Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

What Drives Someone To Suicide? - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Drives Someone To Suicide? (5902 Views)

32-yr-old Man Commits Suicide Over Wife’s Infidelity In Bayelsa / Nigerian Military Kills 2 Suicide Bombers In Borno / What Drives Someone To Commit Suicide. (2) (3) (4)

Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Lady2(f): 4:42pm On May 15, 2008
What drives someone to suicide?

YANKEEEEEE
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Esss(m): 5:55pm On May 15, 2008
Question; What drives someone to suicide??

Answers;

0. P.D.P
1. Life
2. Government
3. N.E.P.A or is it now P.H.C.N
4. Nigerian Traffick
5. Nigerian Police
6. Our Parents
7. Kids
8. Our Partners
9. Nigerian Banks (Savannah Bank)

10. Cowardice (This is the real killer).
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by linn(f): 9:28am On May 16, 2008
I think fustration and depression and all that makes some think of suicide. But suicide is some thing one ought not to think of. No matter how hard and fustrating life tend to be, suicide is the worst option to think of. We are all blessed, we have the ultimate Father who never turns his back on us, once u run to him he's always there with an open arms, so why think of it?
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by kokorunna(m): 9:42am On May 16, 2008
Its madness that drives people to suicide and people like that go to HELL gbosa?

When innocent people are suffering round the world and still getting on with life.

Some people just  have too much money and still commit suicide
Some people are stressed out and commit suicide

This world is turning into a crazy place, some people in Africa, Asia and other Continents of World are out there SUFFERING and still thanking GOD.

I don't have pit on those that commit suicide no matter what the circumstances are, the only people that I have pit for all those that are SICK and suffering inside, may GOD send his healing upon this people.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by atilla(m): 1:59pm On May 16, 2008
when people are depressed most of their thought tend to be all or nothing, they have a negative perspective of things, From the time they wake up till when they sleep your thoughts keep bothering you and they are usually negative thoughts and a cycle of putting yourself dow, Someone could say somehthing funy to u or be rude to u instead of brushing it off it would escalate to massive negative self depreciating thoughtsn.

I have thought of suicide at one time, I just wanted to end the constant negative thougths, i could not find anyway out my problems and they would keep coming plus I had a very low image of myself so i thought why not, what difference would my life make anyway.

there is always a way out wether now or later, and problems have to be addressed rather than cancelled by drastic action or suicide cause thats what life is about learning from mistakes and tackling problems.

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY OUT.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by mystikal(m): 6:39pm On May 16, 2008
Suicide really sucks, but its funny how some of us think of it as a joke!, I think its more serious than that

At some point in my early life, I had considered Suicide, seriously i was this close 2 taking my life, many events led to this.

But looking back now, i guess i was ignorant of life's complexities and how deep God's love was, and i was equally fortunate to have a loving and caring family for support.
Many Suicide victims aren't this lucky and some are just plain ignorant.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by bluehorizo(m): 11:10pm On May 16, 2008
Some of the negative life experiences that may cause depression, and some other causes for depression, include:

* The death of a loved one.

* A divorce, separation, or breakup of a relationship.

* Losing custody of children, or feeling that a child custody decision is not fair.

* A serious loss, such as a loss of a job, house, or money.

* A serious illness.

* A terminal illness.

* A serious accident.

* Chronic physical pain.

* Intense emotional pain.

* Loss of hope.

* Being victimized (domestic violence, rape, assault, etc).

* A loved one being victimized (child murder, child molestation, kidnapping, murder, rape, assault, etc.).

* Physical abuse.

* Verbal abuse.

* Sexual abuse.

* Unresolved abuse (of any kind) from the past.

* Feeling "trapped" in a situation perceived as negative.

* Feeling that things will never "get better."

* Feeling helpless.

* Serious legal problems, such as criminal prosecution or incarceration.

* Feeling "taken advantage of."

* Inability to deal with a perceived "humiliating" situation.

* Inability to deal with a perceived "failure."

* Alcohol abuse.

* Drug abuse.

* A feeling of not being accepted by family, friends, or society.

