Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,921 members, 7,828,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

What Drives Someone To Suicide? - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Drives Someone To Suicide? (5901 Views)

32-yr-old Man Commits Suicide Over Wife’s Infidelity In Bayelsa / Nigerian Military Kills 2 Suicide Bombers In Borno / What Drives Someone To Commit Suicide. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Xiomarra: 10:11am On May 28, 2008
Living in Nigeria without social amenities. Nothing to do after 5PM but phock.

No movie theaters, no game arcades, no decent concerts without area boy fingering you during "Change Over" of alternative power supply, no night clubs without people with body ordor and dusty armpits. No decent restaurants without fear of "recycled" meat and fish from road kills or dead whales swept ashore.

No health care facilities better than those of native doctors.

Education only for the mentally retarded.

Transportation for those on a suicide mission.

Security, the police is your friend for sure.

Prostitution and armed robbery as the only gainfull sources of employment for the so called agbaya youths with grey pubic hair.

Illiteracy seen as a badge of honor by most.

And the list goes on and on.

What a depressing place to live
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by WesleyanA(f): 6:01am On May 29, 2008
yeah suicide rate is probably lower in Africa than in the west. even though there's hardship (listed in the above post), there is family, extended family and the community to share your depression (or whatever leads one to suicide) with.
In the west, the culture is so individualistic with automated machines, or formal professionals if you're lucky, for everything. no warmth or frendliness among the people to help you survive stress. just cold and keep to yourself attitude. even when they smile at you, you try to figure if it's a fake or genuine smile. lol most likely fake.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by dee02(m): 5:48pm On May 29, 2008
nigeria
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by tompi: 5:42pm On May 30, 2008
I don't think there's anything in this life that should make one prone to suicide cos i believe where there'slife, there's hope. It's only a self centered person that would commit suicide and thrown his family/ friends into utter despair. Even if he doesn't have anyone left in the whole world.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Sonye(f): 10:34pm On Jun 02, 2008
have you ever loved someone so much and the person betrays your love? i don't think so. otherwise, you would know how the thought of suicide feels like
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Missworld(f): 5:50am On Jun 03, 2008
Someone said u will never understand till u experience it; partially true.  I was once very ignorant about suicide, just couldn't find a reason why someone will take their own life against the preaching n hope all over. It was hard for me to grasp but now I'll tell you that usually depression lead to suicide. And depression is caused by pilled-up problems which initially frustrates the individual then over a long period of time shifts them to the darkest end of the world n strip them of all positive mental attitude. At this time, the person will even call him/herself a coward as the urge of putting an end to the miserable life reaches its climax.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Morrie(f): 4:00pm On Jun 06, 2008
cannot comment, i can imagine
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Jonnyville(m): 4:18pm On Jun 06, 2008
I don't understand it tho of hw some1 wil want 2 commit suicide

The one dat baffles me most is dat of Killing ones Family member and Finally killin 1's sef

Dey sed its happenning in SA

Wonders will neva cease 2 end
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Novacaine(m): 3:18pm On Jun 07, 2008
Just ask Nirvana
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Novacaine(m): 3:19pm On Jun 07, 2008
Ohh i forgot Chris Benoit and Hitler but seriously it is the most cowardly thing to do
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by florishn(f): 11:34am On Jun 17, 2008
the post is very educative luv the post
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by HolyMic(m): 11:50am On Jun 17, 2008
This is the state of British Affairs when a paedophile and sex crime pervert is allowed to work in the media:
Kevin Lynch of the daily mirror, you have been busted, I hope they bum rape you in jail!
Dont believe me?
Call Kevin Lynch on 020 7293 2031 or email kevin.lynch@mirror.co.uk
BABY FUCKERS, THE LOT OF YOU CUNTS!!!!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by jintujinta(m): 12:10pm On Jun 18, 2008
iNSANITY AT THE FIRST LEVEL!
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by MyAfriplac: 9:46pm On Jun 19, 2008
Nothing should drive a person in their right mind to commit suicide. but it does start with being angry with the world and at yourself. Disatisfaction with the state of the world leads to questioning ones place in it. But who can we blame, when we have been given the power of dominion over the whole world. Who can we blame when we are children of the Creator of the universe. Kings and Queens should have no reason to kill themselves

