Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,517 members, 7,954,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:17 PM

Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? (3689 Views)

I Hate Tinubu / Yorubas hate tinubu/obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by gratiaeo(m): 12:01am On Jun 08, 2013
Garri the 1st: Going by what I've been seeing on NL, I can say that Tinubu is hated mostly by people from the South-Eastern part of the country. This is surprising since Tinubu's past actions and inactions affected mainly people in the southwest.

So my question is:
Why is Tinubu hated more by people who are not primarily affected by his actions and inactions??

********* bellow are those who hate Tinubu most********

1. HID Awololo
2. Pastor Tunde Bakare
3. Late Gani Fawehinm
4. Nuhu Ribadu
None of them are Igbo

1 Like

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 08, 2013
gratiaeo:

1. HID Awololo
2. Pastor Tunde Bakare
3. Late Gani Fawehinm
4. Nuhu Ribadu
None of them are Igbo
you forgot to add Labour Party, Lagos Chapter who supported Fashola in the last election but didn't fail to pour their hate for Tinubu. I can remember the sms sent to lagosians by Labour Party condemning the tyrannical attitude of Tinubu towards his influence in Lagos politics.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by dayokanu(m): 12:31am On Jun 08, 2013
When you look at your home state and all you see Is hopelessness that makes every able bodied adult come to Tinubus region before they can make it.

What else can you do other than hate
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by remarkD(m): 1:19am On Jun 08, 2013
Well, your master and his cronies won't be allowed near the oil in Abia, Imo & Anambra, so all they'll have left to drill is the oil in your soup. <<<--- that's where they'll attache by force.
(Hopefully and maybe thats when we can now get reasonable comments from your and your ilk as you'll have less oil in your brain(s); not sure i can count on it though, most of ya brain cells is probably dissolved in the oil in your head).

Garri the 1st:

Which oil??

Attache by force!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by remarkD(m): 1:32am On Jun 08, 2013
These NL Yorubas never fail to disappoint. If not sly, cunning and mischeivious, how else can you describe the act of using a faceless forum (where you can't legitimately tell the ethnicity of a poster), where the total number of the posters is less than 0.1% of Nigerias population, to arrive at the conclusion that south-easterners hate Tinubu more than south-westerners in Nigeria.

This is not the first time and i know it wont be the last that they make ridiculous claims and conclusions that is totally anchored on false and inconclusive information. it is called a strawman arguement and i can post threads upon threads on NL where they engage in such intellectual dishonesty.
In the words of your brother Gbawe... have you no shame? lol... probably you don't... because if you guys had any self worth, you won't feel the need to be continuously making false claims against the Igbos.

If you like, don't use your time wisely and try to make your life better, keep on worrying what the Igbos are doing or not doing... or should I say allegedly liking or hating.

gratiaeo:

1. HID Awololo
2. Pastor Tunde Bakare
3. Late Gani Fawehinm
4. Nuhu Ribadu
None of them are Igbo

P.S Gratiaeo my comment was in support of your post...I wonder if they can name one Igbo Politician that has "beefed" Tinubu the way the above mentioned people have...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by SamIkenna: 7:27am On Jun 08, 2013
Gbawe: OP, I think you know the answer to your own question.

Ultmiately, who cares why they hate Tinubu? The man will keep doing his thing while hateful elements continue to shout. Folks in the SW, fully cognisant of the reality of Nigeria, will know Tinubu is an asset.

Good to know you can be part of NL gutter tribalism despite your supposedly political maturity and 'sophistication.' Does it surprise me? Probably not. Its a shame because some monikers are well known for this kind of threads while others won't even touch it with a ten-inch pole.

In democracy, people/groups will always have some level of entrenched political affiliations and ideologies. Some good ones and some bad ones and in midst of it all its my choice to subscribe to whatever makes me sleep at night. However, political maturity entails that, even in our noisy political-scape, I should be able to detect when an idea, a concept, or something as simple as a thread here in NL, has deviated from a healthy political discourse to something entirely gutterish.

