Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,434 members, 7,826,680 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

What Nollywood Films Are Known For? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (7867 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by janami(f): 5:56pm On May 02, 2008
predictability
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by maybelle: 8:42pm On May 02, 2008
don't really kiss each other? That's good. We don't want it to be seductive like hollywood just modest. Nigerian movies must be unique different and set the example for the world.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by naijadiva2(f): 8:45pm On May 02, 2008
they're known for life lessons like poisoning someone's food after they did you wrong. LOL
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by SignorZax: 12:30pm On May 03, 2008
The only good thing about Nigerian Home Videos is:

TO GOD BE THE GLORY
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 03, 2008
i must not be caught watching a naija movie.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by OsunAmazon: 10:17pm On May 03, 2008
While other african nationals who also watch Hollywoodd and Bollywood movies praise Nollywood, Nigerians are busy pointing at the nitty gritty of the movie industry from their couch. If Nollywood is crappy as most of you point out here, WHY CONTINUE WATCHING AND PIRATING THEIR MOVIES?.

Nigerians can even criticize God one day and I think it's the side effect of bribery, greed, maltreatment from their govt that has plagued them for years.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by OsunAmazon: 10:43pm On May 03, 2008
Another thing they need to eradicate in our movies is the issue of tribalism, most of the movies are full of igbo actors and their movies are related to igbo culture and community they should mix it up for beeter acceptance by all nigerians.

I don't think so. I think the issue of the origin of the ibo movie industry came into play here. Nollywood is simply the former  ibo movie industry baptized. If Nollywood is an ibo industry/culture, so be it. We have yoruba movies too, nobody is forcing the yorubas to make their movies in a certain way to appeal to other Nigerians and beyond. If bini,s Ishans, Efik's etc want to bring their culture to limelight, they are free to start their own movie empire. Igodo which was a great nollywood epic is a Benin empire folk story but ibos converted it to a motion picture and attributed it as an ibo story. Does that mean the Benin people should hold them liable for plagiarism?

I hope you know this movie business was pioneered by the yorubas, ibos can't take that away from them but the problem here is that ibos invested more into the industry and I bet you, it's working because these actors are cutting international deals here and there besides, Nollywood is projecting many non ibo stars/directors  these days although the theme of their movies still sorrounds the ibo culture. It's obvious from all and sundry that in ten years time, Nollywood will be bigger than the IBO'S whether they like it or not. I still give them thumbs though for creating one thing that actually worked in Nigeria. Besides oil, Nigeria used to export lots of things but these days we only export oil and movies. It wont hurt to encourage them. If somebody can risk his/her money to produce a Nigerian movie where there is no functioning theatres, 90% piracy etc and not even the vending machines to recoup the production money, wouldnt that be commendable?

How many of you here will agree to invest $10K in a movie in Naija knowing full well that Aba pirates are watching you? It's kind of funny that most Nollywood critics are their movie addicts and they are the ones that cannot pay a dime but prefer to pay the pirates less to see the movie.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by OsunAmazon: 10:50pm On May 03, 2008
By the way, I saw Xplosion last night, that obi okoli is one hell of an actor. It's a very beautiful movie and I am giving it a 9/10. The movie for sure is better than most crap that come from hollywood these days like Michael Clayton(George clooney), I am legend(Will smith) etc.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by akara(m): 12:11pm On May 04, 2008
Nigerian movies are not known for anything, but they do give an insight into the workings of the our mentality as Nigerians.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by girl22(f): 2:18pm On May 04, 2008
nollywood movies are known for by being boring and poorly made. no offense but they suck.
they have no creativity. its the same boring plot every video. a tragic or cinderella type love story. an evil priest against a good man/priest. somebody trying to get a green card. no scary movies,no epic mocies, no thrillers,action,suspense. dont even have 3d or animated films.

i agree with OsunAmazon, forget the tribalism. that's why africa cannot go anywhere. jusrt make good movies with good actors,damn.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 04, 2008
the same critics on here end up buying and watching the so called boring nollywood movies.
na wa for una sha. the industry still dey grow and na una money dem take act all those movies.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by OsunAmazon: 9:45pm On May 04, 2008
the same critics on here end up buying and watching the so called boring nollywood movies.
na wa for una sha. the industry still dey grow and na una money them take act all those movies.
One of my friends always always tells me something bad about nollywood and if it were for her, I wouldnt have started watching it but I kept asking her why she keeps ordering them and spending her money when the movie is nothing to write home at all. I was like, stop encouraging them for making that nonsense but she refused, that's how I knew that there is something else mixed up in this criticism. I left Naija long before Nollywood became a household name and that's why I'm kind of behind on them a little. I actually started watching years back because all my friends from other parts of Africa except Nigeria always have something good to say about Nollywood. One even asked me why our people don't support the only industry in Africa that seems to be working. If we can't support our home industry in Nigeria, we got a problem.

Hollywood makes 100's of crappy movies every year but critics can only criticize and rate the movie but will never tell you that hollywood is bunkum because they'll not only hurt American pride but underscore the good ones they make. Thats why they rate movies.

