Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,358 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? (475 Views)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Where do Atheists go when they die? / Atheists Think They Know Things, But They Know Nothing (must Read). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 04, 2013

Personally, I think that the discussion here at times for everyone in the religion section should not only focus on the philosophical/religious but also the socio-political nature of things.

And kudos to the atheists/christians here who also bring up political matters. However, the islam section is becoming an anti-intellectual forum. Can you imagine that no one has brought up the protests in Turkey? This was also how they ignored the muslim riots in India and many other political news that would have been put on the religion section if they concerned christians/atheists.

Going back to the topic, the protests in Turkey are about two things-
-the secular/liberal muslims feeling that their leader, Erdogan is slowly moving towards islamizing their country
-the planned removal of a park...green movement

Now, these are muslims taking their secularism seriously. To me, I support them (although, I want peaceful demonstrations). They dont want their country to become like Iran that left a progressive system to become Islamic. Erdogan was already adopting conservative measures including talking of curbing alcohol and stopping abortion. Of course, the intellectuals at our very own muslim section will not write about this protest as it shows that even some muslims are wary of Islamic or sharia law in the government.

Personally, as an atheist, these protests inspire me. I believe in silent protests because mass protests like these always end up with police brutality (which has already happened), however, the messasage has been sent and the people have shown that they value their freedoms. If muslims can fight for secularism, what excuse does an atheist really have?

I am not asking anyone to go and protest in Nigeria! Please, there are better methods of suicide shocked shocked shocked. The point is that we should stand up for our rights. If we ever have a solid humanist or secular society in Nigeria, I would like to protest in a very silent way. Only spreading pamphlets and dvds for people to learn from door to door (and also using social media). Note; to any f4cktard xtian that wants to claim this is evangelism, please point out how silent protests are done differently.

My 2 cents
Re: Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? by Afam4eva(m): 8:11am On Jun 04, 2013
I think topics whether about protests in Turkey or India should be in the foreign section especially if it's news related.
Re: Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva: I think topics whether about protests in Turkey or India should be in the foreign section especially if it's news related.

That is very one dimensional

-There is a political side to the news (politics section-foreign affairs)
-There is a religious side the news (Religion section)

The story is two dimensional.
Re: Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 04, 2013
following the thread.....
Re: Turkish Muslims And Protests...what Do Atheists Think? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 04, 2013
991: following the thread.....

Better yet, why not comment?

(1) (Reply)

What Perception Do You View From? / The Greatest Enemies Of The Cross / What Do U Say To This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.