Common sense demands that people who enjoy being professorial to others, especially in political matters, maintain decorum and avoid ethnic slugfests. When approached with a dumb subject, should either shun it completely or lampoon the purveyor. In your case, you not only didnt avoid a messy and tribally tinged Yoruba vs. Igbo thread like this one, you were too quick to join in and 'pump' the ingnorant OP. What do you think is the likely result/solution to this ignorant thread? A counter thread. We all need to use our heads.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by Gbawe: 8:33am On Jun 08, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

Good to know you can be part of NL gutter tribalism despite your supposedly political maturity and 'sophistication.' Does it surprise me? Probably not. Its a shame because some monikers are well known for this kind of threads while others won't even touch it with a ten-inch pole.

In democracy, people/groups will always have some level of entrenched political affiliations and ideologies. Some good ones and some bad ones and in midst of it all its my choice to subscribe to whatever makes me sleep at night. However, political maturity entails that, even in our noisy political-scape, I should be able to detect when an idea, a concept, or something as simple as a thread here in NL, has deviated from a healthy political discourse to something entirely gutterish.

Common sense demands that people who enjoy being professorial to others, especially in political matters, maintain decorum and avoid ethnic slugfests. When approached with a dumb subject, should either shun it completely or lampoon the purveyor. In your case, you not only didnt avoid a messy and tribally tinged Yoruba vs. Igbo thread like this one, you were too quick to join in and 'pump' the ingnorant OP. What do you think is the likely result/solution to this ignorant thread? A counter thread. We all need to use our heads.

What makes this a "tribal slugfest"? Is it because it speaks against the antics of some bigoted elements from your ethnic group? Is OP wrong? Look, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of me. Ultimately, I am about fairness and saying the truth as I perceive it. OP's question is legitimate and valid for this forum so spare me the sanctimonious lecture.

Look through my previous post to see OP says nothing I have not said many times before in relation to the whole Tinubu brouhaha. You should be ashamed that SE posters, when Tinubu has done no wrong to them politically or administratively, are the ones committed to the 24/7 vilification of the chap daily when they are fully aware he is well-respected by the folks he has represented in a political capacity.

You are not a fair-minded individual if you cannot understand why me and other Yorubas may be annoyed at how it is those Tinubu has done no wrong to and who he is not connected to who attack him constantly here whereas the average Yoruba, even if not a rabid fan, feels they owe Tinubu a debt of gratitude for ridding the SW of the enslavement of the PDP.

Anyone who cannot defend those he loves, respects and supports against unfair and hypocritical attacks, when push comes to shove, is not worthy of being called a man.

Below is an example of a thread where I have defended Tinubu. Go through them to see the vitriol against the man and those who contribute it. Tinubu is no worse than any other politician in Nigeria. Indeed, the reality is that he is far better than most.

https://www.nairaland.com/1041815/tinubu-us-democratic-convention-charlotte
Gbawe wrote:
People like you who speak with so much venomous ignorance are the ones making Tinubu popular and forcing others to defend him ala 'stick up for the underdog'. There may have been murderers, child molesters and many deviants in that hall yet, in your god-like wisdom, you conclude Tinubu "is the most ill qualified person to sit in that auditorium these past 3 days".

Na real wa for some Nairalanders. Let the man be and stop hating vacuously and blindly. He is not the President of Nigeria and he should be the least of your worries if you are a politically sophisticated people able to ambitiously demand effective leadership from those who actually have the office and power to deliver solutions.

https://www.nairaland.com/1041815/tinubu-us-democratic-convention-charlotte/1

Gbawe wrote:
Look, you can say what you want. My utterances are in the archives for everyone to inspect. What I despise is the hypocrisy that make you and others only passionate when talking of Tinubu. You guys call him a thief and say he is sucking Lagos dry yet you are not willing to speak like that about Orji Kalu, Anenih and even GEJ who is doing a terrible job leading Nigeria. Tell me how you think non-Nigerians will view you when you ignore very evil men to keep your entire focus on a man you speak of as if he is the biggest headache of Nigeria. Yet they only see him supporting progressive leaders who are delivering better leadership than others.