* A horrible disappointment.

* Feeling like one has not lived up to his or her high expectations or those of another.

* Bullying. (Adults, as well as children, can be bullied.)

* Low self-esteem.

Again, the above causes may trigger depression, and untreated depression is the number one cause for suicide.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by TmeD0(m): 1:10am On May 17, 2008
Walahi, life too sweet to even contemplate suicide o jare. Suicide ke? To me suicide is just an easy way out not to face the consequence of one's action or inaction. By the latter, I mean the thought of being regarded as a failure. What most of the suicide victims that fall in this category fail to realize is that success does not always equal material possessions. The ones in this category try to live beyond their means and pay attention to what other people are saying about them. As for me o, I don dey long enough for this earth to give rat yansh about what anyone say about me---as long as you no dey feed, clothe, pay my bills, whatever you say about me don't mean jack to me. Bottom line be say na feeling of hopelessness dey result into suicide. My pipu, where life dey, hope suppose dey now. O pari! Na just baba ijebu's short take on it be dat. Peace!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Tornadoz(m): 1:45pm On May 17, 2008
Question; What drives someone to suicide?
In most cases cars. (Pun intended)
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by redsun(m): 7:20am On May 18, 2008
Suicide is a state of complete hypnotism and cowardice,no sane mind wants to die,unless of course it's dying for the cause of personal freedom,self defense.There are lots to live for,ride till the last moment,always try to make it better.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 18, 2008
Esss:

Answers;

0. P.D.P
1. Life
2. Government
4. Nigerian Traffick
5. Nigerian Police
6. Our Parents
7. Kids
8. Our Partners

THIS IS A SUICIDE NOTE, LOL
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by jennyjatt: 7:42pm On May 18, 2008

Answers;

0. P.D.P
1. Life
2. Government
4. Nigerian Traffick
5. Nigerian Police
6. Our Parents
7. Kids
8. Our Partners

@ emmeno
u forgot to mention somethin
11- nollywood can drive one to commit suicide grin grin wink
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by xammy(m): 8:42pm On May 18, 2008
i don't think suicide is popular in Nigeria. the rate is very very low compare to what they have in the UK & US. thanks to the number of churches and pastors.

An Average Nigeria believe That "ONE DAY E GO BETTER"
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Echidime(m): 7:58am On May 19, 2008
p o v e r t y
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by favcom(m): 10:16am On May 20, 2008
jennyjatt:

Answers;

0. P.D.P
1. Life
2. Government
4. Nigerian Traffick
5. Nigerian Police
6. Our Parents
7. Kids
8. Our Partners

@ emmeno
11- nollywood can drive one to commit suicide grin grin wink

Nairalanders! Una too much abeg grin grin grin
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by finguy(m): 10:49am On May 20, 2008
i think if we had given obasanjo his third term we would all know what causes one to commit sucide, but then who for tell the tale.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by finguy(m): 10:59am On May 20, 2008
xammy, where you come from, who told you sucide is not popular in naija. all those bodies that litter the streets how do u think they happen. someone out of poverty trek from shasha to island, fall on his way back die, didnt he commit sucide, or agbero who hasnt eaten for like 10days dey threaten giant all to get 20, then when things go out of hand,one punch the guy dies, didnt he commit succide, or person wey no fit afford nepa bills after they cut his light, the guy climn pole form electrician, gets the vibes and dies, that no be sucide. or what u want is one to take a gun, then say Bleep life men, and pull the trigger.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Harus(m): 6:20pm On May 20, 2008
@ ALL POSTERS

There are some points been posted by some of u that may tempt someone out there to commit suicide because his/her problems is exactly the same as the one in the post and some posts may discourage someone who intend to commit suicide.

For instance, some people may consider posts that says " LIFE IS SWEET; GOD HAS SOLUTION FOR ALL PROBLEMS" and begin to hope that God will definitely show them the way (GOOD) while others may consider posts that says " SUICIDE IS WORTH DOING SOMETIMES because , " and consequently commit suicide (WRONG).
Some may even ask "WHEN WOULD GOD FREE HIM/HER FROM THIS SUFFERING? WHAT WOULD PEOPLE SAY OF ME? e.t.c"

Out of 100%, 70% may conclude wrongly.
I agree that suicide is a taboo in Africa but those that commit it may not think about that.