www.myafriplace.com
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by ladybam(f): 9:57am On Jun 21, 2008
speaking of suicide,what about suicide bombers.In 2005, there was this 20 year old Marvan Abu Ubeida.he says has been training for months to carry out a suicide mission.this young man plans to offer up a final prayer and then blow himself along with as many U.S. or Iraqi soldiers as he can reach.Marwan asked his commander to consider him for a suicide mission but had to wait until the beginning of April for his name to be put on the list of volunteers.When his commander finally agreed,Marwan recalls, "it was the happiest day of my life."
While he waits, he spends much of his time rehearsing that last prayer. "First I will ask Allah to bless my mission with a high rate of casualties among the Americans," he says, speaking softly in a matter-of-fact monotone, as if dictating a shopping list. "Then I will ask him to purify my soul so I am fit to see him, and I will ask to see my mujahedin brothers who are already with him." He pauses to run the list through his mind again, then resumes: "The most important thing is that he should let me kill many Americans."and at the time for his mission draws near he says,"I can't wait," "I am ready to die now."

Ok, now why some people kill themselves out of depression, others have ulterior motives and build up so much alacrity toward comiting suicide.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by HRhotness(f): 10:08am On Jun 21, 2008
lady bam:

speaking of suicide,what about suicide bombers.In 2005, there was this 20 year old Marvan Abu Ubeida.he says has been training for months to carry out a suicide mission.this young man plans to offer up a final prayer and then blow himself along with as many US. or Iraqi soldiers as he can reach.Marwan asked his commander to consider him for a suicide mission but had to wait until the beginning of April for his name to be put on the list of volunteers.When his commander finally agreed,Marwan recalls, "it was the happiest day of my life."
While he waits, he spends much of his time rehearsing that last prayer. "First I will ask Allah to bless my mission with a high rate of casualties among the Americans," he says, speaking softly in a matter-of-fact monotone, as if dictating a shopping list. "Then I will ask him to purify my soul so I am fit to see him, and I will ask to see my mujahedin brothers who are already with him." He pauses to run the list through his mind again, then resumes: "The most important thing is that he should let me kill many Americans."and at the time for his mission draws near he says,"I can't wait," "I am ready to die now."

Ok, now why some people kill themselves out of depression, others have ulterior motives and build up so much alacrity toward comiting suicide.

Isn't that due to the promise of paradise with 7 virgins?
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 1:34am On Jun 22, 2008
WesleyanA:

yeah suicide rate is probably lower in Africa than in the west. even though there's hardship (listed in the above post), there is family, extended family and the community to share your depression (or whatever leads one to suicide) with.
In the west, the culture is so individualistic with automated machines, or formal professionals if you're lucky, for everything. no warmth or frendliness among the people to help you survive stress. just cold and keep to yourself attitude. even when they smile at you, you try to figure if it's a fake or genuine smile. lol most likely fake.

Many an african men commit suicide daily but due to the way things are, majority, if not 99% of all suicides go unreported. It is not same as suicide rate being lower in africa, compared to the west. Do you really believe that the mortality rate in most of africa remains around the 49 year mark for no reason How many UNEXPLAINED deaths have you not heard of in that continent, that to date are attributed to some god or another striking a person to death in sleep?? Depression exists both in the west and in Africa. Even in asia, where it is still considered a taboo, they still battle with such problems even as they become more open to speaking up about it. How much more in Africa?? Depression is not necessarily linked to how much you have or do not have but your mind setting and how you process information.

Are you being in any way objective when you try to compare open societies where all is discussed in the open to closed societies where the subject remains taboo?? Do you really think you help the victims in africa by doing this or is this just about you?? Do you even have any will to save a life, no matter how insignificant, in africa??

I went to school with so many kids from broken homes. I heard of a couple of suicides back in college in Nigeria. I even got to learn that a lot of those who join cults do so with death wishes of some sort. Due to the religious teachings that are pumped into people from childhood, many grow up afraid of putting the knife to their own throats as they believe it will mean damnation for them but they secretly pray for death. People who are suicidal are not able to discuss the issue for fear of having the information spread to those they do not want to know of it. That is a problem that exists in Africa to date. I have, growing up in Nigeria alone met so many depressed people who do all they can to mask their real feelings for fear of being rejected by people. Depressed people do not have to take a gun to their heads for us to know that they may be suicidal.  I even remember telling one of my aunt, when I was a kid, in Nigeria, that I was depressed. You should have seen the reaction, it was almost as if I had commited the cardinal sin. She told me how ungrateful I was and how I was damning my soul by thinking such thoughts. Do you think I ever opened my mouth about the issue after that experience?? ROFLMAO~!!!

