Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,172 members, 7,811,408 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

What Nollywood Films Are Known For? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (7849 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Seun(m): 3:45pm On Apr 30, 2008
Indian movies are known for their music, supported by colorful sets and costumes, flamboyant cinematography, and melodramatic romantic stories. Asian movies are known for their action, supported by martial arts and wire-fu stunts. Hollywood movies are known for their big budgets, supported by everything lots of money can buy.

But what positive things are Nollywood films known for?

My opinion: the down-to-earth nature of their plots, the dynamic (shaky) camera work, the dry-looking locations and costumes: these factors give Nigerian movies a documentary feel. They feel like real life stories. Maybe that's what's unique about Nollywood movies? Maybe they are good at making us feel they could happen in real life? I know that's why my friend likes to watch Super Story; she believes the stories are based on real life stories.

What do you think? What's unique about Nigerian movies? In what respects are they superior to foreign ones?
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by koko777(m): 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2008
Well, i'll say 'story line' most is like folktales. lets encourage them though, the English acts are nice but the pure native acts are too dry for my liking.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by opokonwa(m): 4:33pm On Apr 30, 2008
Juju
Wanting to get rich quick
Poor Directing and story lines
Unnecessary shouting in the name of 'advertising'
Same actors everywherein over 50 movies!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 4:39pm On Apr 30, 2008
Stupid love stories

Lack of a coherent storyline

Un-necessary prolonging of a short stories i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3

Incompetent producers, actors and actresses

Indecent dressing

Poor endings to movies

Bad sound quality

Poor english and editing

Plagiarism

Usage of camcorder and camera phone to shoot movies

Consistent usage of the same set of cast and crew without checking suitability,

High turnover of crap movies

Excessive market influx of poor quality movies

Lack of common sense

{ok i need to go to bed!}

1 Like

Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Seun(m): 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2008
@dee02: Positive things only please, sir. wink
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 4:51pm On Apr 30, 2008
Seun:

@dee02: Positive things only please, sir. wink

The Post didnt specify Sir Seun!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Seun(m): 4:55pm On Apr 30, 2008
But what positive things are Nollywood films known for?
In what respects are they superior to foreign ones?
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 4:57pm On Apr 30, 2008
Seun:

I am afraid ZILCH, they are dat bad!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sisikill: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2008
Nigeria movies are good at…
Remaking other movies especially Indian Movies
Making the buffiest of all movie buff lose interest in movies
Making you suspend disbelief when you see a 40 yrs old man acting 21.
And last but not least, giving people like me hope.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sisikill: 7:12pm On Apr 30, 2008
dee02:

I am afraid ZILCH, they are that bad!

Nah. . .Nah, you just have to find a way to say the negative things in a postive way. For instance. . .

Poor English and editing becomes retaining  Authenticity.

Un-necessary prolonging of a short story i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3 becomes very well adept with storyline continuity.

Indecent dressing becomes showcasing Nigeria’s Beauties.

Consistent usage of the same set of cast and crew without checking suitability becomes low turnover rate of Cast and crew.

Plagiarism becomes paying homage to other movies. Imitation being the best compliment and all

See. . .say the negative things in a positive way.

You’re welcome.  wink
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2008
Sisikill:

Nah. . .Nah, you just have to find a way to say the negative things in a postive way. For instance. . .

Poor English and editing becomes retaining Authenticity.

Un-necessary prolonging of a short story i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3 becomes very well adept with storyline continuity.

Indecent dressing becomes showcasing Nigeria’s Beauties.

Consistent usage of the same set of cast and crew without checking suitability becomes low turnover rate of Cast and crew.

Plagiarism becomes paying homage to other movies. Imitation being the best compliment and all

See. . .say the negative things in a positive way.

You’re welcome. wink

your opinion Sisikill, i have said my own

one man's CU/M is another man's AKAMU!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2008
I would rather wallow in a dog's poo than watch a nolly-jargon movie!

Please dont crucify me ya'all, it is my opinion!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sisikill: 9:14pm On Apr 30, 2008
dee02:

your opinion Sisikill, i have said my own

one man's CU/M is another man's AKAMU!