@ NAIRALAND ADMINISTRATOR
I humbly request for removal of this topic please.
I look 4ward to ur consideration.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:24pm On May 21, 2008
like some one said its probably because them don chop belle full.

buhahahahahhah grin grin grin cool
yea i like that
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by holythug(m): 1:33pm On May 21, 2008
na life tire dem
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by barikisu(f): 12:03pm On May 22, 2008
I saw someone "drive" to suicide in an escalade recently grin
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dee02(m): 12:02pm On May 23, 2008
pot bellies
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 23, 2008
jennyjatt:

[color=#006600]Question; What drives someone to suicide??

@ emmeno
11- [size=20pt]nollywood[/size] can drive one to commit suicide grin grin wink

I'm so sorry, forgive ma forgetfulness. I swear i almost commited suicide cos of this
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by davidif: 7:59pm On May 25, 2008
YANKEEEEEE
You're right my sister.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by beneli(m): 3:03pm On May 26, 2008
To understand what drives people to murder themselves (suicide), it may help for us to understand the types of suicide that actually exist. The French Sociologist Emile Durkheim differentiated four types:

1) Egoistic Suicide-in an individual who is not properly integrated into his community/society and who lacks the social ties to keep him going. Seen in widow(er)s, for instance.
2) Altruistic Suicide-in an individual who belives that his death will benefit the larger society. Suicde bombers, for instances.
3) Anomic Suicide-here the individual uses suicide as an escape route from the demands of living. This can be seen following a dramatic change in life fortunes.
4) Fatalistic Suicide-is seen in those individuals who have no hope of change. Said to have been common in the days of Slavery.

FYI
The Assessment of Suicide risk is one of the major assignments of Clinicians in societies where there is a high suicide rate. In these societies one of the scales that can be used is the SADPERSONS scale. SADPERSONS is the acronym for some of those factors that Mental Health clinicians associate with an increased risk of Suicide and it stands for the following:

S- sex-men have a higher incidence of completed suicide

A-age-less than 19 or more than 45 years

D-depression with associated feeling of hopelessness increases the chances

P-previous attempt-the more the attempts the greater the chances of success!

E-ethanol/alcohol abuse-higher in individuals who self-medicate with alcohol

R-rational thinking(loss of)-in other words having a psychotic illness increases the chances of suicide

S-separated/divorced or widowed individuals are at a higher risk

O-organised plan. Impulsive suicide attempts, though at times succesful are considered less weighty than when a lot of thought has been given to murdering oneself.

N-no support network

S-stated future intent. In other words the individual expresses a future intention to murder themselves.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dadsgal(f): 3:06pm On May 26, 2008
i think its faustration,nothing more and nothing less.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dee02(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2008
beneli:

To understand what drives people to murder themselves (suicide), it may help for us to understand the types of suicide that actually exist. The French Sociologist Emile Durkheim differentiated four types:

1) Egoistic Suicide-in an individual who is not properly integrated into his community/society and who lacks the social ties to keep him going. Seen in widow(er)s, for instance.
2) Altruistic Suicide-in an individual who belives that his death will benefit the larger society. Suicde bombers, for instances.
3) Anomic Suicide-here the individual uses suicide as an escape route from the demands of living. This can be seen following a dramatic change in life fortunes.
4) Fatalistic Suicide-is seen in those individuals who have no hope of change. Said to have been common in the days of Slavery.

FYI
The Assessment of Suicide risk is one of the major assignments of Clinicians in societies where there is a high suicide rate. In these societies one of the scales that can be used is the SADPERSONS scale. SADPERSONS is the acronym for some of those factors that Mental Health clinicians associate with an increased risk of Suicide and it stands for the following:

S- sex-men have a higher incidence of completed suicide

A-age-less than 19 or more than 45 years

D-depression with associated feeling of hopelessness increases the chances

P-previous attempt-the more the attempts the greater the chances of success!