Everything is relational. That is what we are saying to people like you. In the case of Nigeria, and if we are entirely honest, there is bigotry behind the constant focus on a man who holds no official position while others are ignored when they are actually using their powerful jobs to drive Nigeria towards the brink of disintegration. Our Nation is run by crooks. Face it. Face your local crooks and stop this display of hypocrisy limited to vilifying Tinubu alone and all the time. Using the notion os "lesser devil", which is absolutely neccessary in the case of Nigeria, you guys should not be mentioning Tinubu as much as you do. What, for example, is worse than how GEJ is tacitly backing militants to take over the ND? Is that not a very serious issue with far reaching implications for Nigeria? yet I never see people like you showing you understand this and other grave issues. Meanwhile, when Tinubu sneezes, you guys will shout that he must be deposited in a hole 200 feet below the ground. Some of you need to get a grip and a sense of perspective.

Observe below Delafruita, a decent poster in my opinion, is doing the same as I have done to acknowledge the unobjective bile against Tinubu. It is obvious he makes the same point I do i.e the penchant for certain posters to attack a man who has done them no wrong yet has aided the progress of his region:

Delafruita wrote:
your sickness is getting worse.your obsession with tinubu is beginning to transfor into insanity.whether you like it or not,tinubu is a private citizen without any political power.that is one of the reasons i support fiscal federalism.let all states generate their own revenue and apply it as they wish.then you will see what the southwest will become.the government at the central is holding us back with its pitiful handling of the nigerian project.
when jonathan installed the governor of bayelsa,i didnt hear you complaining.when he installed the pdp chairman,i didnt hear you complain.when obasanjo installed oyinlola,oni,ladoja,akala,agagu,daniel......it was the poor westerners that suffered the consequences.now that people like fashola,oshiomole,ajimobi,amosun,aregbesola,fayemi have been foisted on us,did we complain to you?the "installed" governors of the ACN are far better than the products of PDP.if installation will continue to guarantee us this sort of progress,then we shhould perhaps start practicing it at the federal lever and even include it in our constituition

Look at the typical hateful response from an SE poster that is unclad bigotry personified. It is the sort of writing that will annoy even the most liberal Yoruba person because it is full of unobjective hatred for Tinubu who is a man respected by many from his own ethnic group. Some make the hypocritical vilification of the respected political leaders of others a past time, while pretending only virtue comes from their ethnic group as we have seen even in this thread, and you don't expect even the most detribalized Yorubas to take offence? As the hypocritical fool below infers, it is always Yorubas who have the problem and never others. Sad the truth on the ground ridicules this shameful hypocrisy.

Redsun wrote:
When you hear some yorubas defend this traitor of a man,tinubu,one can easily understand why some of them thought for real that awo's figure was on the moon,at the time of awo saga.They are blindly tribal and even harvard or oxford schooling can not make them see anything evil in a n evil person like tinubu.They failed to understand that criminals cannot represent society,irrespective of the tribal differences in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by rman: 8:43am On Jun 08, 2013
TouchDown:

Seriously.

People only know him in this neck of the woods because of his Sun newspapers which were initially really popular and his feud with Obasanjo (similar to the sympathy Amaechi gets against GEJ)

All I feel for anything happening outside the South-west is mere curiosity...

These Igbo guys on Nairaland join up with other Yoruba people who are, naturally, dissatisfied to criticize every government action since not all Yorubas are ACN sympathizers. In fact, most of the accusations levied on Tinubu are by his fellow Yoruba people (activists, rivals, idealists and disgruntled elements).

In my opinion, its not a bad phenomenon. It keeps the ACN governments on their toes and improves service delivery.

Meanwhile, the eastern states fly completely under the radar. Ebonyi anyone? People forget its as old as Osun... How long was Chime out for again? Theodore Orji nko?

The Anambrans seem to be a very proud sub-group and so Obi goes through a little scrutiny...

All politicians are crooks but the Eastern governors are a very lucky bunch.

Abi? When every educated adult from their states is busy attacking Fashola over the Ikoyi bridge and using Akpabio as the poster boy for how development should be...

Akpabio... Yet another non-southeastern governor.

Spot on!

Jackpot!
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by sbeezy8: 11:58am On Jun 08, 2013
gratiaeo:

1. HID Awololo
2. Pastor Tunde Bakare
3. Late Gani Fawehinm
4. Nuhu Ribadu
None of them are Igbo

berem: you forgot to add Labour Party, Lagos Chapter who supported Fashola in the last election but didn't fail to pour their hate for Tinubu. I can remember the sms sent to lagosians by Labour Party condemning the tyrannical attitude of Tinubu towards his influence in Lagos politics.

