Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125748 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:40am On Sep 05, 2013
Don't use a Dvd motor to build a model helicopter. They can't stand that abuse.
They have alot of plastic holding their brush. The'd only melt in a couple of seconds. Use a Pc printer motor,if you can't source for a powerfull motor
The pictures below shows some Dvd motors. Notice the huge quantity of milkish white plastic,holding the frail brushes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:42am On Sep 05, 2013
Here

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:44am On Sep 05, 2013
Note that,your DVD motors are too small to consider using as a helicopter powerplant.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:45am On Sep 05, 2013
K
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 05, 2013
a printer motor hmmm, k . what should I use for the blades cus aluminium ain't helping
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 05, 2013
a printer motor hmmm, wat abt the weight of such huge motor . what should I use for the blades cus aluminium ain't helping
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 12:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
I didnt just say a printer. I said;a pc printer. The motor you saw me rewind,in one of the pix,was gotten from a pc printer (computer printer) it weighs jus 66grams.
For the blades,use composite made blades,if you can get your hands on it. If you can't, then i'll advice you use balsa wood. If you still can't get balsa wood,then use baton wood. You can find baton wood everywhere. It's used to hold the ceiling boards in place,in your house.
Just cut it to your size,like i did in the pix below.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
is there any other device with huge motor cus nobody would readily give u there printer motor
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
Then buy a large toycar.
Take it to pieces and get it's motor. But i will not guarantee you much success.
Unless you're going to be ordering for a suitable motor.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Sidajili: 2:28pm On Sep 05, 2013
gentlemen,

keep up the good work. I am following this thread with interest. will chip in where necessary.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
am planning of using rechargeable torch batteries bt they weight a ton, wat battery is light, rechargeable and has high volt
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
am planning of using rechargeable torch batteries bt they weight a ton, which battery do u tink i should use, that is light, rechargeable and has high volt
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:07pm On Sep 05, 2013
Elaborate more on that.
You said rechargeable. There are li-ion,li-polymer,nickel metal hydrid,nickel cadmium and lead battery. So which one do u mean?
But the best amongst them all are li-polymer,followed by li-ion.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
Elaborate more on that.
You said rechargeable. There are li-ion,li-polymer,nickel metal hydrid,nickel cadmium and lead battery in the rechargeable class. So which one do u mean?
But the best amongst them all are li-polymer,followed by li-ion.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
pls give me a detailed and comprehensive tutorial on how u made that swash plate or something like dat
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:05pm On Sep 06, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
ok....
A helicopter blade is articulated (two or more sections joined together in a way that makes it easier to move in all directions). It lead and lag. It flaps up and down. It also teeters. Let's focus on the teetering for now,because that is the primary function of the swashplate.
Now look at the animation below. Notice how the swash plate teeters the heli blade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
With a clear understanding of how a swashplate works. One can easily figure out how his swashplate is going to look like.
Note that;the upper swashplate is in contact with the main shaft,through a ball joint.
Here are the main components i made mine from.
(1) Metal ring (cut from a sheet metal)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:57pm On Sep 06, 2013
(2) Grooved plastic ring (has a groov on its side)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:00pm On Sep 06, 2013
(3)3 ball bearings (they end uq in the groove

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:01pm On Sep 06, 2013
(4) 1 big bearing ball (for the ball joint)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2013
(5) 3 'L' shape metal.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2013
You are wondering where those 3 ball bearings were going to sit, righ?
They are going to sit on the face of those three 'L' shaped metal. Like in the picture below......

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Before assembly,you should have something like in the picture below....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
After assembly,you should have something like the picture below......

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
Sidajili: gentlemen,

keep up the good work. I am following this thread with interest. will chip in where necessary.

@ Sidajili
Tanx alot...... U na Baba naa.

@Preboy
still on the swashplate explaination.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:51pm On Sep 06, 2013
You can figure out how to connect you linkages to the rotor blades. It all depends on your setup. Mind you. You can build your swashplate however you want to. But be certain it does what it should do as a swashplate. Most of all,ensure that all joints and linkages are friction-free to the minimal. I don't have to emphasize the kind of power,a little friction can steal from you. Just like it did,in the picture below,when i was forced to dismantle my rotor head,and inspect the reduction in Rpm.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:04am On Sep 07, 2013
Below is a picture of my rotorhead,during a spin up test,to test how friction free the swashplate is....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2013
Posting some pictures of the flybar fabrication.....
They are fabricated from thin aluminium sheets. Balanced and leveled as possible...

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:44am On Sep 07, 2013
Some assembly pix....

Here is the flybar,being assembled into the rotor head.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2013
Here's the flybar,comfortably sitting on the rotor head,connected to the swashplate.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2013
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:13am On Sep 07, 2013
Here's the one way bearing,being inserted into the rotor shaft......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.