Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,420 members, 7,954,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:47 AM

26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house (25658 Views)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 06, 2014
No 10 tho....lol... U're in d sittin room for pete's sake mom,just get up & take d remote control
*For whr*
She will scream my name so loud I will think she is in trouble... Wen I rush out,she goes like *give me d remote* Wtf...

As for No 22,my elder sister try sha...

2 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Wyclefniranz(m): 2:12pm On Dec 06, 2014
here in France na police we dey call
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 06, 2014
akinlex:
i didnt pass through these cos i was bred in Asia, bangladesh to be precise

Asians and Africans have practically identical upbringings. All my friends in college were Asians.

They would recognize everything on this list.

2 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Marineremmanson(m): 2:13pm On Dec 06, 2014
Africa, a continent full of standard moral ethics

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 06, 2014
lonelydora:
100% truth. My parents always come first in class upto University level and my Dad didn't make a 5.00 first class.

Me: Mama, i don't know what to wear to church today.
Mum: Go to my box in my wardrobe and choose one wrapper and wear.

Has anyone ever gotten "Are you going to school, or fashion parade?"

Ok, wait do schools in Nigeria all have uniforms?

2 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2014
Listen, I love African parent memes. Thanks to the Internet, our generation can expose our shared sufferings and we can now laugh about them grin

Just Google "African parents" and you will see picture memes, YouTube video, Tumblr blogs, Vine videos of African kids (mostly Nigerian, but other countries too, even East African kids) imitating their parents, and you will understand perfectly, and laugh with tears in your eyes.

I showed my mom one such video, and she didn't even get it LMAO. She was like, yeah, ok, where's the joke? Because to her, that behavior is perfectly normal lol

4 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by demsid(m): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2014
Benfaco:
Network!!! almost made fp
internet naija is too poor. moti gba visa. Kuala lumpur

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Mrfils(m): 2:19pm On Dec 06, 2014
damiso:
Love it. grin grin grin grin
Exactly my parents to a T esp the academics part.I got 6 A's at SSCE but a P in maths(my weak link)that P cancelled out the 6 A's automatically embarassed
Ehyaa... Chokes no show on maths day
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by MhisIjay(f): 2:19pm On Dec 06, 2014
Op u forgot dis one; weneva u visit d barbing saloon u ve to SCRAPE ur hair angry
I remember my mum chasing me back to d barbing saloon for barbing my hair nd nt SCRAPING it cry

6 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by baywatch84(m): 2:20pm On Dec 06, 2014
So true, my mum never use cane on me , instead she prefer pestle, wire, bigsticks, trays, I remember a time like that that my mum chase me with a mirrori accidentally broke, those were the days when boys were forged as gladiator, all thanks to my mum, today I'm a better person with a lot of responsibilities.

4 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by maafen: 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2014
The only text books you get especially in the primary school are just English and Maths. I wonder what happened to the other subjects.

16 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Vince77(m): 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2014
Lolz
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Dekingmoses(m): 2:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
Anoda provoking one is dat, the parents always beliv they are rigjht even wen doing the wrong thing and you are tryin to correct them.
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by demsid(m): 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2014
MhisIjay:
Op u forgot dis one; weneva u visit d barbing saloon u ve to SCRAPE ur hair angry
I remember my mum chasing me back to d barbing saloon for barbing my hair nd nt SCRAPING it cry
me self o. barb style ke. that's not permitted
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by naijadata: 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2014
I remember when I was in Primary 2. We had a class work on SINGULAR & PLURAL. I got 9/10 cos I wrote childrens instead of Children. I had 2 cry 2 my mom.
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Livingwalker(m): 2:33pm On Dec 06, 2014
nickz:
lmao.............. just reminded me of my fathers beating.....if he slaps you and you form boss/strongman or you act like you didn't feel itgrin
never really understood ibo that time
alll dawned on me not too long ago
he would say "so you are forming teminator for me nicholas,i gbago dimkpa right??"
after this statement you had to follow this rules if you wanted to survive