Whether the above mentioned party or people above hate tinubu is irrelevant because these are individuals from his regioin affected by his political decisions as for ribadu- he doesnt hate tinubu... dont know where you guys got that from.
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by sbeezy8: 12:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
@OP

Answer is simple.... 60% of those from the SE are not based in the SE but the SW and north. Imagine 50% of igbos know more about political situations in the SW than SW know about SE.

Most SW people cannot tell you a thing about the governors of any SE states because they don't pay attention to that region honestly. I've seen post by Igbo guys about Aregbesola work in Osun and even Oshiomole edo and how they govern their own states, why? i dont know, because its not their states.

SO I WONT SAY ITS SE but generally the igbo people who are based or plan on relocating to the ACN states for opportunities.
if SW people lived in the SE, yoruba people would concern themselves with SE politics but they dont....
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by SamIkenna: 5:30pm On Jun 08, 2013
Gbawe:

What makes this a "tribal slugfest"? Is it because it speaks against the antics of some bigoted elements from your ethnic group? Is OP wrong? Look, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of me. Ultimately, I am about fairness and saying the truth as I perceive it. OP's question is legitimate and valid for this forum so spare me the sanctimonious lecture.

Look through my previous post to see OP says nothing I have not said many times before in relation to the whole Tinubu brouhaha. You should be ashamed that SE posters, when Tinubu has done no wrong to them politically or administratively, are the ones committed to the 24/7 vilification of the chap daily when they are fully aware he is well-respected by the folks he has represented in a political capacity.

You are not a fair-minded individual if you cannot understand why me and other Yorubas may be annoyed at how it is those Tinubu has done no wrong to and who he is not connected to who attack him constantly here whereas the average Yoruba, even if not a rabid fan, feels they owe Tinubu a debt of gratitude for ridding the SW of the enslavement of the PDP.

Anyone who cannot defend those he loves, respects and supports against unfair and hypocritical attacks, when push comes to shove, is not worthy of being called a man.

Below is an example of a thread where I have defended Tinubu. Go through them to see the vitriol against the man and those who contribute it. Tinubu is no worse than any other politician in Nigeria. Indeed, the reality is that he is far better than most.

Gbawe wrote:

https://www.nairaland.com/1041815/tinubu-us-democratic-convention-charlotte/1

Gbawe wrote:

Observe below Delafruita, a decent poster in my opinion, is doing the same as I have done to acknowledge the unobjective bile against Tinubu. It is obvious he makes the same point I do i.e the penchant for certain posters to attack a man who has done them no wrong yet has aided the progress of his region:

Delafruita wrote:

Look at the typical hateful response from an SE poster that is unclad bigotry personified. It is the sort of writing that will annoy even the most liberal Yoruba person because it is full of unobjective hatred for Tinubu who is a man respected by many from his own ethnic group. Some make the hypocritical vilification of the respected political leaders of others a past time, while pretending only virtue comes from their ethnic group as we have seen even in this thread, and you don't expect even the most detribalized Yorubas to take offence? As the hypocritical fool below infers, it is always Yorubas who have the problem and never others. Sad the truth on the ground ridicules this shameful hypocrisy.

Redsun wrote:

You're free to defend anyone of your choosing. Nothing wrong with that, ok. However, what I find unsettling is your first post to a potential tribal e-war which states thus:
Gbawe: OP, I think you know the answer to your own question.

Ultmiately, who cares why they hate Tinubu? The man will keep doing his thing while hateful elements continue to shout. Folks in the SW, fully cognisant of the reality of Nigeria, will know Tinubu is an asset.

Its interesting to know you were the 3rd person to comment on a thread that reads:
Garri the 1st: Going by what I've been seeing on NL, I can say that Tinubu is hated mostly by people from the South-Eastern part of the country. This is surprising since Tinubu's past actions and inactions affected mainly people in the southwest.

So my question is:
Why is Tinubu hated more by people who are not primarily affected by his actions and inactions??

and the best action you could come up with was to explicitly add more fuel to Yoruba vs. Igbo fire.

Defending Tinubu is one thing but dragging our respective ethnic groups into this unending exchange is reprehensible.