First off. . .ewww!

Secondly, Mr. Seun said we should say something positive When he knows very well there's nothing good to say, so I figure why not spin it on him, eh? He can't say we're not following the rules, now can he?

dee02:

Please don't crucify me ya'all, it is my opinion!

Rotflmao. . .that bad, hun?

nolly-jargon. . .Hi la rious!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by maybelle: 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2008
Lack of nudity, vulgarism and that sort.
Spirituality, about Jesus and God.

To God be the Glory.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2008
Sisikill:

First off. . .ewww!

Secondly, Mr. Seun said we should say something positive When he knows very well there's nothing good to say, so I figure why not spin it on him, eh? He can't say we're not following the rules, now can he?

Rotflmao. . .that bad, hun?

nolly-jargon. . .Hi la rious!

Sisikill i dig u jare
you r officially initiated and u shall pay homage to me when u touch Nairaland or wont u?!lol
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by yemmydavid(m): 9:32am On May 01, 2008
dee02:

Usage of camcorder and camera phone to shoot movies

guy na wa 4 u o!!!!!!!!!!!! use of camera fone to shoot a movie?

AS HOW?
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by wendymanda: 9:39am On May 01, 2008
dee02:

Please don't crucify me ya'all, it is my opinion!

They are not that bad. Well if you haven't been exposed to them.

This is one of the funniest threads on Nairaland. Could be because am high on caffeine pills or its my third all nighter of the week but I am cracking the f up. Firstly Dee02 is funny and the quoting of seun with nothing inside has me crying from laughter.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by anonimi: 11:19am On May 01, 2008
* Good story line in a very few classic movies that showcase naija realities to some extent.
* Big mansions, luxury cars even though the road leading to the house is a dirt(farm) road and secondary forest around the property.
* Display naija fashion even when it means dressing up while supposedly relaxing at home.

i have tried to be positive, even though it is very difficult with the majority of what is called Nollywood movies(?)
really i mostly watch OGD and Mainframe productions as well as those featuring RMD, Olu Jacobs.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by buffead(f): 3:47pm On May 01, 2008
wow look at da way some of u guys are just yabbing na wa oooo since u guys said nigerians movies are rubbish i bet da ghanians ones are far better than dem abi!!! grin

Nigerians mmmmm na wa for una plizz oo dont eat me up oo
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Coleslove: 4:13pm On May 01, 2008
Hmmm, +ive things.

One moment, emmmm ok.
1. Acting scenes in the Jungle and yet their feet are not soiled with Dirt/Mud.
2. Don't shoot real guns
3. Don't really kiss each other
4. Same faces in almost all movies and no new ones
5. They all have one storyline
6. To be contd,
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by mowetej: 5:57pm On May 01, 2008
NIGERIAN MOVIES
Be Realistic Nigerians
THE MOVIES ARE OK [b][/b]EXCEPT FOR SOME REALLY BAD ONES
LIKE A MOVIE WHERE APERSON IS SHOT IN THE LEG STARTS BLEEDING IN THE MOUTH.
OR AGUY WHO JUMPS ON A CAR INSTEAD OF IT HITTING HIM.
IT MIGHT BE LOW BUDGET BUT NOT LOW QUALITY .PEOPLE FILMMAKERS SHOULD BE MORE CREATIVE.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by fire4fire: 6:22pm On May 01, 2008
Nigerian Movies are known for

1) Your age mate can act as your father in a movie, Just make him up with grey hairs
2) Accidents happening on an express with no incoming car, or collision with another car
3) Sound or song of the movie must be the same as the title of the film
4) Any movie must have part 1 & 2
5) It must end with "To God be the Glory"
6) Always marketed at 51 Iweka Rd Onitsha,Pound Rd Aba or 21 Idumota mkt
7) Any visit to the police station must always be shown with bruises,swollen chicks and Red eyes.
cool All story lines looks like real life stories, Nothing like fiction
9) No distruction of property in movies
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by hilli666(m): 7:14pm On May 01, 2008
They make you feel proud of  beign Nigerian

They bring international awareness to certain socio economic crises in out coutry