I like me some Nollywood movies, bad ones are there for sure but classy ones dey too. As for the money, i think the rate at which  these people badmouthing nollywood are pirating their movies abroad , something needs to be done soon or they'll go broke because it's people that spend money to make those movies.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by naijababi: 11:39pm On May 04, 2008
Dee2 said it all!! but at the same time movies are getting better and some story lines are beautiful. I'm a huge fan of naija movies. even if they annoy the hell out of me sometimes i still love them
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by iice(f): 4:31am On May 05, 2008
They are known for fast production grin
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Nobody: 10:28am On May 05, 2008
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by amaikama(m): 2:19pm On May 05, 2008
Nollywood! Nollywood!! wat's nollywood is known for hmmm!!! apart from one actor or actress appearing in almost all the movies in a year, i really don't know wat they are known for undecided

sorri cry
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Anuliph(f): 9:25pm On May 05, 2008
I would say the fine actors and actresses. and also, the fact that they believe they re the best thing that happened to the Nigerian entertainment industry
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Uche2nna(m): 9:40pm On May 05, 2008
@ OsunAmazon

Well said. Ur objectivity speaks for itself and I am genuinely impressed.

@ Topic

If Nollywood is soooooo bad and still brings in respectable revenue , I wonder what would happen when professionalism is infused into the industry.
Every poster here is giving thumbs down (including moi) but the industry is still raging on. That should make U wonder who are the consumers then.

Nollywood has attained some heights and it has done this without any governmental help. Some group of individuals have taken a non-existent sector and turned it into a booming industry, an industry Nigeria can call its own. Love it or hate it, the industry represents a source of revenue for a sizeable sector of the population.

Now instead of yapping how Igbos did that or Igbos did not do this, stake holders should all be concerned about taking the industry to the next level.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by loveme(f): 8:46am On May 06, 2008
They are known for wearring one hairstyle 4 10yrs without changing it. and they will write 10yrs later but the same hairstyle.
Seriously, apart from some mistakes they make like the one i listed up, i think they are growing, lets encourage them.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Bblak(f): 4:05pm On May 06, 2008
Their Creativity cheesy don't want to dwell on their shortcomings because i know they are coming up and therefore needs to be encouraged
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by iice(f): 4:29pm On May 06, 2008
loveme:

They are known for wearring one hairstyle 4 10yrs without changing it. and they will write 10yrs later but the same hairstyle.

LMFAO!! grin grin
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by dee02(m): 6:14pm On May 06, 2008
CONTINUED

1) Nollywood is the place where actors and actresses- Smoke sheet of papers instead of cigarretes

2) Nollywood is where it is forbidden to have the prequel and sequel to a movie given the same title

3) Nollywood is an avenue to showcase "OBIOMA" products

4) Nollywood is where every dic/k, tom and harry as well as retards are allowed to act

5) Nollywood is famous for stupid soundtracks and deafening sound quality

6) Nollywood is known for productions by ELECTRONICS TRADING COMPANIES (Mostly situated in Alaba, Ebinpejo lane, Idumota and Iweka Road)
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by mohawkchic(f): 6:21pm On May 06, 2008
~Hmm most of the ones i have watched have Very Good Morals to the story so i'd say at best there's always something to learn from some of them!!
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by JeopardE(m): 12:49am On May 07, 2008
[quote="dee02"]Stupid love stories

Lack of a coherent storyline

Un-necessary prolonging of a short story i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3

Imcompetent producers, actors and actresses

Indecent dressing

Poor endings to movies

Bad sound quality

Poor english and editing

Plagiarism

Usage of camcorder and camera phone to shoot movies

Consistent usage of the same set of cast and crew without checking suitability,

High turnover of crap movies

Excessive market influx of poor quality movies

Lack of common sense

{ok i need to go to bed!}[/quote]

THIS. Also, apparently the concept of "director" doesn't seem to actually exist in Nollywood. And scenes that should last 15 seconds at most end up lasting 15 minutes. Gah.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by sheniqua: 12:52am On May 07, 2008
Like someone already said,the most annoying thing about nollywood movies is the part 2 part 3 nonsense.
I hate it!

Followed by those stupid loud sound effects and graphics.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by 4Him1(m): 12:53am On May 07, 2008
To God be the Glory.
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by sheniqua: 12:55am On May 07, 2008
ROFL
yes oh,they'll kill children,run over senior citizens and rape women then they end with to God be the glory
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Cadet(f): 12:55am On May 07, 2008
sheniqua:

Like someone already said,the most annoying thing about nollywood movies is the part 2 part 3 nonsense.
I hate it!
se na only part 1 and 2? Come see movies with part 6 here.

one of the annoying movies is Beyonce, the part 1 was awesome, when part 2 came out, it was just plain rubbish angry
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by sheniqua: 12:58am On May 07, 2008
Cadet:

se na only part 1 and 2? Come see movies with part 6 here.
one of the annoying movies is Beyonce, the part 1 was awesome, when part 2 came out, it was just plain rubbish angry

are you serious?
part 6 kwa?

I've not watched that many
My haidresser says there are some of the parts that even have a different title yet it's the same movie
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by sheniqua: 1:00am On May 07, 2008
4 Him:

To God be the Glory.

shouting praise the Lord in Nigeria is just like saying "Igbo kwenu"
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Cadet(f): 1:01am On May 07, 2008
sheniqua:

are you serious?
part 6 kwa?

I've not watched that many[b]
My haidresser says there are some of the parts that even have a different title yet it's the same movie[/b]
yep, just another annoying factor.

Nollywood, I hail thee
Re: What Nollywood Films Are Known For? by Deedi(f): 10:43am On May 07, 2008
PEOPLE PLEASE!!!!! u r so hilarious!!!!! Dee2 stop it!
no but really encourage not discourage, they ARE getting better, slowly but surely my people.

meanwhile if there are any movie makers in this forum PLEASEEESSSSS do away with the part 2 to infinity!its really annoying angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Place In The Stars - Trailer / Family Guy Vs The Simpsons / What Was The First Movie You Watched In 2013?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.