yanki and the western world can drive someone to suicide because there society is too isolated and individualistic. There is no camaraderie, spontaniety, or robustness like what Naija has, everything is just dour, monotonous, dull and bland.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Spermdrops(m): 7:39am On May 13, 2008
Abagana83:

Things like rape.

I definitely agree. Otherwise, nothing in this world would make me want to take my own life.

Life is just too sweet right now. Always been sweet too. Until the good lord says so.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by osat02: 8:23am On May 13, 2008
the opposite of what makes one to live wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by adechuks(m): 10:33am On May 13, 2008
What drives someone to suicide?

Honestly it's questions like this. wink wink wink
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by origina9ja(f): 12:33pm On May 13, 2008
@saintvalx

Isn't this kind of morbid?

people way no understand dis question will take it for joke
this iz kno joke
it is as serious as wateva u could think off
people die everyday for some random reason
this is an oppotunity to learn and understand
why some people think of committing sucide
anywayz i dont really know why
but according to some answer giving
"rape" seems to be 1 of the reasons
i hope to see more answer because rape is just not go to decide whether you worth living
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by tulk2mi: 3:36pm On May 13, 2008
suicide in naija is rare compared 2 western countries part of d reason is cos we r faced with challenges evry day of our life 2 keep us 2 busy 2 even contemplate suicide. 4 eg. u start 4rm primary skool wen u think u r thro with dat, u hv 2 go 2 d secondary skool wen u think u r thro with dat university comes kulling wen u r finally thro with dat u enter d labour market and so on couplewith d economic situation u r always thinking of ways 2 survive even as bad as things r here my bros & sis life 2 sweet to troway like dat But in western countries there economic situation is beta and life is not so much as a struggle like we do here. they have almost everthing at their disposal after sometime they run out of option and ask themselves what am i living 4? u know what comes next.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On May 13, 2008
tulk2mi:

[b] suicide in naija is rare compared 2 western countries [/b]part of d reason is because we r faced with challenges evry day of our life 2 keep us 2 busy 2 even contemplate suicide. 4 eg. u start from primary school when u think you're thro with that, u hv 2 go to the secondary school when u think you're thro with that university comes kulling when you're finally thro with that u enter d labour market and so on couplewith d economic situation you're always thinking of ways 2 survive even as bad as things r here my bros & sis life 2 sweet to troway like that But in western countries there economic situation is beta and life is not so much as a struggle like we do here. they have almost everthing at their disposal after sometime they run out of option and ask themselves what am i living 4? u know what comes next.

The highlighted statement above is not based on fact but simply your perception and so we should not be deceived as to confuse the two. Suicides are not necessarily rare in Nigeria, let alone Africa. In a continent where such is still considered taboo and disgraceful, majority of these cases go unreported and uninvestigated and so we should not think Africans actually rarely think of such, let alone committing such. Just as we know many many are raped on a daily basis but not many are reported or known of for us to put together numbers to help us better deal with the problems as even bring the perpetrators to book.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by oge4real(f): 4:16pm On May 13, 2008
Suicide? Jump and Pass!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by tupix(m): 4:49pm On May 13, 2008
SUB-INTENTION SUICIDE!!!!

SUB-INTENTION SUICIDE is when someone leads a high risk lifestyle which can lead to death, such as having promiscuous, unprotected sex, taking drugs or driving recklessly.

@poster
Your thread is very informative and educative, I never knew that reckless driving is associated to SUICIDE. I love race so much and I am a kind of staunt driver and rider, as from now on I will change from that so far doing so is not fetching me money.

Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Ameena(f): 5:04pm On May 13, 2008
[color=#990000][/color] [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][i][color=#990000]Men, thank God we don't rily experience such tings in this part of our world.
But i rily wonder wat cud push a person to go that far  cos once there's life, there's hope so one shud always kip the faith cool
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Emad(f): 5:21pm On May 13, 2008
@ topic

the loss of hope
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 13, 2008
@ poster: I was thinking educated Yorubas do not have this spoken and written 'h' problem-8. SUICIDAL IDEATION is when some one as compulsive thoughts about ending their life.

Away from that. If anyone wants to commit suicide, he should just leave us with suicide notes, that way we know what happened and how to stop the would-bes. When life is too boring and frustrating, one will just need to put oneself out of misery. Think about it. If you don't have an exit route in your troubles, create one and avoid killing yourself.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by gbolio4(m): 7:05pm On May 13, 2008
know 1 very good suicide driver:

extreme hopelessness,
there could be more , extreme pain, extreme heartbreak, extreme brainal mestascillolosis sad
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by omoteebabe(f): 8:12pm On May 13, 2008
ave tried to commit sucide once
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 13, 2008
depression i guess embarassed sad sad

very sad
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:34pm On May 14, 2008
the death of a dear person can lead to this
it may be ur lover
father ,mother,siblings or a friend

extream grief is wat i call it.
if not controlled can lead one to
doing such drastic thing as suicide.

as for me,hunnnnm!
i dont no wat i will do if
my mother passes on
as much as i hate to addmite it
i no it may happen any time

i realy love her so much
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by eudio(f): 3:38pm On May 14, 2008
oge4real my sister, i support u, but as for me, i no only jump am pass, i fly am pass.

sucide for this kind beautiful live with lovely family? mbanu, tufiakua
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by PrincessMo(f): 7:41am On May 15, 2008
I've never attempted suicide but I have friends
who have. One of them said she was jus tired of
being told wut to do. She said in this world we are
constanly being told wut to do even if we think we have
our freedom. She used to cut herself for a long time and
I used to beg her to step till one day she decided to take
sum weird pills. She was wretching when her mom found her
and called for help. She could have died if her mom
hadn't found her just then. She's Indian and you kno how Indian culture
can be strict. She was the rebellious kind. . .
My other friends had other reasons but heh. . .I can't be bothered
to type anymore than I've done.
I'm a VERY HAPPY person!!! It's not like I don't have my own problems
in life but taking my life isn't an option because I LOVE LIFE!! cheesy
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by shawn123: 8:45am On May 15, 2008
whether the cases are reported or not reported, suicide is rare in Africa as compared to the western world. I think its because we can handle more hardship and stress than they can. I read in the new of some girl who commited suicide in America because her boyfriend left her, thats pretty dump. The very few suicide cases we have seen in Naija has to do with bankrupcy, But westerners seem to commit suicide for negligible reasons, like some one said its probably because dem don chop belle full. cool

Nigerian Man Sentenced To 18 Years In Prison For Marrying A South African Lady / . / Pls How Can I Report This Stubborn Pastor PHOTOS