Rule 1:don't try to run
Rule 2:maintain maximum eye to eye contact
Rule 3:don't try to call my mums name while begging (my mother will from nowhere plant 2 "saddam hussein type bomb" slaps on your cheek)
Rule 4:don't shout too much...complicates things
Rule 5:always stay on his left hand side(he's left-handed so the force of the slap won't be that heavy if you position well
Rule6:if he's using a cane and it falls off his hand,act very fast;pick it up and hand it over to him ASAP
Rule7:don't anticipate "the end"...........the end might be 2 weeks later
Hahahhahaaaaa chai ....you are so on point ...I taught I was the only one ooo that observed this rules hahahaha I stubborn sha

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Klare(f): 2:34pm On Dec 06, 2014
I remember my own ordeal wit my dad when in jss 3,actually he was a single parent my mum left d 2 of us, 2girls!!!!!, since den omo see my dad see me d last dora see wahala!!!! Ooo,
i was restricted in everyfin, d tyme i goes 2 sch nd d tyme i must nd always comes bk 4rm sch, infact he enrolled us in after sch lessons i goes 2 sch by 7am nd comes 7pm... Nd still go do home wrk oo nd others ouse chores, just because make i no see boy.

On dis fateful day my dads uncle comes around need sum change, so he gave me his atm card 2 go get some cash 4 im.

On my way naso one foolish classmate of mine stopped me, boy oo 4 dat matter, he volunteer 2 follow me, so as we were going he den start 2 say fins like he loved me nd he would want us going out as bfy nd gfy. 4 d first tyme in my life hearing it 4rm a guy i jumped @ d oppurtunity by dis tyme we where near 2 ouses away 4rm mine. He den plead wit me 2 kiss im, i refuse remembering my dads warning!!!!

"Neva allow a guy touch u or u get pregnanat Nd die!!!!"

Still on d matter when i hrd my name naso d boy run commot me raise my eyes con see my papa, trust me i die!!! Before i die!!! Nd den on my periods still suffering d cramps my father beat black nd blue out of me !!!!! I stool down 4 8hrs ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by akinlex(m): 2:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
MissMeiya:

Asians and Africans have practically identical upbringings. All my friends in college were Asians.

They would recognize everything on this list.

Are you an Asian
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Livingwalker(m): 2:36pm On Dec 06, 2014
MissMeiya:

Has anyone ever gotten "Are you going to school, or fashion parade?"

Ok, wait do schools in Nigeria all have uniforms?
Hahahaha I heard that word " are you going to skul or fashion parade" like a 100 times then

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by emperorizzy(m): 2:42pm On Dec 06, 2014
Number 10 used to drive me crazy, and still does undecided
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by adedayourt(m): 2:49pm On Dec 06, 2014
6. God help you if you’re living under your parent’s roof and you yell at them, slam a door in anger, and/or curse in their presence. Yeah, God help you.

4 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Livingwalker(m): 2:50pm On Dec 06, 2014
No 23 was the scariest ...once I hear my name in full I just no say I don die ......I don't bother asking wat did I do cus I know whatever it is I am dem wrong .....I go just prepare myself for the worst ..truth be told na thunderous slap dey welcome my presence they go don beat me finish before I go know waiting I do ..I suffer sha

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by abila122: 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2014
Nigerian parents are the best in the world no matter what anyone says.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by arsetalks(m): 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2014
Funny. They want you to study that course they did or due to circumstances failed to do and you are a bastard if you disagree.

You must finish the meal before eating the meat. No reason, you sha must not touch the meat till the meal is finished.

Having a friend from the opposite sex is now allowed. You are promiscuous ( not all case) if you do.

Your parents always come first in class in all the exams.

If you do something bad, na your mama you resemble. When you do something good, You are the son of your father.

5 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 06, 2014
nickz:
lmao.............. just reminded me of my fathers beating.....if he slaps you and you form boss/strongman or you act like you didn't feel itgrin
never really understood ibo that time
alll dawned on me not too long ago
he would say "so you are forming teminator for me nicholas,i gbago dimkpa right??"
after this statement you had to follow this rules if you wanted to survive

Rule 1:don't try to run
Rule 2:maintain maximum eye to eye contact
Rule 3:don't try to call my mums name while begging (my mother will from nowhere plant 2 "saddam hussein type bomb" slaps on your cheek)
Rule 4:don't shout too much...complicates things
Rule 5:always stay on his left hand side(he's left-handed so the force of the slap won't be that heavy if you position well
Rule6:if he's using a cane and it falls off his hand,act very fast;pick it up and hand it over to him ASAP
Rule7:don't anticipate "the end"...........the end might be 2 weeks later

Wish I could give you a thousand likes on this one.

