Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125629 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 2:35pm On Nov 02, 2013
@toms,
videos cant be posted here,except the link. If you cant view it,then you haven't setup your streaming settings. Get some one to do tiat for you,or you can just download any youtube apps.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:42pm On Nov 02, 2013
Here's another video of me,practicing how to fly. But in this video,i still haven't setup the gyro well. The gain isn't much,about 30%. So i had a hard time trying to hold the tail. http://m.youtube.com /watch?v=XM7J5Qn...v-google&hl=en
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
Here is another clip of the practice. In this practice,i noticed the heli was moving forward. I was later to correct that. http://m.youtube.com /watch?v=AAKOw6F...v-google&hl=en
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by swtchicgurl: 4:47am On Nov 04, 2013
to be honest, you are awesome, obinna. Keep the good work.

welldone!

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
swtchicgurl: to be honest, you are awesome, obinna. Keep the good work.

welldone!

Thanks alot.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
Here's a pix of some little flights.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:33pm On Nov 07, 2013
I've had 28 flight practice with the heli.. As a learner. I've also had 18 crashes. Each time i have a crash,the tail drive must be affected,needing a new modification.. Lately i ran out of modification. So i decided to discard the shaft drive,and replace it with a belt drive. Since belt drive is very forgiving during a crash,i will prefer it.. Who knows. Without a simulator,i might get so many crashes,before i finally learn how to fly her.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
I have started constructing and modifying my existing materials into a belt drive... It isn't a very efficient build,but i have no choice.
To make the belt pulley,i used a 13tooth pinion. Added two fiberglass disc,and glued it to bothside of the pinion,to act as guide and stopper for the belt not to slip off the pinion.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
The constructed pulley. And the belt drive as well.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:53pm On Nov 07, 2013
The tooth of the belt meshes with the tooth of the pinion gear. This pinion was carefully selected for it's size,because it was jus enough to make a right size tooth gap that was an exact fit for the belt tooth.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:16pm On Nov 08, 2013
I cut the tail blades today. I noticed they where a bit too long... I was later to learn that i didn't cut them precisely well. One blade eventually happened to be heavier than the other...
After changing from a shaft driven taik to a belt driven type. I decided to spool up the heli,to test the performance of the newly installed belt drive...
There was some noticeable vibrations in the tail boom. I suddenly knew the vibrations were coming from no other place than the newly cut blades.
I decided to balance the blades.
The setup in the picture below,was how i managed to balance the blades. The setup is like a seesaw. It tilts down on one side,ìf that side happens to be the heaviest side. The seesaw will remain horizontal if the weight of the two blades are the same. I mounted the two blades on this setup.
As expected,one side of the seesaw went down,indicating that the blade on that side was heavier than the other one.. I had to file out some materials off the heavier blade,to make it lighter. Then i put the blades back on the seesaw blade balancer,to see if the two blades were in equilibrum... It still wasn't. I repeated the first process of filling of some materials off the heavier blade. Then i put back the setup again,to recheck... You have to be patient when balancing blades. The can be time consuming. I had to repeat mine for almos a dozen time.
Finally,i got it right.
I then slapped the blades back on the heli,and spooled up. The vibration was gone!

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
Having achieved that. I went on to construct the heli body. I calle a friend of mine,who studied mechanical engineering in my school,to assist me build the body. I was going to be too preocuppied with other intricate technical setups,which included the swashplate,the C.G(center of gravity),the tail collective pitch setup and the gyro..
However,i had to inspect him,to ascertain he was designing it in line with the specifications i had given him..
After so many trials and errors. He finally came up with a decent design,which i personally think was wonderful.
He spent the whole day,making the designe,trying to get it well.
When he was done with the front part,i fixed it in the heli,to see the new look.
The picture below,is how the heli will look like,when it's finished.
I am thinking of what kind of paint pattern i'll give it. Some one suggested i paint it with the logo of Mtn,Glo,Airtel or Etisalat. I'm yet to decide on whom's logo to use.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
She sure looks like a scale helicopter.

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Peterwizzy: 1:44am On Nov 12, 2013
guy u try wella ur patience is what keeps u going

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Peterwizzy: guy u try wella ur patience is what keeps u going

Yea,it's patîence that keeps us all going in this world!
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
UPDATE!!!

I had a crash recently! The helicopter was badly damaged. However,i have decided to construct another 450 class helicopter. P
I am expecting some few 450 class helicopter parts. As soon as i recive it,i shall proceed to complete the helicopter.
I have started building the frame work and chasis. It was constructed from an aluminuim pot cover. I stole the pot cover from my mother's kitchen. And she has been rattling about it!
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
Below is the pot cover.
I started by using a template to scribe the lines to be cut,and the holes to be drilled.
Here,i am halfway to finishing the drillings. The holes to be drilled was about 74 in number

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
Am almost done here

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
After drilling the holes,i started chiseling out the necessary lightening holes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2013
Almost done with the chiseling.
The next thing was to start cutting the aluminium pot cover.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:42pm On Nov 26, 2013
Here's the first body,cut out.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
The second half.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
I repeated this sequence again,to get these;

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here,starting from the left,i proceeded to mount the lower bearing block for the tail drive gear,the battery mount.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here,i've mounted the upper and lower bearing block for the main shaft,the upper bearing block for the tail drive gear,the tail boom holder.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here's the side view.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
I had some problem with the tail section. Suffice it to say that,i had to bring in some modifications of my own. Any modification in the tail section has to be done with a lot of care,because the tail section rotates at four times the speed of the main shaft,any imbalance due to modification,can cause a lot of vibration,enough to impair the gyro from working.
I needed to modify some sort of jigg,to use as my tailrotor pitch control arm.
After some brainstorming,i figured i could modify the control arm holder from a the tailpulley assembly of a 500class helicopter.
The black object below is half of the tailpulley assembly section of a 500 class helicopter.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here,i have cut out the control arm holder.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
I needed two of that,so i repeated the previous process twice,to get two control arm holder.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
The aim of this modification,is to construct a control ball link for the tail rotor of my helicopter,like in the picture below. However,the control ball link was too thick to go into it's housing in the tail pitch assembly. I had to file that section with a file.

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 8:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
Here's the control ball link fixed into the the tail pitch assembly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / Secret Code To Listen To Another Person Call 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.