Now the question is - why did I call you out? Of all monikers why Gbawe?
The Answer is simple. You've established yourself as a relatively healthy NL political discussant. Not that I share most of your views, but atleast your ability to engage and not back down from whatever passionate views of your choice is what stands you apart.

You've been in NL long before I registered here and I believe it would be disingenuous if you said you didn't know this thread was a potential ethnic war that would add no real value to EAST-WEST political discourse.

Part of what makes a man is his ability to remain steadfast and not join the crowd because of the momemtary convenience. To prove my point, another thread is now asking why SW people hate Ojukwu. So should I join in and start poking on SW people? We know some people will but should people like me join in a Yoruba hate-fest because its appealing to few folks? There's no doubt many will fall for ethnic okie doke any time, but the few that refuse to be dragged into it (defense of our idols notwithstanding) will remain the face of our tomorrow.

My take on this issue ends here.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by EkoIle1: 6:39pm On Jun 08, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

You're free to defend anyone of your choosing. Nothing wrong with that, ok. However, what I find unsettling is your first post to a potential tribal e-war which states thus:

Its interesting to know you were the 3rd person to comment on a thread that reads:

and the best action you could come up with was to explicitly add more fuel to Yoruba vs. Igbo fire.

Defending Tinubu is one thing but dragging our respective ethnic groups into this unending exchange is reprehensible.

Now the question is - why did I call you out? Of all monikers why Gbawe?
The Answer is simple. You've established yourself as a relatively healthy NL political discussant. Not that I share most of your views, but atleast your ability to engage and not back down from whatever passionate views of your choice is what stands you apart.

You've been in NL long before I registered here and I believe it would be disingenuous if you said you didn't know this thread was a potential ethnic war that would add no real value to EAST-WEST political discourse.

Part of what makes a man is his ability to remain steadfast and not join the crowd because of the momemtary convenience. To prove my point, another thread is now asking why SW people hate Ojukwu. So should I join in and start poking on SW people? We know some people will but should people like me join in a Yoruba hate-fest because its appealing to few folks? There's no doubt many will fall for ethnic okie doke any time, but the few that refuse to be dragged into it (defense of our idols notwithstanding) will remain the face of our tomorrow.

My take on this issue ends here.

Regardless of any perceived tribal or ethnic connotations , we are all entitled to our opinions and views and if his opinion robs you the wrong way, that's fine, but must you question and fault people for their entitled opinion?
Re: Why Do People From South East Hate Tinubu More Than Those From South-west? by SamIkenna: 8:12pm On Jun 08, 2013
Eko Ile:

Regardless of any perceived tribal or ethnic connotations , we are all entitled to our opinions and views and if his opinion robs you the wrong way, that's fine, but must you question and fault people for their entitled opinion?

I earlier indicated my take on this subject was over. However, I'm tempted to respond to your question and therefore, I apologize for breaking my word.

If you read my post I made it clear there's nothing wrong in defending our idols or leaders. But if you consider yourself an objective and respectable individual then you must do so with decorum and political correctness, even if it hurts. You must not explicitly or implicitly drag unhealthy ethnic rivalry and tribalism into it else you debase yourself and make nonsense of your political objectivity credential.

Now, do I expect many Nlers to understand or buy into my position? No. The reason is because in the history of humanity 'majority' will always belong to 'follow-follow' group while a few select shares the endowment of leadership and moderation. I believe the fellow I was calling out knows the group he belongs.

Besides, ask yourself this - what is the benefit of this thread? Nothing, except it helped create another thread that asks why SW people hate Ojukwu. So from git-go you know this thread is tailor-made for Yoruba vs Igbo target-practice. If you dont see what I mean then too bad.

And for the records, I have a good and seasoned chin for any kind of political jab. If you think I'm 'upset' because it 'robs on me the wrong way' then you're far from the truth. However, as person I prefer a more robust political discourse (heated or not, it makes no difference) rather than this usual NL kitchen-sink that most folks engage in.

One more thing - I do hope that someday you, Eko Ile, will join some of us who have made it a duty to shun unnecessary Yoruba/Igbo verbal assaults.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Canada Deports Family Back To Nigeria. / Ogun Generates N6bn monthly / Even if Buhari presents Nepa bill, I will vote for him- Victor Ikpeba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.