Trying to assume suicidal minds do not exist in africa is trying to decieve self in hopes that problems go away just cause we make up such claims. I suggest that more and more people develop compassionate hearts and actually learn to listen to those around them more. Maybe then and only then would you realize how wrong that claim you made up there truly is.

Can we for once stop with the reasoning that as long as it exists in the west, we should all not be alarmed that it exists within our own shores. I mean what is with this culture of celebrating and accepting mediocrity??
Why not focus on the problem itself and work towards reducing it instead of coming up with irrational comparisons of these issues with the west so we can sit back and continue NOT TO ACT??

I don't understand how many in here were raised but what is with comparing with the west or north and then using that as yardstick for what we should act on or not act on?? We live in a country where lots of problems exist but for most every thread you find people who are willing to trade common sense for silly arguments that usually follow the line " IT HAPPENS IN THE WEST AND SO WE SHOULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM" or "THE PROBLEM EXISTS MORE IN THE WEST IS JUSTIFICATION FOR US TO CONTINUE TO SIT WITH OUR ARMS FOLDED AND DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING". Does this really make sense to any one of those who approach most every issue with this line of reasoning??

Do you say because your neigbour's son is in Jail is reason why there is no problem with your own son heading to or being in Jail?? Should we also decide that since corruption exists in the west, we should not speak out against our own government and it's corrupt ways? Each time I read these things, first question that comes to mind is "What mother/father raised these people?".
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Falciparum(m): 3:42pm On Jun 22, 2008
This topic is quite serious and i thank the first poster for putting it up its just that no one really takes them serious. To be Sincere Suicide had been on my mind for a long time.I just keep hopeing that somehow stuffs would work out. Most people dont know whats its like being at the end of things, Yeah we all have bad times but some are definately much more than others. One thing that keeps people like us going is seeing other people with a more serious problem and still surviving. We as humans need to be sensitive to other peoples problems not to try and solve them but to encourage them at least. We all have one life to live so lets make the best of it cause you might never get them done again.

Suicide aint Cowardice. if you havent felt it you cant understand it.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Jun 22, 2008
Falciparum:

This topic is quite serious and i thank the first poster for putting it up its just that no one really takes them serious. To be Sincere Suicide had been on my mind for a long time.I just keep hopeing that somehow stuffs would work out. Most people don't know whats its like being at the end of things, Yeah we all have bad times but some are definately much more than others. One thing that keeps people like us going is seeing other people with a more serious problem and still surviving. We as humans need to be sensitive to other peoples problems not to try and solve them but to encourage them at least. We all have one life to live so lets make the best of it cause you might never get them done again.

Suicide aint Cowardice. if you havent felt it you can't understand it.

I don't know where you are in your struggle but can I suggest that if you do not know God, you should search for him. I was as a child in Nigeria plagued with such thoughts as I did not have a sense of purpose and that basically is the main reason for my having those thoughts myself. I basically did not have an understanding of my life's pupose and so did not really see value in so much of the things people celebrated and held close to heart and all. But, back about 4 years ago, I found God and I found a purpose and a reason to live; a reason bigger than just the fact that there are those in worse situations. I wake up with a reason bigger than I and I am happier and more able to see that it is not about material things and a need to please people but more. I do deal with such emotions every now and then but I am better able today to overcome those thoughts than when I was younger. So I am hopeful that more people can too.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Casfan123: 1:05am On May 07, 2010
As i dey so,i no get joy.my mum is always critizing me everyday simply because i have not achieved anytin in life.am faustrated.i want 2 make money,fast money so dat i will gain respect in my family.am thinking of going 4 money rituals.pls were do dey do blood money.wat do u think?
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by Osama10(m): 3:27am On May 08, 2010
Nothing on earth.
Re: What Drives Someone To Suicide? by tlops(m): 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2011
really dont know, but its rich man's solution, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Spoilt 850 Million Naira Hidden In a Bush By Unknown Persons (Photos) / Unknown Gunmen Kidnap Female Soldier, Strip And Threaten To Behead Her / Pls How Can I Report This Stubborn Pastor PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.