They provide a means of entertianment and a source of income to the industry

Our celebrities now can afford mansions in malibu with the likes of Tom Cruise

With the income derived from exporting our films, we can now build roads and  schools

The film industry is pioneering Nigeria into the era of mordernisation

Our political structure is being revamped because of  Nigerian Films

Even American directors come to Nigeria from round the world to study our impeccable techniques

No more armed robbery because of Nigerian Films

The police refuse to indulge in petty bribery because Nigeriam film have brought  them hope

Poverty has been eradicated from the country because of our lucrative film industry

Nigeria is now a first world country and is fast becoming a world power because of the Film industry

The cure for AIdS WAS found during the shooting of A Nigerian movie in the jungles of abeakuta.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by hilli666(m): 7:17pm On May 01, 2008
[size=72pt]NOT[/size]
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sisikill: 10:20pm On May 01, 2008
hilli666:

They make you feel proud of beign Nigerian

They bring international awareness to certain socio economic crises in out coutry

With the income derived from exporting our films, we can now build roads and schools

Our political structure is being revamped because of Nigerian Films

Even American directors come to Nigeria from round the world to study our impeccable techniques

The police refuse to indulge in petty bribery because Nigeriam film have brought them hope

Poverty has been eradicated from the country because of our lucrative film industry

Nigeria is now a first world country and is fast becoming a world power because of the Film industry

The cure for AIdS WAS found during the shooting of A Nigerian movie in the jungles of abeakuta.

hilli666:

[size=72pt]NOT[/size]

ROTFLMAOPIMP

oooh, you done gone done it! You in big trouble now, mister. Big Big Trouble
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by ebelegirl(f): 10:53pm On May 01, 2008
hilli666:

They make you feel proud of beign Nigerian

With the income derived from exporting our films, we can now build roads and schools

Our political structure is being revamped because of Nigerian Films

The police refuse to indulge in petty bribery because Nigeriam film have brought them hope

OMG this quote is hilarious- especially the line about the "film industry eradicating poverty"!!! Where did u get that info?? All of what u have said is beyond false,
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Sisikill: 2:55am On May 02, 2008
@ ebelegirl
Hence the NOT.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Nobody: 5:14am On May 02, 2008
You guys are something else, you cracked me up. Sisikill and Hilli we need you guys in Nollywood for creativity cheesy grin grin
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Kobojunkie: 6:48am On May 02, 2008
I don't know what it is about those movies. You watch a Nollywood movie and you get all angry and want to go out to punch someone's lights out. It's that bad. I remember trying to be a good sibling, staying awake to watch one of them movies which had about 4 parts to it, with my youngest sibling. I was pissed all through and was even worse at the end cause I felt I had wasted precious time on nothing. I pelt to go straight to the gym and hit the punching bag the rest of the night. LMAO!!!

Nigerian movies used to be really good. Back in the days of small drama, we had Linx, Winds Against my soul, Fiery Force, We had some really good movies back then. But then as time went buy, we traded in qualty for quantity and all went to hell. I hope we have some people up there who would try to take a step back and do better.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by tyna1(f): 7:24am On May 02, 2008
Thanks to Nollywood movies i am now a movie critic expert.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by ehie007(m): 8:17am On May 02, 2008
Nigerian home videos are sleeping and house wives tonic, i just dont dig them, but i watch them by mistake if theres nothing to watch on t.v.

they need to improve in their directing, and the prolonging of a short film to av part 1,2,3, is meaningless.

Anyway wish them the best, they are all we got in the country.
Another thing they need to eradicate in our movies is the issue of tribalism, most of the movies are full of igbo actors and their movies are related to igbo culture and community they should mix it up for beeter acceptance by all nigerians.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Kobojunkie: 8:28am On May 02, 2008
I object to that . There is nothing wrong with focusing on one tribe vs another in movies. Jeezzz, Aren't people allowed to be themselves anymore?? what sort of warped political correctness are you calling for here?? The movies should be as they are when it comes to tribal issues. We all know that there are different cultures and focusing on each is ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Place In The Stars - Trailer / Bleach: The Best Zanpaktou And Its Unique Characteristics / Family Guy Vs The Simpsons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.