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by nickz(m): 2:56pm On Dec 06, 2014
Livingwalker:

Hahahhahaaaaa chai ....you are so on point ...I taught I was the only one ooo that observed this rules hahahaha I stubborn sha
what can i say?? gringringrin

smart parents raise smart childrengringringrin
there was also the tactics of if you broke something very expensive or spoilt something.....once he comes back,just rush and start washing his car......pull off your shart a sprinkle water on your head to make it look like you're over-sweatinggringrin
chances of recieving beating 2/10cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by PlutoLA(m): 2:57pm On Dec 06, 2014
Lol so true
Another one OP didn't mention,when your father farts,you dare not complain or act irritated with the smell,you sit there and enjoy the fumes
And God help you if you dare mess your own in his presence

3 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Nmeri17: 2:59pm On Dec 06, 2014
Bunsky:
This thread is just hitting front page, since may 2013.
Nawao

No o. sh1t made fp back then. I remember seeing this topic on fp before. look at the likes
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by nickz(m): 3:08pm On Dec 06, 2014
MhisIjay:
you my sister was very lucky!!grin

my mum would use my dad's clipper to cut it for you!!!
TO HER UTTERMOST SATISFACTION!!gringrin
i don't want to remember what it looked like after her very un-professional haircut

1 Like

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by Mashkov: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2014
op. God bless you plenty for this post. It's really healthy remembering growing up. Chai! Our parents chanced us o! It was all good and that's why we are what we are today
Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by seunny4lif(m): 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2014
All Nigerian parents are always the 1st in there classes or schools..I wonder who come be the 2nd for class thn? I hate it more when my mom will call my name,only to find out dat she only needed me to pass her fone 2 her when the fone is right there in her front..U dare nt receive a fone call for ur papa or mama present whn u no crazecheesycheesy Even till nw,I still dey find am hard 2 receive call for my mama front...U must become a Doctor,lawyer or Engineer any other profession is nt valid...Almost all Naija parent na dem be professional barber ooh with nice tiger blade ur hair don go be dat....

2 Likes

Re: 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house by kuuljay(m): 3:17pm On Dec 06, 2014
Omg,you are 1oo percent right.let me add mine

i remember as a pre teen one boy in jss 3 sent a love letter to me.there was no phone or social networks then and he put the letter in one colourful enveloped,perfumed it and sent it througj a juniour in jss1.when i read the letter he sent to me ' you are the love of my life,i cant sleep without thinking of you,you are the most beautiful girl i have ever seen and other bull sh1t like that,i was so happy cheesy i kept the letter so closely and when i got home my mom asked me to remove my school uniform and go and spread it on the railings.meanwhile the letter was inside my school uniform and i forgot it was there and so the letter fell off my pocket while she was washing clothes,of course she saw the wind blowing it off and she said shewa go and bring that paper ( in my mind i was like moku o) i said it is just rough paper and she said abi ori awon ale baba e daru ni,i said go and brinmg that paper that flew off from your pocket.if that paper should go i will kill you today.

Anyway i chased the letter and gave her.she read it out and stood up to adjust her wrapper again.she said ha shewa otiku leni.ti awon ota e mati baje. cheesy i was already vibrating.she said so because you are already growing breast,you want to bring pregnancy into this house abi.she started beating and biting me.she said dont you know if a boy start sending letters to you he will touch you and if he touches you,you will get pregnant.it is today i will kill you.so you have started following boys cheesy you want to waste my money abi cheesy

the woman beat me like tomorrow no dey.when my dad came back from work she showed him,my dad said so you want to get pregnant abi.otirinrinkurin,oya kneel down cheesy since then,they changed my school to all girls school cheesy
today when i remember,i laugh at my selfcheesy
haaaaa shewa! I have finally found you.so this is what happened Haa the world is a small place wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Takes His Wife's Underwear To His Church For Prayers / 1-Day-Old Baby Found In A River In Osun (graphic Photos) / When Is The Best Period To Introduce A Child To Sex Education And How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.