E-ethanol/alcohol abuse-higher in individuals who self-medicate with alcohol

R-rational thinking(loss of)-in other words having a psychotic illness increases the chances of suicide

S-separated/divorced or widowed individuals are at a higher risk

O-organised plan. Impulsive suicide attempts, though at times succesful are considered less weighty than when a lot of thought has been given to murdering oneself.

N-no support network

S-stated future intent. In other words the individual expresses a future intention to murder themselves.

What drives one to suicide and not what is the meaning and rudiments of suicide?!

ITK grin
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by emekag2: 8:21pm On May 26, 2008
Nice discussion.

I think suicide or life problems is caused by excessive desire.

People just think they deserve more. We want the best cars, the best friends, the best society, nothing is perfect. Unless you start appreciating and enjoying what you have, you are likely to feel sucidal.

So do more and expect less.

The most brillant people don't always make it in life becuse they are faster than their shadows. Same with the most beautiful and handsome people getting bad spouse. Same with the super rich having useless children. Same with everything in life.

Don't let the exception deceive you. Cut down on your expectations. Do more and expect less. You will be happy. And perhaps life long.

Just my obeservation.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Gabry(f): 5:39am On May 27, 2008
Almost half of my family has gone through commiting suicide but most of us did not suceed. Come to think of it, I think most of us go through it because of one thing which is Self Pity.

But I can give you two good examples of succesfull suicide stories. The first one is my classmate. She is Half Malaysian and half Indonesian. In Malaysia, most Malaysian people would look down on Indonesian people and when they found out that she is mix blooded, they tease her, spit at her, threw stones at her and etc etc. One day she had enough that she hunged herself to death at the School Toilet.

The second story is my cousin. She fell in love with this guy but the problem is not their love, its the guys mother. She basically hates my cousin and constantly puts her down and treat her like a dog. She would complaint over everything she does and always call her useless/ugly/worthless etc etc and my cousin tried telling her fiance but her fiance is even too scared to stand up towards his mother and told her to be patient. Just one day before they got married, her fiance told her that after they get married, they have no choice but to stay in his mother's house because his mother wanted it that way. She went back home and the next thing I knew, she's dead. The police had notified that she drank acid and thats how her internal organs and her skin went melted.

based on a research, they say that the highest percentage of commiting suicide crimes is in Switzerland and it has to do with Dentist. They so called say that dentist commited suicide because they are sick and tired of seeing and smelling people mouth every single day and they get depress over it. I dont know,
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by krama(m): 7:00am On May 27, 2008
gabrywyl:

Almost half of my family has gone through commiting suicide but most of us did not suceed.

I guess that includes you? If so, are you now glad that you are still in circulation? grin

Well sorry about your cousin and classmate please.
I think the major reason people would want to commit suicide is when they don’t see a future ahead of them that is better than the present. Of course there may be other secondary reasons, like wanting to prove a point, or being under some sort of influence, etc. 

In any case people have the right to live, but they don't have the right to take their lives. People should have confidence in themselves, and believe that they have a lot to contribute to their world.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dee02(m): 6:17pm On May 27, 2008
gabrywyl:

Almost half of my family has gone through commiting suicide but most of us did not suceed. Come to think of it, I think most of us go through it because of one thing which is Self Pity.
But I can give you two good examples of succesfull suicide stories. The first one is my classmate. She is Half Malaysian and half Indonesian. In Malaysia, most Malaysian people would look down on Indonesian people and when they found out that she is mix blooded, they tease her, spit at her, threw stones at her and etc etc. One day she had enough that she hunged herself to death at the School Toilet.

U this Malaysian girl!!

Waz it not you that was talking about the size of her Nigerian boyfriend's di/ck on the romance section?

Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by holythug(m): 6:20pm On May 27, 2008
ummm, ow pathetic sad

Unknown Gunmen Kidnap Female Soldier, Strip And Threaten To Behead Her / Pls How Can I Report This Stubborn Pastor PHOTOS / I Was Raped From Behind …nurse Recounts Night Duty Ordeal With Senior Colleague

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60